• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but to be fair, you were the one who highlighted it and made a big deal of it. :)

I have all of the On The Spots from 2004 and nearly 2005 now, for a GB related topic. Thankfully the 2005 eps are half the size of those from 2004. I should have them all by the weekend!

Good summer ahead watching them.

I highlight it because I thought you were way out of line. But I shan't prolong the discussion, let's move on.

I honestly don't think I can watch/listen to anything with pre-Bomb Ryan. His change in demeanour/voice is really off-putting. Even that This Year compilation of the first year of the Bombcast/Arrow pointing down was a bit hard to listen to at times.

Yobalt

I'm still hoping to see...

The Tussle for Aiur
Brad Showmaker
vs​
Norman "Shoebreaker" Chan
3​

I was going for a fight poster. I couldn't think of anything that rhymed well with Protoss or Auir. Maybe the Fire in Auir?
Tassadars Thursday Tussle?

Also, didn't Norm slaughter Brad the last time they played?

Riposte

In my mind it's not the word it's the sentiment behind it, there's really no need to be that harsh towards a person just because you dislike them. I mean what the hell did Leigh do to warrant such vitriol? Got drunk and acted stupid on a podcast? Dear god, why hasn't she been arrested?

Seriously though this is not the place for this, it's pointless and has nothing to do with Giant Bomb.

Leigh Alexander is one of the worst videogame writers I know of. It would one thing to be bumbling, but otherwise innocent like most videogame journalists/critics are. However what she writes is the opposite of good, not just a poor attempt at good, and it comes off as unhealthy to the process of understanding the medium. Because the other journalists I mentioned are pretty oblivious, they can't call bullshit for what it is. She carries herself with an unearned sense of importance (in other words she's pretentious) and she could be best described as a hipster (who wants to appeal to movie hipsters who want to appeal to "art" hipsters) who shows no deeper understanding of videogames, simply how to use them to be a known person. The fact she becomes a complete mess of a human being when whenever she drops that pretension (either via "juvenile" twitter fights or getting pissed drunk in front of the world) is just the tip of the iceberg. If I am to hold her with any respect for her as a videogame writer (impossible by now) she should at the very least what describe in detail what is wrong with Twisted Metal mechanically when she says it is not "well-made". That's what I would demand for anyone else, and she is not special just because she retweets some women-themed slurs directed at her. Annoying.

I wouldn't mind if someone just made a drama thread about Leigh/Jaffe antics. Though it would be late now. So I said all I had to say here.

Tassadars Thursday Tussle?

Also, didn't Norm slaughter Brad the last time they played?

Alliteration, works but they would have to move it to Tuesday.

There was some shit talking in a recent "This is Only a Test" when Brad was a guest. I was hoping it would rekindled the rivalry, even though it's been a little one sided so far.

Mahonay

Banned
Leigh Alexander is one of the worst videogame writers I know of. It would one thing to be bumbling, but otherwise innocent like most videogame journalists/critics are. However what she writes is the opposite of good, not just a poor attempt at good, and it comes off as unhealthy to the process of understanding the medium. Because the other journalists I mentioned are pretty oblivious, they can't call bullshit for what it is. She carries herself with an unearned sense of importance (in other words she's pretentious) and she could be best described as a hipster (who wants to appeal to movie hipsters who want to appeal to "art" hipsters) who shows no deeper understanding of videogames, simply how to use them to be a known person. The fact she becomes a complete mess of a human being when whenever she drops that pretension (either via "juvenile" twitter fights or getting pissed drunk in front of the world) is just the tip of the iceberg. If I am to hold her with any respect for her as a videogame writer (impossible by now) she should at the very least what describe in detail what is wrong with Twisted Metal mechanically when she says it is not "well-made". That's what I would demand for anyone else, and she is not special just because she retweets some women-themed slurs directed at her. Annoying.

Wouldn't be easier to say "I don't agree with her style of journalism" or "she doesn't appeal to me"?

What's the point of systematically picking someone apart like that? Aside from making yourself feel better.

Don't make Twitter drama threads. We're supposed to be one of the more respectable forums, ffs.
This!

So just how giant is that bomb? What happens when it explodes? Why won't luchadeer return my phone calls?

What was the quicklook where vinny was being a floating head? I can never find it.

So just how giant is that bomb? What happens when it explodes? Why won't luchadeer return my phone calls?

What was the quicklook where vinny was being a floating head? I can never find it.

Tony Hawk SHRED.

Watched it for the first time not too long ago.

Edit: Maybe RIDE. Both crap names!

Edit 2: No it was SHRED.

inky

It was definitely shred because I remember people actually getting offended by Jeff's shirt in the comments.

What? It was his CCCP shirt right? I never knew about this, but I didn't think americans (especially of our average age) still felt the ex soviet union was something offensive. Nevermind a sport's jersey, not even a flag or political thing.

Started by a GAFfer, no less.

Wow.

not that, I don't think he can be objective with this game as some member of the staff would.

lol.

Like giantbomb gives a crap about being objective.

I say bring on a Coonce review. the man has done nearly everything else on this earth. let him review a game he probably shouldn't.

But SSX seems like a Jeff thing doesn't it?

I'd argue that the beauty of language is that it's capable of shocking. That a society has set an arbitrary line below a set of words deemed too offensive even for a mixed company willing to accept broad vulgarity like fuck, cock, shit, etc is total horseshit.

Well, my monocle just popped off.

Ryan sure sounds like he's looking forward to Black 2 and White 2.

It is pretty shameless. But Pokemon is always shameless like this, it's a waste of breath to whine about it.

I never particularly understood why people shit on hyper iterative series like that. It's highly profitable, there's a solid set of base mechanics that are still industry best and don't really lend themselves to much alteration without fucking it all up, and there's a dedicated fanbase. Everyone wins! Except those who don't care and still feel compelled to comment.

It is pretty shameless. But Pokemon is always shameless like this, it's a waste of breath to whine about it.

I never particularly understood why people shit on hyper iterative series like that. It's highly profitable, there's a solid set of base mechanics that are still industry best and don't really lend themselves to much alteration without fucking it all up, and there's a dedicated fanbase. Everyone wins! Except those who don't care and still feel compelled to comment.

Might as well bitch about Madden, the way I see it.

lol.

Like giantbomb gives a crap about being objective.

I say bring on a Coonce review. the man has done nearly everything else on this earth. let him review a game he probably shouldn't.

But SSX seems like a Jeff thing doesn't it?
Yeah I think Jeff is reviewing it, weird thing is though I'm pretty sure he said he's never liked the series.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Looks like Patrick stirred up the hive with that article.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/when-passions-flare-lines-are-crossed/4006/

Truth bomb.

I'm not the man's biggest fan from his dumb Call of Duty comments on his previous Bombcast appearance, but I really respect Jared a lot more after reading this and after getting into his streams. It's one of the few streams that feels welcoming. I'm really hoping they have him on the podcast next week to discuss this, so they have someone who can defend certain aspects of a community that none of them belong to. Obviously not the harassment part though.

Sweet, never played 4, but really enjoyed Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries:
enemykite 1 min
With all the upcoming mech titles @VinnyCaravella and I will load up Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance for tomorrow's "Random PC Game" at 1030am PST.

Zomba13

I'm not familiar with the fighting game scene but I can't think of a more ridiculous analogy. Fighting games without sexual harassment is like playing basketball with a football. What?

That guy seems like a dick.

Wait, not a dick. It's a gendered insult.

That guy seems like a not very nice person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom