• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LucasArts leaks PS3 Controller Re-design? (D-Pad + Left Stick Switch-aroo!)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Find it interesting that people want to take two of the worst design decisions for the 360 controller and replicate them on a ps3 controller. :lol

I don't think it's a matter of who is copying who. Just make a PS controller that is good for games today. Why is the D pad still put on the left side like every game still uses it? FPS would be way better on PS systems if they updated the controller.

I wish that were real. But my main beef is with those HORRIBLE "triggers" on the sixaxis. Two laps in Motorstorm and my fingers have zero grip left. Aweful design, especially for racing games.

besada

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Find it interesting that people want to take two of the worst design decisions for the 360 controller and replicate them on a ps3 controller. :lol

That's because you have GAFitis, the common assumption that your personal preferences are somehow right and true and other people's personal preferences are dumb and stupid.

besada

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
What how are people smashing their thumbs together. They must be hugging the controller way too close which would explain why they hate the analog placement of the PS controllers.

Have you ever considered that some of us have bigger hands, ergo bigger thumbs? It only happens when I push both sticks inward, but then it happens every time. I'm 6' 2" and I have large hands. The PS3 just doesn't fit well in my hands. The larger, roomier 360 pad is a great fit.

Hell, the Duke fit my hands. If the buttons hadn't been finger breakers I wouldn't have moved to the S-type controller.

Gattsu25

Banned
besada said:
Have you ever considered that some of us have bigger hands, ergo bigger thumbs? It only happens when I push both sticks inward, but then it happens every time. I'm 6' 2" and I have large hands. The PS3 just doesn't fit well in my hands. The larger, roomier 360 pad is a great fit.

Hell, the Duke fit my hands. If the buttons hadn't been finger breakers I wouldn't have moved to the S-type controller.
I have large hands as well and beat you by an inch in height...the Duke was perfect for FPS. The Type-S and 360 pads were/are less accurate than the Duke IMO and, judging from resistance, similar to the PS3 pad in terms of accuracy and comfort..but that's all IMO.

Durante

shidoshi said:
I HATE you people that keep asking for Sony to switch the d-pad and analog stick, and if they do, I swear to god I'll kill you all.
I agree. I love the classic dualshock layout. May have to do with me mostly playing JRPGs/SRPGs on consoles though, especially in terms of gaming-hours.

vdo

I personally like the symmetry for my thumbs. I 90% am using the analog sticks (left for movement, right for camera control) and then the D-Pad is only for things like weapon select. I never understand how people use the D-Pad more - is it that you prefer to move with a D-Pad over an analog stick?

I wonder if they could ever make a controller where the D-Pad and Left Analog could be swapped? They would be part of a single module that would be pulled out and rotated and plugged back in.

Probably too expensive and complicated and might not ever feel as solid as a dedicated controller. The best way would be to, as some have said, offer both versions. I know others have said, they already do, but what I would be afraid of is that normal SixAxis had the symmetrical orientation, while they then came out with a TouchSense SixAxis that had it the other way. They would need to have the TouchSense version come out in both versions, otherwise they need to leave the design alone.

DantesWrath said:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/frunko1/sixaxis-controller.jpg
54amjxi.jpg

Goldrusher

vdo said:
I wonder if they could ever make a controller where the D-Pad and Left Analog could be swapped? They would be part of a single module that would be pulled out and rotated and plugged back in.

Interesting.

Branduil

vdo said:
I personally like the symmetry for my thumbs. I 90% am using the analog sticks (left for movement, right for camera control) and then the D-Pad is only for things like weapon select. I never understand how people use the D-Pad more - is it that you prefer to move with a D-Pad over an analog stick?

Probably too expensive and complicated and might not ever feel as solid as a dedicated controller. The best way would be to, as some have said, offer both versions. I know others have said, they already do, but what I would be afraid of is that normal SixAxis had the symmetrical orientation, while they then came out with a TouchSense SixAxis that had it the other way. They would need to have the TouchSense version come out in both versions, otherwise they need to leave the design alone.
41KD183hR4L._AA280_.jpg

Enron

Banned
Thank god this is all a lie. The PS2/PS3 controller is about 40 MILLION times better than the xbox controller. I absolutely DESPISE the stick placement on the xbox controller.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Enron said:
Thank god this is all a lie. The PS2/PS3 controller is about 40 MILLION times better than the xbox controller. I absolutely DESPISE the stick placement on the xbox controller.

stop its supposed to be the other way around

Norse

WOLLAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this why you told me to hold off on buying a ps2 controller for my ps3? I wanted a ps2 controller that is setup like the 360 one and Wollan said to wait till Sept at some Euro show where new controller would be shown.

Sony needs to change it as its too small now...and the left thumb/dpad need to swap placement. PLEASE BE REAL!!!!

Unagi

It's almost certainly a fake

ps3con.jpg

I found the photo above on google image search, it was posted on some forum last august.

phez

Banned
Enron said:

i cant tell if you're being sarcastic or not :(

legend166

Should have happened with the PS2 controller.

Almost every PS2 game I played at my friends house I used the d-pad because the analog stick positions are so horrible.

Innotech

Banned
I like this design better. the naalog sticks dont clash this way and my thumbs dont get in each others way. thats the main reason I couldnt play Katamari Damacy. Some of us gamers have large hands, Sony.

besada said:
That's because you have GAFitis, the common assumption that your personal preferences are somehow right and true and other people's personal preferences are dumb and stupid.
At least we know it's not spread sexually.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
6fjvdx4.jpg

if they're really going to change the stick locations, the whole design looks absolutely retarded (as seen above). So either no change or a complete redesign.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Faceless Master said:

:lol

and I like the 360's joystick placment. The problem with the Switch-aroo with the D-Pad and Analog stick on the regular ol' Shock Axis is that the form doesn't really work well with it. It would be better with the Boomerang design

gabe90

Just jumping in to say that I hate the Playstation controller because of the analog stick placement.

Sony listen up. Change the damn controller. You've had over 10 years to improve it, and you can't even change the one glaring error in its design. Change it!

Gattsu25

Banned
gabe90 said:
Just jumping in to say that I hate the Playstation controller because of the analog stick placement.

Sony listen up. Change the damn controller. You've had over 10 years to improve it, and you can't even change the one glaring error in its design. Change it!
opinion=fact :/

MechDX said:
That pics reminds of how bad the L2 and R2 "triggers" are. Motorstorm s terrible because after two laps my fingers start sliding down and off the triggers.

seriously, it need some kind of grip to it, they are terrible.

and the Dpad needs to be changed also, and its a really simple fix, just get rid of the gap in the middle and push the arrows together, it would end up being like the GB Micro Dpad and it works really well.

dfyb said:
i'd say microsoft is in competition with sony, and sony published Buzz.

94134_lg.png

buzz2.jpg

On one hand, one company is copying the controller that will be used for the vast majority of the games that people play for the system. On the other hand, one company is copying a niche, one-use controller that most people will never see anyways. That's a stretch of a comparison.

As was mentioned already, this is almost assuredly a fake anyways. Full-on damage control is a bit premature.

Gattsu25

Banned
WickedAngel said:
On one hand, one company is copying the controller that will be used for the vast majority of the games that people play for the system. On the other hand, one company is copying a niche, one-use controller that most people will never see anyways. That's a stretch of a comparison.

As was mentioned already, this is almost assuredly a fake anyways. Full-on damage control is a bit premature.
If all it takes for the Sony controller (which really hasn't externally changed for 10 or so years) to imitate the 360 controller is just to swap a D-Pad and an Analog stick, then Sony shouldn't be the one you accuse of copying

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gattsu25 said:
If all it takes for the Sony controller (which really hasn't externally changed for 10 or so years) to imitate the 360 controller is just to swap a D-Pad and an Analog stick, then Sony shouldn't be the one you accuse of copying

Hmm.

Now I'm curious -- which was shown off first, the GameCube controller or the Xbox controller?

I only ask as the Playstation controller is an obvious lift from the SNES one, and I'm suddenly curious as to who put together the "modern" joypad + joystick Xbox/GC layout first... or do we vaguely give that to Sega for the Dreamcast?

Oni Jazar

Linkzg said:
seriously, it need some kind of grip to it, they are terrible.

and the Dpad needs to be changed also, and its a really simple fix, just get rid of the gap in the middle and push the arrows together, it would end up being like the GB Micro Dpad and it works really well.

There's a reason why Microsoft's and Sony's D-pad sucks.

Nintendo has a patent on their dpad. The other two companies can't use it.

Gattsu25 said:

I didn't say they had copied the whole thing. They're copying that aspect of it (Which is a good aspect to copy since having both sticks on the same horizontal axis sucks).

Top Bottom