• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Keyser Soze said:
Portal was 2 hours, and so was Sonic and Mario Bros. Bubsy too

My augment is infallible
Portal was also not $60.

Jamesways

AlphaTwo00 said:
Block of wood floating on ice. If you told me a base mustang handles like a boat, I might believe you. A porsche and a lambo steering like a boat? Something's fucked.

How else are you going to get such awesome drifts?!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It takes me 2 hours to get from Connecticut to New York, there's no way you're getting from California to New York in 2 hours!

:p

skyfinch

RurouniZel said:
It takes me 2 hours to get from Connecticut to New York, there's no way you're getting from California to New York in 2 hours!

:p

You're forgetting the QTEs. Up,A, Down, A, gas, brake......bam! You're in New York.

Derrick01

Banned
mxgt said:
Meanwhile Saints Row 3, a game packed with content, gets a 7.7

Don't worry when EA buys THQ in a year Saints Row 4 will get a 9 or higher. That's just the power of EA's innovation machine.

pelican

I was only intending on renting this so no biggie. Was always suspicious of this game with Blackbox returning to the development of it.

A shame after the awesome release last year.

UrbanRats

I love how they specify: "it's two hours campaign, but that's not counting loading screens, QTEs and cutscene!".
Aw yeah, loading screens, more value for my money.

I wouldn't mind playing through it just to see the racing tracks and beautiful scenery (I'm a sucker for scenery and beautiful backdrops).

But it's definitely a rental or a bargain purchase.

Holy misinformation, Batman.

The game isn't two hours long. It features two hours of unique, non-repeating track. There are no laps, just straight road. Two hours of it.

Name any other racing game with literally two hours of unique, non-repeating track.

Arpeggio23 said:

The game isn't two hours long. It features two hours of unique, non-repeating track. There are no laps, just straight road. Two hours of it.

Name any other racing game with literally two hours of unique, non-repeating track.

Insightful posts will not be tolerated.

This has to be the most misleading propaganda ever. People said the same thing about Vanquish, and it turns out you can play the game for 100+ hours and still not be finished with everything.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Arpeggio23 said:

So...? It's still a 2 hour campaign.

There's just about no racing game with that short a campaign these days. In fact, racing games have been packed with content this generation. It's become the standard.

You can have a 2 hour long FMV and call it a game because there's a QTE every so often to avoid a game over screen, and just because the movie you're watching never repeats itself doesn't mean it's a good video game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
cpp_is_king said:
This has to be the most misleading propaganda ever. People said the same thing about Vanquish, and it turns out you can play the game for 100+ hours and still not be finished with everything.

Yeah, but Vanquish is a score attack game. What's the clarification on The Run? So far it's looked like a linear driving / watch the QTE movie once, and you're done with it, type of affair.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's a good thing I cancelled my pre-order today.

EA should just shut down Black Box and give control of the series to Criterion.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Arpeggio23 said:

It's still two hours...

Kaijima said:
Yeah, but Vanquish is a score attack game. What's the clarification on The Run? So far it's looked like a linear driving / watch the QTE movie once, and you're done with it, type of affair.

I honestly dont' know, but I'll wait until better clarification is out until I make that decision. If you watch that GameTrailers video review, it specifically mentions a very engaging multi player that keeps you coming back for more, so there's obviously more to this game than a 2-4 hour story campaign.

ss_lemonade

BigBlackGamer said:
pc version locked to 30 fps? fuck that.
How the fuck can developers defend this shit? 30fps for a racing/car game on the pc??

There was also another multiplatform game that did that. Can't remember the title but it also involved disasters being triggered or something.

A friend of mine is reviewing it for a major site and told me two things....

It's two hours long

It's 'kinda boring'

I took it off my gamefly after that. Not even worth a rental.

BY2K said:
It's still two hours...

That doesn't mean that after 2 hours you put the game down and never pick it up again. It means that one of a potentially large number of things to do in the game is complete after 2 hours. It probably doesn't even mean that. When people said Vanquish was 3 hours long they were just showing the completed time at the end which didn't take into account deaths / restarts. The actual game was more than double that.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Last Hearth said:
2 hours not counting retries in one run through of all the stages.

Add up all the time it takes to run through every unique course once on any racing game and it wouldn't be much difference.
Yup. That's what I was thinking. It only seems small because of the flow of the campaign. Dirt 2 was a pretty long game, but I was replaying the same courses left and right.

Wow, such strange design decisions they made. QTE cutscenes in a NFS game that don't even include cars?
I'm still playing Criterion's game so I don't care but I won't even get this in the bargain bin.

Roland Deschain said:
Wow, such strange design decisions they made. QTE cutscenes in a NFS game that don't even include cars?
I'm still playing Criterion's game so I don't care but I won't even get this in the bargain bin.

Well, there's a reason this is part of a new sub-franchise. It's not supposed to be related to the old series of games. That doesn't mean the old ones are dead. When Final Fantasy Tactics, or Versus came out they didn't stop making games from the main line of Final Fantasy games.

kamspy

I'm actually not opposed to the 3 hour full priced single player game. The caveat is, it has to be completely and mind blowing incredible for all 180 minutes. Think the sniper level of COD 4, best bits of Uncharted 2 with another magnitude of awesomeness layered on top of that.

Impossible? Probably. But I wouldn't be opposed to it. I've probably dropped 40 hours into a couple select missions of COD4 (since launch), I'll get bored on a Sunday and play a few missions to this day.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Comfy Couch master race confirmed.
Seriously, that sucks for PC owners that EA is treating the port this way.
It sucks that it's 30fps on the consoles too but at least there's motion interpolation on HDTVs.

Koren

Not sure if I understand why it's such a big issue...

I think that Outrun 2 Coast to Coast is less than 2h, no? Even if you want to see all the roads, assuming you're good enough?

Is this a problem that you can finish what seems to be a racing game in a couple of hours? Doesn't those game relies on replay value?

Top Bottom