• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

Oh yeah, let me carry an extra thing just to get streaming capabilities. It's embarrassing to omit a streaming service as valuable as Netflix. Even more embarrassing when it's already available on as many devices as you listed. When even the 3DS line has Netflix, and not a modern-day piece of hardware coming out in 2017, you know you fucked up.

I mean, Nintendo figured people could just use their phones for voice chat....might as well get the Netflix app installed on the phone too. lol.

MrBS

Relax guys there will be a separate app for Netflix on smart devices that will compliment your Switch online experience.

Nintendo has been tight with dev kits, and media apps were low on their list of priorities.

I imagine they will show up eventually.

Not having a web browser, i wonder if they're extra cautious because of the security holes they've had with the Wii U and the 3DS

phanphare

Banned
Do you not have a phone or tablet? Why use the limited gamepad for netflix? 480p screen was awful.

I have a phone, yes. why would I use a phone to watch netflix when I have a television that I bought to watch stuff like netflix on? and why would I use the Wii U's gamepad to watch netflix when I have a television that I bought to watch stuff like netflix on?

Cheddahz

Banned
if your device that is coming out in 2017 can't run netflix, you might as well just quit while you can. i'm pretty sure that my toaster oven can run netflix

I have a phone, yes. why would I use a phone to watch netflix when I have a television that I bought to watch stuff like netflix on? and why would I use the Wii U's gamepad to watch netflix when I have a television that I bought to watch stuff like netflix on?

You have no other device connected to the TV that can run netflix? Really?

Netflix is on a million devices so this doesn't really bother me. I'd complain that I can't watch Netflix on the go but I can't really think of a situation where I wouldn't have my phone which would more practical anyway.

TLZ

Banned
pretty sure you do own a smart phone right ? ;')
I sure do. I'm typing on it right now. ;)

My kids don't. And they watch Netflix kids on their moms iPad. I'd rather they have the one device with all their favorite apps instead of jumping through a couple. That's ideal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

5b7.jpg

While Netflix is available on just about everything else, many folks don't care to pay for something that does less than othersix at the same price. If A does x you and z but B only does x, then many will find more value in A.

I'm already getting the system and never use Netflix outside my residence, but it really shouldn't be difficult to understand why it's an issue in a competitive space.

XOMTOR

No media apps would remove this from my sister's list also. She's been thinking of getting a tablet for my nephew, and he loves Nintendo, but he also loves watching shit on youtube\netflix. Just having youtube alone and being able to play Nintendo games makes this an instant purchase for her. I know a lot of other parents that feel the same way.

Yup, I've been tasked to find a replacement tablet for him as apparently I'm the tech guy in the family. Like you mentioned, all the Switch would need is Netflix and YouTube + Nintendo games to be an insta-buy.

Man not having a browser is kind of annoying. I like being able to browse the web for odds and ends (like trophy/achievement hints and FAQs) while in the middle of a game sometimes. Having to put the device down and then picking up my phone, tablet or pc is an inconvenience.

It wasn't such a big deal back when the 3DS and PSP browsers were a pain to use anyway, but this is just a tablet now so it's just as convenient to use a browser on it as anything else I've got.

I still say it'll be on there eventually. Wii U had Netflix at launch but the layout and functionality was garbage before they finally reformatted it.

crinale

The whole service and app front seems like a total mess. Why the hell did they partner up with DeNA if they still can't deliver? I hope the Switch will at least use a modern process model and utilize multi tasking. It would be embarrassing if they still rebooted into a game application.
This ultimately end up the biggest mistake Nintendo has ever made.

eaise

Neo Member
yeah that and the lack of a web browser are huge blunders for the system. can't believe that this actually came to fruition.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is that the Switch doesn't have Netflix?

Almost every TV nowdays has a built in Netflix button. So why does it matter if the Switch has Netflix or not? 90% of the time everyone will just use their TV for it. Doesn't seem like a problem at all to be honest

The past week feels like the election all over again. I just keep getting punched in the gut. No web browser?! Even my 3DS has a pretty capable web browser, and yes I do use it. To everyone saying "I have a tablet, why would I need this", some of us like the convenience of not needing 3 different devices on us for these various tasks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can't wait for the unavoidable picture comparing Wii U and Switch with Wii U having Netflix and browser and free online and Zelda and MK and Spatoon and ...

Wii U redeemed. /jk

I can't remember Vern, did I make any bets with you about a web browser and Netflix?

I am fairly flabbergasted btw. If this isn't something they address anytime soon (like when their online service becomes paid) then I have absolutely no idea what they could be thinking.

Such a wasted opportunity. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS have it. Why not put it on the most obviously useful console???

I'm not even mad because I probably wouldn't use it much but like... this seems like an easy way to make money, no..?

NimbusD

I wouldnt trust any reports like this. But if it's not true it's only Nintendo's own fault for being so vague and unclear about specifics like this.

If it is true then... Fuck man. Does it affect me that much I. The grand scheme of things? I guess not. But it's just another indication that Nintendo doesn't understand what people want in a portable device in this day and age.

And Nintendo's been responsive so I fully believe if it's not there now, it will be... But Nintendo moves at a fucking glacial pace and has zero foresight. They refuse to ditch the 3ds and invest fully in one hybrid platform so they've been playing catch-up since entering the HD era kicking an screaming.

I just really can't take this shit after being burned by the Wii u so badly. Even look at Netflix there. It was a great app that made use of the console's unique features, but had a few things that needed to be fixed. Instead they kept it unupdated forrever until finally replacing it with a carbon copy of other consoles apps essentially removing any Wii u specific features. Yeah that's Netflix, but Nintendo does nothing to reach out to or entice or keep third parties tuned into Nintendo's vision.

And honestly it's because they're message has been muddled since the end of the Wii era. The switch is a mess of ideas in stark contrast to the bold simplicity of the Wii. Or even the simplicity of previous consoles that were purely game machines. Technology and culture has changed and outside of the games, Nintendo has no fucking clue what to do with these changes. They keep half hearted my throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Damn. Yeah I guess after writing this I sort of made the decision to cancel my switch preorder.

phanphare

Banned
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is that the Switch doesn't have Netflix?

Almost every TV nowdays has a built in Netflix button. So why does it matter if the Switch has Netflix or not? 90% of the time everyone will just use their TV for it. Doesn't seem like a problem at all to be honest

sure

it's a media device releasing in 2017 that connects to a tv and has a screen yet lacks netflix

also I'm a part of the 10% that would have utilized netflix on the Switch

Would it really be that hard to get an app funxtional and running before March? It seems ridiculous to me not to have what is now widely considered a baseline system feature in all electronic devices.

Hexer06

Jesus... Ppl are making fun and saying that Launch Day is a beta test. It looks to me like it's a fucking alpha! What in the actual hell is going on at Nintendo!? I'm sure it'll have it eventually but this truly does feel like the first console that really seems like it's Early Access or a Beta test. I'll be getting the Switch around Holiday most likely when Mario comes out and hopefully they've fleshed out the features. Mario looks pretty awesome, minus the stupid New Donk City level, lol.

JP

Maybe Nintendo just has issues with software on the Switch that only gives you a month's access for free and then expects you to hand over money to continue using it?

The people saying what's the point of having it on there when so many other devices do are truly missing the point. THere are still people who don't have some kind of netflix box, or maybe they want to buy this and set it up in a room that doesn't have it. Not having simple things like this is just another knock against a high priced system that is supposed to provide the home console experience. These are minimum things that a console maker can get done to make the system more appealing. Nintendo will continue to live in their own little world though.

rockx4

It makes no sense for it to be missing media apps. I remember Nintendo saying they wanted to upgrade mobile gamers, how can you get them interested when you're missing these apps. Do they expect mobile gamers to buy a separate tablet to use with this? Switch needs to be able to replace simple tablet features while also being a gaming device. Parents would never buy this for their kid in place of a tablet. Kids spend more time on youtube than actually playing those games.

Sizzel

wat? lol.

the only reason Netflix, Voice chat, multiplats, tech specs aren't an issue for a lot of people is because we are getting them somewhere else...if we were not...the sky would burn. If this was an Xbox or PS system with this lack of, what we all take to be standard, features... it would be DOA. This is not a game changer of a system it is Nintendo first party delivery system right into muh veins.

Can we all admit we are literally just buying this for 4-6 games, it is very few, if any's primary system and this is going to be a Gamecube or a WiiU. We all wanted it to be the return of the king... it isn't, but hoping for Metroid Prime.

Hm... something tells me this will just be at launch, but I guess we'll see? What's the likelihood that Netflix's app development team just didn't get information from Nintendo until recently?

azyless

You have no other device connected to the TV that can run netflix? Really?
I don't either. I think you're all vastly overestimating the number of people who own Smart TVs and/or PS4/X1, specially outside of the US.
Even then, it's always a negative to take away a feature, even more so when the competition does support it.

Huge bummer. Was looking forward to having a small tablet with a kickstand and front facing stereo speakers for Netflix. Hopefully it'll come eventually.

Top Bottom