• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Bronx-Man

Banned
Funny that GotG2s villain was an absolute waste
should have went with Jason instead of Ego
, and still managed to have more depth than every other MCU villain bar Loki
🎵And the sailor said Brandy, you're a fine girl
(you're a fine girl)

What a goooooooood wife you would be
(such a fine girl)
🎵

SpaceWolf

Banned
The wirework and campy action scenes in Spider-Man are part of the charm for me. This is SAM RAIMI we're talking about. Give him today's tech and a 500 million dollar budget and you'd get the exact same type of action with the exact same wirework.

Practical film-making is a wonderful thing that should always be treasured, but it should always be done with a degree of grace so as not to become distracting in and of itself to the audience. That's why Spiderman 2 excels so much better at the action stuff for me, because at that point Raimi had gained more experience when it came to tackling the big-budget, superhero action set-pieces and was much more prepared to handle them from almost every practical standpoint.

And so the more practical scenes for the sequel worked so much better as a result!

I am the Hitmaker also how dare you use that man against me
tumblr_mdk3mqOmIV1rwmt0vo1_250.gif

Come get some.

MisterHero

Something similar happened with Spider-Man 3

spiderman356k.gif
I hate this GIF, but Spidey 3 literally does that by retconning Uncle Ben's murder

I guess we could do worse

like having Peter learn responsibility from a guy who almost blew up the Earth with a robot of his own creation

I hate this GIF, but Spidey 3 literally does that by retconning Uncle Ben's murder

I guess we could do worse

like having Peter learn responsibility from a guy who almost blew up the Earth with a robot of his own creation
He does say he wants Spidey to be better than him

Although "not creating a genocidal self replicating insanely intelligent AI robot army" leaves a big scope for "better"

SpaceWolf

Banned
I need to know if Marvel have made any further strides with their infamous "villain" problem with Keaton in this, or if the progress they made in Guardians 2 was simply an anomaly.

PR_rambo

Banned
Raimi moves have not aged that well, not even my nostalgia glasses can convince me otherwise.
The only thing ASM had going for it were the special effects, very excited to see a Spidey Movie that has it all

Kieli

I never pay attention to reviews. It's always word of mouth and settings expectations at a realistic level.

Raimi moves have not aged that well, not even my nostalgia glasses can convince me otherwise.
The only thing ASM had going for it were the special effects, very excited to see a Spidey Movie that has it all
I mean Spiderman 2 is great. Great music, story, villain, plot.

But the character of Spider-Man is a shit.

That's basically how I felt on rewatch. I used to like the movies way more but they don't hold up for me. I feel like there's is some nostalgia speaking when people compare it to those especially because a lot remember what the movies meant for comic book movies at the time. It was an amazing achievement but dunno as a casual watcher today I have a far better time with even the amazing spiderman 1 and it just boils down to cringing less. Especially everything peter/MJ in the first two is kinda unenjoyable to me.

That said I won't expect anything amazing out of homecoming just at base an enjoyable flick ala antman. Being a casual movie watcher expectations seem to influence my enjoyment a lot. The impression for guardians 2 were so lukewarm at the time hammering not as good as the first one and in the end after watching it twice I think I enjoy it more than the first one tbh.

I also feel that the original films haven't aged well, and may not have been that great at the time either aside from that as far as superhero films go it was the best out there.

Tobey's Parker was a bit too dweeby and socially inept, and trying to play off as a high school graduate was ridiculous. Actually, maybe my issues are solely on Peter Parker in both films (never saw 3), as aside from some sketchy action the rest of the films are at least ok.

ASM films I thought nailed Peter (and in some ways Spiderman) better, but outside of Gwen the rest of the content was really bad. Especially when it came to the villains, who are sort of the lifeblood of Spiderman.

Edit: I'll have to watch Spiderman 2 again, but the music number (Raindrops, right?) was...bad, and quite nearly ruined the film for me. I get it. But it just didn't work for me and didn't fit the rest of the film.

JayCB

People concentrating on that one tweet that says third best when there are others that say THE best. C'mon son.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How is SM2 a terrible Spiderman, if by nuanced with incredible, laser-point development sure he's the worst

it is written consistently, and tobey plays the part and makes choices

i dont like the chocies they made for the character, even if they were executed well

eizarus

Banned
How is SM2 a terrible Spiderman, if by nuanced with incredible, laser-point development sure he's the worst
Peter Parker in the comics isn't much like Raimi's Parker. The ASM Parker is a much better fit. But those movies as a whole turned out worse.
I liked ASM1

SpaceWolf

Banned
just because some people badmouth spidey 2 doesn't mean we have to go crazy hyperbole into the other direction

christ

He's not wrong, though.

Five prominent characters in that movie (Peter, Mary-Jane, Harry, Aunt May and Doc Ock), and all five of them get consistent, well written story arcs that reach satisfying and natural conclusions.

It's an extremely well developed superhero film with extremely well developed characters.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's odd, considering the choices he makes come right out of the comics.
I can respect this opinion, even if it might clash with my personal perspective.

This, however...

i think he leans a little hard into this uncomfortable lack of self surity that peter doesnt really have in the comics i prefer.

he is often put upon and they did a good job with that but there was something else there that really rubs me the wrong way

He's not wrong, though.

Five prominent characters in that movie (Peter, Mary-Jane, Harry, Aunt May and Doc Ock), and all five of them get consistent, well written story arcs that reach satisfying and natural conclusions.

It's an extremely well developed superhero film with extremely well developed characters.

yeah, each character is handled extremely well

just because some people badmouth spidey 2 doesn't mean we have to go crazy hyperbole into the other direction

christ

I don't think it's​ hyperbole, his character is written super well and the screenplay is paced and developed perfectly. There's hardly any downtime in it and everything feels incredibly focused. Basically every scene and beat works organically with the next, and the story overall. If there's something I'm wrong about in that department, let me know and we'll talk. Find anything in the film or character development that feels pointless or wasted.

I'm not calling it a perfect movie by saying that. Just that I think the character development works point by point with everything in the story. It feels meticulous, focused as hell.

Top Bottom