• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Star Realms over the weekend and played it for the first time last night. Was playing it with 3 other folks, one of which apparently has never played a deck builder game before and another that's only played Dominion. If you'd like to learn more about Star Realms you can see this link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147020/star-realms. I'm still going to give a bit of an overview of Star Realms though.

Star Realms is basically a deckbuilder game that plays very similarly to Ascention. It is modeled around big space battles and retaining control over space (the latter is loosely explored through the use of bases and authority). There are 4 factions that show up in Star Realms: The Trade Federation, the Blobs, the Star Empire, and the Machine Cult. Each faction has different capabilities and excels at certain abilities which don't show up in other factions.

- The ability to regain authority only shows up on Trade Federation cards.
- The ability to force the enemy to discard a card from hand only shows up on Star Empire cards.
- The ability to trash cards out of hand or discard appears to be exclusive to the Machine Cult.
- I don't really remember what the Blob is supposed to excel at, but I remember most of their cards having draw power, which gives them a zergy feeling.

Cards that you play show up in 2 main types: ships and bases. When ship cards are played, they do their thing and you put them into your discard pile at the end of the turn. Base cards stay out turn after turn until they are destroyed in combat, at which point they go into your discard pile. Some base cards have the outpost keyword, which represents your front line of defense; players cannot attack you nor your regular base cards until all of your outposts have been eliminated.

Similarly to Ascension, there is a trade row where players get new cards from, and the trade row is always refilled from a giant stack of doom. In the event that players are having trouble getting enough money or firepower, there are Explorers that can be purchased (each costing $2, providing $2 when played and can be sacrificed to deal 2 damage).

Speaking of damage, that's the little wrinkle that Star Realm has (which I kind of glossed over with bases). Each player starts with 50 authority (representing player hit points), and players can deal damage to each other to reduce authority. When a player is reduced to 0 authority, that player is out of the game. The last player standing is the winner.

As I said, it was the first time we've ever played SR. The first game we played, we did a free-for-all involving all 4 players and 2 packs combined. It was a pretty intense game, but for me at least it felt awkward to draw lines by attacking certain players when I wasn't certain if anyone would overpower me or could potentially cooperate with me against someone else (that's probably more a problem with me than with the game). After the FFA, we got dinner and played again, but this time we split up into 2 games of 1v1, and split the stack of doom apart. I think I like 1v1 games of SR more than the FFA formats, and I think having the 1st player start with 3 cards isn't as bad of a handicap as I had thought (or maybe it was dependent on what I got).

Balance wise, I think Machine Cult cards are pretty important to get. Even if you don't plan on using their ally powers, being able to trim cards out of your deck to increase efficiency is often very important in deckbuilding games. I don't think they're overpowered though, they tend to be somewhat poor at doing damage from what I recall. Star Empire cards are also pretty powerful; the $1 Imperial Fighter only dings for 1 damage, but it can force a player to discard a card, which is pretty strong. The thing is Star Empire excels at making the opponent discard cards, so although this didn't happen in our games from the previous night, it is theoretically possible to lock a player out of a turn by making a player discard 5 cards out of hand. That seems to be very strong but I'm probably missing something. I think each faction is still fairly good all around though, just happens that red and yellow are the ones that make me more worried.

Altogether though I would like to play SR more, as it was still pretty fun, and I think I'd recommend it over Ascension.

daevv

Picked up Star Realms over the weekend and played it for the first time last night. Was playing it with 3 other folks, one of which apparently has never played a deck builder game before and another that's only played Dominion. If you'd like to learn more about Star Realms you can see this link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147020/star-realms. I'm still going to give a bit of an overview of Star Realms though.

Star Realms is basically a deckbuilder game that plays very similarly to Ascention. It is modeled around big space battles and retaining control over space (the latter is loosely explored through the use of bases and authority). There are 4 factions that show up in Star Realms: The Trade Federation, the Blobs, the Star Empire, and the Machine Cult. Each faction has different capabilities and excels at certain abilities which don't show up in other factions.

- The ability to regain authority only shows up on Trade Federation cards.
- The ability to force the enemy to discard a card from hand only shows up on Star Empire cards.
- The ability to trash cards out of hand or discard appears to be exclusive to the Machine Cult.
- I don't really remember what the Blob is supposed to excel at, but I remember most of their cards having draw power, which gives them a zergy feeling.

Cards that you play show up in 2 main types: ships and bases. When ship cards are played, they do their thing and you put them into your discard pile at the end of the turn. Base cards stay out turn after turn until they are destroyed in combat, at which point they go into your discard pile. Some base cards have the outpost keyword, which represents your front line of defense; players cannot attack you nor your regular base cards until all of your outposts have been eliminated.

Similarly to Ascension, there is a trade row where players get new cards from, and the trade row is always refilled from a giant stack of doom. In the event that players are having trouble getting enough money or firepower, there are Explorers that can be purchased (each costing $2, providing $2 when played and can be sacrificed to deal 2 damage).

Speaking of damage, that's the little wrinkle that Star Realm has (which I kind of glossed over with bases). Each player starts with 50 authority (representing player hit points), and players can deal damage to each other to reduce authority. When a player is reduced to 0 authority, that player is out of the game. The last player standing is the winner.

As I said, it was the first time we've ever played SR. The first game we played, we did a free-for-all involving all 4 players and 2 packs combined. It was a pretty intense game, but for me at least it felt awkward to draw lines by attacking certain players when I wasn't certain if anyone would overpower me or could potentially cooperate with me against someone else (that's probably more a problem with me than with the game). After the FFA, we got dinner and played again, but this time we split up into 2 games of 1v1, and split the stack of doom apart. I think I like 1v1 games of SR more than the FFA formats, and I think having the 1st player start with 3 cards isn't as bad of a handicap as I had thought (or maybe it was dependent on what I got).

Balance wise, I think Machine Cult cards are pretty important to get. Even if you don't plan on using their ally powers, being able to trim cards out of your deck to increase efficiency is often very important in deckbuilding games. I don't think they're overpowered though, they tend to be somewhat poor at doing damage from what I recall. Star Empire cards are also pretty powerful; the $1 Imperial Fighter only dings for 1 damage, but it can force a player to discard a card, which is pretty strong. The thing is Star Empire excels at making the opponent discard cards, so although this didn't happen in our games from the previous night, it is theoretically possible to lock a player out of a turn by making a player discard 5 cards out of hand. That seems to be very strong but I'm probably missing something. I think each faction is still fairly good all around though, just happens that red and yellow are the ones that make me more worried.

Altogether though I would like to play SR more, as it was still pretty fun, and I think I'd recommend it over Ascension.

Great overview! I had it in my hands last week but realized I'd need to buy 2 packs for 3-4 players so I put it back. :)

Finally got the Dungeon Dice Kickstarter in the mail yesterday. May play some solo/test games tonight.

Mista Koo

Even though I don't play the game, these Marvel Dice Masters playmats irk me. Why the hell aren't you making it resemble actual panels?? The layout is a perfect fit!

I could make one, but I'm not really interested in the game itself lol.

EYEL1NER

So my Alien Frontiers copy
  • The board has a colony constructor track is misprinted, apparently they are sending out stickers as a fix. Sure the problem is in aesthetics only.
  • One of the miniatures antenna is unhinged/broken.
  • The expansion has one of the dice crooked.
Still it was a success with my group, I liked it and I really like the pieces included. Not a bad purchase for my first big game.
Sorry to hear that. I have read about a misprint on the board that had upset people, but I never read enough to find out what it was or what it affected.
I think I found a guy on BGG who will sell me a third edition. He only ships FedEx though and I am at an APO, so he is reading up on FedEx Smartpost (how it works and how much it costs) to see if he can send it to me. If he can't, I might just order it to my apartment and have to wait until the end of summer to play it with anyone when I get back there.

joelseph

Game ID: BGM1454462
Company: Alderac Entertainment Group
Title: AEG Big Board Game Night Experience 2014!
Short Description: It returns! Join the unbelievable fun! Catch Trains, visit the Valley of the Kings, Build a Pagoda, shootout in the town square, and Smash Up everything in one Big Box with SWAG!
Long Description: AEG's Big Game Night returns! Join the unbelievable Fun! Catch Trains, visit the Valley of the Kings, Build a Pagoda, shootout in the town square, and Smash Up everything in one Big Box with SWAG!
Event Type: BGM - Board Game
Game System: multiple games
Maximum Number of Players: 400
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (You've never played before - rules will be taught)
Materials Provided: Yes, materials are provided for this game. You do not need to bring your own.
Start Date & Time: Friday at 8:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
End Date & Time: Saturday at 12:00 AM
Cost: $32.00

EYEL1NER

Wish I could attend that AEG session. I would only want to go to get the Smash Up promos and be able to buy the Big Box, maybe get the Trains board (for whenever I get the game). I will buy the Smash Up box anyway though and be happy to pay for it, so it is whatever. I was hoping to be back in the country in time to go to GenCon, but it looks like I won't. I guess I will be there in time for DragonCon though, so maybe I will go this year (since I missed the last two years). I know they do some gaming down in Atlanta for it. The real reason I would want to go is to see the band Calabrese, but seeing as they played the past two years when I wasn't there, they probably won't play a show this year if I am there.

I got a copy of Wasabi for a decent price today from a BGGer ($28 shipped). It has some mixed reviews, but I love the aesthetics so much. The folding restaurant menus for player aids, the colorful sushi tiles, the mat that it is played on... it is just a fun-looking game. I think my wife might enjoy it and my daughter will be 5 by the time I get back to the country, so she will probably be able to understand it too.

I received a copy of King of Tokyo in the mail today. I am super-pumped, because I loved trying it out on TableTop Day. But I am super-bummed that I am on day-shift now, with my gaming buddy on nights and a busier schedule (with more supervision from higher-ups) on days. Not sure when I will be able to play it... Maybe on Tuesday night if my day off ends up being on Tuesday again and my buddy has his night off on Monday again like this past week. We played Love Letter Kanai Edition, Guillotine, Smash Up (finally got to try the Sci Fi expansion I bought!), and a couple games of MtG.
Not sure how fun King of Tokyo will be with two people but I am excited to try! Might solitaire some Elder Sign one of these nights this weekend too. I feel like I am pretty spun up on the rules from reading them and the FAQs.

daevv

I have a few events picked out. The exhibit hall map was posted today (LINK) and I already have it printed and a lot of booths highlighted. :)

Picked up Masquerade yesterday. Love the quality of components. Can't wait to play it. I hear there is an expansion looming on the horizon too.

ultron87

Just got Ghost Stories because I've had a hankering for a co-op for quite awhile and don't actually own any besides Arkham Horror, which I have approximately no desire to ever play again ever.

EYEL1NER

Missed out on my Alien Frontiers that I was going to get. I was still waiting for the guy to get back to me on if he could figure out how to use FedEx Smartpost and he let me know that he went ahead and traded it away to someone locally. Pretty awesome way to run things...

I am thinking about getting Bang: The Dice Game and Fortress America right now. Bang is in my gold box for a little bit off of the regular Amazon price and $30 doesn't seem bad for Fortress. Wish I could have gotten in on the $19.99 that CSI was selling it for this morning, but it is for the best that I didn't, since their APO shipping is so goddamned high.

CSI does have Betrayal at House on the Hill up for pre-order and a tentative release date of August, if anyone has been looking for it. I am going to wait a little bit before placing an order for it and hope they don't sell through their pre-orders I guess. If I place a pre-order, can't I later add stuff to it to equal $100 and get free shipping when it releases?

Dreavus

Picked up Masquerade yesterday. Love the quality of components. Can't wait to play it. I hear there is an expansion looming on the horizon too.

I've been waiting ages for my local store to get a copy of this. Perhaps its time to check again?

EDIT: According to their site, they've got some in stock!

Got to play Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy last night. Really enjoyable game about building a family tree. Each player plays the head of a household (we assumed the children of Duke de Crecy) and the object is to get the most prestige (reputation?) points by marrying your children off to wealthy friends. In addition to marriage, you can purchase a mansion and gain additional points or go to the fertility doctor to gain heirs quickly plus a number of different actions.

I really enjoyed it. It looks overwhelming at first but all the actions make thematic sense and with the secret goal you are dealt, in the beginning of the game, you have a long term goal to achieve.

joelseph

Played Crypto's recent deckbuilder Street Fighter. Enjoyed DC more, was cold on this retheme. The added mechanic is the ability to bury cards under your Characters avatar. Unlike Arctic Scavengers you have to re-buy the card again and it goes to your discard, not to play. I might be missing something but it just slows the game down to a grind.

Karkador

Banned
Got to play Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy last night. Really enjoyable game about building a family tree. Each player plays the head of a household (we assumed the children of Duke de Crecy) and the object is to get the most prestige (reputation?) points by marrying your children off to wealthy friends. In addition to marriage, you can purchase a mansion and gain additional points or go to the fertility doctor to gain heirs quickly plus a number of different actions.

I really enjoyed it. It looks overwhelming at first but all the actions make thematic sense and with the secret goal you are dealt, in the beginning of the game, you have a long term goal to achieve.

Yeah I really enjoyed this game when I played it. The family tree thing is very novel.

Faiz

Ordered a mess of X-wing minis from CSI today, was going to put a copy of Star Realms in it too since I got an email the other day it was back in stock.... Nope out of stock again, hahaha.

EYEL1NER

Played Crypto's recent deckbuilder Street Fighter. Enjoyed DC more, was cold on this retheme. The added mechanic is the ability to bury cards under your Characters avatar. Unlike Arctic Scavengers you have to re-buy the card again and it goes to your discard, not to play. I might be missing something but it just slows the game down to a grind.
Hmmm, I haven't played it yet but some of the reviews made it sound to me like it could be really good. I almost got the DC deckbuilder a couple months back when Groupon had it <$20 but people on BGG talking about how Legendary was far superior made me rethink it. Some time in between then and now I read about some of Crypto's other games and decided I didn't like what they were doing. But the PvP of the Street Fighter game, as well as the theme, sounded appealing. I think I am going to get it (and then pray for a Darkstalkers expansion).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Crypotozoic just makes pale knockoffs of popular games. You have to be REALLY into the theme (and cool with the fact it's just skinned on) to enjoy their games imo.

Related to the above I played Arctic Scavengers for the first time a couple weeks back and really didn't like it. Felt very incomplete and amateurish. Lose a high-bid faceoff or whatever it's called by a tiebreaker and you just basically wasted your whole turn, or at best half your turn. Yikes. Art was really bad too imo. Maybe it's unfair hate -- I only played it once after all -- but there are SO MANY good deckbuilders out there think that will be all for me.

Crypotozoic just makes pale knockoffs of popular games. You have to be REALLY into the theme (and cool with the fact it's just skinned on) to enjoy their games imo.

Related to the above I played Arctic Scavengers for the first time a couple weeks back and really didn't like it. Felt very incomplete and amateurish. Lose a high-bid faceoff or whatever it's called by a tiebreaker and you just basically wasted your whole turn, or at best half your turn. Yikes. Art was really bad too imo. Maybe it's unfair hate -- I only played it once after all -- but there are SO MANY good deckbuilders out there think that will be all for me.
Did you play it with the modules? If you didn't, give it another shot with the modules. Playing with all the modules makes it feel like a complete game. They are all easy enough to put in I don't know why they just aren't part of the base game's rules.

EYEL1NER

That is what I have read before, that they reskin other games and that their deckbuilders are all reskins of each other. The Street Fighter one sounds like it has enough little changes to make it cool, like instead of a boss deck you are going against it is different stages you are on fighting on to simulate an Arcade Mode. I love fighting games and know there are some great fighting game board games out there (wish BattleCON would drop in price a bit so I could snatch it up) but the Street Fighter license is very attractive to me.

In other news, an awesome BGGer is hooking me up with Coup and Coup Reformation Kickstarter editions for what seems like a great price. I can't wait to play them, although I guess I will be waiting a while (he is mailing Coup to my stateside address and Reformation will be coming out when I get back there I guess). The crossover between fans of it and fans of Love Letter have me feeling pretty confident that I will enjoy it. And it being playable with less than 5 (like Resistance and R:Avalon require) means I will actually be able to give it a shot.

Karkador

Banned
I played some excellent board games today ; Lewis and Clark, and Expedition: Northwest Passage

Lewis and Clark is a very colorful, easy-to-play game, but the decisions you have to make are so difficult, so puzzly. It has something that I can only describe as "hand-building" (rather than deck-building).

You all start with same hand of cards, which you will then play in front of you until you decide to "camp" (which is when you and your camp make progress along the trail to the west), and take your played cards back into your hand. You can buy new cards to go into your hand, but that may start to bloat your hand and make it harder and harder for you to play everything before finally camping.

If you camp too early (leaving unplayed cards in your hand), you might actually lose progress because going over in unused resources will slow you down. Wait too long to camp, though, and the other players will probably leave you in the dust. It's a crazy, difficult game of efficiency. I lost pretty badly, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Expedition was a really neat, thematic game of laying tiles to map the frozen islands of the Northwest passage, and to sail around them with your boat to go fetch items. You could also split your forces up and send an "away team" on a little sled to go over land and fetch items that way. It's like the coolest version of Carcassonne you've ever played.

The really interesting mechanic was that the turn tracker was the sun, and each round it moved around the board, making sections of the board's ocean freeze over and trap the boats (but not the sleds, which can now travel over the frozen water) until it melts again in a later round.

Lewis and Clark is indeed good. My only concern is the length. We played it with three (2 new players) and it took almost two hours. Two hours doesn't sound that terrible but it felt long which is what concerns me. There were parts where the game just dragged. I couldn't imagine playing it with more than three. Other than that it's a solid game. Really tough choices and a good puzzle aspect to it.

Phthisis

Lewis and Clark is indeed good. My only concern is the length. We played it with three (2 new players) and it took almost two hours. Two hours doesn't sound that terrible but it felt long which is what concerns me. There were parts where the game just dragged. I couldn't imagine playing it with more than three. Other than that it's a solid game. Really tough choices and a good puzzle aspect to it.

It reminds me a lot of Mage Knight in that way. Lots of mental calculations for maximum efficiency that needs to be done in order to get the biggest bang for your buck from your hand.

The events at Gencon really booked up insanely fast this year. Even stuff that was available and plentiful last year in the miniature hobby stuff already is all booked up. I fear the cons going to be a bit too crazy packed this year after the housing fiasco and now how fast events have dried up. We had so much more time to pick what we wanted to do in previous years, but now everything is being gobbled up.

joelseph

It was insane. I got a AEG big night ticket at 2322 in line, a friend at 2375 in line did not. I was trying multiple times to get a True Dungeon puzzle 10 pack, best I could get was 7 for combat path chapter 2. Missed SUSD and Dice Tower. Lots of casual stuff was gone like you mentioned. I'm talking even the super sized expensive stuff in the hallways like Super Robo Rally.

We are going to wait and see how things go but we are even considering cancelling our trip this year, as it might be too crazy. Last to cons we went to have also been having huge surges in popularity and it kinda killed lot of the fun, so we fear Gencon might be madness this year.... not sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There comes a point it seems with the biggest of conventions where due to how packed it is and how impossible it is to do anything, you have to derive most of your fun from being "part of the experience." And maybe if there's one or two things you're into you can focus on at least seeing those since everyone is going to be there anyway, so the things you care about will certainly be represented. Sounds like GenCon is at a place where SDCC was what, 5-7 years ago? I'm kind of out at that point; I enjoy the point right before that where the convention is really popular and has lots of interesting things, but not quite past the breaking point and you can still do pretty much everything you want.

BGG.Con is but a blip on the radar compared to GenCon but I feel like it really is at that perfect sweet spot if great open-gaming is of any appeal to you. The fact that they have so many exhibitors and a healthy amount of fun events is icing on the cake. Sadly I'm not sure I'll be able to go this year since I have a work conference that directly conflicts. Grr. Really want to keep my four-year streak running.

ultron87

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go to Origins this year to get that smaller convention feel with lots of open gaming before the cacophony that is Gen Con.

EYEL1NER

After getting King of Tokyo in a couple days ago, I got to sit down and play it tonight. I got two coworkers in and had it set up and explained pretty quickly (not that it takes much of either, set up is minimal and I remembered the rules from when I first played it on TT Day, but one of the guys needs a couple explanations and walkthroughs). We played three games of it back-to-back and they both had a lot of fun. Of course I had a lot of fun, I made the decision to buy it after playing it for the first time last month. I also won two of the games handily, which was nice. I kept saying "If you yield the city, you can start healing again" but they didn't catch on to it until the third game.

I also got Eclipse and the Rise of the Ancients expansion a little bit ago in a GeekAuction for $56 total. Really pumped about that.

Played my first game of Zombicide tonight too. A coworker bought it while I was on vacation and another one learned the rules pretty well, so he sat down and ran me through everything and then we played the Grindhouse scenario with three characters each. We beat it pretty easily, which was nice because he said that him and the owner decided to make that the first scenario they played and they lost horribly. Set-up took a while though due to Toxic City Mall cards and pieces being mixed into all they ziplocs (they bought that too). The quality on the minis seemed a bit poor to me, but maybe that is just me; I haven't had much exposure to minis after all. And I was surprised at some of the rules that took me out of the theme a bit, like shooting into a space full of zombies and survivors, you automatically hit survivors first every time. But I enjoyed it a lot and will more than likely buy it when I get back to the US and find a good group to game with.

Apenheul

I find myself buying less board games now that I've fallen into the trap of trying to keep up-to-date with Android Netrunner, Pathfinder ACG and Star Wars X Wing expansions. I'll probably still buy the remaining Pathfinder ACG expansions for the current adventure path, as well as the two Spin Cycle DATA packs I haven't gotten yet, and maybe limit myself to the original trilogy ships of the X Wing game.

Experien

I find myself buying less board games now that I've fallen into the trap of trying to keep up-to-date with Android Netrunner, Pathfinder ACG and Star Wars X Wing expansions. I'll probably still buy the remaining Pathfinder ACG expansions for the current adventure path, as well as the two Spin Cycle DATA packs I haven't gotten yet, and maybe limit myself to the original trilogy ships of the X Wing game.

Yeah, the upcoming ships like E-Wing and Tie Phantoms just seem a bit too much. I don't play it enough to buy those ships.

Faiz

I'm not too worried about "keeping up" with X-wing. I just buy ships I like and throw a mess of ships on the table when it's time to play.

ultron87

I really just appreciate the audacity of the giant ships for X-wing.

I should play that game again at some point because I bought a bunch of ships for it. Just need to set up some approximately balanced opposing squadrons to use when my friends come over.

Experien

Those ships are what im excited for most, was not crazy about the last wave of ships or the big ship sets.

You weren't excited about the B-Wing? Or you talking the Red TieInter & the big ship only?

I loved the moldy crow, though...just for the model. I haven't even played it. I love the EU stuff. My two biggest wants are dash rendar's yt-1200 and some black sun star vipers.

The Moldy Crow seems like a worse Y-Wing to me. But model wise..they all are nice! and I too would buy those vipers in a heart beat. Prince Xizor!!!

Dreavus

FINALLY got a copy of Masquerade. Also got a chance to try it with 6 people (only time for one game this time, unfortunately). There were at least 2 moments of someone being convinced they are one character and revealing another, and those were great! However, once 2-3 people reveal because of challenging a player, then it feels like everyone knows whats going on until a bunch more switches, which kind of sucks. But I guess that's the foil to challenging too much and revealing yourself!

Next game I want to try putting The Fool in, seems like exactly the card that would add another way to mix it up.

Karkador

Banned
FINALLY got a copy of Masquerade. Also got a chance to try it with 6 people (only time for one game this time, unfortunately). There were at least 2 moments of someone being convinced they are one character and revealing another, and those were great! However, once 2-3 people reveal because of challenging a player, then it feels like everyone knows whats going on until a bunch more switches, which kind of sucks. But I guess that's the foil to challenging too much and revealing yourself!

Next game I want to try putting The Fool in, seems like exactly the card that would add another way to mix it up.

Were you making sure to follow the rule that if the current player just revealed their role during the last player's turn (because of a challenge), they have to swap?

EYEL1NER

I myself am about to buy Netrunner. Played some more Magic last night against a coworker (and actually won this time, like that Black/Red deck a lot more than the Blue/White and Green/White) and while I have been having a lot of fun playing it, he knows a ton more about the game and stuff than I do. So it will be nice to get something 'new' that we can start off on a more level playing field with.
I also want Pathfinder and eventually will want X Wing. I have been worried for a while that I will get caught up in buying everything that comes out and trying to keep up to date like you are. I mean that is one of the things that I thought looked bad about MDM, was the booster packs, but then I have all three of those games on my want-list? Doesn't make too much sense I suppose. I am hoping that after I get each one of those, that I look at my collection overall and feel content with just the base games. But that never seems to work out; my compulsive-shopping and hoarding tendencies tend to win out in the end.
Like I said though, that is what I am hoping! I will get Android: Netrunner, play a game of it, and think 'Wow, that was really fun. And I feel like I can continue having that much fun without needing to add a ton of shit to it.' We'll see...

Dreavus

Were you making sure to follow the rule that if the current player just revealed their role during the last player's turn (because of a challenge), they have to swap?

Hmmm, maybe we weren't. We thought it was only if you stole an action by having the card the person to your right announces, not if you revealed at all. I'll make sure to amend that. I definitely want to get more plays in, in any case.

Are there any particularly good character set ups to try?

Faiz

That's how I started too ;)

Haha well, I've been playing it for 6 months and just now ordered some wave 2/3 stuff. And there's still stuff from all waves I've not purchased. Not particularly in a hurry to get a shuttle or a HWK for example. In time I might have at least one of each ship but I'm really not feeling the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom