• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

Zabka

styl3s said:
2 hours? its like games are getting shorter and shorter by the year.

I find it amusing because that was the whole gimmick and push for this game was this crazy wacky single player cross country racing game and 2 hours?
I hate to defend this game because I thought the demo was terrible, but a 2 hour point to point race is pretty damn long.

AlphaTwo00 said:
It's a racing game with QTE, unskippable cutscenes, punishes you for trying new cars, and a plot, and 2 hours of unique race tracks.

It's essentially for people who don't like racing.
It is a bad Micheal Bay movie with borin handling and not enough cuts

commedieu

Banned
Game is so horrible yet 8.4?

really..?

spicy cho said:
Rating this trash higher than Saints Row 3 means I can officially ignore GT for good.

Right? Why not just rate games random shapes, or colors.. if the actual value means nothing compared to other games...? I rate this game a seahorse!

scitek

The issue for me isn't so much that it's locked at 30fps, it's that being locked at 30fps means they likely didn't pay any attention to the pc version. Seriously, it's Frostbite 2. We just had a hugely demanding game released on pc using the engine, so we know it's perfectly capable of running at 60fps. Why the fuck weren't 5 minutes spent uncapping it?

Honestly, I can care less about the whole 30/60 debate. Burnout Paradise was at 60, Blur was at 60?; S/S was at 30; Even Hot Pursuit was at 30. (Not sure about Shift1/2). A good racer will still be a good racer.

It's the floaty and sluggish driving mechanics of the demo (and how it looks like in the video review) + 2 hours of point to point racing + seemingly odd choices in a racing game (pit stop to swap cars "potentially losing position as you scroll through the menu, as the video says", can't choose individual races, etc.) that are killing it for me. People on this board crucified Burnout Paradise for not having restart; I don't see how "choosing specific races in each leg" is getting glossed over.

Bear

scitek said:
The issue for me isn't so much that it's locked at 30fps, it's that being locked at 30fps means they likely didn't pay any attention to the pc version. Seriously, it's Frostbite 2. We just had a hugely demanding game released on pc using the engine, so we know it's perfectly capable of running at 60fps. Why the fuck weren't 5 minutes spent uncapping it?

This. It's just a bad statement to the half-assed nature of the PC port, and the game in general. It has some serious quality issues in a lot of respects. I care about frame rate but I don't think it's even relevant here.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Honestly, I can care less about the whole 30/60 debate. Burnout Paradise was at 60, Blur was at 60?; S/S was at 30; Even Hot Pursuit was at 30. (Not sure about Shift1/2). A good racer will still be a good racer.

It's the floaty and sluggish driving mechanics of the demo (and how it looks like in the video review) + 2 hours of point to point racing + seemingly odd choices in a racing game (pit stop to swap cars "potentially losing position as you scroll through the menu, as the video says", can't choose individual races, etc.) that are killing it for me. People on this board crucified Burnout Paradise for not having restart; I don't see how "choosing specific races in each leg" is getting glossed over.

Hot Pursuit was hot butter silk smooth at 30 fps. It gave me as much pleasure to drive as Burnout because the gameplay was really precise. Burnout really benefits from it's 60 fps at really insane speed with end game cars.

Hot Pursuit didn't have such fast car and the level and track design was always made for it's speed, cars, handling and gameplay so it wasn't a problem.

Hot Pursuit was everything that a racer needs to be and proved it at 30 fps because it was done right from the scratch.

I don't get it. Is SP only way to race locally? Haven't been following this game at all. Are you forced to play online outside of story campaign?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Gamefly shipped me the disc today. Looks like I made the right choice in not purchasing this game! Sounds good, I'll be more than happy to finish the game in two hours. I wonder how long it'll take to Platinum Trophy the game?

bs000

I'm fine with a 2 hour story if it's good. Games like Most Wanted had way too much padding. I usually try to avoid SP in racing games anyway cause rubbing banding is stupid. Just let me unlock my cars so I can play MP.

UnluckyKate said:
Hot Pursuit was hot butter silk smooth at 30 fps. It gave me as much pleasure to drive as Burnout because the gameplay was really precise. Burnout really benefits from it's 60 fps at really insane speed with end game cars.

Hot Pursuit didn't have such fast car and the level and track design was always made for it's speed, cars, handling and gameplay so it wasn't a problem.

Hot Pursuit was everything that a racer needs to be and proved it at 30 fps because it was done right from the scratch.

Hot Pursuit was amazing even at 30fps cause Criterion used magic.

I must say, 2 hours of content, going from point to point and with crazy over the top action sequences, sounds pretty good. I mean if this ends up being like the UNCHARTED of the racing games, with two hours of unique settings and roads, thats pretty cool. I can't see some people enjoying this as much as others or wanting to pay full price, but for me, I'm personally really wanting to play it. I prefer arace over sims, but thats always been my preference.

10 point to point events and that's it ? What the point of even trying then ? God this game looks like the worst missed opportunity of the series thing gen

bs000 said:
Hot Pursuit was amazing even at 30fps cause Criterion used magic.

I knew there add post process effect to smooth the render for the eye, but didn't they were actually doing some crazy fucking magictrick to get a world record input lag on a 30 fps game. Criterion delivered again, harder than I excepected

FGMPR

Banned
Black_Stride said:
Fine enough.
My only real point is that 30fps "shouldnt" be unplayable to anyone.

*sigh* Dont, just dont.

Well, you did just embarrass yourself with a pretty ignorant post. What kind of reaction were you expecting?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure it's been said already, but, I miss Burnout :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
MrDanger88 said:
Because when I play a racing game I look forward to playing single player
I do. F-Zero GX is still one of my favourite single player games. I found it to be way better in single player than in multi player, too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I just got this game, and it's pretty average so far. The concept is pretty simple - get to point B from point A, but it's broken into small parts with a lot of variation in the races. Took me like, 20 minutes to clear Stage 1 in the normal difficulty, so looks like 2-3 hours for the entire thing is spot on, considering there are 10 stages here. It doesn't look like a game that took 3 years to make, though. Rental game at best, also good for Cheevos/Trophies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
FGMPR said:
Well, you did just embarrass yourself with a pretty ignorant post. What kind of reaction were you expecting?

I embarrassed myself?

My statement is/was that people who claim 30fps is unplayable are elitist.
If thats me embarrassing myself then so be it.

glaurung

Forget the 2 hour campaign.

This game does not have car tuning or upgrading - not a first in the series, but silly and pointless. What adds insult to injury is the fact that the game has a slideshow style garage/car selection screen. That's right, no more 3D models anywhere, just stare at ugly-ass sprites.

NHale

2 hour of unique point to point tracks are a lot more than Dirt 3 for example and that game got great reviews...

I honestly don't see the problem with the amount of content, however it's baffling that you can't easily retry a race to improve your time without having to race the entire chapter and re-watch the cutscenes. That's just terrible design and one that completely ruins the basic principle behind Autolog.

Odrion said:
Rubber-band AI ruins racing games, not framerate.

Also this. In NFS: Hot Pursuit it was terrible, the only part of the races that mattered was the last 1/3rd. You could easily win a race after crashing 10 times in the first half of the race, but if you crashed in last km after driving perfectly until then, you would lose the race. That's not fun. It's artificial and stupid.

The rubberbanding in that game was so bad that I was even overtaken by a car not boosting while I was boosting with a more powerful car, or wrecking an opponent with a spike strip and having their car spawn 200m ahead... NFS: HP rubberbanding was even worse than Motorstorm...

Eurogamer gave this a 5/10. I guess there's probably not going to be a lot of whining about the metacritic score on this one...

Riposte

There seems to be a ton of terrible things about this game, but...

Not including retries in a game's "playtime" or whatever is stupid. Some of the best games ever made are meant to be beaten under 3 hours, but it takes many hours of effort to even get that far.

EDIT: Tain you beat me.

EDIT: I don't like this thread much, because this game clearly has problems, but people prefer to obsess over the "2 HOURS" despite not really thinking what it means.

Jamesways

Black_Stride said:
I embarrassed myself?

My statement is/was that people who claim 30fps is unplayable are elitist.
If thats me embarrassing myself then so be it.

I'm with you. I still enjoy PGR4. MotoGP 06-08, all the SBKs, Shift1 & 2, Dirt 1-3, Race Pro, all 30fps on console. And my eyes didn't bleed, they didn't offend my sensibilities to no end. Hell yeah, they'd be better at 60, but I still enjoy 'em even at 30.

So on xbox, what do you have that's 60fps? Forza and MotoGP 10/11? Even F1 2010 & 11 are at 30.

I get that people think that 30fps in a racing game is an outrage and a cry against all that's good, but some of us console plebians don't have much of a choice.

VVV Mars VG

I've not played NFS The Run before today, EA haven't wanted us covering the title this year hence no previews or developer interviews which is a shame.

Personally I never liked the Underground games, the first was ok but then they milked it to death. So seeing the E3 demo looked like a big step back with the inclusion of QTE's not helping.

Innovation is a good thing but it should come from general evolution rather than forcing developers to add something new for the sake of it. Every year they want a new slogan, a new gimmick and sometimes you have to wonder what else there is to give, sometimes it's just worth taking a popular title and making it better through refinement.

Playing The Run today I enjoyed my journey more than expected, sure it lacks options and frame rate, but for console owners it simply feels like an extension of Hot Pursuit. So good fun, would have to play it much more to find the replay value, though Autolog always does a good job at that. Anyway I'm rambling, video links to my first gameplay vids below.

Vid 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0LLwf40Ez4
Vid 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70r1qnHaHak

elektrixx

Banned
I'm leaning more towards a purchase specifically because of the short length. Right now I don't have time for other games (Uncharted 3 remains unplayed, and I'm too scared at the moment to buy Skyrim), but two hours of my time is not a big ask.

ttocs

It looks like the consensus is that the game is good for a rental, bad for a purchase. Thankfully, I have it coming from Gamefly on Thursday.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ttocs said:
It looks like the consensus is that the game is good for a rental, bad for a purchase. Thankfully, I have it coming from Gamefly on Thursday.

I haven't given it a go yet, but I'm looking forward to going through it. The demo, I thought, was real good and I rented it from GameFly and am happy to play through an entire game in a couple of hours.

Top Bottom