• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games best pulled the "location from an older game" nostalgia trip? (Spoilers)

Space Quest 4's sequence was incredibly clever for the time:
608_4.gif

That look is SO nostalgic.

Also it it just me, or is Blizzard Buffalo's stage in Mega Man X3 supposed to be a frozen over version of the highway opening stage from X1?

I thought about this one as well...the in-game assets of both levels do look eerily similar to eachother...since there's no official source saying otherwise, I do like to imagine both stages are indeed the same level haha

daTRUballin

Throwback Galaxy in Mario Galaxy 2.

The nostalgia was strong there.

Came to post this.

Banjo-Tooie begins where Banjo-Kazooie began, in Spiral Mountain.

tumblr_m0e7e90ECF1qg57wfo1_500.jpg

jSkv80w.png

Of course, SM is now in complete ruins in BT, due to Gruntilda and her sisters tearing through everything with the HAG 1.

It's really cool how it actually completely replicates the layout of SM from BK, but man is it actually pretty depressing to walk through, considering how lively and jolly the place used to be.

And then you step into Banjo's house where everything is eradicated. That music....

Yeah, seeing Spiral Mountain in ruins was pretty depressing in Tooie when I first played the game.

I would also say Spiral Mountain in Nuts & Bolts nailed that nostalgic feeling as well. Although it just wasn't the same without being able to go inside Grunty's lair. The top of the lair was also a lot smaller than it actually was at the end of BK1 which was kinda disappointing. At least you could get out of your vehicle and explore on foot like the old games. It was A LOT bigger in N&B. It was really jarring to see how small Banjo looked while in SM lol.

Phu

Banned
Getting to visit
Kaine's home
in Nier: Automata was a pretty great moment and a nice reward for a quest. Certainly got a reaction out of me.

Solstheim in Skyrim. It doesn't look quite the same as it did in Bloodmoon, but the music makes it a complete nostalgia trip. There's also the neat Telvanni 'overgrown mushroom' architecture.

DylanEno

These lists are incredible. Really goes to show how valuable throwbacks can be when implemented well. If I had to rank a top 5...

1. Pokémon GSC Returning to Kanto. Nothing comes close. The impact of everything this offers is on another level. I don't think anything else will ever come close,

2. MGS4. Shadow Moses. I don't even really have that much nostalgia for this series, but there's no denying how incredible the fan service is for this sequence. And that Metal Gear battle at the end? Holy fuck.

3. Dead Space 2 Returning to the Ishimura. The most tense, undeniably terrifying and anxiety-ridden sequence I've ever encountered in a video game. This is the absolute perfect representation of that series. RIP.

4. Gravity Rush 2 - Waking Up in Hekseville. I had zero expectations when it came to revisiting the original game's setting and getting to explore it not on a limited scale as in Pokémon GSC's Kanto was INSANE. With PS4 graphics and the game's new physics? Beautiful.

5. Super Mario Galaxy's Throwback Galaxy. I had this spoiled which kind of ruined the impact for me, but it was still super amazing. That music omg

Bakercat

Before I played the Metal Gear series and loved the callback to one with four, my favorite callback was in Fable two with Oakvale.

Fable one Oakvale:

Oakvale_02.jpg

Fable two Oakvale:

Alex

For actual direct usage Chrono Cross: Leene's Bell.

For reinterpretation Final Fantasy XIV: The Floating Continent & Warring Triad, Doma

mclem

Oh, just thought of one that I should have come up with ages ago:

For the last world of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, the last world is the Kongs finally getting back to Kong Island - and so each level within that world is inspired by and contains lots of references to each of the worlds in Donkey Kong Country Returns, albeit frozen over.

Not only a revisit of the final map, but technically a revisit of the last two stages in Dracula's Castle from Rondo of Blood. They basically reimagined the levels completely, even down to the same secrets in the walls for the most part and dead ringer room layouts.

VNdGkoA.png

7-clocktower.png

I can't believe I never noticed this. They even put the same Sword Lords in the same locations! The walls are a really nice detail along with the pointing statues. The red bricks in the background are there too.

JustinT

Neo Member
Returning to Liberty City in GTA: San Andreas was pretty cool at the time.

But yeah, the Ishimura in Dead Space 2 was a high point in that game.

ReyVGM

In Zelda 2 you can explore a miniature version of the Zelda 1 map.

In Breath of the Wild you explore the ruins of Lon Lon Ranch.

Grisby

MGS4 and going back to 1.
This is a good first post.
Dead Space 2 was incredibly chilling.

When you see that they're just cleaning up the entire set of the first game to actually put it back into service
. NOPE
But this was the one I thought of. Very impactful. The first game and that area left such an impression on me that going back to it, despite the shit I had already gone through in the sequel, filled me with dread.

This is one of the reason's I feel the sequel is better, which is funny considering the area wouldn't exist without the first game. Crazy to think but I feel like I could feel Issac freaking out because I kind of was.

ReyVGM

Don't you revisit areas from Resident Evil 2 in RE3?

I believe one of the Wii Umbrella Chronicles games lets you visit the mansion from RE1 too.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think the most 'impactful' is probably seeing the Ishimura again in DS2.

Isaac's just like 'heeeeeeeeeell no' when that happens. Plus you get to bring your upgraded combat focus back into the Ishimura and wreck necros.

The biggest 'callback' is a tougher call - Shadow Moses in MGS4, Kanto in Gold/Silver, or Super Metroid's MB area are all candidates.

I was originally shocked no one mentioned FFXIV, but then I wasn't because it references FFIII, which is a more obscure entry in the series.

Crystal Tower (FFIII):
ffxiv-crystal-tower-splash.jpg
3bf319a07aae8092c72573bed94b75add06ab2b1_0.png

Theres a few more places, in more obscure numbered Final Fantasy games. But there's also Return to Ivalice coming soon, so that will be a nice throwback to XII or Tactics depending on what the devs do.

Probably not a popular choice, but reassaulting the control room at the end of Halo 3. One of the few Flood levels I don't hate.

Dragon Quest 3 for me, when I went down to the second continent I was thinking this looked mighty familiar until it hit me, its one of the reason for DQ3 is still my favourite in the series.

For a less common answer and also one that goes for a slightly different angle, Fable II's Wraithmarsh features the starting town from the original game, all in ruins and cursed. Seeing the "Oakvale" sign at the entrance was so surprising, I remember.

I played mgs4 last year. So its been 20 years since i played mgs1. So when i went back to that place i had tears in my eyes. Best moment in video games history.

TheXbox

MGS4 is the winner, but I love how the last level of Halo 3 is a loose recreation of Assault on the Control Room.

Sciz

I enjoyed getting 2/3 of the way through Borderlands 2 and finding myself in the starting bus-stop/Firestone level of BL1.

Shout outs to this one, yeah. It sneaks up on you, if you aren't paying attention. The area as a whole is named the Arid Nexus, instead of the original Arid Badlands, they send you into the map from the opposite direction you explored it from in BL1, and the whole place has been overrun by new Hyperion construction and purple goop, changing its visual profile considerably. I had the worst nagging sensation of deja vu for a while until all the pieces finally clicked into place and my jaw dropped.

I think in Kirby's Adventure (NES), you visit the first level from Kirby 1.

It's a mashup of the entirety of DL1, down to the monochrome palette. Only place in the game that Green Greens plays, too.

Top Bottom