• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The people saying what's the point of having it on there when so many other devices do are truly missing the point. THere are still people who don't have some kind of netflix box, or maybe they want to buy this and set it up in a room that doesn't have it. Not having simple things like this is just another knock against a high priced system that is supposed to provide the home console experience.

Even if you have another netflix box, Switch is connected to the TV already. It's a matter of convenience to have access to basic features and apps without needing to change the device everytime. It's not a game breaker, but it creates a bit of discomfort.

Just use this handy peripheral.
netflix-iphone.png
It also does voice chat.

Actually, it plays games too.

Maybe the slim version will just be an empty box.

Elandyll

Banned
The decision not to delay to November really boggles the mind... Just to have the launch in their FY I guess...

It might end up costing them in the long run ... (not just because of Netflix and browser, but sw lineup and overall features).

Lol @ people saying this is "no big deal". An easily added/achieved feature is missing, one that would keep the device in peoples hands and their eyeballs glued to it even when not gaming. How many kids are going to want to "switch" from gaming to Netflix on the trip to grandmas, but because of this stupid oversight will put down the Switch and pick up the iphone/android instead (and then possibly not "switch" back again because they get sucked in by some mobile game when their show is over)?

This is almost as bafflingly stupid as Sony not putting Netflix on the PSTV.

Nintendo will eventually add Netflix. The key words are "at launch". Even with all their bizarre decision making, I can't believe they'll overlook the Netflix effect permanently.

The Boat

I don't either. I think you're all vastly overestimating the number of people who own Smart TVs and/or PS4/X1, specially outside of the US.
Even then, it's always a negative to take away a feature, even more so when the competition does support it.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a significant number of people with no laptops, smartphones, tablets, consoles or smart TVs buying a Switch and paying for Netflix.

EVIL

Honestly, from what I see is that Nintendo want this to be a pure Gaming system without all the other media center crap which is perfectly fine. I have a ton of other devices to watch netflix on or whatever.

lenovox1

Jesus... Ppl are making fun and saying that Launch Day is a beta test. It looks to me like it's a fucking alpha! What in the actual hell is going on at Nintendo!? I'm sure it'll have it eventually but this truly does feel like the first console that really seems like it's Early Access or a Beta test. I'll be getting the Switch around Holiday most likely when Mario comes out and hopefully they've fleshed out the features. Mario looks pretty awesome, minus the stupid New Donk City level, lol.

Did we forget the Wii U launch? Where none of the software worked until the Spring? And the interface took 2 minutes to load?

Ditto for the 3DS?

Yeah, the decision not to include Netflix in their launch schedule seems to be a deliberate one, for better or worse.

Definitely worse, but there's a million things that play Netflix already. Including the smartphone Nintendo is forcing you to use their online services through.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Honestly, from what I see is that Nintendo want this to be a pure Gaming system without all the other media center crap which is perfectly fine. I have a ton of other devices to watch netflix on or whatever.

A gaming system without basic online gaming features embedded.

Biske

Did you guys not see the "at launch" part? The Wii U didn't have a bunch of multimedia apps at launch either

Hey, can't have another tedious Switch reaction thread if we are gonna read and think clearly.

As a person who loves watching Netflix on the Wii U, my reaction is.... who gives a shit. I have so many devices to watch Netflix on at this point, most of them just as mobile if not more mobile than the Wii U and Switch.. I just don't care.

mugwhump

No netflix or browser at launch...

I guess I understand the March release, this thing definitely wasn't ready for the holidays.

antonz

The question becomes I suppose. What has Nintendo and DeNA been doing for the last 2 years? I mean its going to be almost 3 years since they announced their partnership to create an online platform etc. before Nintendo is even ready on the Switch.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure there's a significant number of people with no laptops, smartphones, tablets, consoles or smart TVs buying a Switch and paying for Netflix.

the Switch is something that will be connected to my tv at all times. it's the perfect device for something like Netflix.

KORNdoggy

I imagine it will come after launch (like so many other features it seems) but its yet another peice of negative news that has trickled out since the stream. Its not doing nintendo any favours and is a feature that should really be there day 1.

No netflix or browser at launch...

I guess I understand the March release, this thing definitely wasn't ready for the holidays.

I'm not sure it's ready for march tbh

Oh yeah, a pure gaming machine without chat/party.

Revolutionary.

The Boat

I never mentioned smartphones and laptops.

They were talking about devices they can connect to the TV to watch netflix. Unless you're referring to devices that are permanently connected to the TV, in which case I misread the discussion, all the devices I said can be used for Netflix and are easy to connect to the TV.
the Switch is something that will be connected to my tv at all times. it's the perfect device for something like Netflix.
Sure, I don't deny that. I'm also fairly sure we'll see Netflix on the Switch at some point.

This is a dangerous game Nintendo is playing. One we've seen them play them play in the past and loose. That game being on of "we are a game company, not a tech company." With the Switch's specs and form factor there is zero reason why it should not have the basic usability of a tablet. Netflix, Amazon, Kindle, Playbooks etc.

eaise

Neo Member
sure

it's a media device releasing in 2017 that connects to a tv and has a screen yet lacks netflix

also I'm a part of the 10% that would have utilized netflix on the Switch

Netflix will come later

But look at it this way the Switch launches on March 3. In order to have Netflix on the system at launch they would've had to so less work somewhere else. Or the could've pushed the launch date back a couple months.

Now I think launching with no Netflix (that as you pointed out can be used on literally any other device in everyone's house) in order to have the best possible GAMING system at launch is a much better idea than moving the release date back.

rockx4

E3 or some Direct presentation should clear up any issues.

E3 would be so late, this launches in March. I'm hoping some info comes out very soon.

They didn't rush it for Zelda. They rushed it because they promised release in this fiscal year to their investors.

People would also be pissed if they held onto Zelda for another year... with the Wii U having 0 games lol.

HeySeuss

I'll take misleading thread titles for $1,000, Alex. He said that it wouldn't be there at launch, not that it wouldn't be there at all. We already knew this.

phanphare

Banned
Netflix will come later

But look at it this way the Switch launches on March 3. In order to have Netflix on the system at launch they would've had to so less work somewhere else. Or the could've pushed the launch date back a couple months.

Now I think launching with no Netflix (that as you pointed out can be used on literally any other device in everyone's house) in order to have the best possible GAMING system at launch is a much better idea than moving the release date back.

I'm still buying it at launch it's just a stupid decision is all

NMFried

Not bummed because Netflix is on everything from my TV to my microwave nowadays. It'll get it eventually, along with Hulu, HBO, etc.

Netflix will come later

I'm pretty sure Netflix would be the one to develop the app. Nintendo likely didn't get the dev kit in time as they will put netflix on anything with a screen.

And you just know Nintendo is going act like it's some amazing deal when it finally does release.

Vena

They should say that...

I mean, he more or less did otherwise specifying is rather meaningless.

Seems they kept dev kits tight (or were tight by necessity) and they're likely only now going out wide and that would include Netflix for making an app. Can't imagine that would actually take them very long, though.

statham

iPhone 4 isn't even 720p.
"the iPhone 4 was first unveiled on June 7, 2010, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco,[6] and was released on June 24, 2010, in the United States"
or did I get played?

got played, FU! :p

Top Bottom