• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK now charging to try Playstation VR

Wireframe

Spare a thought for us Northerners who live in such a space-time distortion it's still the 1950's round 'ere. £5 is like an entire week's wages, how the hell am I going to buy a loaf of bread to make my seven kids some bread sandwiches huh?

No idea what you're talking about, and I'm from Liverpool.

Chris1

That's the OS for the PS4 - you can't run shit on a PS4 without using System Software, and you're explicitly forbidden from renting it.

Technically you are renting software.

The input is irrelevant, if they are playing someone's game, they are in the wrong to charge for it without permission.

Not defending GAME or anything here btw, I agree with you guys, they are basically renting the software just using loopholes but..

You can play (some?) VR games without the headset right? It just won't be in VR (pardon my ignorance I haven't really looked into VR that much)? If so, if they let you play those games without putting the headset on for free then they aren't renting any software, they're renting the headset to use which is completely different from what you're arguing technically.

RoyalFool

Banned
They will probably sell the headsets as 'new' still anyway.

Game are horrible, please stop giving money to them so they can die.

I expect nothing less from a company that took PS4 pre-orders and then refused to adhere to said order unless the buyer bought 2 games at launch (My local GAME Newcastle did this)

Plot twist.

WRzWPYM.png

ZrlVioz.png

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not defending GAME or anything here btw, I agree with you guys, they are basically renting the software just using loopholes but..

You can play (some?) VR games without the headset right? It just won't be in VR (pardon my ignorance I haven't really looked into VR that much)? If so, if they let you play those games without putting the headset on for free then they aren't renting any software, they're renting the headset to use which is completely different from what you're arguing technically.

There are a few games that are normal tv games that have an additional VR mode but all the demos and VR games that launched with the system require the headset.

Storm360

I expect nothing less from a company that took PS4 pre-orders and then refused it adhere to said order unless the buyer bought 2 games at launch (My local GAME Newcastle did this)

Jesus did Newcastle really do this? Glad I ordered on Amazon ha.

I tried PSVR free at the Newcastle store. Kinda shitty if they're starting to charge people.

The demo experiences aren't really worth paying for aswell, when I went they just loaded up the demo disc and put a headset on me. I didn't even have audio or a seat (Playing RIGS standing is... Interesting)

hohoXD123

Lol stupid move, guess they're desperate for some money. Wonder if they are even allowed to do this.

People who support GAME into their continued existence, shame on you.

Oh please, stop with this BS. They have one of the best trade-in and reward card policies which I take advantage of, their new game prices are generally terrible but I just end up buying online credit or games when their prices occasionally fall in line with other retailers. See no reason why I should feel shame for that. But hey, if you want to guilt people into not supporting a company so they fail (again) and take thousands of jobs with them then up to you.

That's because Liverpool isn't the north.

You're kidding right?

Uhhhhhh... dude

When I moved to Manchester there was a guy from Newcastle who referred to everyone from Manchester and Liverpool as Southerners. It was pretty funny because I'm from Glasgow.

As for GAME, if lines were a problem and they had a lot of time wasters who had no intention of buying a PSVR, then this isn't a terrible solution as long as someone who wants to buy it can get their money back off the purchase.

If they are putting on an extra member of staff to monitor and guide a potential customer through the experience and then sanitise the headset after each use, then charging seems like an okay practice. However GAME is still a terrible company so I wouldn't set my expectations so high.

Storm360

When I moved to Manchester there was a guy from Newcastle who referred to everyone from Manchester and Liverpool as Southerners. It was pretty funny because I'm from Glasgow.

As for GAME, if lines were a problem and they had a lot of time wasters who had no intention of buying a PSVR, then this isn't a terrible solution as long as someone who wants to buy it can get their money back off the purchase.

If they are putting on an extra member of staff to monitor and guide a potential customer through the experience and then sanitise the headset after each use, then charging seems like an okay practice. However GAME is still a terrible company so I wouldn't set my expectations so high.

They aren't sanitizing the headsets and for guiding etc they were basically just monitoring us to make sure we don't walk away with it

Scummy piece of shit company does scummy piece of shit thing to do. Doesn't really surprise me in the slightest. I was expecting to see some sort of demo stall in store yesterday at the local when I headed in, guess that's why. Having it out for public access would mean having a staff member standing around to nickel and dime you. Guess they only break it out if you ask and fork over the cash.

samn

Someone's offering a product or service that you don't think is worth the money? Here's a cool tip: you don't have buy it! Crazy I know.

I just can't...Jesus

Wasn't there a theme park that had guitar hero demos where you paid to play but they were purposefully de-calibrated so you'd lose quicker and pay more (this is in the UK)

Anyway I really hope GAME go under I regret working there christ

OCD Guy

I'm not even mad. It just reeks of desperation from a business doing whatever they can to keep their head above water.

They're going to drown soon enough though, no doubt about that.

It's just a shame that because of certain people mis-managing the business and not adapting to the times that thousands of innocent people are going to be out of a job.

I won't even feel bad for the people that mis-managed the company as they've had more than enough chances now.

RalchAC

If GAME is asking people to pay for this, couldn't the developers whose demos are being played ask them for part of that revenue? Couldn't Sony ask them to pay for those headsets which, I guess, were given for free in order to showcase PSVR?

Couldn't it be a break of the user agreement with those demos? Isn't there a non-commercial clause to most of them?

GRaider81

Someone's offering a product or service that you don't think is worth the money? Here's a cool tip: you don't have buy it! Crazy I know.

What is the service? Sampling me a new product to see if i might want to buy it? Its ok to charge for that now?

Marks and Spencer's didn't ask for any cash when they were sampling some biscuits today. They better get on that.

Jito

Banned
Spare a thought for us Northerners who live in such a space-time distortion it's still the 1950's round 'ere. £5 is like an entire week's wages, how the hell am I going to buy a loaf of bread to make my seven kids some bread sandwiches huh?

What is this utter bollocks?

Scummy move by Game but I'm really not surprised, nice way to get a skin rash I imagine.

samn

What is the service? Sampling me a new product to see if i might want to buy it? Its ok to charge for that now?

Marks and Spencer's didn't ask for any cash when they were sampling some biscuits today. They better get on that.

Yes, it is okay to charge for it. If you don't want to pay for it then how does that hurt you?

Top Bottom