• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

Durante

I was very sceptical of the 5 Edge score for Final Fantasy 13 when I first heard of it, since I couldn't believe that it was as good as Dragon Age: Origins. Now that I have played it and come to appreciate one of the best battle systems in a RPG ever I think it actually may be!

eznark

Banned
Rez said:
I don't think anyone anywhere should be encouraging this mentality at any time. It's absolutely toxic.

(note: I like FFXIII and would probably give it 3 belt buckles out of 7 peanuts on the Rezoscale)
You biased moneyhatted son of a...

Why so low?

nib95

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Production values alone don't mean shit.

We need to stop with this bs. Look at other entertainment mediums, Transformers 2 has production values blowing out of every goddamn hole, and it's still a piece of shit movie.

They often (not always) do in games. They can give them the extra layer of polish that makes makes certain elements that much more inviting. I.e, controls, cinematics, cut scenes, battle systems, effects, weapon/vehicle/world/character designs and diversity etc. Most of which are still top pedigree attributes to this latest Final Fantasy despite the other really poor design decisions/changes made.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Durante said:
Now that I have played it and come to appreciate one of the best battle systems in a RPG ever I think it actually may be!
it is pretty damn good (the battle system, that is).

I wish there was a 'wait' option, though. I'd love the be able to just get my bearings mid-way through a big encounter and work out who's buffed/debuffed and all that.

I mean, I can see why, mechanically, a wait option would take some of the tension out of the battles, but a boy can dream.

Durante said:
I was very sceptical of the 5 Edge score for Final Fantasy 13 when I first heard of it, since I couldn't believe that it was as good as Dragon Age: Origins. Now that I have played it and come to appreciate one of the best battle systems in a RPG ever I think it actually may be!

:lol

I almost always disagree with Edge's scores, but those two are on the money sadly

obonicus

Fersis said:
Im amazed by this (Every month):

GAF: We're so hardcore, game journalism sucks, we dont care about reviews.
Magazine : Super Game 8/10.
GAF: RAAAGEEEE!!! THEY INSULTED EVERYTHING WE BELIEVE ON!!! FUUUUU !!!

But hey, at least is fun to read the meltdowns.

I must say this every Edge thread, but it goes both ways. You also have terrible posters going 'Game I like got scored more than game Y, I am validated, Edge is amazing!'

Durante

Rez said:
I wish there was a 'wait' option, though. I'd love the be able to just get my bearings mid-way through a big encounter and work out who's buffed/debuffed and all that.
I understand why you'd want that (I've wished for it myself in some battles) but it would destroy the momentum of the battles, which is one of the most appealing things about it. Also the fact that it matters greatly not just which decisions you make, but also the timing of when you make them.

Dabanton

sankt-Antonio said:
i dont give two shits about reviews since they tricked me to buy mirrors edge,

i just want to say this about the bayonetta/gow fight:

imagine you are NOT an anime/manga fan, you do NOT like girly/flashy stuff all the time, and now imagine this person playing bayonetta...

its like a raver at a jazz concert, you would think that he has to like the "better" music and enjoy the concert... but damn this guy just want to party and get trippin`... and he`ll be gone fast.

What is this? :lol

Dynoro

obonicus said:
French is a kind of British, isn't it?
That's like saying Canadian is a kind of American - what is this I don't even.....

As for the scores; I don't see anything too wild, but I've only played the demos of a few of these games so things may change dramatically. Still; I'll be picking up Edge next time I'm in town for the actual text behind the numbers

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Kosma said:
I think GamesTM is better then Edge in almost every way.

This post reminded me that I needed to pick up the latest GamesTM just to check that Alan Wake article out. So I did. I'm not a huge fan of the magazine but I suppose it's alright. I open it up and the first thing I see is a quote in the Heavy Rain review; "Heavy Rain, like that first love, shows us just what we were really missing". All I can think is what the fuck?

Dabanton

Hydrargyrus said:
If, at least, the paper was soft and smooth...

So classy.

But logically your're the bigger fool. As that would have meant that would have paid for the magazine to wipe your ass with.

onken

I've got this sneaking suspicion he *just might* have been joking with that "French is a kind of British" comment.

Hydrargyrus

Dabanton said:
So classy.

But logically your're the bigger fool. As that would have meant that would have paid for the magazine to wipe your ass with.

Yeah, I like to live high! :lol

One thing, it's me or are you taking a critic to a magazine as a personal attack?
No need to insult...

Cdammen

"EDGE gave X games X in score?"

EDGE isn't one person (this applies to almost all game mags), it's a magazine with a whole slew of different writers and sometimes they hire freelance. And why does it matter if the game you like got a "low" score? That score won't change what you feel about the game.

But hey, I hate game review scores. I feel the same way about movie reviews. 80% can say that a movies sucks but I will still see it and get some enjoyments out of it.

panda21 said:
wait they gave dragon age origins a 5? :lol *runs out to buy FFXIII*
I think they reviewed the Xbox 360 version. The visuals and the controls aren't as smooth as the PC games'. The different control scheme also makes the game play differently.

Pug

Edges reviews scores are explained in every issue and have been from day 1, they are as below.

1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
10=10.

It makes me laugh that posters think that EDGE has an agenda against particular games. They use in the main feelancers to write reviews and these guys have worked on numerous mags covering all formats. Serioulsy some gamers need to get a grip.

Dynoro

lorddarkflare said:
This is quite possibly one of the worse examples you could have used.
I don't see how - both sets of countries are located next to each other and have a strong history with each other. I would not mix up Canada and the US, just as I would not mix up France and Britain.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Dabanton said:
What is this? :lol

just tried to get people to understand that some folks like game a) more than game b) just because of personal taste...

but as you don`t seem to get it -
go ahead and troll people not liking the games you like ;)
last sentence is a joke,but you might not get that to... :|

fuck, what to do now?!?!?

CozMick

Banned
terrdactycalsrock said:
all of those scores look reasonable and im espically happy to see yakuza 3 get a nice score

And this is what worries me,

I love Final Fantasy 13 and loathe Yakuza 3 with a damn passion.

Have I lost my way Gaf?

Corto

Dynoro said:
I don't see how - both sets of countries are located next to each other and have a strong history with each other. I would not mix up Canada and the US, just as I would not mix up France and Britain.

Is reason was that America is a continent not a country. But you could argue that America is not a continent too, but North America and South America are. So when you wrote America it should have been implied that you meant USA.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
CozMick said:
And this is what worries me,

I love Final Fantasy 13 and loathe Yakuza 3 with a damn passion.

Have I lost my way Gaf?

Absoloutely. Your taste is not the same as a singular magazine. Time to sell off your gaming gear an pick a new hobby. You had a good run.

Dynoro said:

Well seeing as Canada is part of North AMERICA. Canadians are a type of American, North American.

Of course I meant it as a joke, just like the original poster did.

Personally I think the FFXIII score is ridiculous...

Edge are actually one of the most personal opinion driven reviewers out there... I personally don't see why people hold them as being any more credible...sure they are harsher in some cases...but they still gave Halo 3 and GTA IV 10s...ridiculous scores under any circumstances

I am not saying they are biased per se...but the reviews in general are not particularly impressive...they are overly brief and do not generally offer any particularly great insight. Their current reputation has been gained from scoring out of the leftfield.... I bought Edge now and then for probably 10-15 years...and I think the magazine isn't as well written as it used to be.

Rez said:
I love God of War, but it's always been a junk food series for me.

I mean, every time I drop by God of War, Call of Duty or Uncharted, I love my meal and can't wait to drop by again and again, but every now and then I'm treated to a delicacy, such as Resident Evil 4 or Half-Life 2 or Bayonetta or REmake or Grim Fandango that, while I don't eat them as often and sometimes they have strange quirks, are much more memorable and exciting to me. I feel more invested in them.

They're the tens, but they're rare.

This.

I love both games for different reasons. They're both 10 out of 10 in my heart. :)

K' Dash said:
ANY site/magazine that gives FFXII a 9/10 can't be taken seriously.

Yeah....

They should be taken as the fucking gospel.

On the other hand they only gave VS a 7, though after their time extend article I think I can give them a pass.

nelsonroyale said:

Edge are actually one of the most personal opinion driven reviewers out there... I personally don't see why people hold them as being any more credible...sure they are harsher in some cases...but they still gave Halo 3 and GTA IV 10s...ridiculous scores under any circumstances

I am not sure if you are reading your own post.

Fimbulvetr said:
Matsuno fanboy drivel

The game certainly does not deserve that score, but neither do most games reviewed period(imo of course), so I am not sure why it was singled out.

nelsonroyale said:

What a great example of recursion!

itsinmyveins

schennmu said:
I would never buy this "journalistic piece" :lol

Scores are good for a laugh, but shouldn't be taken seriously.

Then you'll be happy to know that the scores only take up 10-20 characters in total in a magazine of over 100 pages.

nib95 said:
But yea, they fact that numerically speaking, they think games like Fuel and Prototype are level pegging with titans like Bioshock and GOW3 certainly confuses me.

Ugh, your attitude is just all wrong. Big budget games automatically deserve better scores, I don't even know how to respond to that.

tzare

number1jagsfan said:
Ugh, your attitude is just all wrong. Big budget games automatically deserve better scores, I don't even know how to respond to that.
well. it may be the case whre Bioshock and GOW have something else besides a nice budget. Maybe only.

TChirath

Neo Member
It's probably just my inaccurate perception, but I feel Edge's score for "popular" games mostly deviate from other gaming journals, while the less popular ones are more likely to agree with.

When I actually have time I want to actually test this theory. :D

itsinmyveins

So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

Mass Effect 2 got a 9 and Halo 3 got a 10.

I just wanted to remind you guys.

panda21 said:
wait they gave dragon age origins a 5? :lol *runs out to buy FFXIII*
Well, I liked dragon age but it deserves it's score. Just because a game is labeled as average doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

Dynoro

lorddarkflare said:
Well seeing as Canada is part of North AMERICA. Canadians are a type of American, North American.

Of course I meant it as a joke, just like the original poster did.
Ahh good point :D

itsinmyveins said:
So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

Mass Effect 2 got a 9 and Halo 3 got a 10.

I just wanted to remind you guys.

I suppose the intent is to illustrate that these mean nothing since they are just numbers and we do not know the content of the reviews.

If so, I agree.

:D

tzare said:
well. it may be the case whre Bioshock and GOW have something else besides a nice budget. Maybe only.

Well obviously, but I didn't suggest otherwise. If you actually bothered to read the post I was replying to and his other posts (probably too much hard work for you), what he seems to be suggesting is that it is laughable that "lesser" games get reviewed on an even keel with the high-production games. Thanks for completely missing the point though.

Top Bottom