• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuyIqGvLoFs

bRcj0Nv.gif

Okay, I think Ka is finally clicking for me - who would've thought. Listening to Honor Killed the Samurai again. Still don't have any clue what he's even talking about, though, lol. I would have to concentrate solely on the lyrics, but I'm listening more for the atmospheric vibe, right now, tbh. Sounds like DOOM to me, where I pretty much have never understood 98% of his lyrics. I mean, I remember reading about how DOOM used old-ass dictionaries for words and phrases that not even native speakers would know anymore, so how was I supposed to, especially at the age of 14/15 when I started listening to him.

EDIT: RapGenius tells me Ka's rapping from the view of a Samurai or something? Okay... Wouldn't have realized that.

Man, the beat on Illicit Fields. Beautiful.

Yeah if you want to pick up on what Ka's doing, you really have to sit and listen. He uses a lot of slang and partial sentences where he twists idioms and proverbs into punchlines and double entendres, sometimes stacked right on top of each other.

But even when you're not in the mood for that, the production and atmosphere is always top notch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All of the Ka albums I've listened to feel like must-listens TBH. I don't ever touch them agai, but that's okay. Unique, riveting, deep, enriching listens. Very unique projects from front to back.

Funk EP from Mayer Hawthorne and Jake One:

Tuxedo - Fux With The Tux EP
Man, I had fallen out of the loop with Tuxedo so much over the past year or so, so I'm jumping straight into this. Discovered The Right Time a few weeks ago.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
🎸🎹
🎸🎹
🎸🎹
🎹
🎹

🥁🎹WHATS THE PRICE🎹🥁

giphy.gif

PRICES, PRICES
GOIN' UP

Listening to Ka is a lot like watching Kurosawa or a great art film for me. It's not something I always do, but I love it and find when I put them on, I have to really pay attention to it.

He's not somebody I listen to casually, but it's always a treat to put on an album and hear his work and just listen.

Finally getting around to "Awaken, My Love", currently on track 4, Camp was my least favorite album of all time so this is a massive step up, but I'm not sure if the sound is for me, it's clearly incredible though.

PlayDat

Happy belated birthday Irish!

I go to Rate Your Music pretty regularly. Their charts are a really nice feature because of how specific they let you get. For example if you want a list of good punk rock albums from the 00s or electronic albums from 1997, they’ve got you covered.

For as great as the site is, over time I’ve learned not to take their ratings or rankings too seriously. Like other sites that amass user scores, the numbers you see tell you as much about their userbase as they do about the art itself. RYM is made up mostly of white guys in their late 20s-early 30s with just a passing interest in rap music. Only 9 of their top 100 overall albums are hip-hop. Their number 1 album of all time is OK Computer. While I think it’s pretty good, I wouldn’t put it near the top 50 (not that I have a list myself). I have a feeling the reason OKC is their number 1 is because it was released at a time when their users were starting to develop their taste in music. They also tend to be biased against music that doesn’t take itself very seriously. Their ratings for trap and pop music are usually much lower than how the general public views those releases. These are people who tend not to listen to music in social settings and have trouble appreciating an album for just being fun.

These are some examples of albums in their all time greatest that I don’t think Gaf-Hop rates highly.
Run the Jewels 1
Licensed to Ill
The Marshall Mathers LP
Hell Hath No Fury
Labor Days

I also wish their database handled mixtapes and EPs better. I personally don’t make much of a distinction between mixtapes and albums in hip-hop unless the mixtape is just a compilation of previously released material or new lyrics over old beats. The fact that their site makes a distinction means you have a look more closely at how projects are categorized. Sometimes users label albums in a way that I wouldn’t which gets me confused when I’m looking at a chart instead of a single artist’s page. For example, Noname had the number 1 mixtape for 2016, but doesn’t appear anywhere in the 2016 albums list. Similarly, Covert Coup is in their top EPs of 2011, but doesn’t appear on the 2011 albums list.

Despite my issues with the ratings, it’s still an excellent source for discovery.

Side note: I’m miffed by the growing segment of Danny Brown’s fanbase that views AE (561 overall on RYM) as his magnum opus instead of XXX (1781 overall).

Finally getting around to Run The Jewels 3,this album is a lot more cohesive and sounds like it has a single sound than each of the previous two (though I probably like Run The Jewels 2 more).
The beat on Talk To Me is ridiculous.

I agree on the bolded part, but I think that hurts the album quite a bit. Like when you point out Talk To Me, I have no idea which song that is off the top of my head despite having listened to the album 4 times now. 2100 is the only real exception for me. That's partially for its production and the way they slow down their delivery. It's a welcome change that ended up benefiting the song. I'd like to hear them take more risks in the future. Maybe do a concept album. If their next project is called RTJ4 and doesn't have some dramatic changes to their song topics or production, I'm going to be really disappointed.

What about Because the Internet?
Like I've said multiple times in this thread, Camp scarred me and I didn't touch anything Gambino related for a year, and all I did was relisten to part of Camp which was slightly more palatable to me.
I haven't even thought of listening to BTI.
I agree on the bolded part, but I think that hurts the album quite a bit. Like when you point out Talk To Me, I have no idea which song that is off the top of my head despite having listened to the album 4 times now. 2100 is the only real exception for me. That's partially for its production and the way they slow down their delivery. It's a welcome change that ended up benefiting the song. I'd like to hear them take more risks in the future. Maybe do a concept album. If their next project is called RTJ4 and doesn't have some dramatic changes to their song topics or production, I'm going to be really disappointed.
I'm not sure I like that about the project, but it is different.
I agree with you on the distinction thing too, except that Talk To Me is the only song I ca point out, it's the one with the rolling engine type sound,and they both use the same up and down flow on it.
Glorious track.

I go to Rate Your Music pretty regularly. Their charts are a really nice feature because of how specific they let you get. For example if you want a list of good punk rock albums from the 00s or electronic albums from 1997, they’ve got you covered.

For as great as the site is, over time I’ve learned not to take their ratings or rankings too seriously. Like other sites that amass user scores, the numbers you see tell you as much about their userbase as they do about the art itself. RYM is made up mostly of white guys in their late 20s-early 30s with just a passing interest in rap music. Only 9 of their top 100 overall albums are hip-hop. Their number 1 album of all time is OK Computer. While I think it’s pretty good, I wouldn’t put it near the top 50 (not that I have a list myself). I have a feeling the reason OKC is their number 1 is because it was released at a time when their users were starting to develop their taste in music. They also tend to be biased against music that doesn’t take itself very seriously. Their ratings for trap and pop music are usually much lower than how the general public views those releases. These are people who tend not to listen to music in social settings and have trouble appreciating an album for just being fun.

These are some examples of albums in their all time greatest that I don’t think Gaf-Hop rates highly.
Run the Jewels 1
Licensed to Ill
The Marshall Mathers LP
Hell Hath No Fury
Labor Days

Side note: I’m miffed by the growing segment of Danny Brown’s fanbase that views AE (561 overall on RYM) as his magnum opus instead of XXX (1781 overall).

Yeah no doubt, I do like their charts and it's great to meet people to compare and discuss favorites, but their charts....eh......They absolutely have a bias towards Alternative and Indie Rock.

Koozek

Yeah if you want to pick up on what Ka's doing, you really have to sit and listen. He uses a lot of slang and partial sentences where he twists idioms and proverbs into punchlines and double entendres, sometimes stacked right on top of each other.

But even when you're not in the mood for that, the production and atmosphere is always top notch.
Ka isn't moving too fast or using ridiculous words. Idk how you can't get what he's saying
Don't forget that I'm not a native speaker. As confident as I am in my English at this point, stuff like this or DOOM I'd really have to sit down and listen closely while having RapGenius open. Not necessarily because I can't catch, but rather because I don't understand what is said. Though, yeah, Ka is a lot simpler linguistically than DOOM, but my attention span for Rap lyrics is really short these days, lol. I went from being a super Lyrical Miracle kind of Rap Head to not caring about lyrics at all in the last decade.

LionPride

Banned
Shit I never formally introduced myself

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)- I'm from Memphis so Imma rep them because we matter too
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Conscious I guess
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)- Kendrick, Kanye, OutKast, Mick Jenkins, Pharrell
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)- Michael Jackson, Halestorm, Prince, Frank Ocean, Alabama Shakes
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - Malibu/The Healing Component if ya don't wanna count Malibu
6. What are you listening to right now? – Still of the night(cover) by Halestorm
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - No such thing, I like what I like. No guilt. Haven't listened to a full Tupac album, that's because I've never been a big Tupac guy.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums) Late Registration > Graduation > The Life of Pablo > College Dropout > MBDTF > 808s > Yeezus

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - That I can find a bunch if different things from rap to make me think, to shit that I can party to, to whatever. Missing? Nothing really.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - M-E-T-H-O-D Man
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? - Jay-Z, Neither, Ugly God
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - This Gorillaz joint
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? Andre 3000 and Tupac/Nas
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - Eat
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Avocados
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - i don't listen to trash who ain't made good music since 2002
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - Chvrches, The XX, DNCE, FKA Twigs, or Grimes. FKA Twigs
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... –I'm a dumbass let's leave it at that

Nibel

Lots of new faces 'round here

GAF-Hop revival incoming

new era, new vibes

2017 belongs to us

we will never stop

this ain't a thread, this is a threat

the red names can give us grey names but they can't take our legacy

x0bc2j0wqsm3.jpg

Helmholtz

Lots of new faces 'round here

GAF-Hop revival incoming

new era, new vibes

2017 belongs to us

we will never stop

this ain't a thread, this is a threat

the red names can give us grey names but they can't take our legacy

x0bc2j0wqsm3.jpg
I've actually lurked this thread for some time... I consider it a pretty good source of hiphop news/discussion, especially with people like des contributing who I often find myself agreeing with. I occasionally browse places like ktt or hhh but there are way too many shitheads in those communities.
I think I will try to participate in this thread more though.

Catvoca

Banned
While others are filling one of these out I might as well do the same. I only got into hip-hop maybe 3 or so years ago so I haven't got a super deep knowledge of things, but I lurk this thread a whole bunch.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq/Atlantistan/etc)- I dunno, West I guess.
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) -
Conscious
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five)-
Kendrick, Kanye, Nas, Vince Staples, ATCQ
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five)- Guided By Voices, My Bloody Valentine, The Strokes, Neutral Milk Hotel, Blur
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? -
TLOP, Telefone, Primma Donna and the ATCQ record were my favourites last year.
6. What are you listening to right now? –
RTJ3 and Ka, based on the gaf-hop recommendations
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? -
Don't really have any guilty pleasures. There's a whole bunch of stuff I haven't touched yet. Haven't listened to most 80's stuff..
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
MBDTF > 808's > Yeezus > LR > TLOP > CD > Grad

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - There's a lot of diversity, I dig that. Nothing I can think of.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Ghostface
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Lil' B or Nas Anyone else (correct answer is Lil' B)? -
Nas, Biggie
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - Gorrilaz
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? Jay Z doesn't do much for me.
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - ass eaten
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - onions
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - No, I think his songs sound pretty corny now. Rewatched 8 mile recently and it was ok tho
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - Taylor swift has some good songs. Katy Perry is fine.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... – I did one of those escape room things and it was dope.

While others are filling one of these out I might as well do the same. I only got into hip-hop maybe 3 or so years ago so I haven't got a super deep knowledge of things, but I lurk this thread a whole bunch.

My man. Some good new people recently right Eos? gafhop is about to get a whole lot better
UFxeIAh.png

I just realized that em question, dam you guys stay hating on him lol.

IrishNinja

Imma be honest with you: the chicken scene almost sold me on it. I once played the Yakuza 4 demo yeeears ago, but I didn't like the combat and found the constant "random encounters" on the streets annoying. Might give this one a try someday if it's on sale on Steam.

ah, for real? yeah you can duck some encounters but if you keep at it, there's multiple characters & fighting styles so it doesn't get stale on you
and man i wish the series would hit steam (binary domain found a much better home there than on consoles) but they're still saying it's not happening, series is 10 years deep and not a singe one migrated...i know sony has a deal with em on it, don't know if they care about PC ports with their exclusives or not most times though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom