• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PC Performance Thread

Impulsor

I'm not saying I've had the most fun with this game

But the experience is fucking amazing

I'm tempted to have people over just to show it off

Acer x34 + 980ti sli

I have a less awesome monitor than you. An LG 34um95, but the experience is blowing my mind for sure.

i7-4790k
980ti
16gb RAM

Turned everything up to Ultra on 1080p with High FXAA and then TAA. I really don't like the overall blurriness of TAA. With High FXAA I was well over 100fps in every map EXCEPT for the Imperial Base (with the lava). I couldn't keep a solid frame rate over 60 and had a few dips to the low 40's.

This game is beyond beautiful. Visuals and sound will really draw you in, even if the gameplay is just "meh".

ISee

I'm still using a CRT monitor and I might finally order a GTX970 tomorrow (GTX290 here) so I'm not going to be crazy on resolution so I'm uncertain how the rest of my build (i2500k) are going to handle these games. Probably better to play the newest games that been released in the past 12 months before deciding on getting new RAM.

Also: I have no plans on getting Battlefront 3 in the foreseeable future (or ever) but I did build a new PC (minus GFX card) for Battlefield 3 at the time so I generally pay attention to what DICE does with PC whenever they release a new game. It's that this RAM topic seem to be much more broader since a GFX card has been the only thing that prevented the full upgrade in the last 4 years and yet everything else I have is 4 years old for me so I'm aware I'm at a point where upgrading might be needed but apparently my CPU (and motherboard) is going to remain the same for the foreseeable future.

To be honest with you. If you aren't planning on getting Battlefront then do not upgrade to 16gb of ram. The only other game that will profit out of it is Arkham Knight, but AK is a mess anyway (there are some more but...).
An i5 2500k combined with a 970 + 8gb of ram will for sure let you play most games on 1080p/60fps on at least high settings. In general the 2500k still holds up astonishingly well. Get the new GPU, keep the rest and then get a new mobo,cpu and ram in 8-12 months from now. And you should consider to get a new monitor with your 970...

Does TAA or FXAA high have a bigger performance hit (if any)?

TAA has a bigger performance hit. FXAA is nearly free.

Endor Speeder Bike Training mission Test.

1080p Ultra without AA -->80 fps
FXAA High --> 78 fps (2.5% performance cost)
TAA --> 73 fps (9% performance cost)

TAA is very effective in eliminating Aliasing but I do not like the blurriness it produces. Try FXAA + 110% resolution scaling. It costs roughly the same as TAA and gives you a much better (sharper and cleaner) image quality (but granted it's still not as effective).

1080p + TAA screenshot
1080p+10% Resolution scaling + FXAA High

i7-4790k
980ti
16gb RAM

Turned everything up to Ultra on 1080p with High FXAA and then TAA. I really don't like the overall blurriness of TAA. With High FXAA I was well over 100fps in every map EXCEPT for the Imperial Base (with the lava). I couldn't keep a solid frame rate over 60 and had a few dips to the low 40's.

This game is beyond beautiful. Visuals and sound will really draw you in, even if the gameplay is just "meh".

bra, you need a 1440p gsync with that rig

watchdog

I've been getting some audio stutter in the menus and some of the maps just freeze when first loading. For example, I loaded up the speeder bike training and the game locked up like 5 seconds at a time throughout the intro. Has this happened to anyone else? These are my specs:

i2500k
Radeon 280x
16GB RAM

ISee

Honestly, we've come a long way.

November 1995 -Star Wars: Rebel Assault 2

rebel_assault2vakkg.jpg

November 2015 - Star Wars: Battlefront (3)

xwingtatooineq8kaz.jpg

Woooo I finally got my key for Star Wars from GreenManGaming..... that wait was horrendous lol! Didn't know when I would get it....

I can finally blast those rebel fools/imperial scum yay :D

Blitzhex

Anyone gotten this bug when fps hovers around 20 fps and gpu usage is maxed? Temps still stay low though. Me and my friend have gotten it at odd times. Thinking its the new nvidia driver.
I've got audio crackle as well, mainly in the menus, using a Creative Titanium HD.

A little OT, but I assume I will get face rolled using a controller on this game since there's no aim assist. Bummer, because I have good rig and want to see this in all its glory.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So are there any boxes I need to tick to have my XB1 controller active at the same time as my KB+M? Plan to use it for flight controls.

Ferrio

Banned
So are there any boxes I need to tick to have my XB1 controller active at the same time as my KB+M? Plan to use it for flight controls.

No, just keep it plugged in and pick it up when you hop in a bird. Sometimes it'll take a slight second to realize you've switched input. Also inverted flight controls are off by default, need to toggle them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the final release runs even better than the Beta did? Because that ran way way too good considering my hardware, ran it Ultra ez pz on an FX6300/280x

I only played the Beta, but it should detect and wtich controls automatically.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No, just keep it plugged in and pick it up when you hop in a bird. Sometimes it'll take a slight second to realize you've switched input. Also inverted flight controls are off by default, need to toggle them.

I only played the Beta, but it should detect and wtich controls automatically.

That's fantastic, thanks!

ISee

A little OT, but I assume I will get face rolled using a controller on this game since there's no aim assist. Bummer, because I have good rig and want to see this in all its glory.

I am playing with mouse & keyboard and they still just roll over me. I am just bad, first MP shooter since unreal tournament 3 for me (I wasn't that bad there). Still, I'm enjoying the game.
Also I guess you want to play with a controller because your PC is hooked up to a TV? Get a nice Lapboard... There are different solutions out there.

So true.. I remember Star Wars for N64 being mind blowing when it came out...

Shadow of the empire? Played it on PC back then. Yes the graphics were amazing. Can't imagine how good graphics will be in 20 years from now.

Wow, that brings back some memories but you're right.

Yeah, when Rebel Assault 1 came out my cousin told me:"Best graphics I've ever seen. Can't imagine they will be able to top that." Just quoted him and then send him both pictures. He insulted me and is going to pick this up tomorrow.

egocrata

Banned
Intel i5 4690K at 4 Ghz
16 GB RAM (1066)
256 GB SanDisk SSD
EVGA 970 GTX Superclocked

I am playing a 1080p, everything on Ultra, and the game never dips under 60 fps, the refresh rate of my monitor. The performance and IQ is absolutely stellar. The prettiest game I've ever seen.

I insist: the snow looks fucking real.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I was just about to come in and post some Afterburner readings. CPU usage of each of my i5 cores never really goes about 65% (though to be fair I haven't tested full 20x20 multiplayer). Of my 8GB of system RAM it only peaks at ~4.9GB, and that's not accounting for Windows running in the background.

Crazy by going from that chart that an i7 2600K adds 20 - 30 fps over an i5 2500K. Though mine is clocked at 4.3GHz.

I fucking wish I could pick up an i7 2600K cheap. They're no longer produced and seem to be going for a bit more than I'd like. The alternative upgrade is to clean sweep everything, which will happen one day, but the net gains of a simple i7 2600K over an i5 2500K seem pretty fucking good for modern games.

M2C3

Neo Member
I'm using the same drivers and SLI has been working fine for me with Battlefront. The usage on both GPU's seems to be 90%+ most of the time when I've monitored it. I know it's obvious but maybe try disabling then enabling SLI again, sometimes it bugs out. It should be working fine.

Yea I will give that a go later today. EA acknowledged SLI performance issues on their QA site and are working with Nvidia to get the issue fixed.

If you're getting 95% usage on both cards as you said in your previous post, SLI is working.

It's definitely working problem free for me with gtx 970 sli. I have everything on ultra except FXAA is at high instead of using TXAA, dsr @ 2560x1440 @100-140fps on a 144hz screen.

I think it might be a mis-reading or SLI is bugged. I haven't been over 100 FPS at all. Stops right at 95 frames and I have a 6700k and 16GB DDR4 @ 3200. I should easily be over 100+ frames at Ultra. I'm going to mess around with it later today and see what happens.

ISee

Quick partial translation: Also updated the OP.

pcgameshardware.de said:
full article (german)

The graphic is excellent. But that's not enough, because the performance is very good too. You don’t need high-end hardware to experience Star Wars: Battlefront in this quality (high or even maximum details) with smooth 60fps on your own screen. According to our first performance analysis high-end GPUs are even able to render most demanding scenes in Ultra HD with slightly reduced details and still achieve very fluid frame rates. We have chosen one of those very demanding scenes for our first benchmarks: The training mission - Hunt for Endor. Here we start as an imperial soldier on a speeder bike and race at breakneck speed through the idyllic forest. The graphic load is extremely high in this mission, also the streaming and CPU load is very high and brings our overclocked to 4.5 GHz i7-6700K into sweating.

And just to be clear. I agree with all of you.

1080p Ultra without AA -->80 fps
FXAA High --> 78 fps (2.5% performance cost)
TAA --> 73 fps (9% performance cost)

TAA is very effective in eliminating Aliasing but I do not like the blurriness it produces. Try FXAA + 110% resolution scaling. It costs roughly the same as TAA and gives you a much better (sharper and cleaner) image quality (but granted it's still not as effective).

1080p + TAA screenshot
1080p+10% Resolution scaling + FXAA High

Just objectively looking at both of those screens, the TAA image looks much worse, way too soft. However in motion you do definitely see where TAA has an advantage, no shimmer to be seen.

Its a tough call on which one to use, but I think FXAA right now.

Jtrizzy

Yes. I wanted to double dip if the single player stuff was worth it, but it isn't so I returned it for the PS4 version bc I suck so bad w m/kb. You could buy it and return it within the 24 hour time limit.

Y'all should do Taa then use reshade to get rid of the blur. It works well for this and fo4.

Delt31

I'm gaming on pc and HATE keyboard and mouse so using ps4 controller and its worked well. Didn't even know there was no aim assist. Best performing game since Titanfall for console gamers on pc

ISee

Y'all should do Taa then use reshade to get rid of the blur. It works well for this and fo4.

could you please post some screenshots? and maybe a quick how-to?

Just objectively looking at both of those screens, the TAA image looks much worse, way too soft. However in motion you do definitely see where TAA has an advantage, no shimmer to be seen.

Its a tough call on which one to use, but I think FXAA right now.

Yes I agree, but playing walker assault on endor with TAA makes it even hard for me to spot enemies in the distance.

ref

Unreal optimization, well done DICE.

Thinking of grabbing this just to support that insane optimization that was done.

def sim

It is a tremendous version of the game for sure and the reason why I kept it despite having some issues with content. Very impressive effort from DICE here.

TimmiT

Just tried one match. Got a constant 60fps at ultra settings at 1080p. Tried it at 1440p as well and got 50-60fps.

Intel i5-6600k
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
16GB RAM

GavinUK86

I tried using my 360 pad but I found it unplayable. The aiming seems faster vertically than horizontally so it's super annoying. Add in no auto aim and it's hard as hell to get kills.

ISee

To those disappointed in TAA and FXAA, using SweetFX's LUMASHARPEN works to re-sharpen the image to give back detail that the AA turns into blurry Vaseline.

I followed the same steps here as for Fallout 4. Just changed the exe to Battlefront's. I also recommend this for FO4, of course. You download one program and follow just a handful of simple steps to get much improved AA.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

Here are the comparisons. 1440p (cropped smaller) all Ultra:

TAA
TAA + Sharp
FXAA High
FXAA High + Sharp
No AA and no sharpening

All are using 1.90 sharp_strength in LUMASHARPEN - SweetFX.

Although FXAA High + Sharp looks the best in stills (imo), I find that in motion TAA+Sharp has the best results. FXAA, even with resharpening, has noticeable shimmering. I'll be rolling with TAA + Sharp for now.

Added to OP. Thank you.

Edit:

I am playing around with sharpening and it costs some performance, so keep this in mind when using it. Still impressive results.

So far I still like FXAA+sharpen (1.50 sharp_strength for me) better. But granted TAA + sharpen looks really good too and is superior in motion. Anyway right now I settled for 1080p + 120% resolution + FXAA High + sharpen. I am getting between 78 and 62 fps (with the endor training map being the most performance heavy) on my 970.

Durante

Hey look, another DX11 game which scales well with HW parallelism. And some considered this impossible :p

http--www.gamegpu.ru-o2sri.jpg

I am a bit disappointed gamegpu stopped doing their AMD CPU scaling tests.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So who wants to give me their i7 2600K?

Top Bottom