• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Sir Doom

I'm sorry Iris and Mon El, but time to ship the power couple Barry and Kara.
I was ready for Joe singing, but Winn stole the show

Good light hearted episode after doom and gloom Flash.

Barry and Kara's scenes together feel so much more natural than any of Barry and Iris'. I didn't really ship it until this episode. Loved them together.

Though Barry tends to have more chemistry with any other actress on the show. I really like Iris as an individual, but those two feel so forced. It's a shame that that probably won't change.

sirap

Barry and Kara's scenes together feel so much more natural than any of Barry and Iris'. I didn't really ship it until this episode. Loved them together.

Though Barry tends to have more chemistry with any other actress on the show. I really like Iris as an individual, but those two feel so forced. It's a shame that that probably won't change.

Yeah well
pseudo
incest is weird even when you're pretending lol.

Anbec7

I really liked the episode, I was grinning a lot.

And also yeah Winn took the episode the dude can sing! Loved Moonriver also from Melissa

Please nerf Music Meister next time he shows up CW. Otherwise, it's unbelievable he doesn't just solve the multiverse's problems himself.

Nope. Keep him omnipotent. Make him like the CW-Verses Q. And even have him once in a while transplant cast into other non-musical fantasies

edit: i'm really hoping for next season of Arrow to have him throw the cast into medieval era England with Oliver as Robin Hood to learn some kind of lesson lol. it doesn't have to be a musical if they can't sing.

Mory Dunz

Maybe by episode 100 Barry and Iris will have a shred of chemistry.
I'm leaning towards it being Grant's fault, cause he seems different with literally every other girl.

well, guess I was beaten

Joni

I love Legends of Tomorrow because it doesn't do any of this, and it's light on relationship drama as well. Basically it's everything the first season of Flash was i.e. embracing the fact that it's a comic book show. Its basically one theme park roller coaster episode to another.

This is one of the few episodes this year where The Flash embraced the stupid fun of comic books.

Did I miss an explanation about Music Meister gaining Barry and Kara's powers as a result of them being in the musical world? Or was that just implied and then the episode moved on without attributing motivation?

They explicitly mentioned he was draining their powers and how they would lose them.

so where are we putting Arrowverse Music Meister on the allignment chart?

chaotic good right?

Yes. Seems like it.

Please nerf Music Meister next time he shows up CW. Otherwise, it's unbelievable he doesn't just solve the multiverse's problems himself.

He might not care too much about big events, just about stuff like relationships. It is Glee's Blaine we are talking about.

that would be a shame. I think he's been a great addition to the team.

gonna be on the minority on this one and say that I'd prefer Caitlyn die over him (if somebody has to go). But then the team would have a severe woman deficit.

that would be a shame. I think he's been a great addition to the team.

gonna be on the minority on this one and say that I'd prefer Caitlyn die over him (if somebody has to go). But then the team would have a severe woman deficit.
I'm with you. She's been completely useless for a while now.

Onaco

Why is he called Music Meister when he didn't technically cause Barry or Kara to dream of musicals? He should be called the Dream Weaver. Also why did he attack Central City if he's supposedly doing this out of love? What was he plotting by stealing their powers? What's the point of stealing Flash's speed when Supergirl and Superman are almost as fast?

Joni

Why is he called Music Meister when he didn't technically cause Barry or Kara to dream of musicals? He should be called the Dream Weaver. Also why did he attack Central City if he's supposedly doing this out of love? What was he plotting by stealing their powers? What's the point of stealing Flash's speed when Supergirl and Superman are almost as fast?
- He might be able to steer their dreams in the musical direction.
- He attacked Central City so Kid Flash is forced to act and regain his confidence.
- He might not be doing it on purpose, or he did it to help Kid Flash.
- Flash is still supposed to be faster.

Everything was a swerve to fix their relationships and make Kid Flash believe in himself again. That's it. He had to convince them he was a normal villain and Music Meister was that vector.

DaveH

High expectations, a little let down.
With so many talented singers, they all have a back catalog of covers that I can already listen to. I wanted to hear more original music or- at least- more thematically tied.
Needed more female voices too, Melissa is great but all on her own.
Definitely wanted more music period.
A little more dance would have been nice, but satisfied with what we got.
Very glad they didn't restrict songs to the in-musical period.
Bonus points for the last song being in-world, which often isn't the case for these episodes.

For me, didn't come close to dethroning "Once More With Feeling." The sound track has 23+ tracks!... "Duet" has a paltry 6 by comparison.

Talent is way above other one-off musical episodes, but song choice and density feels about on par to below.

I know they don't want us taking these for granted and feeling entitled to them, so I'll understand if this is a one-time deal to keep us from being spoiled... but I hope they take another crack at it eventually.

ZeroX03

Banned
Runnin' Home to You is probably my favorite song. It was original, and I like that it was Barry's initiative and not part of the fantasy. It's the only smart and cool thing he's done in a long time.

they shouldn't have even had him propose to her in the other episode and have all that stupid "i did it for savitar" nonsense.

this was a great scene and proposal. I'm just gonna try and pretend it was the first time.

Altairre

Not caught up on either of these shows but I love the idea of a musical episode so much that I'll probably still watch it. Maybe I'll get through the rest of this Flash season first though I haven't heard great things about it. Season 2 was such a letdown compared to the first.

geeko

Yo, I didn't know Winn and Cisco could sing, too!

I wish they had more songs.

Winn (Jeremy Jordan) played the lead in the debut version of Newsies on Broadway. He's got some serious singing skills. Cisco (Carlos Valves) was also part of a theater troop and toured nationwide doing Jersey Boys. Joe West (Jesse Martin) was in the debut version of Rent on Broadway. It's great to see these guys getting to use their singing talent on The Flash.

Bonus: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3a49-sj3A

Platy

Worst musical episode I ever saw =P

It had its fun moments (i got a laugh at Barry's unintended homophobia) but the compositions and the amount of songs was a totaly waste of potential considering they had so many great singers

It had its fun moments (i got a laugh at Barry's unintended homophobia) but the compositions and the amount of songs was a totaly waste of potential considering they had so many great singers
While I wouldn't say it was bad, I agree. It should have just been song after song of nonstop singing.

GulAtiCa

That's how I felt too. It was fun and enjoyable. But had like 1/3rd or 1/4th the songs and effort put into it then like Buffy did. Hell, it feels like a bit of wasted potential sing they had so many actual singers to use.

There were several parts in the episode that could have easily been done in song.

Platy

Yeah when they said "lets convince them to be open to their parents" I was SURE that they would do the convincing on a song !

While I wouldn't say it was bad, I agree. It should have just been song after song of nonstop singing.

Never said it was bad ... just that it was a worst use of music than Batman Brave and the Bold, Buffy, Supernatural, Community or Xena, which is sad because the amount of vocal talent the Arrowverse has is off the charts compared to the other shows =P
Which is a good way to say that I hope Sarah Michelle Gellar never sings again in her life

Yeah when they said "lets convince them to be open to their parents" I was SURE that they would do the convincing on a song !

Never said it was bad ... just that it was a worst use of music than Batman Brave and the Bold, Buffy, Supernatural, Community or Xena, which is sad because the amount of vocal talent the Arrowverse has is off the charts compared to the other shows =P
Which is a good way to say that I hope Sarah Michelle Gellar never sings again in her life

Can't forget Scrubs - they fit eight songs into half the timeslot, and "Guy Love" and "Everything Comes Down to Poo" were classics

Joni

The Flash writers are amazing like that. They managed accidental racism with Firestorm last year.

Parch

Winn (Jeremy Jordan) played the lead in the debut version of Newsies on Broadway. He's got some serious singing skills. Cisco (Carlos Valves) was also part of a theater troop and toured nationwide doing Jersey Boys. Joe West (Jesse Martin) was in the debut version of Rent on Broadway. It's great to see these guys getting to use their singing talent on The Flash.
Didn't somebody say that some of the cast members were on Glee? I was deathly allergic to that show so I wouldn't know who.

I thought it was an interesting episode. When I first found out they were having a Music Meister ep I cringed, but it turned out pretty good. Nice change of pace.

Platy

Didn't somebody say that some of the cast members were on Glee? I was deathly allergic to that show so I wouldn't know who.

I thought it was an interesting episode. When I first found out they were having a Music Meister ep I cringed, but it turned out pretty good. Nice change of pace.

Barry, Kara and Music Meister were on Glee

Joni

Kara, Barry and Music Meister had quite big roles on Glee. Especially Grant was mesmerising on Glee. They also have some behind the scenes talent. Ali Adler did producing work on that show for instance.

Blader

Cute episode, though the ending was way overdone, even by Flash/Arrowverse standards. Hadn't Barry proposed the first time just days earlier? Iris was acting more surprised and bowled over by last night than she was the first time :lol

SeanC

An alright ep, none of the songs wowed me but it was cool seeing that weird alt universe.

I could tell which song Rachel Bloom wrote, it was very Rachel Bloom and probably could have used a little more to it in terms of production. I was expecting more bigger dance numbers TBH.

Neoxon

Music Miester also saved us a few episodes of Wally bouncing back from his time in the Speed Force.

Thanks, Music Miester. Now we can get to the good stuff.

Winn absolutely KILLED it this episode. Amazing voice.
I know that most of the cast is very talented and experience on stage, but it felt like out of nowhere, Winn had the best voice. Cisco was impressive as well.
Jeremy Jordan (Winn on Supergirl) is a top-tier musical theatre actor who I believe was nominated for a Tony. So yeah, Winn killin' it wasn't a surprise, but was nice to see.

Go check out Bonnie & Clyde: The Musical or the movie version of The Last Five Years if you want to hear more of Jeremy Jordan's singing.

ZeroX03

Banned
If there were songs on the Supergirl side, they would've totally brought in Alura/Astra/Laura Benanti. She's another Broadway darling with chords of steel.

Joni

If there were songs on the Supergirl side, they would've totally brought in Alura/Astra/Laura Benanti. She's another Broadway darling with chords of steel.
Meh, I liked how they did this with just part of their regulars. No need to bring on separate people.

Neoxon

One of my friends & her boyfriend were looking for a duet to do & I gave them Super Friend's sheet music. Is there a karaoke version available, yet?

Meh, I liked how they did this with just part of their regulars. No need to bring on separate people.
I mean, Zero's not wrong, it would have been nice to have Alura do a song.

Top Bottom