• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

it was really fun, I enjoyed it, even if awful waffle's turns seemed like they were never going to end lol

y u call me mean names I am a lawful falafel :(

ALSO, I wouldn't mind learning a new game on Yucata if someone wants to start one (prefer Thunderstone or A Few Acres of Snow but up for anything really). My Yucata handle is Eyedrinker if anyone's interested.

besada

Banned
y u call me mean names I am a lawful falafel :(

ALSO, I wouldn't mind learning a new game on Yucata if someone wants to start one (prefer Thunderstone or A Few Acres of Snow but up for anything really). My Yucata handle is Eyedrinker if anyone's interested.

I'll hit you up with both.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yee got my new games today. Not in time for tomorrow's game night but in time for my friend coming to town.

-Thunderstone Advance is nice. Seems like they cleaned up some of the rough spots from the original and it looks really nice. Game has grown on me so much on Yucata that I'm really excited to bring it out probably next week's game night. Let this be a lesson publishers!

-Catan Rivals -- I knew it was similar to Catan Card Game but wow it's basically 90% the same game. Cool though because I always enjoyed CCG.

-Claustrophobia -- Intimidating box but gameplay seems quite straightforward. Like a streamlined Space Hulk with painted minis, which is pretty much everything I would need to make Space Hulk palatable.

-Dungeon Petz. Haven't even bothered digging in yet. Give me a couple weeks to find some time to digest all the rules.

------

Don't forget GAF, tomorrow's BGG.Con registration day! Already got my room booked, vacation days tucked away. Bring it on.

Phthisis

Had a super epic game of Wrath of Ashardalon today with the gf. We were both playing two heroes, and on the turn when we finally unveiled the dire chamber with victory condition, the wizard went down with no healing surges left, so we had to basically finish off the boss in three turns, and thanks to Blade Barrier and some lucky rolls, we won!

AoTaNfZCMAILoQK.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What's everyone's general strategy thoughts when it comes to Ticket to Ride?

I got the iPad game and have played a few games online, but it seems like I'm missing a core idea of the game because I'm getting pretty squashed.

Currently I pick station cards at the start that seem like they'll play well together (as in are located near each other) so I can finish them quickly. The first like 10 turns are just banking cards and then it seems like both players go on a claiming spree.

I play a little defense, but it isn't always obvious where the other player is trying to go, and I don't always have precious trains to waste on defensive moves.

When I get near completing my station cards I go for more depending on how many trains the lowest player has. If it's around 15-20 I go for it.

Usually at the end I finish 3-5 station cards...but never really any of the major ones.

Have had one close game, but the others I lost hardcore.

Any pointers?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I tend to collect more cards more quickly. Taking advantage of the fact you can pick a bunch and discard all but one there is a good shot of picking at least one card with a similar route to what you're already building, with the potential bonus of building an additional route for more points

reading about Claustrophobia got me thinking about the Aliens board game. What is there in that style these days? Space Hulk? Is claustrophobia like that?

mercviper

For base TtR or the 1910 expansion, I stack cards until I either A) get cards for all my routes B) Do not see any colors I can use face up C) see someone claiming routes near mine D) see someone grabbing a lot of the colors that I need.

If A) or B) I just start from one end to the other, beginning with the smaller routes as those are easier for people to steal from me.

C) Start claiming the routes near his before collision can occur

D) Grab the route of that color, or formulate new routes in case he gets 6 green before I do.

I don't normally worry about 'defense' except for when defending my own routes. I also take Houston->Dallas, Seattle->Portland and Nashville->Atlanta early if I think I will use them. I don't grab new destinations until I've completed all my routes or I am one city away with the cards in my hand.

If you never finish your major destinations, you should work on completing those first before picking up new ones. Incomplete destinations are the worst because if it was a 12 point route, it's really a 24 point deficit. You can also realistically cover about half the map, and by that I mean you have enough trains to cover a north or south border plus the east or west coast, so pick a coast and a border and only pick up destinations that lie in those areas.

2/4 on the math trade, not bad. Betrayal at the House on the Hill and a gift certificate incoming.
1/7 for me. I am getting Elder Sign but I was hoping to have more trades.

RubxQub said:
What's everyone's general strategy thoughts when it comes to Ticket to Ride?

I got the iPad game and have played a few games online, but it seems like I'm missing a core idea of the game because I'm getting pretty squashed.

Currently I pick station cards at the start that seem like they'll play well together (as in are located near each other) so I can finish them quickly. The first like 10 turns are just banking cards and then it seems like both players go on a claiming spree.

I play a little defense, but it isn't always obvious where the other player is trying to go, and I don't always have precious trains to waste on defensive moves.

When I get near completing my station cards I go for more depending on how many trains the lowest player has. If it's around 15-20 I go for it.

Usually at the end I finish 3-5 station cards...but never really any of the major ones.

Have had one close game, but the others I lost hardcore.

Any pointers?
With three players on the US map, remember that you only use one of the double connections. It's best to get to the "problem" areas as fast as possible. With four or more players it's easier to sit back and collect cards. The big one for me Houston to New Orleans. It's the fastest way to get east and to Miami and it's only one connection. Other than that I typically try and pick routes I can complete in one line. It helps me visualize where I need to go and also is good for the bonus longest route. Another tip, don't be afraid to grab routes, especially if you built a long route. Sometimes you grab route cards for connections you already made and that's free points. In a typical game of base TTR I usually complete about 6-7 routes sometimes more.

reading about Claustrophobia got me thinking about the Aliens board game. What is there in that style these days? Space Hulk? Is claustrophobia like that?
Space Hulk is about as close to the feel of Aliens I've come across. The Genestealers (Alien) come on the board as blips which are kind of like the scanners in Aliens. It's a small crew of space marines who are out numbered and if they are ever in close range of the Genestealers they are pretty much toast.

mercviper

Registered and got my ticket for bgg.con :D How long should I book a hotel for? I have a friend in Plano I can stay with, but I don't want to make that drive every day.

Artadius

Booked for BGG CON as well. So are six others from my boardgame group. Doubt everyone will end up making it...but should still be a blast.

Hey guys! I recently got an iPad and I am looking for some recommendations on board games for it. I saw the games in the OT and I will be grabbing Carcassonne soon.

me and the wife already play Ticket to ride on our iPhones like crazy.

anything else I should be looking into?

I figured you guys would have a better pulse on the iOS board games then the gaming thread.

thanks in advance!

Hey guys! I recently got an iPad and I am looking for some recommendations on board games for it. I saw the games in the OT and I will be grabbing Carcassonne soon.

me and the wife already play Ticket to ride on our iPhones like crazy.

anything else I should be looking into?

I figured you guys would have a better pulse on the iOS board games then the gaming thread.

thanks in advance!
I believe there is an iPhone version of this board game.

:p

-------
I'm curious, is there anything good for Android?

For a little bit schadenfreude mixed with a bit of buyer beware, this geeklist is hella interesting.

Mayday Games: A Cautionary Tale

If you don't know, Mayday games has been known for some pretty underhanded business practices. I've only purchased one item from then and luckily everything was a-OK but their track record is not so hot.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Quick question for you experts: what's a better 2 player game for beginners, Twilight Struggle or 1960: The Making of The President?

Quick question for you experts: what's a better 2 player game for beginners, Twilight Struggle or 1960: The Making of The President?

1960. Twilight Struggle has a lot more going on (coups, space race, stability) and may be a bit much for newcomers. If you play 1960 and are comfortable with the card play you can then move to Twilight Struggle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just played my first game of Claustrophobia and it is awesome. Pretty much everything you could ask for in a 2P vs. dungeon crawler.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So Rex.

I hate it. If 3 or 4 players are on the same spot the player who happens to be first in turn order has to run the gauntlet? That's just bad design especially when they automatically lose all committed troups. Even if they win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's what I've been saying for a while ;) It's a fantastic little game packed into a box.

Yep -- hey I got it in large part based on historical GAF hype! It's so good. Been reading through rules forums all morning (not that the rules are tricky at all, I just like to have all corner cases addressed) and can't wait to play again tonight. This time as the humans which I feel is a bigger challenge for new players, at least based on the hell I unleashed as the demons yesterday.

ParityBit

me and Hero will be at PAX East with a group of friends. I expect it to be all convention stuff during every day and all board gaming in the table area every night.

I should be there! I was surprised with how many board games were there last year (first time at PAX). I have been to Unity Games a couple times, but even that is a few years ago.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I should be there! I was surprised with how many board games were there last year (first time at PAX). I have been to Unity Games a couple times, but even that is a few years ago.

I went to the first two PAX Easts and yeah they were great. First year I had a bit more time and there was tons of gaming going on. Second year was the same though I had less time tp partake.

It is very open-gaming friendly. Probably the only thing they are missing is encouraging play with randoms like BGG does (with the "Players Needed"/"Teacher Needed" etc. signs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom