• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK now charging to try Playstation VR

TM94

Erm ... what?

yHFYBBF.png

Kyoufu

They've been charging for a while now. Really shitty, but not unexpected from a shit company like GAME.

Can't blame them. Imagine having to clean that facial grease buildup every day. Yuck.

Not saying that Game isn't an abhorrent company though.

Kathian

Banned
Kind of makes sense. I still think these headsets would be best in an arcade.

Not a great sign of Sony pushing this though as if Game can charge they probably have a bit of a monopoly over them.

LewieP

Pretty sure that Sony will have a word and tell them to stop doing this, and also pretty sure it would be breaching the license agreement included with software. Not that I'd care about breaching the license agreement, but I imagine Sony and other publishers that deal with GAME wouldn't be happy about it.

Really shitty move from a shitty company.

Edit: Also hilarious that they are doing a terrible upsell. One thirty minute session costs the same as three 10 minute sessions.

DavidDesu

That's fucking ugly. Sony should not be letting this happen, it just doesn't give off good vibes. Free demos would help sell this. Charging for it.. more chance to just leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Kyoufu

Pretty sure that Sony will have a word and tell them to stop doing this, and also pretty sure it would be breaching the license agreement included with software. Not that I'd care about breaching the license agreement, but I imagine Sony and other publishers that deal with GAME wouldn't be happy about it.

Really shitty move from a shitty company.

Sony doesn't give a fuck.

This didn't start yesterday, or last week. It's been going on for at least a month.

Chris1

Sony doesn't give a fuck.

This didn't start yesterday, or last week. It's been going on for at least a month.

Is it a case of not giving a fuck or simply not knowing about it? Because it sounds extremely limited to certain stores. I know our stores doesn't do this.. (yet). and this is also the first I've heard about it.

But yeah, I doubt Sony will care regardless. GAME already paid for it, it's their property now.

IvorB

Typical for GAME really. Thinking about it, I wonder if the Sony store at Tottenham Court Rd has any demos of this going...

That's fucking ugly. Sony should not be letting this happen, it just doesn't give off good vibes. Free demos would help sell this. Charging for it.. more chance to just leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

From what I know from someone working at retail in Poland Sony doesn't do any demo stations in shops so it's done by Game.

Tall Paul

Just seen local store tweet this, a new low, but they add the words "Buy a VR and get the money off" which I'm hoping means you get the demo money discounted on the full price.

Chris1

Just seen local store tweet this, a new low, but they add the words "Buy a VR and get the money off" which I'm hoping means you get the demo money discounted on the full price.

I just looked at ~5 stores that I know of's twitter in my city, one of them tweeted out the same thing a few hours ago, the others haven't. That's probably coming anytime soon now.

Well they don't mention prices, just that you can book it for 10/30 minute session & terms and conditions apply, I doubt it's free though.

zakujanai

You'd think they'd be happy to have something that encouraged people to go into their shitty overpriced shops. I'll continue to avoid them, like everybody else.

Kyoufu

Is it a case of not giving a fuck or simply not knowing about it? Because it sounds extremely limited to certain stores. I know our stores doesn't do this.. (yet). and this is also the first I've heard about it.

But yeah, I doubt Sony will care regardless. GAME already paid for it, it's their property now.

I'm pretty sure they know about it since it's been going on since as far back as September 3 at least. Here's my tweet about it: https://twitter.com/Kyoufu2011/status/772090097525223428

GAME responded with: https://twitter.com/GAMEHelps/status/772131673169354752

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shameful. And that is without even taking into account the highway robbery that is that price, not even fucking cutting-edge theme park attractions are that expensive when you do the math. Even the freakin' London Eye is priced at £25 (£21 online) for 30 minutes + "4D Cinema Experience".
And shame on Sony if they don't intervene to put a stop, pretty sure they can't even do it legally with the kind of license the software has, unless there's a GAME owned demo disc for this purpose that I'm not aware of.

Evilmaus

Wow. Fuck this.

Game is a joke anyway. I only go in there on impulse if I happen to be passing by, and even then they never seem to have anything I'm looking for.

oti

Banned
Are the lines so long that not everyone can try it in a reasonable timeframe? If not this is unnecessary.

J4g3r

Saw my local one tweet this.

They mentioned that whatever demo you pay for, that amount gets knocked off the system if you decide to buy it.

Still silly, regardless.

Tall Paul

Just tweeted the my local store and they confirmed you do get the demo money off of you buy one, still crap way of doing it but guess that's down to the buyers confidence in what they want it or not.

Tall Paul

I just looked at ~5 stores that I know of's twitter in my city, one of them tweeted out the same thing a few hours ago, the others haven't. That's probably coming anytime soon now.

Well they don't mention prices, just that you can book it for 10/30 minute session & terms and conditions apply, I doubt it's free though.
yep none of the others seem to say that, really bad.

angelic

Banned
Does the calibration and fitting count in the 10 minute period? Get the headset on, focus, navigate the menus, load the game, set the control options up. HEY HEY! Time up! Please insert 5 more pounds to continue.

I could buy better games on gear VR for the money of a PSVR demo.

I mean, if they have to have an employee man the PSVR with them for the session (which they really should at this point in time), it's actually fair enough to charge for it. It's more involved than having a normal console demo station where you can slap a huge safety box over everything to avoid damage and theft.

Prices are a bit extortionate, but whatever, it's GAME, when are they not?

Top Bottom