• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

LordRaptor

Its fucking hilarious how borderline kotakuinaction some folks response to BOTWs metacritic is.

Im half expecting an "its about ethics in zelda reviews" campaign.

We all know Nintendo makes the sourest grapes, but seems zelda is full of extra salt

I feel like the Switch is Nintendo's best designed hardware ever (is that controversial?). Definitely a huge step up from the Wii/Wii U.

There's no such thing as pacing in video games. Good games allow the player the agency to play at their own liking

And pacing means nothing because its up to the player to decide whether they go fast or slow, not the developer.

LordRaptor

There's no such thing as pacing in video games. Good games allow the player the agency to play at their own liking

And pacing means nothing because its up to the player to decide whether they go fast or slow, not the developer.

You probably need to define what you mean by pacing, because most games do indeed have pacing, whether its something as simple as faster music in SMB when below a certain time limit remaining, the distinct gameplay phases in a grand strategy title of exploration, expansion, competition and consolidation, or the AI director of the Left 4 Dead series actively monitoring gameplay intensity.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Breath of the Wild will be praised for "innovations" that have already been seen in other open world games and forgiven for things other open world games have been savaged for.

The more interesting thing to come out of BotW is that Nintendo did open world games before anyone else.

I feel like the Switch is Nintendo's best designed hardware ever (is that controversial?). Definitely a huge step up from the Wii/Wii U.

Not really. The main complaints about it have been the UI, or missing features, or how thin the library is so far.

Speaking of the library, I've never played any of the Zelda games and I'm not a big fan of open world exploration, so the fact that the Switch is launching with Zelda means jack shit to me. The first year lineup is a wasteland for me thanks to the lackluster launch lineup and yawning gap in third-party titles. Splatoon 2 and Mario are the only games I'm interested in.

We aren't even seeing many Japanese games with Vita ports being put on the Switch. That says more about third party interest then their vague "the Switch is super-duper interesting" PR spin. And it sucks.

So what you are saying is that I should have watched those 2 hour cutscenes in MGS4 faster?

Dark Souls 1 is my favourite game of all time but, holy hell, the deified status that Souls and Bloodborne have reached on this forum is fucking unbearable.

At least once a week, we get a thread named something completely uninventive like "Bloodborne/Souls is the fucking best" with absolutely no intention of any meaningful discussion but circlejerking. Unsurprisingly, followed by about 3 pages of...

"Wow, I like this game too!"
"Best game of the generation!"
"Des < DS > DS2 > BB <><>< DS3"

Before the thread fizzles out after 3 pages before the next thread in a week or two. Does this forum not get sick of just constantly praising this game with the same comments over and over again?

We get it! This forum loves the Souls games, I love the Souls games! We don't need reminding every single week (Not to mention the threads that get derailed by Souls fans as well). What's worse is, when a user earlier this week tried to make a similar thread about Ubisoft games, a mod changed the title and derailed it into making fun of Ubi games and the OP. If that sort of thing happened with a BB/Souls thread, people would cry bloody murder.

Hmmm...The worst facet of this is the assumption to revive series perceived to be flagging or absent is to make them into a Souls game or a Platinum character action game.

"Souls is what modern Zelda/Metroid should be!" "New Metroid should focus on Samus's agility and acrobatic skills in combat!"

For some people there really seems to be no room for games that are not primarily action/combat focused and the general circlejerk surrounding these series provides a space where this notion seems like an incontestable mandate that this is what should happen to these series and the discussion is completely oblivious to what makes these games special to their fans and how that is and is not different from what is happening in Souls games or Platinum games.

It's like...let games and genres have their space.

This so much. I love the Souls games/genre, but man this happens in like 90% of game threads. Look at the Nioh OT. That was ridiculous. GAF forgets that everyone who posts is probably a 'Hardcore' gamer. Sure their are exceptions, but for the most part we are all big time gamers. Yet the majority of people who play games are not like all of us. Games are not easy for most people. Games we consider 'hard' are just insanely difficult to the point of frustration to a lot of people. Most of my friends didn't like Bloodborne very much because they could never get into it. They tried, but didn't have the mechanical skill or previous gaming knowledge to really love the grind. GAF falls into this circle in so many threads.

In the spirit of the thread, I completely agree with what some are saying about The Last of Us. It was okay, but it never resonated with me. I really dislike the gameplay . It just wasn't fun to me. I got through it for the praise about the ending.

Rambler

The kneejerk response of "REEEEEEE NO THEY MUST MAKE PRIME 4 REEEEE" is a lot more annoying than the constant suggestions of a Metroid game by From or Platinum.

If Nintendo games were on Playstation (or Xbox or PC - the point being they were 3rd party to someone) instead of their own console I probably still wouldn't care.

MoonFrog

The kneejerk response of "REEEEEEE NO THEY MUST MAKE PRIME 4 REEEEE" is a lot more annoying than the constant suggestions of a Metroid game by From or Platinum.
TBH I don't even think there is much of that at all.

What I mostly see:

2D Metroid > 3D Metroid
Metroid Souls
Vanquish Metroid
3rd Person 3D Metroid focused on the acrobatic movement of Samus
Retro is making Prime 4, not fucking Donkey Kong! Believe!

There is incredibly little Metroid must be 3D, must be first person, must follow Prime trilogy story.

Unless by "Prime 4!!!!" you mean a game that draws on past and breaks with Other M. People do want that. But plenty of people think Metroid stumbled before Other M or at least that Prime did things, of which people don't want more.

If there is a Prime 4 majority, it's a silent one.

Personally, I think first person is still the way to go. I am open to third person; I am open to 2D.

I don't care about the Prime canon. Well, rather, I don't like where Tabata has taken it much more than where Fusion/Other M have gone with the main story. I'd love a narrative break for the series.

What I care about is getting a game close in structure to Super Metroid and Prime 1.

Metroid Souls, Vanquish Metroid are pretty far from that. Most Metroidvanias are pretty far from that, with most dabbling in RPG. It is an underserved niche.

I'm not going to play Metroid for the franchise alone. I'm playing it for the gameplay first and foremost.

petran79

Banned
Hate 3d Bomberman games. What have they done to Generations... Traditional top down games only.

If Nintendo games were on Playstation (or Xbox or PC - the point being they were 3rd party to someone) instead of their own console I probably still wouldn't care.

One reason I dont care for Cemu or Citra. Even on Dolphin I try non-Nintendo games only.

admartian

Games are overly nitpicked especially by a majority of the gaming community which like to frequent GAF and related subs.

Everything is held to an impossibly high standard.

And while I think it's ok to want better, too many times many games unfairly get smashed by not being perfect all the time.

The majority of opinion these days are binary - a game either has to be the "Citizen Kane of games @6000fps" or it's "absolute fucking shite and the devs all deserve to have their careers and livelihoods suffer".

There's barely a middle ground anymore. At least with the majority of people I see online.

LTTP threads for games in the current generation with active enough OTs and a handful of weekly LTTP threads already going are irritating. They more seem like a competition of who can come up with "wittier" subtitles than actually being a necessity.

They should be bannable (or at least not allowed and locked on sight) and meant for games from previous generations. Just bump the OT or a related topic.

sjay1994

I feel like GAF overrates the fuck out of Bloodborne. Its a good game, but its no where near GOTG people on this site keep claiming it to be.

I mean, like fuck how do we still have people defending blood vials when the estus system is so much better? Not to mention the games lack of side characters and quest lines.

Maybe my opinion on the game was soured by the chalice dungeons, but honestly I enjoyed other games way more than BB in 2015, and I get annoyed whenever another RTTP or LTTP thread about it comes up clamoring that its one of the best games ever.

Hell, I might enjoy soulsborne on occasion but imo those games are no where near best of all time status to me.

sjay1994

I think Connor Kenway from AC3 is one of the most interesting and well written protagonists in gaming.

Not my words below, but its a good summary of what I believe about Connor.

Connor was a very stoic and troubled young man, there's no doubt about that, but its not because he's a dick, or a douche as I've read, but because in the Mohawk tribe men and women are taught at a very young age that to show emotion is to show weakness. This is why Connor seems very stern and straightforward when talking to "the white man" and he even goes out of his way and refuses to speak with contractions so as to keep himself on a higher level than non natives. Not only that, but these are the people who have abandoned him, shunned him, taken his land his home his life, and spat on him afterwards. Oh, and when I say him I mean his people and Native Americans in all of Colonial North America.

Connor is the soul embodiment of millions of Native Americans who fought and died for what they believed knew was right, and Ubisoft did a beautiful job of expressing this. If you study Connor as a character you will see that whenever someone who is not from his tribe touches him, he will look at them and move away quickly and scornfully. However, as he spends more time in the new world he digresses from his native culture and even uses contractions when speaking, allows himself to befriend non natives, and later on he even begins to show much emotion in his voice, which is completely different from the Connor we met in the beginning of his life.

But after everything he went through he saw that what these men were doing to his people was also being done to their own men. He witnessed The Boston Massacre and saw that the world was more than he once thought, and the corruption of these people was much more than he thought. It was then that he learned to not only fight for the freedom of his people but for the freedom of all people, no matter the cost. Even if he must go at it alone, Connor had a moral obligation to help save the world around him.

Ubisoft honored Native Americans by not making this a game about some angry red skin who goes by the name Soars With Eagles who is covered head to toe in feathers, but instead they focused on remaining true to history and truly expressing the hatred, fear, and will power of The Native Man in The New World. Ubisoft even went so far out of their way as to learn that in Mohawk Culture people do not use a name more than once and after learning this, Ubisoft had to do extensive amounts of research to find a suitable name for their new conflicted protagonist that has never before been used in recorded history. And thus, Ratonhnhaké:ton was born. Yet after all this work, Ubisoft got hurt by bringing to life the heart of the real Native American Culture instead of tarnishing it like the media enjoys doing so often. And its because of this, that I have lost a lot of hope for the culturally diverse world that I thought I was now living in.
Connor was a significantly more believable character than most people's beloved Ezio was. He saw things at a young age that scarred him for life and experienced so much that it made him into the tragic hero that is praised by few and underappreciated by many more. The only mistake Ubisoft made was not releasing Connor's Epilogue that summed up the tragic story that is his life and after ACIV is now the Kenway Family

AC3 has a lot of structural problems, I can't deny that. But fuck all the people who complained about Connor being "a douche" or "angry all the time". Because of these idiots we are stuck with rent-a-Ezio's and Connors story will never see a conclusion because "he didn't test well".

And with the current constant cries for diversity in video games, it pisses me off people ignore this game as a genuine, thoughtful attempt at portraying another culture. We had the game that took this step, and most people just didn't get it.

I think Connor Kenway from AC3 is one of the most interesting and well written protagonists in gaming.

Not my words below, but its a good summary of what I believe about Connor.

AC3 has a lot of structural problems, I can't deny that. But fuck all the people who complained about Connor being "a douche" or "angry all the time". Because of these idiots we are stuck with rent-a-Ezio's and Connors story will never see a conclusion because "he didn't test well".

And with the current constant cries for diversity in video games, it pisses me off people ignore this game as a genuine, thoughtful attempt at portraying another culture. We had the game that took this step, and most people just didn't get it.
You've just become my tomahawk bro. I've been championing Connor/AC3 for years here. People just don't understand his character faults and how it added to the story and character. They just wanted another Prince Charming as hinted at with Connor's father. They didn't quite get the contrast of character.

And to defend the game's structure, AC3 has some of the most diverse mission variety in the series and keeps its "padding" (crafting, and folklore, homestead, and naval missions for example) out of the way. But because of the vocal complaints, the very next game in Black Flag had tail mission after tail mission (even in a boat) and made sure to add a checklist tied to a goddamn button so no one can complain about "hidden" side content and collectibles.

But hey, they got another Prince Charming.

sjay1994

You've just become my tomahawk bro. I've been championing Connor/AC3 for years here. People just don't understand his character faults and how it added to the story and character. They just wanted another Prince Charming as hinted at with Connor's father. They didn't quite get the contrast of character.

And to defend the game's structure, AC3 has some of the most diverse mission variety in the series and keeps its "padding" (crafting, and folklore, homestead, and naval missions for example) out of the way. But because of the vocal complaints, the very next game in Black Flag had tail mission after tail mission (even in a boat) and made sure to add a checklist tied to a goddamn button so no one can complain about "hidden" side content and collectibles.

But hey, they got another Prince Charming.

I mean, I can't deny the game had a good variety of missions, but the problem was most of them didn't feel thought out well, which is a shame. The homestead missions show how much Connor progresses as a character.

As for the fact every AC protagonist after Connor is the same "charming white guy/girl" didn't bug me with Edward. I actually think his story was pretty well done, with him actually going through his own compelling arc. It was with Arno and the Frye Twin's that annoyed me because their arcs are so meager and meaningless.

I mean, I can't deny the game had a good variety of missions, but the problem was most of them didn't feel thought out well, which is a shame. The homestead missions show how much Connor progresses as a character.

As for the fact every AC protagonist after Connor is the same "charming white guy/girl" didn't bug me with Edward. I actually think his story was pretty well done, with him actually going through his own compelling arc. It was with Arno and the Frye Twin's that annoyed me because their arcs are so meager and meaningless.
I would rather had seen Connor's story continue in the naval captain role exploring the Caribbean after being invited down that way by Aveline perhaps.

They could have kept the lore intact and only the "golden age of pirates" angle would have been changed. Maybe have flashback missions to these characters accessed by the "player" outside the animus as Connor collects certain artefacts within the animus. The how and why would all be linked to your typical AC story shenanigans.

Weird going backwards and forcing a "4" to separate it from 3 as fast as possible.

sjay1994

I would rather had seen Connor's story continue in the naval captain role exploring the Caribbean after being invited down that way by Aveline perhaps.

They could have kept the lore intact and only the "golden age of pirates" angle would have been changed. Maybe have flashback missions to these characters accessed by the "player" outside the animus as Connor collects certain artefacts within the animus. The how and why would all be linked to your typical AC story shenanigans.

Weird going backwards and forcing a "4" to separate it from 3 as fast as possible.

This could have worked too.

I'm glad everyone is loving BOTW, but despite having put quite some time into the game, I can't shake away a feeling of emptiness and depression while I play it. Maybe its me and not the game and I should try again after some time has passed.

LordKasual

Banned
Breath of the Wild will be praised for "innovations" that have already been seen in other open world games and forgiven for things other open world games have been savaged for.

This was immediately obvious upon first gameplay showing of the game.

The only people this is controversial to are hardcore Nintendo fans who love to gas up Zelda as the most significant thing gaming ever sees when they drop

The only thing controversial about Zelda is how it manages to continuously commit the same game design sins as other games, yet sidestep the negative criticism that comes with it.

Kysuke

I don't want to sound like a hater, because I'm not. But I'm about 10 hours in BotW and I'm not seeing what makes this game the second coming of Christ. It's just a good game so far.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
That's not saying much, Nintendo hardware has always been shit quality. The Switch changes that. It looks and feel very premium. Well the gray Switch does, the neon looks cheap.

Rellik

Games are overly nitpicked especially by a majority of the gaming community which like to frequent GAF and related subs.

Everything is held to an impossibly high standard.

And while I think it's ok to want better, too many times many games unfairly get smashed by not being perfect all the time.

The majority of opinion these days are binary - a game either has to be the "Citizen Kane of games @6000fps" or it's "absolute fucking shite and the devs all deserve to have their careers and livelihoods suffer".

There's barely a middle ground anymore. At least with the majority of people I see online.

It's more of a GAF thing which is why I laugh when people say "I'll wait for the GAF feedback on this game" because that's the worst thing you could do. If you rely on GAF to choose your games you may as well just buy Bloodborne, Zelda and nothing else.

And then some people get offended or laugh when you don't like a game like Zelda.

That's not saying much, Nintendo hardware has always been shit quality. The Switch changes that. It looks and feel very premium. Well the gray Switch does, the neon looks cheap.

Wouldn't say shit but more like they had a "toyish" feel/look.

Switch is the first Nintendo's system that doesn't feel "toyish" to me.

MilkyJoe

It's more of a GAF thing which is why I laugh when people say "I'll wait for the GAF feedback on this game" because that's the worst thing you could do. If you rely on GAF to choose your games you may as well just buy Bloodborne, Zelda and nothing else.

And then some people get offended or laugh when you don't like a game like Zelda.

Zelda is boring, let them get offended.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
GTA IV is one of top 3 GTA games, in the mix with San Andreas and Vice City, purely because of it's story and more grounded reality.

GTA V is a remarkable technological feat filled with vapid, uninteresting stories and characters and ruined by Rockstar's heavy-handed, childish "satire". I would love another serious GTA.

pbayne

Don't think this is too controversial of an opinion but Japanese games in particular really need to stop this cross-media fascination that some of them are big into recently.

FF15 probably being the absolute worst recent offender where you had movie, anime, spin off games etc, just tons of extra bullshit that feels like a barrier/extra hassle to have to slog through(doesn't help when said media is all shit too(fuck Kingsglaive).
Danganronpa series is an absolute mess too cause of this stuff.
Yoko Taro is a big offender of it too despite how much i love him. Just put the content in the main game you know.

gelf

I'm glad everyone is loving BOTW, but despite having put quite some time into the game, I can't shake away a feeling of emptiness and depression while I play it. Maybe its me and not the game and I should try again after some time has passed.
I get that feeling from a lot of open world titles for some reason. Can't put it into words why but there is a definite feeling of emptiness.

Khoryos

Don't forget, along with whatever story problems people may or may not have had with Connor the actual game was janky as fuck, and the engine was hot garbage. It's no surprise they'd want to distance themselves.

Daeoc

Skyrim isn't good.
Souls series is overrated.
The best Soulcalibur is IV.
RE4 is the worst of the main series.
Marvel VS Capcom 3 is the best MvC.
The last time GTA was fun was Vice City.
Final Fantasy VII isn't in the top 5 of the series.
MGS2 is my favorite in the series, MGS3 is the worst.
The last time Street Fighter was good was in 1999/2000 with 3rd Strike.
Halo 5 has the best multiplayer of the series, and Halo Reach has the best campaign.

Top Bottom