• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK now charging to try Playstation VR

bosseye

Ha, fuck that. How to ensure nobody tries your new system that you really want to be pushing to everyone who comes near it. Can't imagine Sony will love that.

I was in game the other day and they had the Vive all set up in a corner, no one on it, no one in the shop and the guy stood attending the Vive said I wasn't allowed on it sorry. No idea why, he wouldn't say.

Game are so bad, worst prices, worst service and a seeming bizarre inability to understand why they fail. Shit off.

Mathieran

Banned
Does someone have to extra staff the thing to run demos? I could understand why they might need to charge a nominal fee to cover the costs of staffing it. It seems kind of silly though, considering selling one or two units could probably cover the cost of staffing someone.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
AccJqGd.jpg

edit:

Fuckin' autocorrect making me look like an illiterate and with one of my pet peeves to boot (your/you're), ugh

Are the lines so long that not everyone can try it in a reasonable timeframe? If not this is unnecessary.
My local hasn't set it up yet, but I'd imagine if it was free then people would be crowding the store all day.

Then again, my local also lied about the FIFA fastest goal they were running. The time was actually much faster but they never put the real time up as people would stop trying. So with a false time up, people tried and thought they'd win. Scam!

The one piece of technology that customers should definitely try before they buy and of course GAME charges for the opportunity. Bloody hell.

FallAgain

As far as I can see, they no longer have any stores in the center of London. They must be desperate to be doing this! lol

That thing looks ridiculous, lol. Can't believe anyone would pay to put that thing on their head. What kind of company charges for demoing something anyway...

Wiped89

But yeah, I doubt Sony will care regardless. GAME already paid for it, it's their property now.

This is incorrect. You are not allowed to buy a bluray or dvd and charge people to come watch it. It is right there in the disclaimers at the start of the disc. Same is true of this.

Footos22

The game in my town is heaving all the time. People don't know any better . Was no one trying vr though. I guess they were charging too didn't stop to ask. Looked cool though.

IvorB

Does someone have to extra staff the thing to run demos? I could understand why they might need to charge a nominal fee to cover the costs of staffing it. It seems kind of silly though, considering selling one or two units could probably cover the cost of staffing someone.

The onus is not on the consumer to fund their staffing costs for in store sales and marketing demos.

I'm not one to usually rush to the defense of GAME, but....

If you go on to buy a PSVR afterwards you do get that money back. I guess it's just a means of managing numbers and demoing to serious people only. GAME stores aren't Best Buys. They are often tiny with minimal staff. The last thing they want is a load of time wasters hogging the system and an employee's time I guess.

krang

As a company, GAME needs to die already. It's just a shame they employ people whose wellbeing is worth a damn.

Wireframe

It provides a barrier for time wasters I guess? If you're gonna pay £350, an extra £5 to try it is reasonable.

My local games tweet does not mention price. Going to go down and have a look, will pay the fiver to see if I should pick one up. If not I will ask for it to go on my pro preorder, my game are not too bad so sure they will do this.

I'm not one to usually rush to the defense of GAME, but....

If you go on to buy a PSVR afterwards you do get that money back. I guess it's just a means of managing numbers and demoing to serious people only. GAME stores aren't Best Buys. They are often tiny with minimal staff. The last thing they want is a load of time wasters hogging the system and an employee's time I guess.

It provides a barrier for time wasters I guess? If you're gonna pay £350, an extra £5 to try it is reasonable.

Heavy demo play is never a waste of time. People who give great impressions are free WoM marketing. People who see long queues to play a thing they're only marginally interested in become enticed to irrationally spend money on it.

Plus, you can't do this legally with licensed software without giving the publishers their cut.

I saw this show up on my timeline with the expected amount of negative reactions.

Good luck with this one, GAME.

I tried an Oculus/Touch demo in John Lewis Oxford Street yesterday for free.

Certinty

What a joke. I would sort of understand maybe £5 for 30 minutes but for 10? Hahaha go fuck yourselves GAME.

Empty

sony don't need to run this through game. imo they should just rent out spaces in all the biggest shopping centres in the uk and have dozens of free demo units. the long queues and curiosity factor would be amazing marketing running up to christmas.

Chris1

This is incorrect. You are not allowed to buy a bluray or dvd and charge people to come watch it. It is right there in the disclaimers at the start of the disc. Same is true of this.
Technically you're not charging people to play the games though, you're charging them to use PSVR. Though it is a good point, any idea if that extends to hardware, too?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Technically you're not charging people to play the games though, you're charging them to use PSVR. Though it is a good point, any idea if that extends to hardware, too?

Technically you are renting software.

Plum

So weird when just a few weeks ago I demoed the Oculus Rift in the GAME in Cardiff and didn't have to pay anything. What's changed with PSVR?

Tesser

Spare a thought for us Northerners who live in such a space-time distortion it's still the 1950's round 'ere. £5 is like an entire week's wages, how the hell am I going to buy a loaf of bread to make my seven kids some bread sandwiches huh?

It makes sense, you are booking an appointment. They have to have someone meet with you, set up the demo, watch you play, and then secure the equipment afterwards. Now that I own a PS VR, it's kind of a pain in the ass to show it off to someone once the system is put away.

Spare a thought for us Northerners who live in such a space-time distortion it's still the 1950's round 'ere. £5 is like an entire week's wages, how the hell am I going to buy a loaf of bread to make my seven kids some bread sandwiches huh?

Sell them for medical experments?
/python

Top Bottom