• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Card Boy

Banned
So how much of the game is playable during the closed beta? Tempted to drop the $10 and get into the closed beta now but I hear the open beta is coming in roughly 2 weeks.

Just check out the stress test this weekend and see if you like it and then drop down some cash for the game. If you purchase a cheapy pack it gives you the option to upgrade later.

KKRT00

lol, this game does not look good zoomed in. I don't think I've ever zoomed in that far.

Looks still quite nice even with zoom in :)

TKjlK.jpg
KNUwn.jpg

1UTFP.jpg
TfWIs.jpg

schL1.jpg
BApLT.jpg

Ps. None of my friends want to play PoE before Open Beta ;\

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just started up a new Warrior, going to try to build a Tanky Cleave character or something. Never made it passed level 10 before though.

Just got this a few minutes ago;

Action RPG Path of Exile will be open to everyone this weekend, July 27-29, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta in a few months.

If you've been patiently waiting to try Path of Exile's dark and customizable gameplay, now is your chance to check out the game - for one weekend only.

The game has been in Closed Beta since last August and we have been regularly adding new content, classes and skills. The latest version adds a huge Act Two boss fight, the end-game Maps system and a new passive skill tree with over 1300 skills to customize your character with. The open weekend will include the first two acts of the game, Default and Hardcore leagues, six character classes, approximately 70 active skills, 40 support gems and hundreds of item types.

We will make the game servers public from 5pm on Friday 27 July Pacific Daylight Time until 11:59pm on Sunday. Over 48,000 people played during our last Open Weekend in May. Any feedback you provide this weekend will help us get ready for our permanent Open Beta.

Check out the FAQ about the open weekend at www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them on the forums. See you this weekend!

Kind regards,
Chris Wilson
Grinding Gear Games

Didn't even have to buy a key ;)

elfinke

God i need a key.How close is open beta?

Saw that,This a stress test,I mean a proper open beta.

"Action RPG Path of Exile will be open to everyone this weekend, July 27-29, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta in a few months"

From that email above.

I enjoyed the brief time I spent in PoE last open weekend - though the experience was definitely lessened by how much I enjoyed the D3 beta in comparison. I am looking forward to spending more time again this weekend, now that D3 has come and somewhat gone from my radar.

I like the support gems, they totally remind me of materia from Final Fantasy VII. Some crazy combinations possible (like the teleporting totems in the BotW vids).

syko de4d

no open Beta in the next weeks :(

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/39998
chris said:
In June, we posted that our we estimated that we'd enter Open Beta in mid-August. We proposed a schedule of three patches of approximately three weeks each to achieve the features and content we wanted before we enter Open Beta.

The first of those patches was deployed this week. It took around a month longer than intended, but we are extremely pleased with how it turned out. This additional time was spent developing the Maps system and Act Two boss fights to be much more advanced than we initially planned.

In addition to the two large patches left that we want to achieve before entering Open Beta, there are a few other minor areas that we plan to improve (such as general combat polish, our initial selection of microtransaction items, and some client stability issues) that were not properly factored into the original schedule.

At the moment we're hard at work on PvP and finishing the Act Three content. It's looking really awesome - I can't wait to show you guys.

One of the lucky things about not having a publisher is that we don't have to release the game in an unfinished state. It's extremely difficult to schedule so many complex systems accurately, and having to release prematurely can completely kill an online game.

I'm sorry that we're delaying the start of Open Beta (again), though as much as I want to see it released, I would much rather release a high quality product.

I don't want to commit to a new date estimate today. I'll update with a better estimate as soon as we have one available. It won't be too much longer - you can see based on our progress through the patches that we're getting pretty close!

Physical supporter swag (t-shirts, posters, etc.) is being finalised and produced soon. The scheduled for shipping these has been unaffected by this delay.

Thank you again for your great feedback and continued support of Path of Exile. I hope to chat to as many of you as possible during the upcoming Public Stress Test weekend!

That's a bummer, but it's for the best. These guys have been great with keeping up regular and meaningful updates, and there's only so much their small team can do.

I hope there's an open beta before the holiday blockbuster rush. I've gotten the sense over the past week especially (with Blizzard's concessions about the endgame of Diablo III, and then the Wizard invulnerability exploit) that the disillusionment over Diablo III is the strongest it's ever been. People are looking for alternatives, and GGG need to take advantage of this opportunity before the AAA titles dominate headlines and mindshare.

Card Boy

Banned
I hope there's an open beta before the holiday blockbuster rush. I've gotten the sense over the past week especially (with Blizzard's concessions about the endgame of Diablo III, and then the Wizard invulnerability exploit) that the disillusionment over Diablo III is the strongest it's ever been. People are looking for alternatives, and GGG need to take advantage of this opportunity before the AAA titles dominate headlines and mindshare.

Blizzards failure with Diablo 3 will be GGG's and Runics gain. It blows my mind people in the Diablo 3 OT are still wasting their time on that game. It's funny because everyone thought Torchlight 2 and PoE would bomb hard because "Everyone would be too busy playing Diablo 3". I'd rather play Sacred Gold that than crap and thats saying something. At least in Sacred you got good loot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has GGG said anything in regard to the lack of an Oceania server region? A game being developed by a New Zealand-based studio having no AU/NZ-based servers strikes me as very strange. I'm sure, say, Internode would be happy to oblige.

Card Boy

Banned
Has GGG said anything in regard to the lack of an Oceania server region? A game being developed by a New Zealand-based studio having no AU/NZ-based servers strikes me as very strange. I'm sure, say, Internode would be happy to oblige.

Closest we have is a Singapore server but its not much of a ping reduction over the US one. I asked the developers during the first open beta weekend (they where on all weekend in Global chat) and they said its something they want to do aswell as adding the game to Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Closest we have is a Singapore server but its not much of a ping reduction over the US one. I asked the developers during the first open beta weekend (they where on all weekend in Global chat) and they said its something they want to do aswell as adding the game to Steam.

Good to hear. Cheers. :)

I haven't checked it out since they re-vamped the skill tree.

Have they added a gamma adjustment yet? I HAVE to have this. my main monitor is a bit darker than usual and typically have to bump the gamma up a little in games. It makes playing POE a bit difficult due to the crazy dark environments to begin with :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I made it up to level 25 last night on my Elemental Melee-focused Templar. Here is what I don't like about the game so far (note that some of this may be exclusive to my character and due to how I built him):

- Combat and movement is clunky. I don't know if it's the animation or input lag, but there's an annoying delay between when I click a button and when the attack goes off. Movement is also clunky. Know how in Diablo 3 you can run in perfect circles by holding down the mouse button and spinning about? That's not possible here. It seems like there are a specific number of directions in which your character can move, making it feel really clunky.

- Targeting enemies sucks. This is a continuation of the clunky combat, but targeting enemies feels really bad right now. In order to hit an enemy with an attack, you need to make sure you have them targeted. There's no such thing as hitting based on proximity. If you stand still by holding shift and just hold down your attack button without targeting individual mobs, you will hit nothing even if they are right next you. Your big club will just go right through them as if they aren't there. It's especially annoying with melee attacks that can be used even without targeting an enemy.

- Lack of numerical feedback. I want a combat log and floating damage/miss text. It's especially important in this game because a lot of the time I can't tell if I just missed because of a dice roll or if I didn't have the enemy properly targeted or it moved, etc.

- Loot and inventory. The inventory is ridiculously small (either that or items are ridiculously large), making it so you can carry only a few things. This, combined with the lack of a currency system, has made it so I don't even bother picking up over 95% of the items that drop anymore. This is due to a variety of factors:

1. The passive skill trees encourage you to specialize. In the early levels, you experiment with a wide variety of weapon types. However, once you start putting points into two-handed weapons, you're probably not going to want to use anything else. From there, you will probably specialize in a specific item type (staves, for example), further restricting what weapons you will use.

2. If you focus on two stats (INT and STR in my Templar's case), you will lock yourself out of any items that have that have a DEX requirement. A lot of items have DEX requirements.

3. It seems that all items of a specific type have the exact same base stats. For example, all Iron Staves will have a base damage of 19 - 43 (not sure if that's accurate), and all plate helms of a specific level range will have 80 Armour. This means that, once you find a decent item in that type, you really don't need to look at them anymore since it won't be an upgrade. You only have to pay attention to drops again maybe 5-10 levels later.

Anyway, this all results in me not picking anything up other than rares (yellow items) and consumables. They made it such a pain in the ass to carry stuff around, and made it simply not worth it to go back to town to sell junk, that by the mid 20s I've simply stopped picking things up. Kind of bad in a loot game, in my opinion.

- The environments are boring. I like the art style for the game, but the outdoor environments in particular are just boring. Endless samey looking terrain with no variety at all.

Anyway, with all that said, I'm still having a good bit of fun. I look forward to trying another class and focusing on a completely different style of play. There's a lot to like in this game, and it's still in closed beta, but I think it has a long way to go before it's a serious contender in the genre (at least for my attention). I really hope they at least work hard on making the combat feel more smooth and dynamic. It's just so stiff and clunky right now.

I made it up to level 25 last night on my Elemental Melee-focused Templar. Here is what I don't like about the game so far (note that some of this may be exclusive to my character and due to how I built him):

- Combat and movement is clunky. I don't know if it's the animation or input lag, but there's an annoying delay between when I click a button and when the attack goes off. Movement is also clunky. Know how in Diablo 3 you can run in perfect circles by holding down the mouse button and spinning about? That's not possible here. It seems like there are a specific number of directions in which your character can move, making it feel really clunky.

They are going to fix this. You can't move right now until the whole attack animation is done.

- Targeting enemies sucks. This is a continuation of the clunky combat, but targeting enemies feels really bad right now. In order to hit an enemy with an attack, you need to make sure you have them targeted. There's no such thing as hitting based on proximity. If you stand still by holding shift and just hold down your attack button without targeting individual mobs, you will hit nothing even if they are right next you. Your big club will just go right through them as if they aren't there. It's especially annoying with melee attacks that can be used even without targeting an enemy.

This I agree with. I think I remember them mentioning something about this but I'm not sure. My guess is it will be better. Be sure to post these things on the official website, feedback helps.

- Lack of numerical feedback. I want a combat log and floating damage/miss text. It's especially important in this game because a lot of the time I can't tell if I just missed because of a dice roll or if I didn't have the enemy properly targeted or it moved, etc.

I think they want to sort of stay away from this, although I think I remember them saying they may give the option for it. I think their reasoning is that its too much mess going on when you should just be enjoying the look of it. A critical strike has visual/audio feedback.

- Loot and inventory. The inventory is ridiculously small (either that or items are ridiculously large), making it so you can carry only a few things. This, combined with the lack of a currency system, has made it so I don't even bother picking up over 95% of the items that drop anymore. This is due to a variety of factors:

1. The passive skill trees encourage you to specialize. In the early levels, you experiment with a wide variety of weapon types. However, once you start putting points into two-handed weapons, you're probably not going to want to use anything else. From there, you will probably specialize in a specific item type (staves, for example), further restricting what weapons you will use.

2. If you focus on two stats (INT and STR in my Templar's case), you will lock yourself out of any items that have that have a DEX requirement. A lot of items have DEX requirements.

3. It seems that all items of a specific type have the exact same base stats. For example, all Iron Staves will have a base damage of 19 - 43 (not sure if that's accurate), and all plate helms of a specific level range will have 80 Armour. This means that, once you find a decent item in that type, you really don't need to look at them anymore since it won't be an upgrade. You only have to pay attention to drops again maybe 5-10 levels later.

Anyway, this all results in me not picking anything up other than rares (yellow items) and consumables. They made it such a pain in the ass to carry stuff around, and made it simply not worth it to go back to town to sell junk, that by the mid 20s I've simply stopped picking things up. Kind of bad in a loot game, in my opinion.

Picking up rares even if they aren't useful can still be useful for crafting. Trust me on that one. Also, you know you have a big ass stash in town right? You should be going back to town every 20 or 30 minutes or so anyways. I recommend you lvl your character to at least 50 before you criticize the item system too heavily. Also, visit the PoE website for crafting tips and other help. The itemization is the best thing about this game.

- The environments are boring. I like the art style for the game, but the outdoor environments in particular are just boring. Endless samey looking terrain with no variety at all.

I kind of agree with you here.

Anyway, with all that said, I'm still having a good bit of fun. I look forward to trying another class and focusing on a completely different style of play. There's a lot to like in this game, and it's still in closed beta, but I think it has a long way to go before it's a serious contender in the genre (at least for my attention). I really hope they at least work hard on making the combat feel more smooth and dynamic. It's just so stiff and clunky right now.

They're planning on adding/improving A TON of stuff here. I guarantee that it will be a different game in a year. I started playing the beta about 8 months ago and it was literally a shadow of the game it is today. Keep it on your interested list, you won't regret it.

KKRT00

LoL, i've started playing and there is 1195 accounts logged! I remember when there was hardly 150 :)

I'll reply tomorrow for Zefah post :) I dont really think that aim assist is good feature in those games, it causes more problems than it should, i've died a lot of times in d3 because of aggressive aim assist.

Raxum

I also find the movement a bit clunky but most of my issue is with lag I think. Even on the singapore server I have nearly 200ms ping (I just live in a shit area for internet apparently) so I have to react rather fast to be able to pull off some dodges and such. It's not as bad as it could be but it still doesn't help when there seems to be a delay to begin with.

I've never really noticed this as a problem myself. I generally use an AoE ability or two (Sweep/cleave/whirling blades/etc) and then a single-target ability such as dual strike or heavy strike in my melee builds and generally I don't have a great deal of trouble targeting enemies.

Maybe a WoW-like combat log might be an idea for this as I think floating text would make the screen too cluttered. Especially for me as I keep loot drop text up at all times, and in big groups of enemies it already becomes a bit hard to see what's happening.

Once you get into the crafting and actually using currency items instead of hoarding currency like you would in other games, this becomes less of an issue. I personally pick up Yellows, anything with 3 linked slots of each colour(a linked red-blue-green) as this yields a chromatic orb upon sale and anything with reasonable slots on it. It's just so hard to find a yellow with the slots you need for skills, so crafting becomes really important, getting the mods/slots you want on a yellow can consume a whole stash of currency items in one hit if you're unlucky.

Personally I find the environments aren't all that boring. There's enough variance in them for me to enjoy them, and I honestly can't see how they'd be worse than say D2. I played D2 a lot, but there were times when I just couldn't push through an area because it got too boring, being so large, with so much same-y environment.

Honestly, I feel it's already a large contender in the genre. The combat feels awesome for me, though I've been building some interesting to play builds (like my current in-and-out claw shadow, does a fair amount of damage, but doesn't survive very long if you stop moving). The sheer range of what you can do is something I find really enjoyable with this game, and even with the new passive tree, it is still technically possible to create some non-class builds, albeit a little more costly to do so.

V_Arnold

LoL, i've started playing and there is 1195 accounts logged! I remember when there was hardly 150 :)

I'll reply tomorrow for Zefah post :) I dont really think that aim assist is good feature in those games, it causes more problems than it should, i've died a lot of times in d3 because of aggressive aim assist.

Did you try using 0 or '~' bound to "move" instead of attack? Aim assist combined with a designated move button rocks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'd really like to hear what kind of problems you think it introduces. I know it's very frustrating and looks extremely stupid to be able to swing my massive staff right through enemies without ever connecting with them simply because my mouse did not hover over the right spot.

How did you die in Diablo 3 due to aim assist, by the way?

eek5

I've never really noticed this as a problem myself. I generally use an AoE ability or two (Sweep/cleave/whirling blades/etc) and then a single-target ability such as dual strike or heavy strike in my melee builds and generally I don't have a great deal of trouble targeting enemies.
It's really bad. Even if an enemy is highlighted when you click sometimes your swings will go right through them and do no damage at all. Terrible hitbox/targeting system.

I guess only using AOE skills is a workaround but it doesn't really solve the issue.

Raxum

It's really bad. Even if an enemy is highlighted when you click sometimes your swings will go right through them and do no damage at all. Terrible hitbox/targeting system.

I guess only using AOE skills is a workaround but it doesn't really solve the issue.

Is that on a character with 100% hit chance? I know that occasionally I click just beside an enemy and it swings there and completely misses, but generally I only miss hitting a target at around about the rate of my miss chance. Which on my marauder I had, Resolute Technique, so it was never unless I clicked in the wrong place. However, my slight lag occasionally makes enemies 'teleport' around the place, which makes it annoying and makes me miss sometimes, or have the appearance of constantly missing because the enemy is in fact behind me or 10m away from where I'm clicking. I usually disregard that though as I'm used to weird bugs like that with australian internet haha, especially with the bad internet area I'm in.

You might be getting stunned during your attacks.
Half of the time it is lag though.

At least it's latency, not designed to be shitty like D3.

eek5

You might be getting stunned during your attacks.
Half of the time it is lag though.

At least it's latency, not designed to be shitty like D3.

That's even dumber if I'm getting stunned and instead of letting me know I got stunned it just shows my character swinging at the air despite my cursor being right on an enemy and the enemy being highlighted in red.

If what I'm seeing is latency then there is an even BIGGER problem because the game reports me at a constant 50ms. I'd hate to see how bad it is for other people if I can't even hit shit on my screen with 50ms lmao.

Also, clicking on an enemy and walking around it instead of attacking it is even worse than the problem described above and I don't think you can attribute that to latency...

Peagles

I just assumed there's an accuracy stat or something, so not even swing will hit, some will be critical, etc.

I also get no lag, unlike Diablo 3, but I am in NZ...

eek5

I just assumed there's an accuracy stat or something, so not even swing will hit, some will be critical, etc.

I also get no lag, unlike Diablo 3, but I am in NZ...

Yes, there is accuracy but there is also a skill called resolute technique which makes every attack hit at the cost of not being able to crit anymore.

Yes I had resolute technique and still missed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And that's a big problem with this game and why it either needs to polish the shit out of the combat and fix the hit boxes/targeting, or add in floating combat text toggle option that lets you know when you missed due to a dice roll. Right now, you can't tell if you are missing due to the accuracy roll, or simple due to the targeting being all fucked up.

It's latency. They say they are going to work on it after they more content into the game. I agree it's pretty bad though. Whirling blades was basically unusable as a damage ability when it first came out.

Also enemies moving just a little bit can cause you to miss.

KKRT00

And that's a big problem with this game and why it either needs to polish the shit out of the combat and fix the hit boxes/targeting, or add in floating combat text toggle option that lets you know when you missed due to a dice roll. Right now, you can't tell if you are missing due to the accuracy roll, or simple due to the targeting being all fucked up.

Grrr still dont have time for proper post [i have even writen one on paper today in free time in work :p], but both games have pros and cons in terms of targeting. D3 targeting hit boxes are too big, they are so big that they can cover even 3 other enemies, also aim assists should be optional and it isnt and they hid latency issues behind console like client side synchronization, that means that game feels fluid and responsive but dont have instant feedback about desyncs and lags. Hit detection has also quite a big assist, You can hit with melee attack from quite far.

I can agree that hit boxes could be a little better, not even for npcs, but for skills general, but what PoE really need in terms of melee combat, is ability to move when You hit, like for 1/10 of Your normal movement, even with shift hold. Being too far and or not close enough is the most problem of melee attacks in hack and slash games, and most action games like GoW or DMC have movement involved into attacks.

I'll write a little more tomorrow [hope so], like for example why You cant circle Your char fluently when You hold mouse button :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see what your problem is with bigger hit boxes. What problems are introduced? All I know is that I hit everything I want to hit, when I want to hit it in games like Diablo 3 and Torchlight/Torchlight 2. In Path of Exile, I'm often missing to attacks going off without a target being recognized. It's just plain frustrating and annoying.

There should never be a situation in these games (outside of misses due to certain skills/accuracy rating) where you are swinging your weapon right through an enemy and not connecting with it because your mouse pointer wasn't in the right place at the time of the swing.

eek5

It's latency.
It goes way deeper than latency. On a bad day I get 60-80ms latency which isn't nearly enough to explain some of the oddities in combat. If 60-80ms is too much for tight combat then there is no way they can fix it lol

I don't see what your problem is with bigger hit boxes. What problems are introduced? All I know is that I hit everything I want to hit, when I want to hit it in games like Diablo 3 and Torchlight/Torchlight 2. In Path of Exile, I'm often missing to attacks going off without a target being recognized. It's just plain frustrating and annoying.
I'd rather have it be more forgiving than less forgiving. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, you can move wherever you want to in D3 because there is a dedicated move button so larger target boxes don't matter. Some of the hit boxes in PoE are microscopic in comparison (as in even if you're clicking on the enemy you aren't clicking on it enough!). It doesn't help that if you click on something and it moves you'll often NOT attack and just walk up to and bump into it instead of attacking. I think there are multiple issues going on with the combat system (small hit boxes, latency, bad pathing/polling speeds for movement, sluggish animations)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's latency. They say they are going to work on it after they more content into the game. I agree it's pretty bad though. Whirling blades was basically unusable as a damage ability when it first came out.

Also enemies moving just a little bit can cause you to miss.

This really pisses me off. It's like the system is rigged to work in the enemies favor both ways. You have both the right area on the enemy highlighted when you trigger the attack and also the appropriate proximity when attack animation completes for the attack to be successful. If everything was based purely on proximity then it would be a lot more fair. You could time your swings to connect when an enemy comes in close, for example.

KKRT00

I don't see what your problem is with bigger hit boxes.

I cant hit what i want to hit and it diminish skill in pvp. It doesnt matter much now, but when they introduce really tactical combat when You have to kill some enemies first, it will be a problem with bigger hit boxes.
Still we should be moving while hitting and they hit detection from skills should be higher. I dont have problem with clicking precisely into the enemy, but when skill swings and hit box is smaller then it should, there is definitely the problem.

Animations are ok, they just should be cancel-able and i dont see problems with movement really. You cant circles, because refresh rate on hold button is around 0.5s, but when You click fast and force input on engine, You can circles same as in D3.

Top Bottom