• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
More like The Runs, amirite

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DangerStepp said:
I don't think I know what that is...that's my surprise. :D
It's a circuit board for an arcade machine.

Nabs

Black_Stride said:
Yup and after 5 minutes of playing at 30fps you forget the game is running at 30 and realize how beautiful it looks.

Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....would run at 40 if unlocked
Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....doesnt notice until someone tells him.

30fps -> 60fps is a huge jump, especially when it comes to racing games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Foliorum Viridum said:
I couldn't play SS because of the 30fps. It did my head in.

And I'm sure I could have run it at 60 ;)

Hahaha ohh you.jpg
You probably need to see a doctor or something if playing S/S did your head in just because it was running at 30fps.

scitek said:
Oh I'd notice

Fair enough.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jamesways said:
How long was Most Wanted? That had a pretty long SP story if I remember right. Hard to judge since you had to cause a certain ammount of chaos to get the right notoriety level.

Autolog will be key for this like HP and even Shift 2. But damn, if you have to go through cut scenes and QTEs to do it... that's a really poor design decision.

Most Wanted seemed like a long SP experience. Might have been artificially longer because I did missions multiple times. 2 hours does seem short, but if you are into that Autlog stuff, then it will be much longer.

Sectus

Black_Stride said:
Yup and after 5 minutes of playing at 30fps you forget the game is running at 30 and realize how beautiful it looks.

Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....would run at 40 if unlocked
Douchebag PC gamer = Complain game is locked at 30fps....doesnt notice until someone tells him.
Anyone would be blind to not notice. The framerate is super easy to notice in a racing game since everything moves so fast.

Anyway, around 2 hours long, QTEs, locked to 30 fps... this is a definite skip for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Black_Stride said:

Why are you even defending this?

Black_Stride said:
Hahaha ohh you.jpg
You probably need to see a doctor or something if playing S/S did your head in just because it was running at 30fps.

Fair enough.
It's an arcade racer. 60fps is pretty much required.

30fps is horrible for any racing game, but arcade ones are even more noticeable. I'm sorry you have such low standards!

jett

D-Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
It's an arcade racer. 60fps is pretty much required.

30fps is horrible for any racing game, but arcade ones are even more noticeable. I'm sorry you have such low standards!

tru dat. 30fps racers just look and feel like ass.

ss_lemonade

Black_Stride said:

Don't tell me your one of those who can't tell 30 from 60

Leucrota

Well it seems like there is a story mode that is 2 hours, but then 50 events, a la Burnout 3, which you can do as well. Misplaced anger is misplaced.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's genius really, capping it at 30 ( and most likely having NO customizeability ) saves alot of time ctrl-c ctrl-v:ing the 360 code to pc -_.

Mxrz

I think numbers are a poor system reviewing games, and all that, but how the fucking fuck do you give this an 8.4? What part of this game was even above average? - I wanted to like this game. Well the concept that EA fucked good and true. But the only good thing I wound up being able to say about it is that the backgrounds/vistas look sort of nice. Occasionally.

You don't even get tits.

Rolf NB

Non-Criterion NFS is dead to me. Won't even bother downloading demos for this shit anymore.

Pro Street was the last straw. And what a straw it was!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Monty Mole said:
Yeah, if you don't mind 100ms+ of lag. Which you will.
It's harder for me to notice lag than bad framerates, TBH. I usually roll with vsync, which adds input lag but smooths out the framerate.

VerTiGo

Banned
This review made me want it more. Yeah, okay it's overpriced, of course it is, but it does still look awesome. Will not buy... will wait for DD release as I always do.

Black_Stride

HK-47 said:
Why are you even defending this?

Because i played S/S and the frame rate isnt as game ending as people make it out to be.
I usually jump on the Master Race wagon, but this is one of the cases where i think People are being elitist for no real reason.

S/S locked at 30fps looks and feels absolutely fine.....one race and you forget the game is locked at 30fps.

jett said:
tru dat. 30fps racers just look and feel like ass.

Really?...Did you play Split/Second?
*Replays Split/Second just to make sure he isnt crazy* - Yup still looks and feels amazing.

I know gifs arent the best way to showoff a game, but GAF loves gifs so might as well.:
iwbKVp3aHDqWx.gif

splitsecond-fail1j8i6.gif

Xander51

This is kind of a bummer, as I was curious even after the lackluster demo and kind of excited for a modern take on Cruisn' USA. This could still probably be good if you had enough friends to play multi with/autolog with.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Black_Stride said:
S/S locked at 30fps looks and feels absolutely fine.....one race and you forget the game is locked at 30fps.

The keyword here is "fine". An arcade racing game running at 30fps might be "fine" for you, but that's just you. Different people have different standards. It's not that shocking or elitist for someone to be turned off by a substandard framerate in a game where it really matters, like a racer.

jett

D-Member
Black_Stride said:
Because i played S/S and the frame rate isnt as game ending as people make it out to be.
I usually jump on the Master Race wagon, but this is one of the cases where i think People are being elitist for no real reason.

Really?...Did you play Split/Second?
*Replays Split/Second just to make sure he isnt crazy* - Yup still looks and feels amazing.

I know gifs arent the best way to showoff a game, but GAF loves gifs so might as well.:
iwbKVp3aHDqWx.gif

splitsecond-fail1j8i6.gif

I did, the PC version was also locked to 30fps, I don't need your gifs. It just gives an awful sense of speed. With high-motion games 30fps just doesn't feel or look good, I've gotten used to 60fps racers over the last few years and half the framerate really doesn't cut it.

Black_Stride

Snuggler said:
The keyword here is "fine". An arcade racing game running at 30fps might be "fine" for you, but that's just you. Different people have different standards. It's not that shocking or elitist for someone to be turned off by a substandard framerate in a game where it really matters, like a racer.

Im pretty sure saying you cant play a game because it runs at less than 60fps IS elitist especially considering the number of really good games that run at 30fps.
PGR4 for example, one of the best racing games this gen [IMO]...30fps and unplayable by elitist standards.

But you are right different people have different standards, i just think its a little silly to say X game is unplayable because its locked at 30....but thats just me, if a game is locked at 30 but still feels and looks fluid ill gladly play the shit out of it.

60 would be nice, but 30 isnt unplayable in my books.

mxgt

Banned
Black_Stride said:
Im pretty sure saying you cant play a game because it runs at less than 60fps IS elitist especially considering the number of really good games that run at 30fps.
PGR4 for example, one of the best racing games this gen [IMO]...30fps and unplayable by elitist standards.

But you are right different people have different standards, i just think its a little silly to say X game is unplayable because its locked at 30....but thats just me, if a game is locked at 30 but still feels and looks fluid ill gladly play the shit out of it.

The point is it's bullshit that it's locked at 30fps when it could easily be 60.

30fps sucks when you can have 60

Always astounds me when people act like it isn't a big deal. It's a huge difference.

Black_Stride said:

Different than you = elitist. Glad that got cleared up for everyone.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Kyoufu said:
Someone will defend this.

They deliberately kept the campaign small because it's meant to be replayed a bunch of times? Alternate paths/courses/endings?

I got nothing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Gametrailers is now doing a "First Hour" feature on the game...

So they are uploading half the game to their site? lol.

styl3s

2 hours? its like games are getting shorter and shorter by the year.

I find it amusing because that was the whole gimmick and push for this game was this crazy wacky single player cross country racing game and 2 hours?

Black_Stride

mxgt said:
The point is it's bullshit that it's locked at 30fps when it could easily be 60.
30fps sucks when you can have 60

Fine enough.
My only real point is that 30fps "shouldnt" be unplayable to anyone.

Rodney McKay said:
Different than you = elitist. Glad that got cleared up for everyone.

*sigh* Dont, just dont.

Top Bottom