• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekku

Spot on.

That's still in.

bf4_zps6bd50d6e.jpg

That's no blue tint. The colors become washed out due to the storm, just like in real life. This is how it looks normally:

8bv.png

9bv.png

Damian.

Banned
Good to see better color saturation. BF3 graphics were massively improved if you risked a ban and took away the ridiculous blue filter. I even stay out of some maps completely because it looks so bad at times.

Again, please take note of the sun.

Pre-storm:
XKZUc6f.png

Color picker on center of sun: 255,254,255
Color picker on edge of sun: 250,247,242

Post-storm:
5TFtKn5.png

Color picker on center of sun: 255,255,255
Color picker on edge of sun: 245,246,247

So MAYBE there is a SLIGHT blue tint to the sun post-storm, but the blue levels pre-storm are objectively lower than red/green.

There IS some blue tint going on, post-storm, but there is also desaturation, it looks like. I don't think it's anywhere near BF3, though.

Spl1nter

That's dissapointing....

Maybe in Battlefield 5 then.

They tested it affecting weapons. It wasnt fun what so ever for obvious reasons.

One of the most interesting details and one that heavily affects the pace of game is the new revive mechanics:
Quick Revive = 20-30% health
Charge Revive (1 or 2 seconds depending on spec) = 100% health
Killed <= 5 seconds after revive results in permanent death

Going to change up the pace of the game quite a bit.

New lvlcap video on al bf4 light machine guns: http://youtu.be/vFdjsWO0zl0

They tested it affecting weapons. It wasnt fun what so ever for obvious reasons.

One of the most interesting details and one that heavily affects the pace of game is the new revive mechanics:

I can't stop looking at your avatar and hearing him say, "He's a good Canadian boy! He can do no wrong!" Sorry, I just hate Cherry lol.

But awesome that he posted a new vid.

Bailers

I like the charging of the paddles, it does make me think back to BF2.

So if I understand correctly, if you are killed within 5 seconds of being revived you can't be revived again, correct? I'd rather they just give us 3-4 seconds of being invulnerable, but I guess either will work. Tired of being brought back only to die instantly. So frustrating when you can be suppressed even before you are brought back to life.

Makoto

But chopper sniping is an effective way to help the team, that's what the chopper is for, killing people. Sitting back clearing off a control point of enemies as your team moves in to take it is very helpful. It doesn't need to be near a point to help and frankly becomes less effective the closer it is. The chopper isn't for capping points or flying 10 feet away from a target like you see in the ridiculous BF4 video.

I'll agree that limiting the the range is contradictory of the rest of the design, so perhaps a better idea is to simply increase the spread at a distance. I just don't like the idea of making so many invisible walls in the game. It negates the ability for escape in many BF3 maps because several of them don't have much in the way of cover for an air vehicle. It's obvious there's a very fine line between making the chopper into an unstoppable killing machine and turning it into a flying coffin.
As it stands right now, the risk of piloting an attack chopper is too low when the pilot and gunner are fully aware of the ability to orbit camp. Nowadays, if the map's got an attack chopper on it and there's some guy at the top of scoreboard going 30-0, it's because he and his pilot sit at the edge of a map picking off any infantry that are convenient for them, not the ones that are actually relevant to the team's goals. I'm not going to applaud that, especially when the attack chopper has situated themselves so far from the map that nobody on the ground may touch them.

When you have unavoidable counters like SOFLAM-aided Javelins and Guided Missiles, I could see how restricting the borders attack choppers are able to traverse would seem worrisome. It brings up another issue altogether: the overabundance of ways to counter air support but then... I guess that's another discussion since I don't even agree with DICE inundating the Battlefield series with so many different tools at the players' disposal because the balance gets screwed up and Battlefield 3 couldn't be better proof of that. I'm still convinced DICE has no idea what they're doing in regards to balance in BF4 (letting Engineers have both rockets and a stinger) and that worries me because even when they didn't completely throw 50 million weapons into players' hands in BF2, they still didn't know how to balance the game.

It also brings up another issue that is inherent to Battlefield 3. The primary reason why attack choppers were so involved in BF2 was because the view distance was short. Orbit camping wasn't an option in BF2 due to the technical design of it, but since we're now capable of seeing things on the other side of the map in BF3, it lends itself to balance problems like the attack chopper gunner having free reign.

TCRS

Banned
It's hard to say if it's the grip or if the LMGs generally have less recoil. Also magazine sizes seem to be different, the M249 had a lot more without needing a larger magazine. Also at 8:50 or so you can see a mortar strike. I wish he had shown the bipod.

JJD

Firestorm, Metro, Oman, and Caspian are returning.

Yes, Oman lol. Good thing it's a great map.

I like metro, but they should bring back just the maps from B2K. I liked most of the maps on BF3 but they aren't classics like Karkand, Oman, Wake and Sharqui.

Since Caspian is coming back, does that mean they fixed the bullshit dealing with the tower at A? As in the one way railings for gun fire? Maybe just flat out shoot the tower down?

It's hard to say if it's the grip or if the LMGs generally have less recoil. Also magazine sizes seem to be different, the M249 had a lot more without needing a larger magazine. Also at 8:50 or so you can see a mortar strike. I wish he had shown the bipod.

every gun has extended mags default, for example the pp2000 has it's +40 mag standard or the M249 it's 200 mag

Naked Lunch

This is incredible news. Insta revives of entire squads in seconds was BF3's biggest problem. Certain deaths should be un-reviveable too, like dying from C4 or a tank shell. It was like that in BF2.

zma1013

Since Caspian is coming back, does that mean they fixed the bullshit dealing with the tower at A? As in the one way railings for gun fire? Maybe just flat out shoot the tower down?

I doubt they even consider it a priority. And they aren't 1 way railings, they are just invisible walls. It's just that the people on the tower can easily shoot over the walls and duck behind them for cover and it's hard to get any sort of good shot on them at such extreme distances when you can only actually hit the 20% of their head that's exposed; also see head glitching, which isn't really a glitch but just shooting from your forehead as the game allows.

I'm not expecting them to change it.

The audio is fucking nuts.

BC2 had too much bass at times and BF3 went far too realistic where everything was clicky and clacky and lacked that overall THUMP!

it seems BF4 is mixing the two and making it realistic but adding a little extra bass to everything to bring back more of that sort of Hollywood sound. It sounds incredible

zma1013

The audio is fucking nuts.

BC2 had too much bass at times and BF3 went far too realistic where everything was clicky and clacky and lacked that overall THUMP!

it seems BF4 is mixing the two and making it realistic but adding a little extra bass to everything to bring back more of that sort of Hollywood sound. It sounds incredible

war tapes

demolitio

This video once again worries me about a lack of recoil. MG's are looking like SMG's and he didn't even need to use bursts for longer-range kills due to how little the gun moved anyway...

If they tone down the thing that made BF gunplay feel 100000x better than COD, I'm going to be one sad gamer. Games SHOULD require some level of skill instead of making everything easy for any encounter. If the recoil stays the same, there's no reason not to use the fastest firing guns in the game since there's really no drawback.

This video once again worries me about a lack of recoil. MG's are looking like SMG's and he didn't even need to use bursts for longer-range kills due to how little the gun moved anyway...

If they tone down the thing that made BF gunplay feel 100000x better than COD, I'm going to be one sad gamer. Games SHOULD require some level of skill instead of making everything easy for any encounter. If the recoil stays the same, there's no reason not to use the fastest firing guns in the game since there's really no drawback.

I'm worried about the same thing, but on the other hand, I think it might just be LevelCap--he's been playing BF3, and BF4, for a while and probably has a good grip on the recoil.

Or maybe they just need to reduce any accuracy boost that those foregrips give to LMGs.

Some parts of the footage had crazy amounts of recoil, especially at longer ranges. Most of the kills he was getting were close to medium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom