• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft opposes EA registration of "Ghost" trademark because of Ghost Recon

What the hell is going on in this thread? Does everyone hate Ubisoft so much that they just see something about Ubisoft and trademarks and get out their pitchforks?

This isn't Ubisoft doing some evil thing to keep people from using the word ghost. This is EA applying for a trademark (which would essentially allow them to decide who can and can't use that word in conjunction with video games) and Ubisoft telling the courts that they can't let EA get that trademark because it could possibly be used against Ubisoft for a game like Ghost Recon which has been around longer than EA applying for the trademark. Seriously the title of the thread is "Ubisoft opposes...trademark" not that they are filing a trademark.

Is that really the most evil thing anyone has done today? If you've been watching the whole React video thing unfold then this would be like EA is the FineBros trying to trademark the word "react" and Ubisoft is the lawyer coming in saying no that's not cool. And before you yell at me about why the two scenarios are different I know it's not a perfect analogy but since few people in this thread seem to be able to think past "Ubisoft EVIL!!!#$@#%" I'm trying to use something people can understand.
Hahaha came to post this. EA are the assholes, and lazy ones at that, for trying to trademark A SINGLE WORD. Like, if the wanted to trademark 'spooky ghost' or 'ghost studios' then fine. What they are attempting here would pretty much give them the right to stop other studios from using the word 'ghost' in relation to their video game.

This thread is full of nonsense.

What the hell is going on in this thread? Does everyone hate Ubisoft so much that they just see something about Ubisoft and trademarks and get out their pitchforks?

This isn't Ubisoft doing some evil thing to keep people from using the word ghost. This is EA applying for a trademark (which would essentially allow them to decide who can and can't use that word in conjunction with video games) and Ubisoft telling the courts that they can't let EA get that trademark because it could possibly be used against Ubisoft for a game like Ghost Recon which has been around longer than EA applying for the trademark. Seriously the title of the thread is "Ubisoft opposes...trademark" not that they are filing a trademark.

Is that really the most evil thing anyone has done today? If you've been watching the whole React video thing unfold then this would be like EA is the FineBros trying to trademark the word "react" and Ubisoft is the lawyer coming in saying no that's not cool. And before you yell at me about why the two scenarios are different I know it's not a perfect analogy but since few people in this thread seem to be able to think past "Ubisoft EVIL!!!#$@#%" I'm trying to use something people can understand.

This is about how I feel. The more legitimate concern seems to be EA potentially having the power to enforce a highly non-specific trademark in the realm of video games.

mabec

Did anyone comment on @Jobbs Ghost Song yet?

GHARTICLECO.jpg

Top Bottom