• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for "Excite Truck"

jholmes

The worst thing about Wii was the constant enforcement of motion controls when not needed...

The irony is that Excite Truck was a ground-breaking (at the time) use of motion control to steer the truck. It was easy to understand and surprisingly accurate. That's really all you needed!

LordKano

In 2009 the first post would have been "EXCITE!"

But in this miserable world of 2016 full of miserable GAFers we get this.

The times are indeed sad.

...Sorry to not be excited ? I should maybe have stayed quiet to not disturb your circlejerk ?

Lachie007

I remember your video, it was one of the best thing I saw on GAF. Bravo !

Now as someone said, it doesn't mean we are guaranteed to havd Excite back. It would be cruel to do that to us though.

If Nintendo wants to be relevant again, they need these kinds of cool arcade games. It'd be a stupid management decision to greenlight Pikmin, or a Mario party... before Wave Race, Exite or 1080. The Switch needs to be attractive again to gamers. This is how you do it from a first party point of view.

U do know that pikmin is one of nintendos best franchises. I love wave race and 'excite' too but they pale in comparison.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I thought the controls in both Excite Truck and Excitebots were beyond unplayably awful. I can't believe people would complain about Other M's or Star Fox Zero's controls but praise Excite Truck.

Teppic

Best arcade racer since OutRun 2006. This and Excitebots. I did like excitebots a bit more, except for the rotating swings that halted the race.

nightside

Gimme another EXCITE(!)trucks! More trucks, more tracks, more tricks, 60fps, online and a truck/track editor and I'll buy 2.

EVH

Game was fantastic but cringed a bit with the huge jumps. If the make them less ridiculous and add some stuff, im in.

That doesn't mean the controls were good

They are bloody good. Like I posted earlier in the thread, I played Excite Truck for the first time a few months ago, and was blown away by how natural the controls felt and how well they fit in with the game.

The drifting mechanic is entirely built around tilt controls, as is the driving model and the way your truck convincingly changes direction to match your tilt in a close-connected manner while feeling natural and not looking insane.

Other driving games that use tilt controls have their vehicles turn slowly to match where you've tilted, whereas with Excite Truck you've got that instant feedback while the actual driving itself never feels simplistic or uncharacteristic.

Meesh

Don't care what anyone says...loved Excite Truck...played the shot outta it. If they make a new one I hope the Canadian track is better though.

LewieP

Controls weren't perfect for me. They were spot on 99% of the time, but occasionally would mess up inexplicably and interpret a hard left as a hard right and visa versa. Aside from these occasional problems, they worked pretty fantastically.

It happened pretty rarely (and was largely ironed out in Excitebots), but the option of using an analogue stick would have been nice, and I'd expect as much in any sequel/follow up.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Game was fantastic but cringed a bit with the huge jumps. If the make them less ridiculous and add some stuff, im in.

I'm sorry? A car jumping high in a video game made you cringe? In a game called excitetruck?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
As long as this isn't Retro's game, I'm fine with it coming back.

I love this game, just watching a race makes me want to play:
https://youtu.be/XIB6Qe5Hvh4?t=499
What a game. Even though the player got S rank in that video they made a lot of mistakes. Makes me want to play it to put in a competing score!

Here's a poor quality video of a great run I did back in the day on the final Canada level:

https://youtu.be/Fly-mUktBiw

You mean the huge jumps make your butt clench? I agree. Tense! Vertigo!

Gimme another EXCITE(!)trucks! More trucks, more tracks, more tricks, 60fps, online and a truck/track editor and I'll buy 2.
This.

I'd even take a switch port with online. Please Nintendo, Excite Truck was so good.
Or this.

Piers

I really enjoyed the bits of it I played at my friends. Maybe because it gave me a bit of a Burnout kick, and that other motorbike game where you do absolutely ridiculous jumps. (It was a Disney Interactive game, iirc)
Edit: Oh, it was Pure by Black Rock Studio.

Top Bottom