• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEL1NER

I bought Sentinels of the Multiverse earlier. I needed something to put me over the limit for free APO shipping and it was between that, Tsuro of the Seas, and the Firefly Pirates and Bounties expansion. I have played SotM once, on TT Day. I went in to it really excited from constantly reading about it but actually did not care much for the game. I did like all of the tokens and bits, for keeping track of buffs and effects. Those were a really nice touch and looked great. The theme was really solid with the exception of the amateur artwork (which I personally did not like). I just found the game to be very difficult. Two of us were learning the game and the other guy who was teaching us wasn't the best teacher and did not seem like we was all that good at the game. We played Legacy (me), Absolute Zero, and someone else (who I think could hurt themselves to buff their self and others, maybe that was Absolute Zero though) in Atlantis against maybe Omnitron? I don't remember exactly who the villain was but we got absolutely stomped. It didn't help that I didn't really know what I was doing either, but I was getting absolutely horrible cards and it seemed like I was just constantly trying to heal and keep from dying, rather than attack.

I bought it because I wanted to give it another chance. Maybe after learning it, things will go a bit smoother. I only really have one person to play with though and the game is not supposed to go that well with only two from what I hear. So I guess maybe we will both roll two heroes each. I have always thought playing multiple rolls in any game would be confusing when I would see it recommended or suggested, but I handled three characters pretty easily in Zombicide last night so I can give it a try. I am hoping I like it better this time.

Is there anything I should try to buy to go with it? The oversized villains or the playmats? I guess the playmats are kind of pricey, should I use some of the good printing companies to make my own?

fenners

Sentinels of the Multiverse...

Is there anything I should try to buy to go with it? The oversized villains or the playmats? I guess the playmats are kind of pricey, should I use some of the good printing companies to make my own?

Ignore the playmats. The oversized villains are nice to have - they anchor the table in my opinion, making the bad guy easier to read/follow. There's a bunch of solid combinations in just the base game without buying the expansions but the big box expansions offer a fair amount of value IMO.

I think SOTM is a bit of a marmite game. I love it solitaire, but I suspect a number of my buddies wouldn't enjoy it at all.

Four characters is the "perfect" number of characters, if not players. The "H" number attempts to help modify the difficulty but fundamentally, four characters split between players. Draw & play villain card, resolve existing cards, trigger villain boss feature. For each hero, play, trigger one action, draw. Draw environment card, trigger. Rinse. It's not a /hard/ game, but there's definitely exceptions that happen based on card sequence & situations.

Picked up Star Realms a few days ago. Sleeved it and played a bunch.

Surprise!

I really like it. Great little deck builder.

For $14.99 it's worth an add to your collection I think.

My only complaint is the art is a little boring for my tastes. It serves it's purpose though.

Xater

I have not looked or bought a board game for like half a year. The Spiel des Jahres nominations made me check out the titles that got nominated. I am kinda interested in Istanbul and Splendor. So far I am leaning more towards Istanbul but if there are people around here that have played these games some input would be appreciated.

Var

Picked up Star Realms a few days ago. Sleeved it and played a bunch.

Surprise!

I really like it. Great little deck builder.

For $14.99 it's worth an add to your collection I think.

My only complaint is the art is a little boring for my tastes. It serves it's purpose though.

I have been thinking of grabbing this one. I just need to bite the bullet and do it. Marvel Dice Masters has been taking up all my gaming time lately.

joelseph

I have not looked or bought a board game for like half a year. The Spiel des Jahres nominations made me check out the titles that got nominated. I am kinda interested in Istanbul and Splendor. So far I am leaning more towards Istanbul but if there are people around here that have played these games some input would be appreciated.

Splendor is super hot, probably the hottest game currently.

Karkador

Banned
Splendor was kind of yawn-worthy when I played it. How it made it to SdJ level is beyond me. It's not a bad game, but I saw nothing new or special about it other than the nice artwork of its literally pasted-on theme. At least Hanabi is actually a very novel, brain-bending experience.

Phthisis

The fun of Splendor is that it's really easy to learn and it's pretty competitive, but most of all, it's playing with the nice, well-produced components.

I use it as an opener on game nights because it's quick and simple, but it doesn't feel like a filler.

BowieZ

Banned
Where's the new thread?

Meanwhile, could someone help me work out an expanded revision of Love Letter -- one that lasts a little longer?

I've come up with the idea of Hate Letter, with probably 10-12 unique card roles, such as:

Ghost
Troll
Ogre
Witchdoctor
Imp
Witch
Warlock
Succubus
Grim Reaper
Evil Queen
Dark Lord
Devil

For example, Witch could swap two other players cards, or Succubus could take the card of any other player except if that card was female in which case it would be returned, or Grim Reaper could choose to kill the player who had the lowest total value of cards played on the table so far.

sasimirobot

Anyone here play Keltis, do you like it? I can find a cheap copy in Chinese (12$US) and was wondering if there is any text involved during play.

Neverfade

Where's the new thread?

Meanwhile, could someone help me work out an expanded revision of Love Letter -- one that lasts a little longer?

I've come up with the idea of Hate Letter, with probably 10-12 unique card roles, such as:

Ghost
Troll
Ogre
Witchdoctor
Imp
Witch
Warlock
Succubus
Grim Reaper
Evil Queen
Dark Lord
Devil

For example, Witch could swap two other players cards, or Succubus could take the card of any other player except if that card was female in which case it would be returned, or Grim Reaper could choose to kill the player who had the lowest total value of cards played on the table so far.

Mascarade.

Xater

Bought Splendor and played 5 games with it. Great little game. Because of how quick and easy it is it will probably often hit the table. Still some planning involved which makes it fun even for gamers. Reserving a card someone has been working towards is just really fun. :p

For some of those looking for events around Gencon, don't bother using the gencon site, you can often go direct to the company doing it and get in still. Like the brewery tour which sold out within minutes on the gencon site, they have tons of tix available for that weekend on their site and it's actually cheaper than buying through gencon..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom