• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the lightsaber the best fictional weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying guillotine.
MasterOfTheFlyingGuillotine02-FungShengWuChi-03-400-sg.gif.cf.gif

MasterOfTheFlyingGuillotine02-FungShengWuChi-04-400-sg.gif.cf.gif

I hope you've seen the Boondocks episode with the same weapon

-Amon-

The light saber in its original form is by far the best imaginary weapon ever conceived in my opinion.

There is nothing good to come out of the prequels for fanatics, is there?

fanatics? the prequels did some things well, like the music and some neat designs etc. But giving so many characters lightsabers and having them fight for 10 minutes straight took away the kind of rare mythical feel they had for sure.

Can it deflect a BFG? Or even a real weapon like a nuclear warhead?

it was never about which weapon is the most destructive, that would be really really boring. ie. Wormhole gun from Farscape or Black Hole spawning gun in Star Trek lol

besada

Banned
Not only is the light saber not that impressive, Lucas didn't really invent it. The idea had been around for a long time in science fiction.

It may seem cool, but I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of more effective/cooler science fiction weapons, ranging from Hideo's monomolecular filament from Neuromancer to Outlaw Starr's black hole shooting magic pistol to Louis Wu's flashlight laser, which is a light saber without the range problem.

Two Words

Not only is the light saber not that impressive, Lucas didn't really invent it. The idea had been around for a long time in science fiction.

It may seem cool, but I can think of dozens, maybe hundreds of more effective/cooler science fiction weapons, ranging from Hideo's monomolecular filament from Neuromancer to Outlaw Starr's black hole shooting magic pistol to Louis Wu's flashlight laser, which is a light saber without the range problem.
Goku's Power Pole is a lot cooler, IMO

Kurdel

Banned
Men in Black Cricket gun is an fun fictional weapon.

tumblr_msihjpxM6b1s2jfn0o6_400.gif

But then I found this gif where he jobs to prequel Obi Wan.

15b7bc5264f9573dae5ff6b91b378013.jpg

ZiZ

No, it just looks cool but it isn't very useful as a weapon.
This is a world where wars are fought with death stars and star destroyers, and they want to fight with melee weapons? Sure it can reflect a laser beam, but can it reflect an explosion? What about fire from a flame thrower?

I' m not familiar with the EU. Why are all Jedi warriors? With powers like that you'd think they would be far better as something else.

Trouble

Banned
Nah. They aren't even that interesting in the gamut of sci-fi weaponry.

How about sentient weapons whose designs were sent back in time from future humans?

Hell Class fuck yeah!

DrkSage

Honestly, if I had the arm strength... The dragonslayer sword from berserk would be my other fictional weapon pick. Lightsabers be damned.

PSiwo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom