• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Classic Edition Thread: Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe

blinkz

Targets by me got new stock this morning for the first time since before Christmas. Hopefully the supply is going to start meeting the demand soon.

Bii

ThinkGeek.com is doing a drawing for folks to get a chance to buy one starting tomorrow--up to six entries per person via various social media logins.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/nes-classic-sale/

I know it's not a bird in hand...but it's a chance, right?

Thanks, entered.

Targets by me got new stock this morning for the first time since before Christmas. Hopefully the supply is going to start meeting the demand soon.

Did you just randomly stop by?

I'm definitely gonna sell mine when I get it if anybody wants it tbh

I only got it so I could trigger the 25$ off when I bought Yakuza 0

Bii

One of my local Targets is showing that there's a few in stock and isn't available until tomorrow morning. If I'm not lazy enough, I might head out there an hour before it opens.

Edit: Got one! Woo! I was the first in line and Target had 5.

lG7bnB2.jpg

hayejin

What time did you line up? I saw few near my area too all with not sellable until morning.

Wasn't sure when to line up or whether they'd hand out ticket the earlier in the morning.

Bii

What time did you line up? I saw few near my area too all with not sellable until morning.

Wasn't sure when to line up or whether they'd hand out ticket the earlier in the morning.

I lined up at 6:45am (Target opens at 8:00am) and was first in line. A second guy showed up at 7:00am and a third one at 7:20am. From there, no one else came until closer to 8:00am. No tickets were given out but the employees there were nice and the two other guys were cool too. So we didn't run into any issues. The employees told us to go to the customer service counter to check out instead of electronics.

Since it looks like the extra controllers aren't going back in stock any time soon in quantity, does anyone have any suggestions for a third-party solution? Looking to not spend over $20 on one. I've seen the ones with the included extension cables but do these cables or controllers add any input lag?

hayejin

Since it looks like the extra controllers aren't going back in stock any time soon in quantity, does anyone have any suggestions for a third-party solution? Looking to not spend over $20 on one. I've seen the ones with the included extension cables but do these cables or controllers add any input lag?

This released like only yesterday so there aren't any reviews yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-wired-controller-for-nes-classic-edition/5709678.p?skuId=5709678

Maengun1

My Wal-Mart had some controllers for this in stock today...it was the first time I've ever seen ANYTHING from it in person. I almost bought one just in case they disappear again, but I couldn't do it since I don't even have the console. Hopefully they'll maybe start to show up though.

BorntoPlay

My Wal-Mart had some controllers for this in stock today...it was the first time I've ever seen ANYTHING from it in person. I almost bought one just in case they disappear again, but I couldn't do it since I don't even have the console. Hopefully they'll maybe start to show up though.

you should buy one, you can used with a wiiremote controller on Wii/WiiU Virtual Console games....

Got me one of these today (yay!). Target seemed to have a large restock today. 4 at store, 3 of us in line for them.

I still have authentic NES controllers laying around. Was going to order the Hyperkin NES->classic adapter but despite it saying it works on Wii U also, apparently it doesn't.

Pre-ordered the Retro Fighters 2-port adapter instead, comes out mid February. Never heard of them but their NES-style Jab Gamepad was well-received apparently.

Beegeous

My missus got me one for Christmas and I had my first proper session on it this past Saturday when her friend came over and I bloody loved it. Apologies to those of you who are dying to get one whilst I have one sat there not getting played as often as I'd like it to.

maxcriden

Congrats to those who got one!

More info on Target having stock:

http://bgr.com/2017/01/23/nes-classic-target-stock-walmart-best-buy/

This article wisely advocates the reader to use NowInStock (for online stock, this site also offers an alert feature I believe) and BrickSeek (for in-store stock) and to call one's local store for the most up to date info on if a store has inventory and if not when they will receive it.

Also, TRU to get some later in the week:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...elect-target-stores-chunk-toys-and-amazon.htm

(Both links are via GoNintendo.com)

Someone may want to make a thread to alert those who don't regularly visit this one. :)

I honestly want to know why these are so popular!?! Taking emulation as a consideration, why would anyone pay $60+tax to have 30 games they could play for free?

...By the way, I want one too :)

Nintendo truly is the master of creating a demand for anything that they make - I mean, really - they are incredible at it!

Also, does anyone else not agree that Nintendo is going to make a lot more of these - spanning most of their popular Library? Isn't that going to be strange, having a room full of these things with Post-it notes on them, so you know what games are on each one?

Maybe we'll have to keep them in their original boxes, so that we'll know what games are on each one lol

I honestly want to know why these are so popular!?! Taking emulation as a consideration, why would anyone pay $60+tax to have 30 games they could play for free?

...By the way, I want one too :)

Nintendo truly is the master of creating a demand for anything that they make - I mean, really - they are incredible at it!

Also, does anyone else not agree that Nintendo is going to make a lot more of these - spanning most of their popular Library? Isn't that going to be strange, having a room full of these things with Post-it notes on them, so you know what games are on each one?

Maybe we'll have to keep them in their original boxes, so that we'll know what games are on each one lol

You neglect to consider the form factor.

Syriel

Well for one, most people on this board don't advocate piracy, which is the only way you're going to get those 30 games "for free" as you put it.

Lol - please explain...

Part of the appeal is it's a minature NES that functions and has a traditional authentic NES controller that comes with it. People seem to ignore that aspect, but that aspect goes a long way as to why it's popular. I have a RetroUSB AVS system which is by all means better than an NES Classic and I still bought an NES Classic and a Famicom Mini.

Part of the appeal is it's a minature NES that functions and has a traditional authentic NES controller that comes with it. People seem to ignore that aspect, but that aspect goes a long way as to why it's popular. I have a RetroUSB AVS system which is by all means better than an NES Classic and I still bought an NES Classic and a Famicom Mini.

Yep. It's a GODDAMN NES! With official controller! With money going directly to NINTENDO! Complete with Nintendo's Seal!

How hard is it for people to get this? "LOL I can play the games for free!", well good for you buddy. Good for you.

daxgame

Right. I don't get why people buy games on Steam they can play most of them for free either...... ?

I'm just poking fun obviously but some people like to support official products.
Also, personally I don't like messing with stuff too much (buying pieces, installing stuff and whatnot) and if I wanted to stay legal I'd have to hunt for cartridges and learn to dump NES stuff while I own only a few ones.
Searching for those 30 cartridges and dumping them seems way costly than getting an all-in pack, no? ;)

Bingo. The NES classic is a fun little system, super easy to use since it's a dedicated device. The people that keep saying "you can just do emulation for free" or "Raspberry Pi" are like the people that argue against e-readers because "you can just read on your phone or a tablet". There's a place for a dedicated device that just does one thing well.

I've got original NES controllers and some original NES games laying around (although no working NES these days...My toploader looked awful on my plasma and went to ebay years ago along with a lot of my retro stuff when I didn't have time for it).

And yes, I have a Raspberry Pi in my desk drawer I've been meaning to set up. And I have one of those controllers that holds my phone in my drawer I can use. And I can do emulation on my CFW 3DS. Or on my PC (I have both NES and SNES -> usb converters and real controllers). Hell I had a full-fledged Hyperspin set up on my HTPC for a while with NES/SNES/Atari/Sega/etc all set up. But it was too much for how little classic gaming we actually end up doing. I have a RetroAVS on my wishlist also, if I ever feel like getting into real carts again.

And I'm still having fun with the NES classic. It is super easy to use with a nice UI, and kinda awesome being tiny NES shaped.

Top Bottom