• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games best pulled the "location from an older game" nostalgia trip? (Spoilers)

MCD250

Don't you revisit areas from Resident Evil 2 in RE3?
There's a section of the game near the beginning that takes place in the same police station.

Honestly though, that always felt more weird than anything else, because in the story this part of RE3 actually happens a day before RE2, yet none of what you do in the police station in RE3 is reflected in RE2 (the reason for this, that RE2 was made and released before RE3, should be obvious, but still). That coupled with the fact that RE3 came out only about a year after RE2 means it wasn't quite a "nostalgia" trip, because RE2 was still very fresh in people's minds. It felt more like...asset reuse, basically.

Thorzilla

On mobile right now and can't post pics but man, Guild Wars 2 ticked the right buttons. Dat Jeremy Soule music man...stabs right through the heart.

Siege.exe

The Land of Departure in Birth by Sleep
transforming into Castle Oblivion
hit me pretty hard the first time I saw it.

zeemumu

I hadn't played MGS1 at the time so MGS4's thing was mostly wasted on me even though I knew that the location was from MGS1

God of War 2 did a cool one where you go back to the final boss battle from God of War 1 and have your own boss battle while that boss battle is going on in the background.

But i'll probably have to go with the others and say Dark Souls 3 returning to
Anor Londo

xuchu

Has to be MGS4's act 4.

giphy.gif

Byvar

Suikoden II did it really great (probably not the best though). The sidequest you get when importing data from the first game is superb, and to say you simply revisit an old location only scratches the surface of what the sidequest adds to the game.
The hero from the first game, Tir McDohl, joins your party and together, you cross the border to the Toran republic, where the first game took place. You can explore the main town, Gregminster, and its castle, both with updated music and graphics. You get to stay at McDohl's house where you get extra scenes of Suiko2 characters interacting with the first game's characters. Later, you can visit and put McDohl in your party whenever you want.

Kamurocho in Yakuza games. It's such a small but dense open world that it feels very familiar and cozy.

It's really awesome to see it change over time.

Exploring the crime ridden park in the first game, construction starting in that lot during the next game, and then fighting it out in the highrise a few games later.
Really cool stuff not seen in many other games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I loved the part in Ar nosurge when Delta and Cass go to
Ar Tonelico and meet up with a young Shurelia. FEELS!

Mephala

Gravity Rush 2 spoilers

I was absolutely thrilled when you get to go back to Hekseville. The first time you wake up there and the theme for the area started playing... man.

YES! It hit like a truck, the best kind of truck! I actually like the place better too, more fun to explore and seeing the pink gems everywhere again.... My god.

Also, strike 2 when
the new areas are brought over and you can fly freely between both worlds.
So damn good.

Brofield

I'm surprised Pikmin 2 hasn't been mentioned yet. It's more of an Easter Egg, but if you played the first game, you realize the last area seems to combine and even connect The Impact Site and Emperor Bulblax zone.

In fact, here are the areas from Pikmin superimposed overtop Pikmin 2's Wistful Wild.

latest

I guess you could say it made me fairly...wistful.

linko9

Pokemon GS is a great answer. I actually really disliked the sequence in MGS4; just reminded me how much better MGS1 was than this garbage, and that the series had abandoned almost everything that made it great. And of course you hardly do anything in that sequence. I also remember being really disappointed in Golden Sun 2, where you can actually get into the continents from the first game, but there's nothing there.

mrmickfran

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney pulls this in the final case.

You're now playing as Phoenix Wright and the game goes back to the less detailed courtroom and used the sprites of the older games and plays music from the first game.

And
Gumshoe
is back ;_;

Muffdraul

Not really a nostalgia trip per se, but the first thing that came to mind was going back to
the Ishimura
in Dead Space 2. It was only a couple years worth of "nostalgia" value, but I've never had a bigger reaction to revisiting a past setting. My palms got sweaty and I swear to god I legit went *gulp*. I was on pins and needles the whole time.
And then they keep you on the hook for what feels like hours, so when they finally, mercifully start throwing necromorphs at you it's like this weird... anti-orgasm. Or something.

Mael

the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle games were full of that.
River Belle path is the 1st level of the GC game AND the last bonus level from the DS games

The Kilanda volcano is in both the Rings of fate and the 1st GC game although it's more of an easter egg than River Belle path which is really similar.

Pokemon GS is a great answer. I actually really disliked the sequence in MGS4; just reminded me how much better MGS1 was than this garbage, and that the series had abandoned almost everything that made it great. And of course you hardly do anything in that sequence. I also remember being really disappointed in Golden Sun 2, where you can actually get into the continents from the first game, but there's nothing there.

You mean the DS game right?
Because in Lost Age you can only glitch into the map of Golden Sun and there's of course nothing there because the code for these area is in the 1st game after all.

Keinning

starting banjo-tooie with the destroyed spiral mountain and boggles dying was a punch in the gut. it had the cheeriest music ever in BK and then it became so sinister

but returning to kanto still wins in my opinion

Joeku

Not really a nostalgia trip per se, but the first thing that came to mind was going back to
the Ishimura
in Dead Space 2. It was only a couple years worth of "nostalgia" value, but I've never had a bigger reaction to revisiting a past setting. My palms got sweaty and I swear to god I legit went *gulp*. I was on pins and needles the whole time.
And then they keep you on the hook for what feels like hours, so when they finally, mercifully start throwing necromorphs at you it's like this weird... anti-orgasm. Or something.

That's why it's really good, it's not nostalgia per se. It's playing your expectations of what you did in the first game and the memories of it, then mashes it with heretofore not experienced tension in the second game. You stop and wonder stuff like"...was it that vent the first time?" or "did it come from around this corner before?" for an agonizingly long time. Finally getting attacked was a release from that.

linko9

You mean the DS game right?
Because in Lost Age you can only glitch into the map of Golden Sun and there's of course nothing there because the code for these area is in the 1st game after all.

DS game was much more egregious, but that whole game was trash. In 2, I know they didn't intend for you to go there, but I kept expecting throughout the game that you'd be able to get to those continents again; hence my disappointment. Game was still great though.

Kamurocho in Yakuza games. It's such a small but dense open world that it feels very familiar and cozy.

I've beaten 4 Yakuza games and am currently playing through Zero and I still love Kamurocho. I know it like the back of my hand now. When they tell me to go to the champion district or Theater square I know exactly how to get there without looking at the map.

El Odio

Banned
Tropical Freeze does this the best for me, hands down. The final world of the game takes place on DK Island with each level representing AN ENTIRE WORLD from the first game, incorporating a lot of callbacks to the themes and mechanics of the previous game, all in a single level.
island_island.jpg

1769c86ac9f2b0e104c7bb19e3a94f0a--tropical-freeze-donkey-kong-country.jpg

WatTsu

It's been said in this thread a few times but
in Bioshock Infinite, the return to Rapture made me whoop with glee.

Except...
all that goodwill was squandered by Burial at Sea.

Vibranium

Banned
Resident Evil 3 and 0 definitely come to mind. I would love to see Jill's burning apartment appear in RE2make and other nods to Nemesis like the U.S.S.

In the Witcher 3,
revisiting Kaer Morhen
is downright magical. The layout is exactly the same as it was in the first game, an incredible accomplishment considering the generational gap between appearances (and also the move to open world!). The area plays a song deeply inspired by the first game, too, which is a great touch.

Witcher 3 has many more references, but that one is hands-down the one that blew me away the most.

The Walking Dead, Season 2:
the flashback/dream of a conversation with Lee in the RV from season 1, in the final episode.
I thought it was one of the strongest scenes across both season 1 and 2.

Also, +1 to returning to Tristram i Diablo II. An unforgettable moment if you had played the first game.

Top Bottom