• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the lightsaber the best fictional weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only is the light saber not that impressive, Lucas didn't really invent it. The idea had been around for a long time in science fiction.

It may seem cool, but I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of more effective/cooler science fiction weapons, ranging from Hideo's monomolecular filament from Neuromancer to Outlaw Starr's black hole shooting magic pistol to Louis Wu's flashlight laser, which is a light saber without the range problem.

Forgot about the black hole magic bullets in Outlaw Star. Its hilarious to think how the villains see the shot coming at them in slow motion, basically lol at Gene and then are literally sucked into a black hole.

gforguava

2tPcIQx.jpg
The Glaive is actually the worst fictional weapon ever. It is hyped up to extremes, so much so that he is warned that he shouldn't even use it unless necessary, and then when he finally does whip it out he uses it to kill like two guys and then to cut open a door. He then confronts the main bad guy, throws it, and it gets stuck.

He then summons magical love-fire from his hand and that defeats the villain.

The Glaive is bullshit.

Eusis

It's probably one of the best iconic, mainstream ones, but I recall liking a ton of others more, like many Bloodborne weapons. Nevermind some of the other light saber type weapons out there.

Sesha

It's the best fictional weapon in the sense that FF7 is the best game ever made. That is, not at all.

How would this sword fare against the lighsaber?

It's just a slab of metal with mystical properties that allows it to damage spirits and otherwordly beings. A lightsaber would cut right through it like it does nearly everything else.

Defuser

Lightsaber is only good if it's a Jedi wielding it.

With no jedi powers its as good as bringing a knife to a gunfight.

*Indyshootsbadguy.gif*

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lightsaber is only good if it's a Jedi wielding it.

With no jedi powers its as good as bringing a knife to a gunfight.

*Indyshootsbadguy.gif*

But you could cut through bank vaults with it.

But you could cut through bank vaults with it.

you make a good point.

in light of this i say we rename this thread we should rename this thread to "Is the lightsaber the best fictional safe cracking tool that may also function well as a weapon when in the right hands?"

to which the answer is a solid 'probably'

StoneFox

Not only is the light saber not that impressive, Lucas didn't really invent it. The idea had been around for a long time in science fiction.

It may seem cool, but I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of more effective/cooler science fiction weapons, ranging from Hideo's monomolecular filament from Neuromancer to Outlaw Starr's black hole shooting magic pistol to Louis Wu's flashlight laser, which is a light saber without the range problem.

Oh man, I forgot about that gun, that gun was the shit.

Magic bullets that can shoot everything from small scale explosions to black holes? There isn't a cooler gun around. It was basically an excuse to have magic in space but goddammit, I wanted that gun so bad as a kid. Screw lightsabers! :p

Oh man, I forgot about that gun, that gun was the shit.

Magic bullets that can shoot everything from small scale explosions to black holes? There isn't a cooler gun around. It was basically an excuse to have magic in space but goddammit, I wanted that gun so bad as a kid. Screw lightsabers! :p

what would you even do with it?

I wonder what you could do with a lightsabre if someone just decided to shoot you with a regular gun. Could the beam melt the bullet quickly enough that it wouldn't just blast straight through and kill you? I feel like you'd just get hit in the face with a white hot bullet instead of a regular temperature one.

I wonder what you could do with a lightsabre if someone just decided to shoot you with a regular gun. Could the beam melt the bullet quickly enough that it wouldn't just blast straight through and kill you? I feel like you'd just get hit in the face with a white hot bullet instead of a regular temperature one.

afaik only vibroblades can parry a lightsaber but im not sure how canon those are

Have fun.

scary

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
wrt hand held weapons, I'm going with either the classic chainsaw bayonet lancer from Gears, or this beauty from District 9:

99fb0e4ec325fe3fab42e491e84d2683.jpg

weekev

Banned
All these other examples are nowhere near as cool with the exception of the proton pack from Ghostbusters which is close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom