• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

What's happening with OLED's? ... they seem to have been around for ages now [granted not as long as plasma's] but the market uptake is still fairly low. Are manufacturing costs still too high?

Touch wood I've never had a lamp die on me, if it did that's only £100 + VAT for 2-3 years worth of big screen gaming/movies.

Those are some fantastic shots of Coraline above btw.

My VT30 is incredible for gaming, with very very low lag last I did the photo test (30ms or less while in THX/Custom mode with all sorts of nice calibration, game mode is about the same with less calibration options.) I haven't heard that gaming performance has been decreased in any later released models.

If anyone is making claims like that, they should post a source. (I doubt they've personally done a lag photo test on every new Panny display...)

Don't worry, you will LOVE your VT50. :)

You are very right, I love it. Been playing on it all weekend, it actually makes me want to replay everything I own on PS3, just to enjoy the amazing PQ of this thing. Seriously, I can't believe I didn't buy a plasma sooner!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Picked up a 50" GT50 last month.
Blown away by the picture quality, massive upgrade my 5 yr old previous Panasonic PY70.
The Smart TV functionality isn't too bad either.

Am I the only one that prefers LED over Plasma? I bought a Panasonic Plasma last year and it just does not hold up to my Samsung LED. The plasma has better blacks but that's about it. The color and sharpness on the LED kick the shit out of the plasma. Do people champion the plasma because of it's cheaper price? I mean I did pay a bit more for the LED but reading all these threads I was expecting the cheaper plasma to be better.

Nope, I purposefully chose a HX850 over the Plasmas being recommended here after a lot of research and it's clearly the better TV for me.

I hope the people asking for advice and stuff on here don't rely just on NeoGAF for advice because there is a lot more dedicated channels to learn about this stuff on the internet. I feel like the GT50 stuff is the 'safe' choice in the broad sweep but people need to do more research on huge purchases like this.

Dred-I

Neo Member
Speaking of Panasonic plasmas, I'm thinking of picking up the $700 P55UT50 from Costco. Anyone have experience with the UT50 line? The input lag DB puts the 50" model at 39ms, which is good enough for me.
I bought this a month ago and just got it priced adjusted to $699. Great tv! Lag is ok, i have been gaming on a crt hd tv and a crt monitor for the last 2 years so it took a bit of adjusting but personally it was more to the size than to the lag which i dont really notice anymore. I think inherently ALL tvs have issues but for me the brightness of lcds, edge bleed and pixelated movement make me love my plasma espeically at the price. Only downfall of this particular model are its slight buzz in all white screens and its uber reflective glass panel(it jas no anti reflective screen) but in a dark room the no anti reflection screen gives pop thats nicer than the st50 my buddy has(his looks nicer on a bright room). This model is harder to tweak due to its lack of menu calabration options but the stock pic is great regardless. Be aware of the downfalls and you will be happy at the price. When looking price to quality and features (3d, ok lag, deep blacks) and i dont think u can go wrong!

Mashing

Bought the 55" VT50 this weekend. Having it shipped from Amazon, but I'm really excited and can't wait for it to get here.

zoukka

My midrange plasma has destroyed any LCD tv I've ever seen. The image is so much more smooth and pleasant. But there are a lot of people who are used to burning their eyes on overly bright and sharp displays and for them the dimmer image of a plasma will look bad...

But they are ignorant :)

Falch

So I'm looking into transforming my attic in a home theater, and I'm looking at different projectors.

My question is, should I get a 720p or 1080p projector? A good 720p projector is still considerably cheaping than a 1080p. I'm leaning towards the BenQ W1070 (1080p, about 900 euro). Is that worth it compared to a good 720p projector?

So I'm looking into transforming my attic in a home theater, and I'm looking at different projectors.

My question is, should I get a 720p or 1080p projector? A good 720p projector is still considerably cheaping than a 1080p. I'm leaning towards the BenQ W1070 (1080p, about 900 euro). Is that worth it compared to a good 720p projector?

720p is ok if you are on a tight budget, need cheap 3D and sit pretty far back. For movies there's not a great deal of improvement in going 1080p, a bit of aliasing on text/credits.

Room treatment makes or breaks projection, go for dark walls and ceiling if you are looking to get the most out of it.

These look fantastic. I have a light controlled room right now and was looking for a projector. What model is this?
4 y/o Epson Home Cinema 1080UB

MG3-1_zps004266b2.jpg

MG3-3_zpsc1df9a3d.jpg

MG3-4_zps5120dcb0.jpg

MG3-5_zps0ca813e2.jpg

MMG3-6_zps40394459.jpg

MG3-7_zps1c545f97.jpg

MG3-2_zpsd7f343d9.jpg

MG3-10_zps84e5ec6e.jpg

MG3-8_zps445abb84.jpg

MG3-11_zps7a1b554a.jpg

MG3-14_zps2166417f.jpg

Prometheus

Prometheus1_zps88cf6a40.jpg

prometheus2_zps86e90bc8.jpg

prometheus3_zpsc15b790e.jpg

Plasma sets blow Led sets away! The only Led set that has comparable picture quality is the Sharp Elite. But they are way overpriced! OLED will be the future once they come down in price.

SJRB

Gold Member
I always thought plasma screens should be avoided for gaming because of heavy ghosting and risk of burn-in?

Or is that a thing of previous generations of plasmas? Because I'm looking into a new tv too [I'm getting tired of my 7-year-old 21-inch LCD] and I've pretty much only been focussing on LED tv's.

zoukka

I always thought plasma screens should be avoided for gaming because of heavy ghosting and risk of burn-in?

Or is that a thing of previous generations of plasmas? Because I'm looking into a new tv too [I'm getting tired of my 7-year-old 21-inch LCD] and I've pretty much only been focussing on LED tv's.

Well all possible ghosting is only visible on a black image. I sometimes notice it when I turn on tv and a movie immediately and before the movie starts I can see faint ghosting of the PS3 interface. It quickly disappears and you cannot notice it once the movie/game starts.

Never had burn in.

Burn-in isn't a problem anymore. Modern plasmas move the image around a few pixels every so often. Ghosting is a bit of an issue with games because of HUDs. But it goes away pretty quickly.

impirius

I bought this a month ago and just got it priced adjusted to $699. Great tv! Lag is ok, i have been gaming on a crt hd tv and a crt monitor for the last 2 years so it took a bit of adjusting but personally it was more to the size than to the lag which i dont really notice anymore. I think inherently ALL tvs have issues but for me the brightness of lcds, edge bleed and pixelated movement make me love my plasma espeically at the price. Only downfall of this particular model are its slight buzz in all white screens and its uber reflective glass panel(it jas no anti reflective screen) but in a dark room the no anti reflection screen gives pop thats nicer than the st50 my buddy has(his looks nicer on a bright room). This model is harder to tweak due to its lack of menu calabration options but the stock pic is great regardless. Be aware of the downfalls and you will be happy at the price. When looking price to quality and features (3d, ok lag, deep blacks) and i dont think u can go wrong!

Thanks so much for that writeup! Time to see just how much I can control the lighting in the game room...

rmrivera

Based partially on this thread I picked up an ST50 over the weekend and i have done no serious viewing on this yet but from the little I've used it I'm already in love. Since day one with my old tv (Samsung 46" LED) I couldn't stand the flashlighting and clouding on the display. Got to the point where i just bought a new monitor with my pc and would do my serious gaming on that because it bothered me so much during night scenes.

Another small thing I like is that the built in Netflix app is just like the PS3 one. That has always been my favorite way to navigate Netflix and know I can do it without the noise that comes from my first gen PS3.

Raistlin

I've found the opposite in my tests. It varies by content, but there's still noticeably more blur on lcd than plasma and especially crt. The actual motion resolution test results back this up with more than twice the motion resolution on average. It's actually likely more than that since most lcd's seem to be only capable of 300 lines of motion resolution with motion interpolation disabled.
I was talking about LCoS, not LCD panels.

The problem with most consumer LCD used for TV's is they have pretty craptacular response times. So even as you lower the hold times*, temporal resolution still ends up biting due to the actual physical blurring that occurs. Granted there are higher-end displays that do quite well in this regard.

*Note - To further lower the hold times, I'm assuming the usage of a 120Hz display with contrast-adjusted/black frame insertion since it doesn't impact latency. It helps with a bit with 30fps content, but the improvement is more pronounced with 60fps.

Heysoos

I'm in the market for a new TV. I was going to get a 400ish 40" hdtv. Then I saw this one: Samsung PN51E530. Are Plasmas really that much better for gaming & is this a good buy? I wouldn't mind spending an extra 200~ ish from my original budget on this TV if it's that much better than LCDs/LEDs at my original price range.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i am totally in love with the Sony Bravia KDL55HX850

Yay or Nay?

Main usage: PS3/4/PC hooked up to it and blurays.

yes, i am interested in 3D.

madmackem

Im in the market for a new one, i had my eye on samsungs flagship model this year but input tests put that at 42ms lag when renaming the input to pc i dont think thats low enough for me coming from a 16ms sony. I might hang fire and see what this years pannys come in at.

Angelcurio

I'm searching for a good 46" Led tv, so any help regarding models with the least amount of input lag and best IQ would be greatly apreciated. I'm quite interested in Samsung or Sony models, since LG products have a lot of bad reputation of buy low quality and braking esily.

I wonder if contrast levels on Led TV's have finally catched up to seen on Plasma TVs. The IQ of Plasmas next to LCD tv's is like a night and day difference. Too bad that Plasma TVs are somewhat hard to come by over here, and its power consumption also worries me a little.

My vote is for HD front projectors. I've always loved a "big" screen. If you've got the space I'd recommend that.

I'd post pictures from my setup, but I'm at work.

As for normal displays, I'd say plasma if it's in a light controlled room.

Yay or Nay?

Massive Yay, this is the exact TV I bought two weeks (three weeks?) ago and it's fucking beautiful.

MAX PAYMENT

Plasmas. I worked at best buy for a year selling TVs, and trough my own rigorous research an testing, I went with plasmas. When you get a plasma and bring it home, the image retention will freak you out a bit. I took one overnight session with a plasma tv break in app off the Xbox marketplace and image retention has since not been an issue.

JB1981

Burn-in isn't a problem anymore. Modern plasmas move the image around a few pixels every so often. Ghosting is a bit of an issue with games because of HUDs. But it goes away pretty quickly.

Man, I see people say this all the time and it's just has not been the case with the plasma TV that I own. I own a Panasonic PZ85U 50" plasma TV. I have had the set for around 2-3 years now. I have been playing games on it virtually every night for the last few months. My mother also watches TV on it during the day and sometimes watches 4:3 material. The thick black vertical bars on the side seem to be permanently "burned-in" to the set. I have been monitoring them for a few days now and the lines from the bars are still there. I am hoping they will go away with some regular use but it isn't looking very good. I also get a massive amount of "image retention" depending on what game I am playing. And it really doesn't take very long for image retention to happen at all. I'm talking like after a matter of minutes! I don't have the TV running in Torch Mode either. I have it well calibrated in Cinema mode w/ Contrast dialed down very low, by most standards. I love the set and probably wouldn't trade it up for an LCD but image retention/burn-in is very real on my set.

You guys are ridiculous witch hunters. It's almost as bad as 4chan or Reddit.

He has one or two pictures of an unreleased game and you immediately conclude piracy and just wait to get him banned.

Because why the hell would we want to be reasonable and assume it might be a YOUTUBE video which is the only reason any of you even know what it looks like.

For all you know it's just a giant picture he found online.

But instead of looking at all the countless possibilities as to what it could be, everyone dog piles on the most damning one.

That's really sad to see what it supposed to be a community, leap at the chance to bring one of their own down.

An-Det

I'm mostly set on getting the Panasonic TC-P60ST60 when that releases next month. Asuming the EPP discount holds I'll get it for just under $1500 (though hopefully I can pm it at best buy for better a better warranty and delivery). I've been running a 32" 720p lcd since 2007, so it'll be a huge upgrade for me.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60ST60

Korezo said:
Even though Plasmas do have some of the best accurate colors I've seen, these new ones like the Panasonic Gt/vt and top of the line Samsung all have terrible input lag and terrible image retention. Last year I bought the pany Gt30 50" and had problems with image retention, anything that appeared on the screen would automatically stick instantly. The store I bought it from didn't want to exchange and pany didn't want to replace, in the end I just called my credit card and explained issue and they gave me a refund and I stayed with a free tv. I doubt plasmas are good for gaming anymore.

That sounds like an isolated incident. I would like to think that later model plasmas already addressed image retention issues already.

I have a panasonic LED, and it's real good. A lot better than what I used to have (insignia).

Hofmann

Yay or Nay?

It's one of the best LEDs out there and the lag in the game mode is very low.
But watch out if you're gonna watch subtitled movies with backlight on. You may encounter brightness pop ups in dark scenes on part of the screen where the subtitles are.

Man, I see people say this all the time and it's just has not been the case with the plasma TV that I own. I own a Panasonic PZ85U 50" plasma TV. I have had the set for around 2-3 years now. I have been playing games on it virtually every night for the last few months. My mother also watches TV on it during the day and sometimes watches 4:3 material. The thick black vertical bars on the side seem to be permanently "burned-in" to the set. I have been monitoring them for a few days now and the lines from the bars are still there. I am hoping they will go away with some regular use but it isn't looking very good. I also get a massive amount of "image retention" depending on what game I am playing. And it really doesn't take very long for image retention to happen at all. I'm talking like after a matter of minutes! I don't have the TV running in Torch Mode either. I have it well calibrated in Cinema mode w/ Contrast dialed down very low, by most standards. I love the set and probably wouldn't trade it up for an LCD but image retention/burn-in is very real on my set.

I've got a Samsung PN50C550 which came out in 2010 and I watch pillarboxed content from netflix all the time without any issues.

If someone got a new Samsung set right now I'm pretty confident it wouldn't have any of those issues either.

The HX850 comes out quite good in reviews. I read that Samsungs still have quite some clouding problems. So I ask, Sony HX850 or Samsung 7000 series? How bad are those subtitle problems?

Yesterday, I purchased a 47'' Sony W802A LCD-LED tv. So far, I'm really liking it, it has Passive 3d and it looks really nice in motion. I know it's not a Plasma but I've never had issues with LCDs and gaming. I understand Plasma's are better for gaming, though.

One thing I would like help with is the color settings but I cannot find anything online, yet. They're relatively new so that's probably why.

Has anyone else bought this tv or is thinking about buying it?

TedNindo

I still have a kuro. Waiting for OLED before I upgrade. I really don't care as much for 4k. But the potential advantages of OLED blow anything else out of the water.

Duxxy3

Sticking with my monitor for the time being. Plasma still burns in, so that takes it off the table completely. A 1080p IPS is possible, but i'm strapped for cash. Best choice for me is what i already have.

Mithos

Sticking with my 'HD-CRT' (Philips 32pw9551) until hell freezes over, every time I see PS3/360 games on a HDTV I hate what I see compared to my CRT.

When it eventually breaks I'm going to be the saddest panda in the universe.

Top Bottom