• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts leaks PS3 Controller Re-design? (D-Pad + Left Stick Switch-aroo!)

cvx, the classic controller is more d-pad centric for good reason. most of the games you'll be playing are d-pad centric.

now... *new* games... that's a different matter... and if this is true...

YES. FINALLY. THANK THE GODS.

sure, the stick layout is good for katamari damacy and i can see why some people liked the symmetrical layout for FPSs....

but... for everything else...

oh i hope so.

_Angelus_

Banned
What the hell...is this real?
I've always liked the XBox pad for its analogs and their placement and hated the Sony style analogs.
After beating Resistance 3 times I finally got use to them and now I see this picture of the redesigned pad.
Oh man.
:lol

besada

Banned
Why not let us have both. Release two different pads that are completely compatible. Shouldn't be tough, since it's just a relocation of the physical elements.

Finally those of us who like the 360-style placement can play without cramping our hands or smashing our thumbs into each other. And the people who like the traditional controller can have what they want, too.

Either that or someone just release a mock-360 controller for the PS3. Hey, since it takes standard USB, could you use the 360 PC controller with the PS3? I'd hate to lose the wireless, but I really don't like the PS3 controller as-is.

MercuryLS

Banned
xaosslug said:
there was nothing wrong with the original DS/2 design as far as a small segment of people being developmentally challenged and unable to come to grips with its 'complicated' nature. ;P

i call bullshit.

There's nothing complicated about the DS2 design, it can just simply be a lot better.

My-controller-concept2.jpg

Sony needs to go back and combine the banana and the sixaxis to give it more curves for a comfortable feel. Still the best mockup ever.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
xaosslug said:
:lol @ the MASSIVE left analogue stick. Looks about right for my big toe.

not to mention Virtua Fighter 5 would be unplayable on that thing... as well as early era PS1 games. (d-pad too small)

mollipen

Core407 said:
I'll agree that it looks like a copy but this was what everyone was asking for...

NO, NOT IT IS NOT.

I HATE you people that keep asking for Sony to switch the d-pad and analog stick, and if they do, I swear to god I'll kill you all.

shidoshi said:
NO, NOT IT IS NOT.

I HATE you people that keep asking for Sony to switch the d-pad and analog stick, and if they do, I swear to god I'll kill you all.

It's gonna suck when Sony remote detonates all the controllers that exist in the configuration you like.

DarkJediKnight said:
Sony needs to go back and combine the banana and the sixaxis to give it more curves for a comfortable feel. Still the best mockup ever.

a tweaked version of that mockup is kinda what I want, but one thing I want Sony to change is how the Dpad is, they should make it like the Gameboy Micro Dpad (the micro Dpad is almost like the current PS2 dpad pushed together so there is no gap, but there is still a pointed shape at in the middle.)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Take Out Bandit said:
If you're playing VF5 with that dog bone, you deserve to suffer.

023.gif

except i don't suffer, and i do quite well without having to buy a 100 dollar arcade stick (which i've never played well on anyway) for 1 game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
If that's legit, looks like they're redesigning to more closely mimic the X360 controller layout - which would not be a bad thing IMO.
closely mimic? all they did was crop the D-pad buttons and the analog stick and paste them in different spots

Agent X

The pictured controller looks fake, and hopefully it is. Swapping the left analog stick and the digital joypad would be a tremendously bad idea--I much prefer the symmetrical configuration of the analog sticks as they exist on the current controllers.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
4t9l3ip.jpg

the only problems I have with the 360 are the triggers are too small (they need to but pushed back a tad) and the d-pad.

Ploid 3.0

The first few posts is proof that the analogs should stay where they are. People will say sony copied Xbo.. er Gc.. gah DC and it looks like it's in a worse position. It's good the way it is.

smashing our thumbs into each other

What how are people smashing their thumbs together. They must be hugging the controller way too close which would explain why they hate the analog placement of the PS controllers.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
shidoshi said:
NO, NOT IT IS NOT.

No you won't. I'll get some of them first.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Humans are almost naturally programmed to work with symmetry. I'm surprised so many people hate it.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
shidoshi said:
NO, NOT IT IS NOT.

I'll help you.
besada said:
can play without cramping our hands or smashing our thumbs into each other.
How the **** are you guys holding the controllers??:lol :lol It's impossible to cross your thumbs. Please post pics.

Rody

This is obviously a fake photoshop. I remember seeing it when people were guessing what the final PS3 controller would look like.

DKnight said:
I'll help you.

How the **** are you guys holding the controllers??:lol :lol It's impossible to cross your thumbs. Please post pics.

my thumbs don't cross but the tips will sometimes bump into each other when i play resistance.

The Jer

This picture has been discussed before. And after being a major topic of discussion in several threads already, I hope this thread will get it all out of our system.

Furthermore, I'd be ****ing pissed if they ever moved the left analog stick.

Don't understand why you all will be so pissed if they moved it. It's not like you can't still use the normal PS3 pads. Jesus. MIENE SONY IS USING M$ DESIGNZ, I WILL EMBARGO DEMMMMS>

Shins

Banned
Never mind switching around the analog stick placement; give me real damned L2/R2 triggers, damn it.

And there's a fair reason to be disgruntled with changes if they go ahead and use a new configuration on the ShockAxis, and you have to make a concession of no rumble to stick with the pad layout you prefer. If they were to release two versions of the ShockAxis, that point becomes moot.

But they wouldn't.

DrXym

This looks like complete nonsense. Why would Sony want to redesign the controller in a way that breaks every control scheme in existence? And more importantly why would they do it when the existing control scheme is perfectly okay? I have no problem at all using the SIXAXIS, or the DualShock. I have never thought to myself, hmm, swap these controls for no apparant reason and things will be better.

I'm sure XBox afficiandos could produce a good argument for swapping the D-Pad & analogue stick in a different console system but it seems like utter madness for Sony to do it.

Top Bottom