• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Negator

This really snuck up on me. Hard to believe it's only a week away.

I'm super excited to see what they do with the sequel!

Xenoflare

Couldnt be more hyped, got into the series with xillia and loved every second.

I enjoyed Xillia more than I should haha.

For reference, I played Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS around the same time I played Xillia and decided to call it quits after the first run.

I still haven't finished Versperia, that has more to do with me being too lazy to get out my 360 since I haven't used it much since PS+ two years ago.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Uhhh this game is the $59.99 game in the US, just like it's predecessor.

All the other Tales games launched at full price, except Symphonia HD. European price seems to be a tiny but cheaper than normal, so maybe $50US if you're lucky.

They also price drop/go on sale reasonably quickly. Can always hold off. I bought Symphonia HD at full price, still haven't touched it, now it's on sale for like $10. Graces has gone that cheap and I think Xillia did $20.

Symphonia Chronicles was 40, if I'm correct, but that was an HD Remaster game.

Just checked Amazon, and Xillia 2 seems to be full price.

Ohh hmmmm. Well, I bought Xillia at 39.99 and Graces at 35 or something and Tales of Symphonia HD for like 10, the same with Graces.

Oh well, I haven't actually touched Symphonia HD and Graces at all, so maybe I'll just play these first while waiting for this one to go down in price. The temptation would be very palpable though.... hrmrmrh.

LuuKyK

I am sooooo ready to play this. Feels like forever since I plat Xillia. Enjoyed every minute of it, so I am excited for the sequel as people say it upgraded on many aspects of the first game.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, Xillia sorta lacks in both those areas. Graces has a way better battle system, and much more extra content but some of the characters are lame (the MC, particularly), and the story is a paint by numbers cliche.

Xillia alternatively has way better characters, story and production values, and Xillia 2 improves on a lot of the first game's faults. But you'd want to play them in order.

If your a Tales fan in general, they're all worth playing IMO.

Ha, I probably don't have enough time for both, and I'm fairly neutral about the franchise… Hmm. I should probably start with Graces.

Rpgmonkey

How good are the auxiliary systems in this one?

Xillia's were a step below Graces, but I still found the shop and lillium orb systems quite enjoyable. How fun are the new upgrade systems?

A step closer to Graces than Xillia was, but still not as open to stuff like min-maxing and tinkering.

It's back to traditional leveling, and there's crafting (it works more like Vesperia's crafting), with the skill/arte-learning system being somewhat similar to Graces' Title system, though it's not nearly as expansive and lacks the secondary abilities titles had. Cooking is basically like Xillia, you buy takeout.

There's a relationship system between Ludger and the other characters, but there's not a whole lot to it really and it mainly only benefits one character. The best things are some of the skill books they give Ludger and the second Mystic Artes.

Negator

I looked at a stream for the first hour of the game, and I really hope you guys are ready for more
MUTTON, FRESH MUTTON

Ha, I probably don't have enough time for both, and I'm fairly neutral about the franchise… Hmm. I should probably start with Graces.
Graces has, hands down, the best battle system in the series. Tons of sidequests too.

But as I said before, you might want to beef up your tolerance for anime tropes and dull as dishwater protagonists. Asbel is awful. Malik, Sophie and Pascal are pretty awesome though. The other characters have their ups and downs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Graces has, hands down, the best battle system in the series. Tons of sidequests too.

But as I said before, you might want to beef up your tolerance for anime tropes and dull as dishrag protagonists. Asbel is awful. Malik, Sophie and Pascal are pretty awesome though. The other characters have their ups and downs.

If I can tolerate Luke--both versions of Luke since they are equally annoying... no wait, the latter version even more so--and Jude, I can take on anything.

Makes me want to fire up and start Graces F tonight... might as well do that.

aravuus

Loved Xillia 1, can't wait to play this! The fact that US gets this a couple of days earlier than Europe is annoying as hell as always, but nonetheless I'm really hyped

Pejo

Oh crap, this game is coming out soon. I still have yet to even start Xillia 1. Ah well, I'll still go preorder this just to show support for Tales games coming West.

Without knowing anything about this game or the first one, I'll say after just glancing at the character art, I like that this game has more mature looking characters, and I like the MC's design too.

If I can tolerate Luke--both versions of Luke since they are equally annoying... no wait, the latter version even more so--and Jude, I can take on anything.

Luke and Jude are also pretty lame, but in a different way.

Asbel doesn't really do anything super offensive, but he's so bland, that I'm pretty sure he's secretly just a cardboard cut-out brought to life by friendship.

Xenoflare

Oh crap, this game is coming out soon. I still have yet to even start Xillia 1. Ah well, I'll still go preorder this just to show support for Tales games coming West.

Without knowing anything about this game or the first one, I'll say after just glancing at the character art, I like that this game has more mature looking characters, and I like the MC's design too.

I like the "urbanization" of the characters. Their wardrobe is a tad more modern this time around.

Xenoflare

Asbel doesn't really do anything super offensive, but he's so bland, that I'm pretty sure he's secretly just a cardboard cut-out brought to life by friendship.

I have to say that Jude is the least offensive protag to me for Tales.

He's bland sure, but he's not as dumb (excuse me) as the rest.

We always have Yuri as the odd one out since I really liked him, and he's got character.

demidar

I'm sure it does. Although the character roster is not as expansive as graces f.

Well it's better than nothing. Thanks for answering.

I think it's plausible that Asbel is a Friendship Golem or Friendship Elemental.

ZeroX03

Banned

Graces f is my favorite. Do it.

Xillia 2 will go on sale by the end of the year.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Jude is much better in this game than the first imo. That's just me. I think the best character in the game is hands down Julius.

360pages

Jude could be replaced with a floating orb with fist that follows Milla around and you got 70% of his character. If they weren't going to do the romance thing, they might as well just have them be good friends and actually have Jude focus on his studies and what not. Instead we have most of his dialog praising Milla in some way.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Jude could be replaced with a floating orb with fist that follows Milla around and you got 70% of his character. If they weren't going to do the romance thing, they might as well just have them be good friends and actually have Jude focus on his studies and what not. Instead we have most of his dialog praising Milla in some way.

The problem was that Milla was supposed to act as a role model to Jude but it wasn't portrayed in a good manner. The contrast of Gaius and Jude was much better. I think the game would've been much more interesting if Jude was more like Gaius and they vastly differed in their stance resulting in diverging campaign narratives. Sadly, they're not bold enough to do shit like that.

Well, I just pre-ordered the CE from the US, because I'm weak and dumb.

If it pops up in Canada, I'll cancel my order and switch, or if we get confirmation of the DLC being included with the standard edition.

My wallet feels used and abused.

So excited for this Xillia 2, I really love the first one (and all of the previous Tales games lol). I have the CE on pre order too. That Ludgar figure will look nice on my desk!

I'll be picking this up after I finish my current Tales of Symphonia playthrough.

I enjoyed the original for what it was, but it still left a weird "meh" aftertaste ala Graces and Vesperia. The silent protagonist and short length isn't exactly filling me with hope, but I'll still give it a chance.

Also, er, what exactly is the OP referring to by Millia's sacrifice? There was
her false death in Jude's playthrough, but she was still hanging around at the ending.

Xenoflare

I'll be picking this up after I finish my current Tales of Symphonia playthrough.

I enjoyed the original for what it was, but it still left a weird "meh" aftertaste ala Graces and Vesperia. The silent protagonist and short length isn't exactly filling me with hope, but I'll still give it a chance.

Also, er, what exactly is the OP referring to by Millia's sacrifice? There was
her false death in Jude's playthrough, but she was still hanging around at the ending.

She gave up on her life as a human and became the true Maxwell, she became a spirit.

ivysaur12

Banned

But as I said before, you might want to beef up your tolerance for anime tropes and dull as dishwater protagonists. Asbel is awful. Malik, Sophie and Pascal are pretty awesome though. The other characters have their ups and downs.

I've played enough jRPGs where actually have a good story and characters is more of a cherry on top. Most are pretty silly. I'm used to that by now.

I've played enough jRPGs where actually have a good story and characters is more of a cherry on top. Most are pretty silly. I'm used to that by now.
Well then, you'll have no problem. Personally, I think some people exaggerate a bit when complaining about Graces' storyline and characters. The story isn't good by any means, but I don't think it's egregiously awful or anything, especially if you are used to cliche JRPG stories. And there are some cool characters in there, and the skits are generally pretty humorous.

The battle system is really top notch too. It's very satisfying.

zulux21

Hmmmm things to do this week.
1. Finish xillia 1
2. Decide if I want to keep my $110 LE preorder of xillia 2.

the pictures do look nice though o.o;

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Graces has insufferably bad characters/plot to me, where it constantly took me out of the game and dragged it down. Dungeons are crap too.

I really, really, really dislike that game, lol.

I've platinumed both Graces F and Xillia yet somehow I'm not feeling all that hyped for Xillia 2. Had no intentions on buying it actually..is it that much better than the first one?

Top Bottom