• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games best pulled the "location from an older game" nostalgia trip? (Spoilers)

CookTrain

For me, I really got a kick out of
Dark Souls 3
taking you back to
Anor Londo
. Seeing the area almost perfectly enhanced from the original was a beautiful rollercoaster and with playing the game before the news cycle got a hold of it... it literally came out of the blue.

XQKk6fT.jpg

I know it'll make the thread a nightmare to read, but try not to be too egregious with open spoilers. A lot of these are so good just because they're unexpected.

Ds3 Anor Londo is a great example because of the way you came up from behind, too. I remember thinking, "wait, is this...? I think this is...?" and then the title card popping up at the exact moment. Great stuff.

I nominate the return to the Ishimura in Dead Space 2.

Thud

It's in the same country, but going back to Rolent in Trails in the Sky is always best. The town has a very nostalgic vibe going on in the first place and you have all these NPC's looking out for you.

Platy

Does uncharted minigame count ? =P

My picks are for mario games because they were not so easily spoiled for me...

Super Paper Mario with
THE level 1-1
, specialy HOW

And Trowback Galaxy in Mario Galaxy 2

I know what this is but other than the constant overuse of out of content acronyms on GAF my second biggest pet peeve is this. When someone lays a picture as an example and assumes everyone knows where it's from and provides zero context.

Sure this is Metroid but I've seen ppl do it with very obscure games and it's frustrating.

EDIT: just saw you provided context as en edit. My point still stands about it being a pet peeve when other do it.

I know what this is but other than the constant overuse of out of content acronyms on GAF my second biggest pet peeve is this. When someone lays a picture as an example and assumes everyone knows where it's from and provides zero context.

Sure this is Metroid but I've seen ppl do it with very obscure games and it's frustrating.

I added the link to help people who wouldn't know. It annoys me too lol

marumariball

Neo Member
SotN visiting Rondo's last battle.

Not only a revisit of the final map, but technically a revisit of the last two stages in Dracula's Castle from Rondo of Blood. They basically reimagined the levels completely, even down to the same secrets in the walls for the most part and dead ringer room layouts.

VNdGkoA.png

7-clocktower.png

Gravity Rush 2 spoilers

I was absolutely thrilled when you get to go back to Hekseville. The first time you wake up there and the theme for the area started playing... man.

CHC

Dead Space 2 was incredibly chilling.

When you see that they're just cleaning up the entire set of the first game to actually put it back into service
. NOPE

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Since all the classics have been listed I'll go with something new

Bayonetta 2. Revisiting that one boss fight from 1 was a blast from the past. It was like look how far we've come in these 5 years.

lazygecko

Wonder Boy 3 starts off in the last castle from Monster Land, complete with an endless wrapping maze unless you take the right path.

Fallout 2 has a couple of locations from Fallout 1, like the NCR capital which was the Shady Sands village, Vault 13 and 15, and probably a few others.

Also it it just me, or is Blizzard Buffalo's stage in Mega Man X3 supposed to be a frozen over version of the highway opening stage from X1?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tourian-thumb.jpg

Dancing on the Corpse of the Mother Brain has a bunch of examples. Full disclosure, I wrote it a thousand years ago.
This is the best example I can think of. I can't think of any game that did it earlier (revisiting locations in earlier Castlevanias maybe?). I think it was a really novel idea at the time to revisit areas from Metroid 1.

I can think of one revisiting location that did capture my imagination: the sunken ship in Super Mario World was supposedly a crashed airship from Super Mario Bros 3. It says so in the SMW manual. But unfortunately that didn't really borrow any specific ship design so it feels like a connection in name only.

IMG_4002.jpg

Griss

Surprised no one has mentioned Breath of the Wild yet.

One of my very first experiences with the game was encountering the
ruins of Lon Lon Ranch,
and it was a surprisingly emotional moment. The game has multiple callbacks like that on its map.

MGS4, Pokemon Silver and Super Metroid are also good calls. Also
Bioshock Infinite

Going back to Masyaf (AC1) in Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Especially when you consider the opening trailer- Ezio doing the eagle dive from the same point as Altair. It's the first eagle dive of the series.

I enjoyed getting 2/3 of the way through Borderlands 2 and finding myself in the starting bus-stop/Firestone level of BL1.

Pre-sequel did it also with Overlook in the Claptrap DLC.

Ds3 Anor Londo is a great example because of the way you came up from behind, too. I remember thinking, "wait, is this...? I think this is...?" and then the title card popping up at the exact moment. Great stuff.

I nominate the return to the Ishimura in Dead Space 2.

Eh, the fact that they used it in the very next game lessened the impact for me. They should have at least waited until DS3 or even later.

mclem

Monkey Island 1:
tsbZ51X.png

Monkey Island 2:
CKIet6T.gif

Ultima 1:
FY01zsY.gif

Ultima Underworld 2:

(Technically that's more a stylistic thing - you're going through a surreal environment at the time - but it's very definitely an Ultima 1 reference as well.

Same location also includes random Q*Bert:

Bayonetta 2's return to Vigrid from 1...I swear it showed up in my 1st time playthrough just after I thought to myself, "Hmmm...it's not like Vigrid from Bayonetta 1 got destroyed...I wonder if it'd be possible to re visit it?" Sure enough, to my surprise, the game did pull it off, and did a great job imo. A fantastic remix of a certain ambient music from one of the sections of Vigrid in the first game plays in the areas that were ripped word-for-word from the 1st game that show up again in the 2nd, and all-new music in the new areas in Vigrid exclusive to 2 IIRC...they did an overall great job of expanding Vigrid from the 1st game naturally imo...the whole Vigrid re-visit in 2 is one of the few things I enjoyed about that game tbh

Banjo-Tooie begins where Banjo-Kazooie began, in Spiral Mountain.

tumblr_m0e7e90ECF1qg57wfo1_500.jpg

jSkv80w.png

Of course, SM is now in complete ruins in BT, due to Gruntilda and her sisters tearing through everything with the HAG 1.

It's really cool how it actually completely replicates the layout of SM from BK, but man is it actually pretty depressing to walk through, considering how lively and jolly the place used to be.

And then you step into Banjo's house where everything is eradicated. That music....

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
In Dragon Quest III you revisit the continent from the first game. All leading into Erdrick's legend.

YaBish

Not a good example, but one series that actually really disappointed me in this regard was Batman Arkham Knight. They bring you back to
the asylum
, but you don't actually get to play in the area really. Such a letdown considering I figured it would've tied everything up nicely to have a final boss fight in
the asylum

Venture

Returning to cities and locations in the Elder Scrolls games that were established way back in the first game, Arena, is pretty neat. Like Labyrinthian in Skyrim.

Top Bottom