• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PC Performance Thread

ISee

Thx for the testing! What are your GPU / settings here that you are CPU limited in that scene in tw3?

i5 3570k @4.2ghz
970 @ 1400mhz
16gb RAM (DDR3 xxx)
SSD 256gb - Samsung 830 series
Win10 64bit

Witcher 3: 1080p unlimited FPS, vsync off. Everything maxed out, but Hairworks (=off).
CPU load is at around 83-85% on all 4 cores.

i5 3570k @4.2ghz
970 @ 1400mhz
16gb RAM (DDR3 xxx)
SSD 256gb - Samsung 830 series
Win10 64bit

Witcher 3: 1080p unlimited FPS, vsync off. Everything maxed out, but Hairworks (=off).
CPU load is at around 83-85% on all 4 cores.
Thx!
This makes me wonder how big of a deal this is for trippple and quad channel set ups.

ISee

Thx!
This makes me wonder how big of a deal this is for trippple and quad channel set ups.

Yeah me too, as I am thinking about buying a Broadwell-E (6 or 8 cores) next fall/winter (if already available etc.). But so long my trusted and beloved i5 Haswell has to do the best he can.

SpyGuy239

i7860 Vanilla, 8gb rm at 1600mHz, MSI 780 OC, Windows 7.

All Ultra with TAA @1080p 60fps.

Question is TAA or FXAA? I can't decide. Opinions?

Thought so too for a very long time. But faster ram seems to make a difference in, at least, some games.

Just watch the whole Digital Foundry Video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-7bfPG2dE

There were also some interesting RAM Benchmarks for FO4.

fo4_ram_test-635x357fljbk.jpg

^^. Very sadly you need to redo this every time you close origin or shut down your PC.
Does anyone know where that fallout 4 ram bench is from?

I played the beta on medium settings with my old PC, my new one is better, but does anyone think I can get a steady 60FPS at 1080p on these specs?

Windows 7 - 64 bit
i5-4460
GTX 970
8GB RAM
3.20GHz CPU

This game is the most beautiful game I've seen in a long long time.

It is also running incredibly well.

My Specs and settings:

i5 3570K @ 4.4
970 OC
8GB

all settings on ultra @ 1080P
game DSR 115%

the game hovers between 90~100fps all the time.

I guess I still have room to crank the DSR up a little, although is already looking fantastic.

Yeah me too, as I am thinking about buying a Broadwell-E (6 or 8 cores) next fall/winter (if already available etc.). But so long my trusted and beloved i5 Haswell has to do the best he can.

That is the plan for me on my aging i7 930. Even @ 4.2 Ghz I can feel the CPU strain in a number of games these days.

Delt31

This game is the most beautiful game I've seen in a long long time.

It is also running incredibly well.

My Specs and settings:

i5 3570K @ 4.4
970 OC
8GB

all settings on ultra @ 1080P
game DSR 115%

the game hovers between 90~100fps all the time.

I guess I still have room to crank the DSR up a little, although is already looking fantastic.

Noticed you have 8gb Ram (not the recommended 16gb) - seems like you're still killing it though. No stutter? I just want 1080p ultra 60fps and I have the same setup as you except 980.

Noticed you have 8gb Ram (not the recommended 16gb) - seems like you're still killing it though. No stutter? I just want 1080p ultra 60fps and I have the same setup as you except 980.
Yeah, the game defaulted to high instead of ultra, I cranked everything to max, restarted and and performance was still stellar, heck I am even down sapling in game at 115%.
No sutter, although I am playing on a 500GB SSD.

You should be able to crank DSR even more with all settings maxed-out.

Let me know.

Delt31

Yeah, the game defaulted to high instead of ultra, I cranked everything to max, restarted and and performance was still stellar, heck I am even down sapling in game at 115%.
No sutter, although I am playing on a 500GB SSD.

You should be able to crank DSR even more with all settings maxed-out.

Let me know.

OK - no SSD for me just normal HD. Wonder if that will hit performance although would more RAM compensate for SSD vs HD? No right?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Anyone try this on a laptop yet? I downloaded the beta but I got hit with the weird bug where I couldn't push anything in the main menu. By the time I figure out how to fix it the beta had ended and I was never able to give it a shot.

Kezen

Banned
well I want the smoothest experience. Seems like the other guys is getting super smooth with just 8. hmmmmm

Ultra smooth > super smooth.

16gb will bring tangible benefits, but 8 should be fine.

If you want the best experience you should not be surprised by the 16gb recommendation, the beginning of a trend for sure.

No idea if the game will run measurably better on an SSD vs HDD. Assuming the HDD is 7200RPM it should be fine still.

Siphorus

i7 6700k at 4ghz (stock)
16gb DDR4
GTX 970 SC
Running the game on a SSD at 1440p and getting a solid ~70fps on ultra (I prefer FXAA over TAA) and 105% resolution scaling. Runs really well, although I do wish there was a performance increasing driver so that I could do more resolution scaling.

Delt31

Ultra smooth > super smooth.

16gb will bring tangible benefits, but 8 should be fine.

If you want the best experience you should not be surprised by the 16gb recommendation, the beginning of a trend for sure.

No idea if the game will run measurably better on an SSD vs HDD. Assuming the HDD is 7200RPM it should be fine still.

thanks. DDR3 memory 2400 still OK or do I need to go DDR4?

Delt31

Your CPU does not support DDR4. Honestly, you should run the game well with your setup but I won't promise you a completely stutter-less experience.

haha - totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder! For $70, I'm going for it. To your point, if not this game, something down the road and 70 isn't bad. Have a 980 so why not! ; )

better be stutterless with the 16gb!!! I will report back

EDIT _ some guy was selling open box on CL so I just picked up 16gb DDR3 2400 - same ones I posted earlier. Talk about random. Guy said he never used it and ended up going another direction w/his build. I will report back tonight on performance.

So, anyone report on performance with something like a Surface Pro or laptop using the Intel chipset only? Will my i5 - 4400 GPU handle this maybe?

haha - totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder! For $70, I'm going for it. To your point, if not this game, something down the road and 70 isn't bad. Have a 980 so why not! ; )

better be stutterless with the 16gb!!! I will report back

I totally agree

ISee

So, anyone report on performance with something like a Surface Pro or laptop using the Intel chipset only? Will my i5 - 4400 GPU handle this maybe?

There is no easy way to say it, so I'll make it quick and fast: No!

Might not be the best place to ask, but it is PC specific.

My physical copy should be on my doorstep when I get home from work. How much of the game is on the disc and how much do I need to download?

Edit: Nevermind. There's no disc. Lol.

Didn't know that.

jacobeid

Banned
Might not be the best place to ask, but it is PC specific.

My physical copy should be on my doorstep when I get home from work. How much of the game is on the disc and how much do I need to download?

Edit: Nevermind. There's no disc. Lol.

TAA or FXAA high? What is the general consensus with this? Would it be better to use DSR and upscale at 1440p with FXAA? Or use the ingame upscale at 150%?

The ingame resolution scaling sharpens the image a bit, so it's good to combine that with TAA or FXAA to counter the blur. No point in using DSR

Crossfire users be vary though, disable it or you are going to run into problems.
Yeah, it's exactly the same case as beta. Nothing has changed as far as Crossfire support. I meant to post about it last night, but I've been too busy playing.

Just disable CF if you have any issues. A single 7970 can run this on ultra @ 1080p just fine.

I have an i3, 8GB RAM, and a 7850, and didn't have any problems with the co-op mission during the beta, but once I got into multiplayer I would get huge stuttering, skips, and such. I think it's bad net code, because lowering the resolution and graphics didn't help.

ISee

TAA or FXAA high? What is the general consensus with this? Would it be better to use DSR and upscale at 1440p with FXAA? Or use the ingame upscale at 150%?

I am using 1080p+25% (2400x1350) with FXAA high. So far I like the resolut better than 1080p+TAA and I am able to maintain steady 60fps even in 'more explosive' situations. Also no need to use DSR. just use the ingame scaling.

nictron

Are we able to use the steam controller with origin games if they are added as a non-steam game? I have never actually used origin for anything.

ISee

Thanks for all the info guys.

If anybody wants to have a game with me then feel free to add on origin (I will do co-op missions as well not just online etc)

Name on origin is I_am_ham_solo

I am such a bad player, do not want to embarrass you ;)

GreenManGaming did not get hold of enough keys to let me have one on release day even though I pre-ordered from them.....

Anger....

Rising.....

Kepler does very well in game, the 780ti still going very strong after two years.
Max settings at 60fps no less.

My Kepler 760 was doing great on the Beta.... was easy 50 to 60 fps at max settings on 1080p.

Even at 1440p it was chugging out a good 30 to 40 fps.

Apparently the game has been optimized more since then, even on consoles, so I'm excited to see what changes there are in store for me on PC........ when I get my download key :/

derFeef

Bought me a R9 390 and now I will upgrade my RAM too - from 8gb ddr3 1600 to 16gb ddr 2133. It's somehow crashing with a higher resolution than 1440p.

This is the most optimized Battlefield game I ever played.

i7 920 at stock 2.8ghz
GTX 770 4GB
Windows 10
12GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz

Pretty much 3 to 5 year old hardware.

I have everything on ULTRA except I turned off Motion Blur (which I always hate anyway) and put on the lowest AA.

I'm running 50fps with spikes above 60 at times.

The game is absolutely stunning and I spend so much time staring at foliage and rocks that I get killed for not paying g attention to Boba Fett or Han Solo capping my ass lol.

Kudos to DICE for outstanding performance and stability.

I just wish there were a few more Walker Assault maps.

M2C3

Neo Member
Anybody have 980 Ti SLI on a 1440p/144 monitor? On Endor last night, I was around 95 FPS and on Hoth was about 75 to 80 FPS which is no good because I was at the same frames on 1 980 Ti during the beta. All Ultra settings.

I wonder if I forgot to flip on SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel... but I remember seeing GPU usage around 95% for both cards. Hmm...

Seeing how well it runs and how good it looks, I'm very tempted to get this now, is the story mode meaty enough? Won't really touch multiplayer.

Top Bottom