• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Reallink

So I won't be buying until this fall so things will change, but is this what you guys are recommending?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...HDTV/5025164.p?id=1218599349389&skuId=5025164

For $1500 (which is right at my budget) it looks amazing. 3D and internet ready.

There is no GT this year, so by Fall you'll be looking at the ST60 or VT60 as comparable models. FWIW, Panasonic's are also no longer the defactco gaming displays either beginning with the XX50's. They increased lag significantly over prior model years, with ~40ms of lag in Game Mode (decent speed, but horribly inaccurate PQ--lots of processing enhancements locked on with no user toggles, very low and dynamic gamma). All other modes are at least 56-60+ms. For comparison the XX30's were ~32ms in all modes and the X10's were in the low 20's. The combination of low lag and PQ made Panasonic's the go-to recommendation, but unless they make significant improvements with the XX60's, I'd also start considering Samsung's PDP's. Their larger screens have had very similar PQ the past couple years while also offering more accurate Game and PC modes. You will have to check detailed reviews and impressions once all the new models are out.

Gbraga

Since next gen will be 1080p, I'll just stick with my current TV, and when I replace it I'll probaly get another 1080p TV (if they still exist)

LordCanti

Hmm, I have'nt been keeping up with tech for the past few years.

Why cant it work?

Don't 3dtvs need to display 120HZ to get 60Hz 3d anyway? Or is there something to this tech I'm missing.

1080p 3D isn't 60hz per eye (it's 30).

Edit: Thinking about it...it may be 24hz per eye and not even 30.

There may be some 120hz monitors that will accept 60hz per eye (at 1080p) over the new HDMI spec, but I haven't looked into it. There aren't any TV's though.

I've always been happy with my Samsung LCD - I think the picture is great if not fantastic. Never had one issue with IQ or input lag. Then again, I'm not insane. Some of the elitist snobbery that you find in these threads is borderline laughable.

That said, I believe my next TV will more than likely be a OLED if it's anywhere near affordable. If not that, then I'll maybe step up to plasma.

mkenyon

Banned
Just out of curiosity, can 60Hz 3D monitors/tvs be used as 120Hz 2D monitors/tvs?

Like do they just straight up work like that or do have to fiddle with drivers.
3D Monitors can (mostly) work as 120Hz monitors. You need a DP or Dual Link DVI, and need to make sure it is in fact a 120Hz/144Hz display.

1080p 3D isn't 60hz per eye (it's 30).

There may be some 120hz monitors that will accept 60hz per eye (at 1080p) over the new HDMI spec, but I haven't looked into it. There aren't any TV's though.

Whaa?!

Whats the point of 30 Hz 3d then?(for gaming anyway)

That pretty much makes it a 3d bluray watching device.

LordCanti

Whaa?!

Whats the point of 30 Hz 3d then?(for gaming anyway)

That pretty much makes it a 3d bluray watching device.

Googling, I think I was wrong about that. It's actually 24hz per eye @1080p/3D apparently. That's to fit the 24hz film spec I assume. So, yeah, it's for film watching and not game playing. I think the consoles output 720p/60fps in 3D mode.

3D Monitors can (mostly) work as 120Hz monitors. You need a DP or Dual Link DVI, and need to make sure it is in fact a 120Hz/144Hz display.

Aah, is there support for that? My mistake.

amrod

too bad no plasma's are 47" ish (the max I have room for)... Wish I had the room for a 50" but don't in this room, so don't know what I'm going to buy

Wow. Love this threads.

So, the best thing in gaming is Plasma and the panasonic models no less...

I read that some people are really disappointed with the gaming results of Tv's like the samsung Es8000 and high class Leds like this one.. which I find disturbing...

I was planning to get myself a 40"-47" Tv, I was planning to get myself a Sony or Samsung model with 200hz, full hd, but upon viewing those reactions and how everyone encourage Plasmas Tv's for gaming, i'm in doubt.

What about Tv's that have been in a showcase of a mall? I assume plasmas are not recommended, but what about less, do they have a longer life span than lcds and plasmas?

knitoe

Wow. Love this threads.

So, the best thing in gaming is Plasma and the panasonic models no less...

I read that some people are really disappointed with the gaming results of Tv's like the samsung Es8000 and high class Leds like this one.. which I find disturbing...

I was planning to get myself a 40"-47" Tv, I was planning to get myself a Sony or Samsung model with 200hz, full hd, but upon viewing those reactions and how everyone encourage Plasmas Tv's for gaming, i'm in doubt.

What about Tv's that have been in a showcase of a mall? I assume plasmas are not recommended, but what about less, do they have a longer life span than lcds and plasmas?

No. Sony local dimming LCD, like HX950, are better as I stated in an earlier post. The problem is local dimming LCD TVs are usually $1000 more than their same class plasma version.

Jtrizzy

there is pretty much no hope for 120hz tv's from my understanding. Although some people trying to overclock their 3dtv's now with Titan cards, it's a built in feature. 4k will push the bandwidth limit, but there is nothing pushing higher refresh rates other than niche gamers like us. Even if HFR stuff from the Hobbit took off, which it's not, it'd still be 48hz.

I think I'm just gonna pick up the Asus 27" 120hz 1080p 3d tn panel, and keep my VT25 until something really amazing comes out.

Mastperf

No. Sony local dimming LCD, like HX950, are better as I stated in an earlier post. The problem is local dimming LCD TVs are usually $1000 more than their same class plasma version.

Which reviewers rated that tv higher than the high-end plasmas?

Inspired by this thread and with next gen on the horizon, I decided to upgrade from my 40" Samsung 720p lcd to a panasonic plasma.
Looking around for deals, sears had the 50" st50 for $799. Called best buy and they have 1 left in stock. Get there guy looks around for about 10 minutes, nothing.

Welp seems they dont have any panasonic plasmas and wont be getting any more until the new line ships.. After talking a bit seems they have an open box 55" st50 priced at $1200. Honoring the original price match they drop $200 off, so for $1000 I got a 55" st50.

Beside the increase in size the biggest difference that popped out to me is how fluid everything looks. Its absolutely breath taking the difference in quality from my old set.

I'm looking for an LED TV(not interested in plasmas for a variety or reasons). I don't notice input lag at all on my led monitor, will I have issues with an LED TV?

None that i´ve noticed, i have a LED and i love the colors and brightness of it, i don´t get all the love plasmas get, i dislike the reflective surface and lack of pop to the colors, but you know what they say about opinions. ( not hating, it´s just my particular opinion)

spannicus

Inspired by this thread and with next gen on the horizon, I decided to upgrade from my 40" Samsung 720p lcd to a panasonic plasma.
Looking around for deals, sears had the 50" st50 for $799. Called best buy and they have 1 left in stock. Get there guy looks around for about 10 minutes, nothing.

Welp seems they dont have any panasonic plasmas and wont be getting any more until the new line ships.. After talking a bit seems they have an open box 55" st50 priced at $1200. Honoring the original price match they drop $200 off, so for $1000 I got a 55" st50.

Beside the increase in size the biggest difference that popped out to me is how fluid everything looks. Its absolutely breath taking the difference in quality from my old set.

Congrats on your new baby. I used to live off of Best Buys open box deals

Nothing beats OLED. But not just any old OLED, this badass mofo right here.

qMexm5N.jpg

Sharp LED Aquos LC-40SE1

20100223102650_img1_83.jpg

40" 1080p

I got this TV just last Sunday and it will be delivered This coming Saturday.
I got it used, for a really cheap deal. It sounds like it's not bad, but not great from the reviews but I just wanted a big TV to use as my PC monitor/movie watching.

I searched around but can't find the equivalent North American model. Anyone know?

torontoml

Everyone keeps saying Panasonic plasma, is the Samsung that much worse? As in the Panasonic VT series and the 8000 series for Samsung. There seems to be a significant price difference between each companies top models.

Melchiah

So much wrong here.

Change your settings to eliminate the input lag. Image retention can happen, but it's not permanent, be careful and you're fine. i played like 300 hours of SWTOR in 5 weeks on my Panny Plasma with only minor issues. In full color programming you couldn't see any of the image retention and it was gone within a couple hours.

There is no best TV type, just get whatever works for you.

Also wrong.

Those are exactly the reasons why I personally wouldn't even consider plasmas. I shouldn't be forced to be careful with technology, that's supposed to provide care-free entertainment for me. Nor should I be forced to live with minor issues; image retention that may or may not stay for a while after gaming, when I'd like to watch a movie. I'll always choose the easier way, eventhough it might not be precisely on the same quality level.

That being said, the difference between their picture quality and input lag is minimal nowadays, so saying someone makes a wrong decision if they don't buy plasma is kinda harsh and untrue. I bet many people outside this forum wouldn't even notice the difference between them.

LEDs tend to be more expensive though, but IMHO the pros outweight the cons.

spannicus

Same. I kind of want a new TV but the upgrades wouldnt be a big jump from my Panny Plasma. Maybe I should just go for a projector or something.

Go for the projector since you already have a good TV, its hard to go back once you go projector though, especially CoD multiplayer hooked to home theater or a racing sim. You can never have too many toys.

Mastperf

There is little discernable difference at 60fps from what I've tested. Temporal resolution is quite high.
I've found the opposite in my tests. It varies by content, but there's still noticeably more blur on lcd than plasma and especially crt. The actual motion resolution test results back this up with more than twice the motion resolution on average. It's actually likely more than that since most lcd's seem to be only capable of 300 lines of motion resolution with motion interpolation disabled.

There is no GT this year, so by Fall you'll be looking at the ST60 or VT60 as comparable models. FWIW, Panasonic's are also no longer the defactco gaming displays either beginning with the XX50's. They increased lag significantly over prior model years, with ~40ms of lag in Game Mode (decent speed, but horribly inaccurate PQ--lots of processing enhancements locked on with no user toggles, very low and dynamic gamma). All other modes are at least 56-60+ms. For comparison the XX30's were ~32ms in all modes and the X10's were in the low 20's. The combination of low lag and PQ made Panasonic's the go-to recommendation, but unless they make significant improvements with the XX60's, I'd also start considering Samsung's PDP's. Their larger screens have had very similar PQ the past couple years while also offering more accurate Game and PC modes. You will have to check detailed reviews and impressions once all the new models are out.

Bah, is this true? I ordered a P50VT50 last night since it's supposed to be the best TV of 2012. I figured it would be great for gaming.

Reclaimer

Bah, is this true? I ordered a P50VT50 last night since it's supposed to be the best TV of 2012. I figured it would be great for gaming.

My VT30 is incredible for gaming, with very very low lag last I did the photo test (30ms or less while in THX/Custom mode with all sorts of nice calibration, game mode is about the same with less calibration options.) I haven't heard that gaming performance has been decreased in any later released models.

If anyone is making claims like that, they should post a source. (I doubt they've personally done a lag photo test on every new Panny display...)

Don't worry, you will LOVE your VT50. :)

scurker

So I won't be buying until this fall so things will change, but is this what you guys are recommending?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...HDTV/5025164.p?id=1218599349389&skuId=5025164

For $1500 (which is right at my budget) it looks amazing. 3D and internet ready.

I just picked up the 60" GT50 for $1700 a few weeks ago and it's amazing. Both the Wii U and PS3 looks pretty amazing on it, so I don't have any complaints. The xx60 models are supposed to come out this month, so if you can find stock you can get a pretty decent deal on xx50.

Are you sure about this? I think that depends on the model. Apparently the ST50 has about 16ms of lag, while the GT50 has 25-30ms of lag in game mode. The older models are supposed to be faster, but I don't think that's a significant enough of a difference.

Here's some of the stuff that I found:
GT50: 24-30ms
GT50: 24-30ms, ST50: 16ms
GT50: 30ms

Honestly, I don't feel like 1-2 frames of input lag is going to make that much of a difference, but I'm also not a twitch gamer. I'm very happy with my GT50 and don't have any lag complaints.

Melchiah

Are you sure about this? I think that depends on the model. Apparently the ST50 has about 16ms of lag, while the GT50 has 25-30ms of lag in game mode. The older models are supposed to be faster, but I don't think that's a significant enough of a difference.

Honestly, I don't feel like 1-2 frames of input lag is going to make that much of a difference, but I'm also not a twitch gamer. I'm very happy with my GT50 and don't have any lag complaints.

Well that's not very different from some of the LCD/LED Bravia's 30-40ms input lag in game mode.

Sharp LED Aquos LC-40SE1

20100223102650_img1_83.jpg

40" 1080p

I got this TV just last Sunday and it will be delivered This coming Saturday.
I got it used, for a really cheap deal. It sounds like it's not bad, but not great from the reviews but I just wanted a big TV to use as my PC monitor/movie watching.

I searched around but can't find the equivalent North American model. Anyone know?

i have a 46" sharp LED Quatron (the ones with the yellow color band along with the standard RGB)

For non-gaming quality, its one of the best tv's ive seen. My best friend who is also a huge gamer came over to my house and bought one right after he saw mine. Its so crisp and clear that it some people think its actually 3d at first.. it just looks so clean.

as to the gaming aspect, there can be some input lag depending on the mode you have it set in. There is a game mode that fixes the input lag but the pic quality decreases. However, i have messed with some of the other modes and got it to have no lag with a good picture quality, just not as good as if it was on the standard mode.

Reallink

I just picked up the 60" GT50 for $1700 a few weeks ago and it's amazing. Both the Wii U and PS3 looks pretty amazing on it, so I don't have any complaints. The xx60 models are supposed to come out this month, so if you can find stock you can get a pretty decent deal on xx50.

Yea I'm reasonably confident. Those are cloned timer tests you posted, which are notorious for wild variations in timing. I'm not going to say the dedicated lag testing device is bulletproof just yet, but I'd be inclined to trust it over cloned timers for now. All of the XX50 Panasonics seem to report ~40ms in Game Mode. The EU variants may even be a little slower at ~45-47ms (ST50, VT50, UT50). AVForums went back and updated most of their reviews to reflect the more accurate timings, but it seems they missed that old GT50 one you linked. Remember those values are in Game Mode, the more accurate modes are at least 1 frame slower, possibly more.

scurker

Yea I'm reasonably confident. Those are cloned timer tests you posted, which are notorious for wild variations in timing. I'm not going to say the dedicated lag testing device is bulletproof just yet, but I'd be inclined to trust it over cloned timers for now. All of the XX50 Panasonics seem to report ~40ms in Game Mode. The EU variants may even be a little slower at ~45-47ms (ST50, VT50, UT50). AVForums went back and updated most of their reviews to reflect the more accurate timings, but it seems they missed that old GT50 one you linked. Remember those values are in Game Mode, the more accurate modes are at least 1 frame slower, possibly more.

Gotcha. I've been playing in custom mode and I haven't really noticed any extreme lag. I'd understand that less lag is better but my GT50 is certainly within my tolerance levels for what I play.

krae_man

I ended up grabbing this bad boy.

It didn't come with any glasses, but thanks to the Playstation 3D TV tanking, the glasses for that are super cheap and they work on all Sony 3D TV's.

LukeTim

DLP Projector

4286343785_4366ba7059_b.jpg

4287179504_a3e75cdc1c_b.jpg

4287050052_f9bb3a42eb_b.jpg

4287007328_96b3419222_b.jpg

4287146860_c3ec386c29_b.jpg

I would totally go for a projector if I could afford a 1080p LED lit one.

I couldn't justify the expense on a projector where I am going to have to replace the really expensive bulb all the time.

Projectors are where it's at, though. Definitely the best choice, if viable.

I would totally go for a projector if I could afford a 1080p LED lit one.

I couldn't justify the expense on a projector where I am going to have to replace the really expensive bulb all the time.

Projectors are where it's at, though. Definitely the best choice, if viable.

Owning a projector for the last ~6 years I tend to have to replace the bulb every 2 years.

chixdiggit

Am I the only one that prefers LED over Plasma? I bought a Panasonic Plasma last year and it just does not hold up to my Samsung LED. The plasma has better blacks but that's about it. The color and sharpness on the LED kick the shit out of the plasma. Do people champion the plasma because of it's cheaper price? I mean I did pay a bit more for the LED but reading all these threads I was expecting the cheaper plasma to be better.

Top Bottom