• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

Yo Dawg...Seems like EA like to put names within names on the XMB

8ef04845f9cdc0b443fe98bcb81a88a883eb5e2c_wmeg.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Linkzg said:
the positive spin in the video review is "2 hours of original point to point racing," which isn't that bad.

it's a modern Cruis'n game! EA Should put it in arcades and pizza hut.
This is a good point. You never retread a single inch of tarmac, so that being the case, it ain't to bad at all, content wise. How long would you suggest it takes to do one lap of each course in another racer?. I bet it isn't much more than 2 hours. I bet it is probably less TBH.

The handling model stinks however, so it's kind of a moot point.

markot

Banned
Why is EA jizzing out so much Need for Speed all of a sudden?

And why dont they try to make a fresh new ip, need for speed is kinda 1999 >.<

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SuicidalSteve said:
Yo Dawg...Seems like EA like to put names within names on the XMB

Nah. They're (thankfully) now using the presence data for the XMB. So "The Run" is singleplayer.

markot said:

NFS sells that's why, just the name alone is getting them 2m each time IMO

markot said:

This has been the worst one in recent memory. I enjoyed both NFS Shift games and I adored Hot Pursuit.

markot said:

NFS is still the highest selling multiplatform racing game, and it's a brand people recognize. EA tried to capitalize on this fact with close to 2 games a year. If you're not NFS, you better be GT or Forza to do any dent in sales. The fact that they've shoved Criterion over and essentially killed off Burnout just for the name should tell you why.

2San

Well this is one of the more stupid threads on Neogaf. I've seen the GT review a while back. 2 Hours of track is pretty good. Don't think a lot of racing games can make the same statement.

Snkfanatic said:
This has been the worst one in recent memory. I enjoyed both NFS Shift games and I adored Hot Pursuit.

The game is actually pretty damn fun as long as you can adjust to the handling. The main thing to remember is that it's better to take corners by letting off the gas than drifting. The drifting doesn't feel right and the framerate tanks (at least on the PS3) whenever you do it.

Haunted

Speevy said:
More like The Speed Run amirite
8.4/10

Riposte said:
Not including retries in a game's "playtime" or whatever is stupid. Some of the best games ever made are meant to be beaten under 3 hours, but it takes many hours of effort to even get that far.
A good point, but that's clearly not the type of game The Run is. 2 hours of racing gameplay for this type of game is pretty much unacceptable.

RPG

Haunted said:
2 hours of racing gameplay for this type of game is pretty much unacceptable.
?? What? There's more than that in the game though. It's over 2 hours of unique 'track' to race on essentially. How many 'unique hours' do the standard circuit racers add up to?

SolidSnakex said:
The game is actually pretty damn fun as long as you can adjust to the handling. The main thing to remember is that it's better to take corners by letting off the gas than drifting. The drifting doesn't feel right and the framerate tanks (at least on the PS3) whenever you do it.
This and the f'in camera zoom during a drift really throws things off...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I tried it out on the PC and came away somewhat impressed. It's not going to go down as a great game, but it's well presented and fun to play. It's limited to 30 fps on the PC, which is a bummer, but it does allow for a very consistent, smooth presentation with no hitches.

Unlike the console versions, you get a perfect 30 fps at the highest level of detail and resolution and much shorter loading times. Solving these two technical issues raises the game to a pretty polished feeling state. It's fun to follow along and it looks fantastic.

Sethos

Banned
30 frames a second, times ... multiply by ... 1800 a minute

216,000 frames in 2 hours! That's value right there.

So worth the $60.

Haunted

RPG said:
?? What? There's more than that in the game though. It's over 2 hours of unique 'track' to race on essentially. How many 'unique hours' do the standard circuit racers add up to?
"Unique hours" has never been a metric to judge racing games by, what the hell.

If it takes you two hours to finish the SP, it takes you two hours.

That said, there's a challenge mode and MP from what I'm reading, so it's not like the 2 hour SP is all you can spend time on.

leca

dark10x said:
I tried it out on the PC and came away somewhat impressed. It's not going to go down as a great game, but it's well presented and fun to play. It's limited to 30 fps on the PC, which is a bummer, but it does allow for a very consistent, smooth presentation with no hitches.

Unlike the console versions, you get a perfect 30 fps at the highest level of detail and resolution and much shorter loading times. Solving these two technical issues raises the game to a pretty polished feeling state. It's fun to follow along and it looks fantastic.

I've got to agree with you here! :D

Running it on the PC with a solid framerate at max settings, the presentation and final delivery is worth checking out. I hope this gets some love in the Steam xmas sale, it needs to get played :)

As a fan of pretty senseless driving movies this really ticks a few boxes for me. The soundtrack is also pretty pumping, most of the time it just stresses me out lol.

I didn't think too much of it when I tried the Xbox 360 demo last month but I'm having a pretty good time now on PC, I'll finish the main story over the next day or two when I can :)

Edit: I'm not rating this, at all. The game is lost in a blur of titles this month. I honestly can't imagine anyone grabbing this when bf3/mw3/skyrim/saints is avaiable. But like I said, steam xmas sale for ~$5-20. Go for it.

2San

Haunted said:

They never said it takes two hours to finish the SP?

RPG

Haunted said:

It takes about 2 hours to finish The Run mode. The Run is just one long cannonball run of differing race types but unique 'chariot-race' tracks. If you're going to criticize the game over '2 hours of gameplay', it deserves to be shared in context with other racing games, i.e. unique hours of racing on circuit tracks (time spent on one lap.)

what the hell, i can't start the game because it stops to "Connecting to Autolog servers"

is this due to the PSN maintenance? it kills Autolog too?

TheSeks

Noisepurge said:
what the hell, i can't start the game because it stops to "Connecting to Autolog servers"

is this due to the PSN maintenance? it kills Autolog too?

You can't even boot Battlefield 3 into multiplayer if you even get on PSN right now either. Oh... EA... :lol

God, that game looks awful. I haven't played a Need for Speed in forever (but I really am looking into Hot Pursuit), but Jesus that handling looks awful. And the the fuck do the cars take up half of the damn screen?

TheSeks

Noisepurge said:
no BF3 worked just fine, played matches with Gaffers all evening.

I can't get it to throw my friends list or the multiplayer/server browser up AT ALL. It boots, checks player profiles and then nada when I choose an option.

nyong

Banned
This game is waaaaay longer than two hours. Once you beat it the first time, you unlock expert mode, then there are a crap-ton of challenge. If you intend to get 1000/1000 achievements, it could easily take you 40 hours from what I've seen so far. The length of the story mode in no way detracts from the experience. Frankly, it's a good thing...Hot Pursuit's content wasn't tied to a story either. I had an absolute blast playing MP last night. So yeah, really good/fun game...although not nearly as much as Hot Pursuit, of course.

The only glaring flaw with the game (and it's a doozy) is that you use a reset when barely driving off the intended path. The rewind "feature" is really, REALLY poorly implemented. The load times suck too, but that can be somewhat negated by installing it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol gaming journalism. Even if its a brilliant game a 2 hr game for 60 euros is never worth an 8.4 wtfffffff

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If game length and value is to be dictated by achievements/trophies then stop the boat because I want off.

Anyway this game is selling really well in my store. We have a demo unit set up that probably hooks a lot of people, for some reason.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I dunno why EA faff around with shit like this when Need For Speed Underground 3 would literally sell 10 million copies.

It's money sitting on the table.

nyong

Banned
Fair enough. To me, achievements can add to the length of a game in the same way challenge modes add to game length.

With or without the achievements, content wise The Run is very much comparable to Hot Pursuit in quantity if not quality (not even close here). You can almost think of the story mode as an introduction to new tracks, tracks that are then raced-like Hot Pursuit-apart from any sort of story-mode.

Top Bottom