• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for "Excite Truck"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
6_intro7vji4.gif

On December 08, 2016, Nintendo of America Inc. filed in the US via the United States Patent and Trademark Office a trademark application for "Excite Truck". Current filing basis is 1B (Application based on intent to use), the application entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) yesterday on Dec. 12, 2016.

Word Mark EXCITE TRUCK
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Electronic game discs; electronic game programs; electronic game software; video game discs; video game programs; video game software
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 87261692
Filing Date December 8, 2016
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
Attorney of Record Jerald E. Nagae, Reg. No. 29,481
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87261692&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

An older trademark application regarding Excite Truck, US serial number 77808299, is still in force. However, on Jun. 08, 2015, the USPTO issued a Courtesy E-Reminder of Sec. 8 (6-yr):

U.S. PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE ("USPTO") COURTESY REMINDER
OF REQUIRED TRADEMARK REGISTRATION MAINTENANCE FILING UNDER SECTION 8

WARNING: Your trademark registration will be CANCELLED if you do not file the required document below during the specified statutory time period.

The above-identified registration registered on Jun 8, 2010. Therefore, the owner of the registration must file a Declaration of Use and/or Excusable Nonuse under §8 of the Trademark Act anytime between now and Jun 8, 2016. For an additional fee, the owner may file the declaration within the six-month grace period that ends on Dec 8, 2016. See 15 U.S.C. §1058. The current fee for filing a declaration under §8 is $100 per class, and the additional fee for filing during the six-month grace period is $100 per class. 37 C.F.R. §2.6.
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn77808299&docId=ER120150608060233#docIndex=1&page=1

I cannot see that Nintendo of America has made the Required Trademark Registration Maintenance Filing Under Section 8, so this new filing could simply mean they will just let the old one lapse. There you have it anyway.

Searched but found no prior thread on this.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Meh. Not the most exciting IP I would like to see make a comeback. Unless it's just for the Wii U eShop ?

The best racer from last gen that isn't called Burnout Paradise or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit isn't exciting? Come on!

IceMarker

I had a lot of fun with Excite Truck back at the Wii's launch, would love to see it again or a sequel, really good sense of speed.

Please don't bring back Bots.

Between this, Mario Kart, and a possible Wave Race reboot, portable racing is potentially about to get real good.

Though, this news probably doesn't mean too much.

A new Wave Race and a new Excite Truck sounds waaaaay too good to be true.

Racing has been fucking DEAD to me this gen outside Mario Kart. Dying for some variety!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wave Race, now this? What's wrong with Nintendo? They are doing everything right!

I'm replaying Excite in HD on Dolphin and it's so, so good.

Excite!!!

Abounder

Banned
Hell yes, perfect for local multiplayer on the go aka the Switch. Excite Truck was second only to Wii Sports in hours logged around these parts

geordiemp

As I have not been a Nintendo fan since 2010, I can say Excite Truck was my favourite racing game of the time, only ever part challenged by the first Motorstorm.

Interested.

So they basically renewed their trademark so as to not lose it and have someone else pick it up, just like with Wave Race. Not really big news, unless you really thought Nintendo was going to abandon all of their old game trademarks... Coke lost their trademark and someone else picked it up (and Coke had to work to get it back), Nintendo is keeping that from happening.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose this could be quite a nice title to open Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 with. Personally I think this is just maintenance work though, but I wouldn't say no to a new entry (or remaster) in this franchise.

So they basically renewed their trademark so as to not lose it and have someone else pick it up. Not really big news...
Technically speaking, this isn't a renewal (see OP). But yeah, I'm thinking it's more likely they are filing this in order to prevent others from filing things under this name if/when the older application is cancelled.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
A new Wave Race. A new installment of one of my most beloved franchises ever? hahaha, I refuse to believe.
So they basically renewed their trademark so as to not lose it and have someone else pick it up, just like with Wave Race. Not really big news, unless you really thought Nintendo was going to abandon all of their old game trademarks...
Probably this.

javadoze

Don't do this to me Nintendo.

DON'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THIS!

Excite Truck was like the hidden gem of the Wii's launch lineup and I'd be thrilled to see if there were a sequel to it down the line.
No, ExciteBots doesn't count.

Rösti;226529944 said:
I suppose this could be quite a nice title to open Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 with. Personally I think this is just maintenance work though, but I wouldn't say no to a new entry (or remaster) in this franchise.

Technically speaking, this isn't a renewal (see OP). But yeah, I'm thinking it's more likely they are filing this in order to prevent others from filing things under this name if/when the older application is cancelled.

Did the Wave Race one look to be maintenance/renewal as well?

jett

D-Member
If we get another goddamn excitetruck game over another wave race I will riot fiercely!

...or at least complain on a video game forum on the internet

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, give me an (actual) Excite Truck sequel on the Switch. The original game was one of my favorites on the Wii.

I never had the chance to play Excite Truck, but a new entry sounds like great news.

I heard really good things about Truck, and this style of game is very welcome in current times.

The recent trademarks for Excite Truck and Wave Race are promising.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Did the Wave Race one look to be maintenance/renewal as well?
EU hadn't seen a trademark application regarding Wave Race since 1997, and that was only in Germany. That will remain in force until 2017-02-28 at least. Thus, there wasn't really anything to renew really, at least not something for all of EU.

The US trademark for Wave Race, US Serial Number 74246565, was renewed in 2012.

First Wave Race, now Excite Truck.

That must mean they are doing a HD collection like the Omega Wipeout except for multiple racing franchises! HYPE! :D

They still wouldn't have online tho. D:

But seriously probably just making sure they still own the name.

Semajer

Is this likely VC related? I'm still waiting for Excite Bots to come out. Did anything come of that Eternal Darkness trademark deadline?

Top Bottom