• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Kainazzo

I haven't done much research in years, but are LCDs/plasmas at the point where they'll easily last ~30 years with light use? Last I checked they were good for ~7 before losing half their contrast, might be a lot better now. I have a good CRT for old systems that should last me another ~35 years, and I'm looking into getting a 40-50'' 1080p set for the 360/PS3/blu-rays. I'm sure the upscaling in 4k sets won't bode well for current games, and I never plan to watch TV channels with it.

I'd like to get the best 1080p set that I can for this. I have an option to grab a Sony GDM-FW900, should I just get that since I'm anal about it lasting?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I found a Samsung UN40EH6030 on sale here and I'm tempted to buy it.

I don't want more than one screen in my room, so it needs to serve both as a regular TV for gaming and watching, and as a PC monitor, but I'm not sure if a 40' TV is going to be good at that. Any opinions?

Is the lack of a DVI input a bad sign? That's the cheapest active 3D display I've come across, and people say good things about it, but they only mention PS3 gaming and not in a PC and it only has 2 HDMI inputs...

Stealth Edit: I forgot to mention that I plan on putting it in the wall, that is about 120cm from my head when at the PC.

I have a Samsung 1080p plasma that's 4 years old. Been an awesome tv for gaming\movies\cable. I haven't hooked a pc up to it though. I do have a tiny tiny bit of image retention as my cable is SD so I get lots of black bars. I can only notice it if I look for it along the top of the screen.

I've been gaming on a 50" ST60 for the past few weeks, and after messing with some settings the lag wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Pretty imperceptible to me, even online, but I'm sure there are people that would notice it (though I am generally pretty sensitive to that kind of thing). The picture, features, and everything else are outstanding, huge upgrade from my 42" S30.

I haven't done much research in years, but are LCDs/plasmas at the point where they'll easily last ~30 years with light use? Last I checked they were good for ~7 before losing half their contrast, might be a lot better now. I have a good CRT for old systems that should last me another ~35 years, and I'm looking into getting a 40-50'' 1080p set for the 360/PS3/blu-rays. I'm sure the upscaling in 4k sets won't bode well for games, and I never plan to watch TV channels with it.

I'd like to get the best 1080p set that I can for this. I have an option to grab a Sony GDM-FW900, should I just get that since I'm anal about it lasting?

To be blunt, I really don't expect flat panel tvs to last as long as CRTs to begin with. Seen far too many dead tvs coming my way working retail. And considering it's a race to the bottom in terms of pricing for a lot tvs, the cost of repair is simply not worth it versus a new tv for many.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anyway, recently got a 47" LG TV for a really good price ($550). Was surprised at the number of inputs it has (good for my older consoles). Will be coming in soon.

Just going to use it as a temporary TV for the new consoles before I move to a new place -- by then I will probably get another TV (60"+).

I haven't done much research in years, but are LCDs/plasmas at the point where they'll easily last ~30 years with light use? Last I checked they were good for ~7 before losing half their contrast, might be a lot better now. I have a good CRT for old systems that should last me another ~35 years, and I'm looking into getting a 40-50'' 1080p set for the 360/PS3/blu-rays. I'm sure the upscaling in 4k sets won't bode well for current games, and I never plan to watch TV channels with it.

The FW900 is a 24" CRT monitor, and while it is a legendary piece of hardware, it's not a 50" TV.

I have a Samsung 1080p plasma that's 4 years old. Been an awesome tv for gaming\movies\cable. I haven't hooked a pc up to it though. I do have a tiny tiny bit of image retention as my cable is SD so I get lots of black bars. I can only notice it if I look for it along the top of the screen.

Yeah, I've been hearing good things about Samsung. All my TVs and monitors are LG at the moment, but they use passive 3D which I don't like. Time to look for another brand.

About the indecision, problem solved. I talked to mom about it, and she wants a new TV to replace her 29 inch CRT in the living room. If this one is not good as a monitor, I'll simply give it to her and keep using my 23' LG monitor.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-...review_picture-quality-and-conclusions_Page-3

This Bravia has best in class input lag of 7ms :)O) but it's not cheap at £2400 ($2800 in the US, possibly $2500 with discounts). It also has the added bonus of being an awesome TV, but damn expensive though.

I think the equivalent is $1999 on the US Sony store site, but there are probably regional models of that class that aren't directly comparable.

But unless you're talking about an XBR-series Sony, you can't really compare to the Panasonic plasmas.

Kambing

I'm still uber satisfied with my Kuro, but unfortunately, i am able to notice the red tint problem on it. Even though its very faint and only effects like 5% of the screen during dark scenes, just knowing that it has it kills me X_X.

I really would like to upgrade this year, but will ultimately hold out until 4k is standardized. Buying a 4k set now just seems silly, as the method of delivery has not been finalized yet correct? I talked my self into thinking its silly because i almost pre-ordered the Sony 4k set, but there is no hdmi 2.0 yet and i would need to change my receiver... too much money to spend on tech this year given the new consoles etc. I really don't care too much about display tech, just as long as i end up buying the best available lol.

FStop7

Banned
A shame about the lag. Good if you're not a gamer, though.

Is it really that bad? Thewirecutter seemed to like it a lot, and I thought that they did some lag tests. I haven't bought anything yet, so I guess I'll wait. I have an LG 47" edge lit LCD I got at Fry's last year right before Black Friday. $480 with a year of free Netflix, so net cost around $430. It's pretty good but it doesn't do blacks like a plasma does. In game mode I haven't had any problems with lag when playing CoD or Halo. But I just moved and now 47" isn't really cutting it because my viewing distance is a lot further back.

Kainazzo

The FW900 is a 24" CRT monitor, and while it is a legendary piece of hardware, it's not a 50" TV.

Correct, I should've specified. I'll probably back out of it, considering it weighs 92 lbs, letterboxes 1080p, and the phosphors tend to wear out faster in computer monitors. I'd like to possibly mount the TV for TATE, and I have a hard enough time safely rotating my retro 66 lb CRT. I've read many posts from people saying FW900s no longer work after ~8.5 years, so it looks like it was never going to be a long term solution anyway.

At this point, a top of the line 1080p LCD may be better, if only through the brute force of progress.

Choabac

This gen we upgraded our TV from a 1992 Sony Trinitron CRT to a 2011 V series Panasonic Plasma.

The colour reproduction and contrast levels are fantastic and I haven't noticed any input lag or image retention.

In terms of responsiveness (a metric particularly relevant for gaming):
DLP > OLED > Plasma >>> LCD

Plasma, OLED and DLP are all much faster than LCD in terms of response times. DLP displays have the additional advantage of never being sample-and-hold type, which makes them appear even more responsive.

Yay blanket statements! I can do this too!
BD > HDDVD >> LD >>>>>>> DVD!!

But seriously, the panel processing, in the end, is more of a factor than the panel type. A good LCD can keep up with good Plasmas and DLPs. I've seen plasmas with HORRIBLE input lag and terrible motion resolution and contrast.

Also, DLP > OLED? Really? You're smoking some good stuff now that it's legal in some places. And I'm not just talking about the Vita, either (though it doesn't hurt its case)...

ArynCrinn

Banned
whichever fits your budget would be the best display technology for you. a bad game, in your opinion, won't magically become a better game if you choose a display that's beyond your budget.

Best quote of the thread.

But really, the newer LCD/LED backlight displays are perfectly fine for gaming. I've got a 32" LCD/LED in my bedroom and never a problem, input-lag or IQ wise.

My main downstairs HDTV is a 65" Mitsubishi Plasma. Might upgrade to OLED eventually but I'm well suited for now.

vivftp

Best. LOL. The only plasma I would even consider is the ZT range from Panasonic, but that has a huge pricetag on it. Samsung's 75" looks sublime this year and Sony's 4K sets are absolutely amazing in person, the colours are just a cut above everything else. If one were to buy the absolute best in class, then it's last year's Sharp Elite, this years ZT, the X9/W9 from Sony or the 75" LED from Samsung. The W9 probably has best bang for buck out of all those listed, but it tops out at 55" which is much smaller than the 75" Samsung.

The Sharp Elite is probably the best overall TV, but it's very costly and it still has small issues, but nothing like what plasma still has, burn-in, DSE, dithering, banding, buzz, flickering, terrible light output. Fuck all of that shit, I returned a VT50 last year in favour of a 55" HX850 and never looked back. I'll be waiting diligently for the 2014 Sony/Samsung 4K LCD/LED line up thank you. If Sony had HDMI 2.0 ports and no ugly or detachable speakers on this year's X9 I would definitely be considering it, with those speakers and no HDMI 2.0, I will wait for next year's model, I just hope they keep the TriLuminous tech or buy QDVision. OLED colours with no burn-in...

Gotta ask because I'm always holding out hope. Any word on Crystal LED? :(

I just picked up the Sony KDL50R550A passive 3D TV just on an impulse. I did some musical chairs with the TVs in my home and put it in my mancave to replace my older Sony KDL55HX701 CCFL backlit set. It's smaller, but it's 3D and more advanced, so it should do nicely in here. I'm hopeful that within the next year or at most two to get a massive fracking 4k set from Sony. 4K OLED would be nice, but damnit if they can actually push Crystal LED out into the consumer market I'll move heaven and Earth to get it!

On the subject of my new TV though, it's quite good. Gonna calibrate it once I get some time. This is my first 3D TV and the passive 3D works so much better with my eyes than active. Would've been nice to get a triluminos set, but that's alright... I can wait :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
any reason why Oled didn't take off yet in the market? I mean only LG seems interesting in pushing Oled HDTVs but no one else care.

and yeah as vivftp said the happened to Sony's amazing Crystal LED tv? did they canned it?

blackflag

Panny plasma forever (rip kuro).

I'm seriously buying 2 or 3 panny plasmas this year to store away since I heard this is Panasonic's last year making them. If it turns out to be true.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I'm seriously buying 2 or 3 panny plasmas this year to store away since I heard this is Panasonic's last year making them. If it turns out to be true.

well if I'm not mistaken they are releasing a new plasma HDTV(ZT60)which is based on Kuro or something like that.

From what I've understand, it wasn't that it will be the last year they make plasma, but ending any further R&D for plasma tech as it will be the last new panels that will come out for them as they felt they reached a plateau with the tech. Obviously that could change and they end could manufacturing all together, but that's the word. Good reason they went with the "ZT" naming scheme as the last lettering you could choose for their elite highest end tv which was originally the "VT" line, but this year they wanted another to one-up it. Apparently the ZT60 is very hard to make with how they bonded the glass with the panel with no air-gap, supposedly in Europe it would be a limited edition tv too.

vivftp

any reason why Oled didn't take off yet in the market? I mean only LG seems interesting in pushing Oled HDTVs but no one else care.

OLED TVs do seem quite difficult to manufacture. From what I've read online it doesn't seem the yields are the greatest either.

There's definately a market for people who would want to buy it, I'm just not sure how large that market is. Not to mention if I had the money and I see a 1080p OLED TV for something like $13000 and a similar size 4K LED TV for $5000, I'm going to find it VERY hard to justify that OLED to myself. In Sonys case, as zomg mentioned with their triluminos tech they can pretty much give OLED-like colours with none of the disadvantages of OLED like image retention. The only thing of course is you don't get the OLED black levels and response rate.

4K OLED will likely be popular as it's the best of both worlds. No idea when anyone is going to get them on the consumer market though. It appears Sony will be pushing it on the professional side, which makes sense given the extreme price they can charge. Wonder how many years until it trickles down to the consumer side.

I really would love a CLED TV though. All the advantages of OLED, none of the disadvantages. I had a theory that Sony held back CLED deployment until they could make 4K CLED a reality (for the same reason I gave above about 13000 1080p OLED vs. cheaper 4K LED) but that's just a guess. I was hopeful that zomg may have heard something. Even if they're going to start with it in the professional side for extremely high prices, that's ok because at least we'll know it's possible and eventually we'd be likely to see it trickle down to consumers.

One thing you've got to realise is that Plasma snobs are usually full of shit, and crippled by the kind of hyperbolic, rabid defence mechanism that fans of dying technology usually come equipped with.

Everyone has used an LCD, whether on monitors or phones, you know the strengths and weaknesses of the technology, it's a known quantity for everyone. If you're spending a grand on a plasma then you should realise before jumping in that it isn't the steak and blowjob of flat panel technology. It has a lot of fantastic strengths, and huge weaknesses also.

Plasma truly shines and comes into its own in a dark environment, if that's your primary viewing environment then it's probably the best choice for you. If, on the other hand, your eyes have been trained on glossy LCD screens during daytime or in bright rooms...that tech could look seriously washed out to you.

But one thing you rarely hear mention of in reviews is phosphor trailing, something which makes high contrast, fast panning shots (ie every shooter this gen) an absolute nightmare to watch if you're sensitive to it, far more egregious and jarring than the worst LCD blur i've experienced.

What is the hx850 like for gaming?

Excellent. I'm not particularly sensitive to lag though.

Even Panasonic's mid tier ST60 has .001 fl black level. That is equal to the 9G Kuro, just to put it in perspective.

The problems you mentioned may be real, but they have nothing to do with picture quality. Dithering and DSE are not visible unless you have your face up to the screen. I don't see why you would want a shit ton of light output either. Any TV looks its best in a dim environment where you don't need insane brightness unless you like burning your eyes.

Yeah for a few months, then the blacks will rise like all NeoPDP TVs. My brother in law has a VT50, incredible blacks when they bought it, now they are about the same as my HX850.

My TV is in a bay window so it needs high light output to combat the ambient light, especially during the summer. Obviously for evening movie watching I use a better calibrated setting for a dark environment, but that's the beauty of LCD, it can deal with both dark and light environments while with plasma I would have to close curtains in the summer.

The other problem is that about a year in, the peak brightness is down around 10% for all plasma TVs while LCD/LED will have the same brightness levels 10 years into its life. Plasma is just an inferior technology all around. Which is why it's a dead technology.

Owner of a plasma for 5 years. Retention is better than burn in. And on the worst problem day where I left a weather app on for 3 days.. can be fix with the 'ir wipe' for 10 seconds or full screen HD for 1 min. So, OLED, if your ready you are mine. If not. Plasma next year again for me.

OLED has worse burn-in/IR problems than plasma. The different RGB OLEDs have vastly different half-lives. LG's version might be ok, but the life will be very short because it uses white OLEDs (which are actually just blue OLEDs turned up to max) and they have a very short life.

I think the equivalent is $1999 on the US Sony store site, but there are probably regional models of that class that aren't directly comparable.

But unless you're talking about an XBR-series Sony, you can't really compare to the Panasonic plasmas.

No, that's the W8, the W9 isn't on sale in the US, even for pre-order. It should be within a week or so though. It's on sale at B&H for $2800 though.

Gotta ask because I'm always holding out hope. Any word on Crystal LED? :(

I just picked up the Sony KDL50R550A passive 3D TV just on an impulse. I did some musical chairs with the TVs in my home and put it in my mancave to replace my older Sony KDL55HX701 CCFL backlit set. It's smaller, but it's 3D and more advanced, so it should do nicely in here. I'm hopeful that within the next year or at most two to get a massive fracking 4k set from Sony. 4K OLED would be nice, but damnit if they can actually push Crystal LED out into the consumer market I'll move heaven and Earth to get it!

On the subject of my new TV though, it's quite good. Gonna calibrate it once I get some time. This is my first 3D TV and the passive 3D works so much better with my eyes than active. Would've been nice to get a triluminos set, but that's alright... I can wait :)

No CLED for this year or next. It's still being developed though so it's not completely dead. I think getting the 4K OLED out for professional markets is the priority for this year and next. Then rolling the TV out for Joe public at reasonable price points would be the next target, but that could take some doing.

The Boat

I've got a 42 and it's the best TV I've ever used. I've poured almost 300 hours into MH3U in about a months time and nothing burned in yet. Not to mention it's just adorable comparing the Wii U controller's screen to the ST30. Night and fucking day.

Put it in cinema mode. Is it too dark for you? If the answer is yes then don't buy it as increasing the light output screws up gamma and color accuracy. If the answer is no then consider it. It has half the lag of the new ST60, decent blacks and good colors.

Thanks. I'll have to look into it, that is if I can get get the money. I'm torn between spending money on a TV or a new PC.

vdoggie

Banned
the one with the fastest processing time... and don't get fooled by "2MS"... that's NOT where the latency comes in.. it's all about how quick it gets processed by the components...

From what I've understand, it wasn't that it will be the last year they make plasma, but ending any further R&D for plasma tech as it will be the last new panels that will come out for them as they felt they reached a plateau with the tech. Obviously that could change and they end could manufacturing all together, but that's the word. Good reason they went with the "ZT" naming scheme as the last lettering you could choose for their elite highest end tv which was originally the "VT" line, but this year they wanted another to one-up it. Apparently the ZT60 is very hard to make with how they bonded the glass with the panel with no air-gap, supposedly in Europe it would be a limited edition tv too.

They're actually not stopping all r&d, just winding it down. I remember reading the ZT will be the basis for their future panels. Considering it has a .0002 black level...yeah, I think we can expect some incredible plasmas from panasonic. That's encroaching on OLED blacks.

Hofmann

I looked into two models: Sharp's 60" LE640U and Sony's 55" HX850, but they both perform poorly in input lag tests.

To be frank, I don't know if I'll even be able to feel the lag, but I sure as hell don't want to have to buy one to know.

What is the hx850 like for gaming?

I've been using 55HX850 for a year now and input lag is unnoticeable, in game mode of course. Great thing about this mode is that it has almost perfect colour reproduction.

They're actually not stopping all r&d, just winding it down. I remember reading the ZT will be the basis for their future panels. Considering it has a .0002 black level...yeah, I think we can expect some incredible plasmas from panasonic. That's encroaching on OLED blacks.

So you believe a US marketing manager over the CEO and Japanese management who have said they are shutting downs plasma TV R&D but keeping production open.

Plasma TVs are done. The ZT is going to be the farewell, lets just hope the blacks don't rise like other Panasonic TVs because it's no use having such good blacks only for them to go away after a few months.

haikira

Asking out of curiosity. I've been using the Pioneer KRP-500A, for about five years now. Quite possibly one of the best electronic items I've ever purchased. Brilliant for movies in pure and with game control pref, it's great for input lag too. Though i was wondering. Realistically, what's the life span for a plasma? I've been using it heavily for five years now and it's been on the back of mind, it probably doesn't have many more years left in it. Though i'm not sure if that's necessarily true.

codhand

thor_l_1.jpg

does using these--or an equivalent product--impact PQ negatively?

pswii60

So you believe a US marketing manager over the CEO and Japanese management who have said they are shutting downs plasma TV R&D but keeping production open.

Plasma TVs are done. The ZT is going to be the farewell, lets just hope the blacks don't rise like other Panasonic TVs because it's no use having such good blacks only for them to go away after a few months.

That black level rise happened only on the 10 series of Panasonics.

Plasma is still the only choice for videophiles, at least until OLED goes mainstream.

Both HDTVTest and AVForums have given the Panasonic VT65 'Reference Level' ratings. And as you can see from the reviews, they scrutinise these things to the nth degree.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p55vt65b-201304212862.htm
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pan...-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_507/Review.html
The VT65 is an absolute triumph for Panasonic and brings everything to the party one could possibly hope for – stunning dynamic range, steadfastly accurate colours and gloriously silky motion handling. With so many rumours circulating of Panasonic’s imminent departure from the Plasma market , let’s hope that party isn’t a leaving do but we think they’d be crazy to give up on it at this stage when it, so obviously, has so much to give. Bravo Panasonic. Oh, and yes, they’ve done it again, Reference Status.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pan...-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV-Review_518/Review.html
The Panasonic TX-P50VT65B is about all you could ever want from a TV. It has looks and pictures to die for, lots of useful apps and features and it’s incredibly easy to use thanks to a well-designed interface and control schemes. To break it down even further – the Panasonic VT65B is the best consumer grade TV currently available so we’ve no choice but to award it a thoroughly deserved AVForums Reference Status. Bring it on OLED!

My 50" VT65 is fucking mind-blowing. I don't care for the LCD vs plasma wars, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. LCD is definitely better for the unemployed who usually watch daytime TV, and plasma is better for everyone else.

I only converted to plasma last year (had a 42" GT50 prior to the VT65 and a Samsung D8000 LED before that). I've also owned and returned in the last year (thanks John Lewis!) a Samsung ES8000, Sony HX853 and Samsung F8000. So I've tried the latest LED TVs. All three were riddled with clouding, vertical banding, poor viewing angles, poor motion resolution in 'Game Mode' (60fps blur!), input lag and the Samsungs suck at doing 24p playback. Again, I love my VT65 and all you plasma haters can remain in denial all you like :p

Rising blacks haven't been a problem with Pannys for a couple of years now. We'll still be able to purchase plasma sets through the end of 2014, and by then we'll be getting ready for 3rd generation OLED sets to start hitting the market. The videophile crowd will be alright.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
No CLED for this year or next. It's still being developed though so it's not completely dead. I think getting the 4K OLED out for professional markets is the priority for this year and next. Then rolling the TV out for Joe public at reasonable price points would be the next target, but that could take some doing.

this is sad, Sony finally have something good in their hands but they'll be very late to throw it in the market,typical Sony..no wonder they'll never be like the the old days ever again.

pswii60

It's here!

I'm going to order mine this weekend or the next. I can't wait :)

As I said above, I'm in love with my shiny new VT65 (VT60). And the ZT60 is a rung above that again. You'll know you've got the best television money can buy (and I've got the second best!). Until OLED anyway. Enjoy :)

Poker360

Can anyone tell me what the catch is with this one:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/samsung/51-inch-full-hd-3d-plasma-smart-tv-sku-84788/

It seems too good to be true. 51" 1080p 3D Samsung with a 600hz refresh rate (have I been out of the game for too long, or is that weirdly good?) for $800?

I mean, you can get a brand new Panasonic 50ST60 for $1,000.

All plasma's are 600hz, but this is not comparable to a "high end" 240hz LED (which would present a soap opera effect).

The problem with that particular samsung is the picture quality. In general, last years plasma's from samsung had terrible black level performance and not so great colors, so basically mediocre picture quality. This year samsung has made some improvements to black level performance, and even introduce near reference quality higher end models such as the f8500 series.

That means it's as good as dead in the mass market, 4k is a huge and costly engineering challenge for pdp and is going to be the next great marketing push by TV and film producers. A whole line of tv's without a key feature going forward...all in a dwindling market year after year. I don't envy panasonics position

That black level rise happened only on the 10 series of Panasonics.

Plasma is still the only choice for videophiles, at least until OLED goes mainstream.

Both HDTVTest and AVForums have given the Panasonic VT65 'Reference Level' ratings. And as you can see from the reviews, they scrutinise these things to the nth degree.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p55vt65b-201304212862.htm

Philes of anything are fucking weirdo's and unhinged from actual reality. you only have to look at the kuro dorks who get offensive over the idea that their precious "champ" may have been unseated by the latest pana's in black level. It's the same kind of fetishism that permeates fans of vinyl and tube amps, the more creepy contingent of the plasma "elite" wake up sweating every night screaming "You'll never take my black level!"

Ironic that you mention david mckenzie, a man who at home actually watches his movies on a projector...the kind of price bracket the VT series is now entering.

Ocaso

I hope this is true. I was really looking to upgrade my current set to an ST60 this year assuming that it would be the last year of Panny plasmas, but the lag issue has dissuaded me. A new model next year that alleviates the issue appears to be the better choice. OLED is gorgeous (at least going by my Vita's display), so hopefully a 4k OLED will be my next TV after that, but until then plasma remains the best choice for me.

I hope this is true. I was really looking to upgrade my current set to an ST60 this year assuming that it would be the last year of Panny plasmas, but the lag issue has dissuaded me. A new model next year that alleviates the issue appears to be the better choice. OLED is gorgeous (at least going by my Vita's display), so hopefully a 4k OLED will be my next TV after that, but until then plasma remains the best choice for me.

I hate to break it to you, but it's all BS spread by a US based marketing guy. The Japanese management have all said plasma is dead to Panasonic and that this year is the swansong.

If you want to pick up the absolute best plasma then save up, push the boat out and buy a ZT and then wait for 5-7 years while OLED or whatever other tech matures in that time (IGZO, CLED, QLED) gets cheap enough to replace the ZT as the best TV. Either that or get this years W9 from Sony.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Im really thinking of changing my current Pionner 5020fd to a Panasonic TCP60ZT60 in the next couple of month...... You served your time my old KURO.

Philes of anything are fucking weirdo's and unhinged from actual reality. you only have to look at the kuro dorks who get offensive over the idea that their precious "champ" may have been unseated by the latest pana's in black level. It's the same kind of fetishism that permeates fans of vinyl and tube amps, the more creepy contingent of the plasma "elite" wake up sweating every night screaming "You'll never take my black level!"

Ironic that you mention david mckenzie, a man who at home actually watches his movies on a projector...the kind of price bracket the VT series is now entering.

Wow comparing the terrible response times of an lcd pan with vynil and tube amps? That's the most disingenuous statement I've seen on this forum in weeks.

Did a plasma owner shit in your cereal?
You are having a huge meltdown here, spouting all kinds of crap, maybe you should calm down and breathe in and out a few times instead of making a fool of yourself.

KPunk

just bought the Samsung 55UNF7100. Unbelievable TV highly recommended, the panel is seriously perfect, colors just pop at you. Game mode runs fantastic, very minimal input lag.

Ocaso

I hate to break it to you, but it's all BS spread by a US based marketing guy. The Japanese management have all said plasma is dead to Panasonic and that this year is the swansong.

If you want to pick up the absolute best plasma then save up, push the boat out and buy a ZT and then wait for 5-7 years while OLED or whatever other tech matures in that time (IGZO, CLED, QLED) gets cheap enough to replace the ZT as the best TV. Either that or get this years W9 from Sony.

Honestly, I suspected as much. Sadly the ZT is not in the US. I'm not all that malcontent with my ST30, though, but we'll see what happens.

Wow comparing the terrible response times of an lcd pan with vynil and tube amps? That's the most disingenuous statement I've seen on this forum in weeks.

Did a plasma owner shit in your cereal?
You are having a huge meltdown here, spouting all kinds of crap, maybe you should calm down and breathe in and out a few times instead of making a fool of yourself.

On the contrary, you need to learn to read. I said fetishists, and singled out the more vocal kuro fans as an example, go to any tv enthusiast site and you'll see them arguing till their blue in the face that their 4 year old tv is better than the newest panasonics. Why? because of a best case, £300 ISF calibrated black level that's practically imperceptible to the human eye (meters struggle to get the correct level), whilst simultaneously ignoring the improvements in white level, motion response and smart features (if you care, evidently people do as they buy that shit)

That these kind of nutters are advising first time buyers on anything, is fucking obscene. These two technologies are both flawed, and anyone who hand down flat out suggests picking one type of panel display over another without atleast asking about viewing arrangement is so full of fanboy shit he practically sloshes when he walks.

Top Bottom