• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor: Religious corporation seeking to oppose Nintendo's Switch trademark

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: On July 21, 2017, Nintendo of America Inc. submitted its answer to Notice of Opposition

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91235038&pty=OPP&eno=4

Update: On June 13, 2017, Life Covenant Church, Inc. formally opposed Nintendo of America Inc.'s Nintendo Switch trademark application.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?p...&pty=OPP&eno=1

switch_church17o4w.png

On May 24, 2017, a charitable, non-profit corporation called Life Covenant Church, Inc. filed a request for an extension of time to file an opposition against Nintendo of America's trademark application US Serial Number 87209606, Nintendo Switch. Note that this is not an opposition yet, only a request that the window to file an opposition is extended.

Below is the letter they sent to the USPTO:

ttabvue-87209606-ext-3npmp.png

Source: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=87209606&pty=EXT&eno=1

So why did they file this request for an extension of time to file an opposition? Well, Life Covenant Church, Inc. apparently has a youth ministry called Switch which they have three pending trademark applications for under different goods and service, plus four older trademark (of which three are registered). The pending trademark applications are under the following goods and services:

IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Pens, pencils, markers, decals, stickers, notebooks, note cards, envelopes, paper tablecloths; and pamphlets, brochures, postcards, study guides, curriculum and newsletters, all in the fields of devotional materials, music, worship, outreach, youth ministry, retreats, youth groups, bible study, inspiration, leadership, spiritual growth, discipleship, evangelism, giving and stewardship, sermons, and baptism.

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Digital media, namely, downloadable audio and video recordings featuring religious subject matters.

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, t-shirts, shirts, hats, caps, visors, jackets, sweaters, vests, sweatshirts, pants, shorts, socks, footwear and wrist bands.

The Nintendo Switch trademark and these marks appear to have in common goods and services related to pens, pencils and the likes. Life Covenant Church, Inc. has been using its mark related to pencils since 2005, and that mark is also on a 1A filing basis (Application based on use in commerce). Nintendo's Switch mark is on a 1B filing basis (Application based on intent to use) however, although Nintendo's mark has an earlier filing date than those of Life Covenant Church, Inc.

Also to note is that Life Covenant Church's Switch logo uses a typeface very similar to that in Nintendo's Switch logo, and that typeface is FF Mark Heavy.

Likely if any greater issues should arise due to this Nintendo will either remove the affected goods and services from its application or reach a settlement with Life Covenant Church. I'll update the story as it goes.

Not the most exciting story perhaps but I figured it was worthy a mention.

Not gonna fly. Nintendo Switch is trademarked in Video Games and Entertainment, while this is in common goods and music/media. Nice try though

Phu

Banned
Well, they're both in the business of selling fantasy so I can see how it could get confusing for the average consumer.

joecanada

Man I'd go ham on that trademark. T-shirts , etc " Switch to God's light" etc

Of course I'm thinking about business and money not church goals

Lister

Banned
This is trolling. I'm pretty sure there is no confusion in the marketplace as to what each of these things are. And they know it.

BUT, as a fan of youtube commentary and video reviews I say GOOD.

How does it feel to be trolled and have someone abuse the law to twist arms Nintendo?

::channels inner Angry Joe::

How does it FEEL?!

Xbro

This is trolling. I'm pretty sure there is no confusion in the marketplace as to what each of these things are. And they know it.

How does it feel to be trolled and have someone abuse the law to twist arms Nintendo?

How does it FEEL?!

I'm sure Nintendo has lawyers who work full time to handle crap like this.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if this goes anywhere. Insofar as the standard is that a reasonable consumer would be confused between the two products, I'd say the chances are pretty close to nil.

"Religious corporation"

???

Tax loopholes. Religion may as well be an industry in some parts of the US as well.

MTC100

Banned
I didn't know how people could confuse World Wild Fund for Nature, with World Wrestling Federation, but its now WWE due to the same type of thing.

As a child I always thought they were the same organization, riding on panda bears while smashing faces with chairs sounded quite cool too :)

joecanada

oh wait I just thought of a better tshirt.

"God is always available to chat, and he doesn't make you download an app to do it"

gold, jerry, gold!

And to think I respected Nintendo. Next I'm gonna hear that Nintendo demands a Far Cry 5 port where I'm forced to kill nice intelligent white men for no reason, in a land that radical Islamic people are rising up.

TheCed

How does it FEEL?!

Hehehehe
I see what you did there.
:p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How could you confuse the two?

One is a secretive cult-like organization that inspires fanatical devotion, and the other is a church.

How does it FEEL?!

I understand the value you might feel you can derived from this, but the fact is, it's indicative of how broken IP law is as a whole. Nintendo doing takedowns of YouTube content is just another side of the same coin. Ultimately, none of it is good.

eizarus

Banned
Yeah I was totally going to mix up a donation to a charity and walk out with a video games console instead. Makes sense.

Top Bottom