• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Bought the 55" VT50 this weekend. Having it shipped from Amazon, but I'm really excited and can't wait for it to get here.

I have this exact plasma sir and you are buying one of the best TV's ever produced. I was on the fence about LCD or Plasma until I saw the VT50 in all it's glory. All confusion was put to rest. IMO, this Plasma smoked the other TV's in the same price range. You are wise young one...very wise indeed.

herod

I still have a kuro. Waiting for OLED before I upgrade. I really don't care as much for 4k. But the potential advantages of OLED blow anything else out of the water.

OLED has the Plasma IR problem in spades. I don't see any advantages.

pswii60

I have this exact plasma sir and you are buying one of the best TV's ever produced. I was on the fence about LCD or Plasma until I saw the VT50 in all it's glory. All confusion was put to rest. IMO, this Plasma smoked the other TV's in the same price range. You are wise young one...very wise indeed.
Well, I have a VT65. So what does that make me?

Mileena

Banned
Is a 50 inch ST30 still a good buy? Found one for €499 yesterday.

I've got a 42 and it's the best TV I've ever used. I've poured almost 300 hours into MH3U in about a months time and nothing burned in yet. Not to mention it's just adorable comparing the Wii U controller's screen to the ST30. Night and fucking day.

Ocaso

Is a 50 inch ST30 still a good buy? Found one for €499 yesterday.

Put it in cinema mode. Is it too dark for you? If the answer is yes then don't buy it as increasing the light output screws up gamma and color accuracy. If the answer is no then consider it. It has half the lag of the new ST60, decent blacks and good colors.

LaneDS

I bought a Panasonic TC-L39EM60 last week and am returning it after finding it functions very poorly as a monitor (I think input lag makes the mouse feel very sluggish).

Anyone have TV recommendations with excellent input lag that work out alright as a monitor?

TedNindo

Never had any problems with image retention on my Kuro.

The advantages of oled? Potentially near unlimited contrast. Unmatched black levels. Response time that is 1/1000th that of lcd. Wider viewing angles.

You know how dark games aren't realistic because we perceive darkness differently in real life? Our eyes see far more in the dark then current tvs can display. Oled could make it possible to recreate far closer to real darkness levels in games.

sunnz

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-...review_picture-quality-and-conclusions_Page-3

This Bravia has best in class input lag of 7ms :)O) but it's not cheap at £2400 ($2800 in the US, possibly $2500 with discounts). It also has the added bonus of being an awesome TV, but damn expensive though.

Ahh SONY, make incredible TVs, have way too high of a price.

Yes they are probably worth it, but still way too high to consider.

I want to wait for OLED but I know they too will be expensive, well the good ones anyway.

4k I don't really care about for obvious reasons ( support)

pswii60

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-...review_picture-quality-and-conclusions_Page-3

This Bravia has best in class input lag of 7ms :)O) but it's not cheap at £2400 ($2800 in the US, possibly $2500 with discounts). It also has the added bonus of being an awesome TV, but damn expensive though.
Wait for a respected reviews site like HDTVTest or AVForums to do an input lag test first before jumping in. I'd personally never go back to LED/LCD for gaming due to the motion blur in 60fps games. It's a night and day difference when you play the same 60fps games on a plasma.

Hofmann

The HX850 comes out quite good in reviews. I read that Samsungs still have quite some clouding problems. So I ask, Sony HX850 or Samsung 7000 series? How bad are those subtitle problems?

You could quote me - I would answer you earlier.

I haven't seen Samsung outside the store, so I won't help you here, but from the reviews I read Sony beats it without much problem.

And uneven light distribution is due to edge-lit technology with local dimming - you can turn it off of course, but your black level will suffer - so if you can't afford some high end full array LED TV you have to get used to it or buy plasma. From my experience it's not a problem, when you don't watch movies with subs. When you do, especially in dark scenes, when the subs appear the part of the screen ''pops'' with brightness more than the rest. I found the way to overcome this issue by changing the way how subs are displayed with some level of transparency, so they won't be pure white on a dark background.

Every technology has some advantages and disadvantages - I really hate plasma flickering for example. There's no perfect solution:)

So the internet's obsession with plasma continues.

I'm never buying a plasma again. And I say this as an owner of a Panasonic GT30.

It's either Sony XBRs, Sharp large panels or front projector. Done with plasmas.

So the internet's obsession with plasma continues.

I'm never buying a plasma again. And I say this as an owner of a Panasonic GT30.

It's either Sony XBRs, Sharp large panels or front projector. Done with plasmas.

So you're done with the best flat panel displays available? Ok.

4 years plus, and still on my Kuro. Only think I got in contention is the Panasonic ZT60 for my upgrade (the VT60 which just released, already got reviewed as reference picture quality this year just like last years predessor the VT50 and the ZT60 is supposed to be even a step beyond that!) Not interested in 4k due to real lack of content for a while and OLED mainstream is still a bit ways off too for affordability. I'll probably last me another 5 years before a jump to 4k.

I'm waiting for the high end shootout tests with the VT60 (Panasonic), ZT60 (Panasonic), F8500 (Samsung), and of course the king, 9G Kuro Elite.

quest

Not Banned from OT
They are NOT the best flat panel display. If all you care about is black levels... then yes. If you want overall picture quality... no!

Blacks/viewing angles/motion resolution I could go on and on. The only things LCD does better is whites/brightness and use less energy. The motion resolution on LCD is enough to turn me off it completely ick.

quest

Not Banned from OT
4 years plus, and still on my Kuro. Only think I got in contention is the Panasonic ZT60 for my upgrade (the VT60 which just released, already got reviewed as reference picture quality this year just like last years predessor the VT50 and the ZT60 is supposed to be even a step beyond that!) Not interested in 4k due to real lack of content for a while and OLED mainstream is still a bit ways off too for affordability. I'll probably last me another 5 years before a jump to 4k.

I'm waiting for the high end shootout tests with the VT60 (Panasonic), ZT60 (Panasonic), F8500 (Samsung), and of course the king, 9G Kuro Elite.

Can't wait to get me a 65 inch ZT60 then I''' be set on TV for a very long time. I'll move the current 55 inch GT30 to the bedroom.

Blacks/viewing angles/motion resolution I could go on and on. The only things LCD does better is whites/brightness and use less energy. The motion resolution on LCD is enough to turn me off it completely ick.

Please show proof that LCDs of the past few years are still suffering from viewing angles and motion resolution. Where is the empirical data?

Also, you can pretend all you want but plasma has it's own issues. The biggest ones being the ABL, and dithering artifacts.

Can't wait to get me a 65 inch ZT60 then I''' be set on TV for a very long time. I'll move the current 55 inch GT30 to the bedroom.

Yeah, for me it's the size that I'm really upgrading for; from 50" to 65", otherwise I wouldn't even think about another tv. And the first review of the ZT60 has me excited that Panasonic got a worthy successor to the Kuro for much less than what they were 5 years ago!

So you're done with the best flat panel displays available? Ok.

Best. LOL. The only plasma I would even consider is the ZT range from Panasonic, but that has a huge pricetag on it. Samsung's 75" looks sublime this year and Sony's 4K sets are absolutely amazing in person, the colours are just a cut above everything else. If one were to buy the absolute best in class, then it's last year's Sharp Elite, this years ZT, the X9/W9 from Sony or the 75" LED from Samsung. The W9 probably has best bang for buck out of all those listed, but it tops out at 55" which is much smaller than the 75" Samsung.

The Sharp Elite is probably the best overall TV, but it's very costly and it still has small issues, but nothing like what plasma still has, burn-in, DSE, dithering, banding, buzz, flickering, terrible light output. Fuck all of that shit, I returned a VT50 last year in favour of a 55" HX850 and never looked back. I'll be waiting diligently for the 2014 Sony/Samsung 4K LCD/LED line up thank you. If Sony had HDMI 2.0 ports and no ugly or detachable speakers on this year's X9 I would definitely be considering it, with those speakers and no HDMI 2.0, I will wait for next year's model, I just hope they keep the TriLuminous tech or buy QDVision. OLED colours with no burn-in...

Takuan

I'm on the market for a new TV and god damn it, nothing is flawless. I was totally game for the new Panasonic ST60 line of plasma displays, but apparently it has pretty bad input lag. No problem, I figured; I'll look into LEDs instead, because I can deal with "poor" blacks and viewing angles. I've never owned plasma and I like my existing LCD displays.

WRONG(.gif). I looked into two models: Sharp's 60" LE640U and Sony's 55" HX850, but they both perform poorly in input lag tests.

So now, I'm waiting for Canadian Costcos to get Panasonic's S64 models in stores, which is purported to be an S60 with the anti-glare filter that makes the ST60 such a good performer in ample lighting, and is great for gaming. But I have no idea if or when Canada is actually getting them.

To be frank, I don't know if I'll even be able to feel the lag, but I sure as hell don't want to have to buy one to know.

oneils

Best. LOL. The only plasma I would even consider is the ZT range from Panasonic, but that has a huge pricetag on it. Samsung's 75" looks sublime this year and Sony's 4K sets are absolutely amazing in person, the colours are just a cut above everything else. If one were to buy the absolute best in class, then it's last year's Sharp Elite, this years ZT, the X9/W9 from Sony or the 75" LED from Samsung. The W9 probably has best bang for buck out of all those listed, but it tops out at 55" which is much smaller than the 75" Samsung.

The Sharp Elite is probably the best overall TV, but it's very costly and it still has small issues, but nothing like what plasma still has, burn-in, DSE, dithering, banding, buzz, flickering, terrible light output. Fuck all of that shit, I returned a VT50 last year in favour of a 55" HX850 and never looked back. I'll be waiting diligently for the 2014 Sony/Samsung 4K LCD/LED line up thank you. If Sony had HDMI 2.0 ports and no ugly or detachable speakers on this year's X9 I would definitely be considering it, with those speakers and no HDMI 2.0, I will wait for next year's model, I just hope they keep the TriLuminous tech or buy QDVision. OLED colours with no burn-in...

What is the hx850 like for gaming?

I'm on the market for a new TV and god damn it, nothing is flawless. I was totally game for the new Panasonic ST60 line of plasma displays, but apparently it has pretty bad input lag. No problem, I figured; I'll look into LEDs instead, because I can deal with "poor" blacks and viewing angles. I've never owned plasma and I like my existing LCD displays.

WRONG(.gif). I looked into two models: Sharp's 60" LE640U and Sony's 55" HX850, but they both perform poorly in input lag tests.

So now, I'm waiting for Canadian Costcos to get Panasonic's S64 models in stores, which is purported to be an S60 with the anti-glare filter that makes the ST60 such a good performer in ample lighting, and is great for gaming. But I have no idea if or when Canada is actually getting them.

To be frank, I don't know if I'll even be able to feel the lag, but I sure as hell don't want to have to buy one to know.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get info on lag for a lot of tv models. I'll just browse places like AVS forums to get info but your sort of limited by the main models.

Even Panasonic's mid tier ST60 has .001 fl black level. That is equal to the 9G Kuro, just to put it in perspective.

The problems you mentioned may be real, but they have nothing to do with picture quality. Dithering and DSE are not visible unless you have your face up to the screen. I don't see why you would want a shit ton of light output either. Any TV looks its best in a dim environment where you don't need insane brightness unless you like burning your eyes.

An-Det

I'm in the same boat, was waiting for a while for the ST60 and it's pretty much perfect for the money, and then reports of the input lag came in. I plan to try to take one of my consoles down to best buy to hook it up and try it myself before I completely disregard it. I've been gaming on a Samsung lcd since 2007 (lnt 3253h), so I have no modern reference for if I would be bothered by it. And there is literally nothing else available that would be in the same league as the ST60's if it weren't for that one critical problem. Man I wish they brought over the GT60's this year, that would have fixed the problem.

I have a Hitachi 720p/1080i plasma I bought used off a friend a couple years ago when he moved. Input lag is bad and the picture is just OK. I've wasted days trying to tweak everything to make it look better. I think I'll be going LED next. And of course 1080p.

Picked up a 50'' S60 last week. Pretty fantastic so far, plus it was more in a my budget than a st60. Just wanted great picture quality without adding costs from 3d etc. Also haven't had input lag problems like st60 people have reported.

Tho, thank god I have controlled lighting because it seems like it could be pretty reflective.

I have a Hitachi 720p/1080i plasma I bought used off a friend a couple years ago when he moved. Input lag is bad and the picture is just OK. I've wasted days trying to tweak everything to make it look better. I think I'll be going LED next. And of course 1080p.

Make sure you don't get a poor LCD either then. Varying quality between models is absolutely massive regardless of LCD or plasma even among it's own brand. Quality isn't par across the board just because of the tech alone like I ain't exactly interested in a LG plasma compared to some Samung and Panasonic's plasma.

Durante

In terms of responsiveness (a metric particularly relevant for gaming):
DLP > OLED > Plasma >>> LCD

Plasma, OLED and DLP are all much faster than LCD in terms of response times. DLP displays have the additional advantage of never being sample-and-hold type, which makes them appear even more responsive.

I found a Samsung UN40EH6030 on sale here and I'm tempted to buy it.

I don't want more than one screen in my room, so it needs to serve both as a regular TV for gaming and watching, and as a PC monitor, but I'm not sure if a 40' TV is going to be good at that. Any opinions?

Is the lack of a DVI input a bad sign? That's the cheapest active 3D display I've come across, and people say good things about it, but they only mention PS3 gaming and not in a PC and it only has 2 HDMI inputs...

Stealth Edit: I forgot to mention that I plan on putting it in the wall, that is about 120cm from my head when at the PC.

In terms of responsiveness (a metric particularly relevant for gaming):
DLP > OLED > Plasma >>> LCD

Plasma, OLED and DLP are all much faster than LCD in terms of response times. DLP displays have the additional advantage of never being sample-and-hold type, which makes them appear even more responsive.

If there's one thing DLP can't be beat in, it's price per square inch. You can get mammoth sized displays for stupidly low prices. There's 65" going for $600 at best buy right now...

watership

Owner of a plasma for 5 years. Retention is better than burn in. And on the worst problem day where I left a weather app on for 3 days.. can be fix with the 'ir wipe' for 10 seconds or full screen HD for 1 min. So, OLED, if your ready you are mine. If not. Plasma next year again for me.

Ocaso

One thing I don't see mentioned, but plasmas also tend to have better scaling of sub-full-resolution content than LCDs. For a gamer interested in plugging in older systems, they are a better choice for this reason as well.

Burn-in issues are overrated based on my experience. Transient image retention will happen, but it's really a minor knock on the technology given it's impermanent and often only noticeable if you specifically look for it. The same is true for dithering which is generally not noticeable at normal viewing distances, while buzzing which is usually not audible over the TV audio.

Edit: For those interested in display lag data, this website exists, though I'm not sure of how credible it is.

Top Bottom