• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

Chvatil!

cBEEh.gif

mercviper

Ha ha I'm not sure I have the cards now.
I lose to everyone else. AstroLad must be 8-0 up on me. It's like Campaign Manager all over again.
Has anyone played Torres on Yucata yet?

Might beat me. I have no clue what I'm doing. Just trying to settle areas that seem cool. I think I merchanted 3 cards but only got money for 2 because I had a card that didn't also have a ship icon on it? no idea.

Not liking roll and move and not liking dice are two distant stars.

Very true. I guess I was just trying to suggest a board game with a 40K setting (okay, actually 30K), besides Space Hulk, that doesn't use roll and move. The no dice bit was just an extraneous bit of information I threw in there.

Xater

Very true. I guess I was just trying to suggest a board game with a 40K setting (okay, actually 30K), besides Space Hulk, that doesn't use roll and move. The no dice bit was just an extraneous bit of information I threw in there.

I also know of Horus Heresy it just does not look appealing to me.

I also know of Horus Heresy it just does not look appealing to me.

I'd thoroughly recommended it to anyone who's a big fan of the setting, but it's a lot of work to set up and it can get to be a bit of a grind. I'm sure there are several similar games that do it better, so I think you need be be someone who is familiar with and enjoys the background to make it worthwhile to play.

So,

my big announcement:

http://pandasaurusgames.com/roller-coaster-rush-is-springboard-approved/

Distributor deal, and they are handling a lot of the sausage making for me as I publish games going forward. Also means I can get my games into 500+ retail outlets..

That's great news. Is that mainly for the North American market? I'm assuming you need to do a different arrangement to get it into European stores, which may not be part of the plan at first. (language issues and rules etc)

Zalasta

Even I beat you! Anyone have any idea what's going on strategically with Alchemist? I just kept making potions and lost.

You created too many recipes. You had 5 vs. my 2 for the better part of the game. Since you can only recreate your opponent's potions, I didn't have to come up with new stuff and can just keep on making your's. Therefore, you quickly ran out of options and as a result no way to score points.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That's great news. Is that mainly for the North American market? I'm assuming you need to do a different arrangement to get it into European stores, which may not be part of the plan at first. (language issues and rules etc)

They can go to about 60 international stores, mostly in Canada.

so you can get them in Europe, Asia and Australia. But these are specialty shops that import games from the US.

International deals would almost have to be a licensing arrangement with a European publisher if there were interest.

They can go to about 60 international stores, mostly in Canada.

so you can get them in Europe, Asia and Australia. But these are specialty shops that import games from the US.

International deals would almost have to be a licensing arrangement with a European publisher if there were interest.

Got it. There's a few online places that might end up with it by the sounds of things then.
Will keep my eye on kickstarter too.

The second printing of Mage Knight is apparantly out next month. What's the general opinion on this one? Watching play and review vids on BGG, it seems like my cup of tea. If I pick it up, I'd mostly play it 2 player.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Where are you printing your products?

It's down to two places.

Panda GM and Luda Fact.

Luda is in Germany, Panda is in China and they have both printed a ton of really big games that everyone has played. I think Panda GM is a little easier to deal with.

They are the guys that did Pandemic, Alien Frontiers, Merchants and Merauders.

They are good at what they do, and they have a US based home office with some really nice guys in it. Luda is less responsive than Panda, they have 1 part time employee in the US, everyone else is German and all their quotes are in Euros.. panda deals with dollars.

So yeah. Probably them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grats Stooge. Can't wait for the kickstarter.

BGG.con registration starts Monday. Planning to make 2012 my first one. Excited!

oh wow thanks for the heads up -- i haven't been reading bgg too closely recently so i definitely would have missed out. can't wait :D

and yeah stooge really exciting stuff!

besada

Banned
You created too many recipes. You had 5 vs. my 2 for the better part of the game. Since you can only recreate your opponent's potions, I didn't have to come up with new stuff and can just keep on making your's. Therefore, you quickly ran out of options and as a result no way to score points.

Silly me for thinking the point of an alchemy game might be to create recipes:) You're right, though, of course.

Zalasta's a good teacher, even if he's been frustrated at how long it took me to win a single game of Thurn and Taxis.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
coo

dominion.isotropic.org

i'll set up a game and invite you. making a private room so use the same name as here

I don't follow this thread religiously, but I vaguely remembered impressions back when I was looking at games around Christmas. I could only find one post, though, by MichaelBD:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33215852&postcount=7865

I'm assuming you are referring to Ankh-Morpork and not Guards Guards. I owned Ankh-Morpork and traded it away recently, it's a good game but can get a bit stale. The game is simple mechanically (play a card, draw a card) but the fun comes in trying to figure out the hidden roles and their win condition. The problem is that there isn't enough variety in the hidden roles. It feels like half the roles have the same win condition so the variety isn't there. Couple that with the simple play mechanics I grew a little bored with it and decided to trade it away. If you are a fan of the universe there is a lot to like about the game. The artwork is gorgeous and there are some nice inside jokes sprinkled through out the game.

As for Guards Guards, I haven't played it yet. Judging by reviews, Ankh-Morpork is considered the better of the two Discworld games. If you are looking to pick one up grab that one.

Yes, talking about Ankh-Morpork. Thanks for the impressions; I take that as a fan of the books, I should enjoy it a lot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just learned Rattus. Stoked to play this. Didn't realize it was so simple and yet it has a nice mean and random edge to it. Would be perfect for Yucata actually.

MichaelBD

Yes, talking about Ankh-Morpork. Thanks for the impressions; I take that as a fan of the books, I should enjoy it a lot.
I still really dig it. Next up I might try and get my wife and daughter to play it. Lately we've been playing a lot of Airlines Europe when my daughter is home from school.

fenners

Just learned Rattus. Stoked to play this. Didn't realize it was so simple and yet it has a nice mean and random edge to it. Would be perfect for Yucata actually.

I really dig Rattus; it's been overlooked mainly because it plays quick & when it first launched, it "felt" expensive for the amount of game in the box, if that makes sense. But it's a neat, cut-throat area control game with roles, that's easy to teach & playable in a lunchtime if you know the game. Works for me. It's a game I'm happy to push on people because it deserves to be played.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If Blood Bowl Team Manager has taught me anything it's that I love watching people turn over tokens that potentially do very bad things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom