• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

Kusagari

Note the key word "at launch" suggesting it'll come later down the line. Once again, Nintendo is avoiding the mistake of bloating the Switch with too many features at once on launch. The Wii U was trying to be a family fun time box, Wii successor, and media player all at once, and that's a lot of what caused it's confusion. The 3DS didn't get Netflix at launch either, it took until the fall of 2011 to get it.

This has to be a joke. The Wii U caused confusion because it looked like a tablet add on for the Wii and had a confusing and nonsensical name.

It had nothing to do with being a media player. Nobody is going to be confused about the Switch being a games console because it plays Netflix.

TLZ

Banned
to bad man i will miss it.
i guess i have to use .

My:
2 laptops
my 4 phones
3 ipads
ps3
xbox 360
one
vita
wii
2 pc's
2 apple 3 tv
1 apple 4 tv
3ds
3ds xl
new 3ds xl
2ds

damn what will i even do ?

You sure like to show off sir.

Not everyone has a ton of devices like you do.

balohna

They really aren't ready to launch this are they...

I think they want to get it out to get a few sales from hardcore fans and start amassing a bit of a library, and then do a big marketing push around Christmas. We'll probably get Netflix around then too.

meerak

I think the general sentiment is that if you are using the Switch as a portable device, it would be nice not to have to also carry an ipad or laptop for netflix. I think most people would find it really convenient if the Switch could just replace their ipad for basic internet functionality.

I agree it would be convenient, no argument there, but I just don't feel like "having Netflix" is much a seller / dealbreaker in the same way it was 3 years ago. Plus, I do expect Netflix down the road, just not at launch. Maybe I'm the crazy one but mostly I just watch Netflix at home. On the plane they have those in-house movies, and on vacation at a hotel, well... I dunno I guess I am just not dying to use Netflix, and, if I need to, my phone screen will suffice for that emergency.

Seriously I have about 8 devices that have Netflix on it. I really couldn't give two flying fucks if the Switch has it. Put games on it , GOOD games and fast. Don't worry about Netflix , Amazon and so on. Why is this even an issue? You all have smartphones right? Isn't it just fine if the Switch is purely for gaming?

That's my feeling, for sure. At home it's a moot point. On the road, I'm not going anywhere without my phone, and that's where Netflix, etc, can stay. Seems a benefit for the Switch if it can really stay super light.

I do have a ton of devices that play Netflix. Still though when taking my Switch with me I don't want to have to think, do I need to grab my iPad also in case my Kids, my wife, or I want to watch Netflix. Just seems like a weird decision at any rate.

I agree it's not the obvious path, that much is for sure. I just feel Nintendo is really treating this as a dedicated gaming device, not a catch all. But honestly, to use your example, I think in reality your wife / kids will want to bring their own device anyways. Economics play a huge role here but in my mind most families on trips don't just have 1 phone/tablet/laptop. Obviously every family very different, just anecdotally, looking around, most people have their own personal devices.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As somone who carried their Vita with them everywhere and liked very much watching Netflix on it, on that big screen... this sucks.

Hopefully it just means at launch.

I doubt those complaining about the lack of the app "at launch" would use Netflix on the Switch. Same thing with a web browser. I don't think I've ever used a web browser on a console. i use my PC or my phone. And Netflix, I use my Netflix 4K app in my TV, the PS4 in the bedroom or my phone when on the go. I doubt I would be away from my phone, even when I have my Switch. It's not like it'll be Sohphie's Choice when I leave the house. It'll be my phone and the switch, or my phone only. No one will leave with just a switch. No one. Stop this foolishness.

i guess i have to use .

My:
2 laptops
my 4 phones
3 ipads
ps3
xbox 360
one
vita
wii
2 pc's
2 apple 3 tv
1 apple 4 tv
3ds
3ds xl
new 3ds xl
2ds

I don't have a tablet, Netfix would be neat. Also, fucking bragging man.

i guess i have to use .

My:
2 laptops
my 4 phones
3 ipads
ps3
xbox 360
one
vita
wii
2 pc's
2 apple 3 tv
1 apple 4 tv
3ds
3ds xl
new 3ds xl
2ds

Oh yeah, let me carry an extra thing just to get streaming capabilities. It's embarrassing to omit a streaming service as valuable as Netflix. Even more embarrassing when it's already available on as many devices as you listed. When even the 3DS line has Netflix, and not a modern-day piece of hardware coming out in 2017, you know you fucked up.

Jubenhimer

latest

But is true. Just look at Nintendo's pre-launch marketing and PR for the Wii U. They spent a lot of time talking about Video apps, video chatting, Nintendo TVii, etc. They wanted this thing to be a media box as well as a game console from the get-go. With the Switch, Nintendo is focusing sorely on the gaming aspect to avoid confusion, and will potentially add non gaming features to the Switch later in it's life.

This has to be a joke. The Wii U caused confusion because it looked like a tablet add on for the Wii and had a confusing and nonsensical name.

It had nothing to do with being a media player. Nobody is going to be confused about the Switch being a games console because it plays Netflix.

The Gamepad and Name were the biggest contributors to the Wii U's confusion, but being pimped as a media box also contributed, abiet, to a much lesser extent. The Xbox One had a similar problem with it's reveal, where it was trying to be more of a media box than a gaming console, which led to confusion about the gaming aspect. Sony got it right with the PS4 pre-launch by focusing almost exclusively on the gaming aspect.

JeTmAn81

Everything has Netflix these days. My toaster has a Netflix app. If it doesn't get added eventually I will SMH.

Juraash

It's on literally every other device on Earth...Doesn't really seem like an issue. Especially if it's just for launch. You can spend way less than 300 bucks to watch Netflix if you don't have a device that does it already.

And this is a big deal why? It's not like the Switch will never get Netflix lol. There's so many other platforms(PS4,Xbox One, Wii U,tablets and so on) to watch Netflix on, it being on the Switch doesn't equal the Switch is dead or something (not accusing anyone of saying this). However, it's gonna come on obviously within the first 6 months if I had to guess.

rockx4

Noted. My nephew has asked for a tablet to replace his aging Nexus 7 for his birthday, no need to consider the Switch then. Too bad, because even though he still likes Nintendo games, he's not going to opt for a Switch over a tablet.

No media apps would remove this from my sister's list also. She's been thinking of getting a tablet for my nephew, and he loves Nintendo, but he also loves watching shit on youtube\netflix. Just having youtube alone and being able to play Nintendo games makes this an instant purchase for her. I know a lot of other parents that feel the same way.

ViciousDS

Banned
I doubt those complaining about the lack of the app "at launch" would use Netflix on the Switch. Same thing with a web browser. I don't think I've ever used a web browser on a console. i use my PC or my phone. And Netflix, I use my Netflix 4K app in my TV, the PS4 in the bedroom or my phone when on the go. I doubt I would be away from my phone, even when I have my Switch. It's not like it'll be Sohphie's Choice when I leave the house. It'll be my phone and the switch, or my phone only. No one will leave with just a switch. No one. Stop this foolishness.

I don't use 4k Netflix due to bandwidth caps......you have any idea how much that shit sucks up?

Soroc

I think its pretty apparent at this point that the Switch launching on March 3rd should be considered a "soft" launch. In publisher terms today this is called "Early Access". The system should be ready to go Gold around Winter 2017.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But is true. Just look at Nintendo's pre-launch marketing and PR for the Wii U. They spent a lot of time talking about Video apps, video chatting, Nintendo TVii, etc. They wanted this thing to be a media box as well as a game console from the get-go. With the Switch, Nintendo is focusing sorely on the gaming aspect to avoid confusion, and will potentially add non gaming features to the Switch later in it's life.

That's because they fucked up the marketing part (like they fucked up also this live conference). Not because it had Netflix or multimedia features at launch. You're confusing causes and effects big time.

meerak

This is a lol worthy response. Why should you have to get a second device to watch Netflix instead of using the portable tablet gaming machine you just bought? This is the kind of thinking that allows Nintendo to pass off a Phone App as legitimate chat support.

Thanks for the lols duder! :D

But ze jokes on you my friend...

See, you *already have* that second device! And a third, fourth, fifth, etc. They're in your pocket, under the TV - all around you! Netflix devices are growing on trees I heard.

Noted. My nephew has asked for a tablet to replace his aging Nexus 7 for his birthday, no need to consider the Switch then. Too bad, because even though he still likes Nintendo games, he's not going to opt for a Switch over a tablet.

I mean, I just wrote above that I think they should of had it, but yea, definitely do not buy him a switch if he asked for a tablet. This is not the same thing with the same functionality. It was never going to be that, with netflix or no.

bounchfx

It's on literally every other device on Earth...Doesn't really seem like an issue. Especially if it's just for launch. You can spend way less than 300 bucks to watch Netflix if you don't have a device that does it already.

it's just another thing for people to complain about.

I'm fairly certain it will come to the device by the end of the year, but I mean.. for realsies, even most TVs have built in netflix since 2014 as far as I've seen
and to be fair, it really should have netflix. it just also feels like a non-issue. on both sides. everyone is dumb. me included.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Understandable, but Netflix is so common its odd if it doesn't come at all.

TLZ

Banned
Nobody is going to be confused about the Switch being a games console because it plays Netflix.

Tell that to the parents who'll buy this as an alternative tablet for their kids with the expected apps only to be disappointed later. (Possibly misinformed further by GameStop/EB employees)

-shadow-

On the one hand, everything supports Netflix these days, so why would this? On the other hand, everything supports Netflix these days, so why not this?

antonz

Its funny really. those cute bullet point charts that Nintendo likes to make comparing features across devices etc. would have switch look like complete shit next to even the 3DS.

RK128

This is gold; everything can run Netflix and a basic web browser. Considering the thing has a great touch screen reportedly, the Switch should have support for basic features like Netflix or a Web Browser. It is a TABLET that plays games. How do you mess up something so simple.......

I think its pretty apparent at this point that the Switch launching on March 3rd should be considered a "soft" launch. In publisher terms today this is called "Early Access". The system should be ready to go Gold around Winter 2017.

Then it clearly isn't worth the 299$ then. The launch line up is small, not a lot is detailed currently (online mode specifically) and the lack of media apps small/not even present. Happy to wait for Dec. 2017 to pick one up for Mario (if I pick one up at all this year; might wait until 2018 to get a Switch).

phanphare

Banned

I've put in hundreds of hours on both the Wii U's web browser and Netflix

yes I'd use both on the Switch if they were available

To all the people saying it doesn't matter because everyone had other devices that play Netflix, I think that's missing the point. If Nintendo wants to get casuals to buy this needs to have at least some functions that make it usable as a tablet as well. No browser and no Netflix basically kills it as a tablet entirely as those are probably the two apps that get 80% of total use on tablets.

Are people really interested in watching a movie on a device that may not last the entire movie? Or with a 720p screen? Don't people have better devices at this point. Tablets, chromecasts, computers, etc...

I mean it should include various apps because why not but I can't call it really disappointing.

edit: and yes I know you can watch netflix with it docked I'm just making a lame joke. I just feel like soooooooo much shit can run netflix these days that it's not a big deal.

Lol what? So because The device only last 3 hrs playing a demanding game?

Also who cares if the 6" screen is 720p for watching movies? I'm not gonna read a book on it.
Edit** even for reading the ppi is pretty good I'm sure

Finally, if "soooooo much shit" can run Netflix these days then it's even more concerning when the switch doesn't. But I'm sure it will post launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a device that it's anyhow connected to the TV. Of course it should have Netflix. With the benefit that being also mobile it should be able to access the movies offline. You can make the same sales pitch as with the games. You start watching a movie on your TV, continue to watch it offline in the bus. It's about convenience.

lenovox1

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K Netflix, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing?

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

Playing just video, the Switch would have the better battery life if Nintendo kept in the hardware video decoder that the Tegra X1 chip has. Or, at least, the Google Pixel C has better battery life doing just video than a comparably sized iPad.

Matt

Nintendo has been tight with dev kits, and media apps were low on their list of priorities.

I imagine they will show up eventually.

Top Bottom