• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo Picross: Zelda TP leaked (March 31st)

Gameboy415

Oh man, I LOVE Picross games so I hope this is for real! :D

I played both of the Club Nintendo Picross games on my JP 3DS and they were great!
It's a shame they were never released outside of Club Nintendo Japan...

It's not bad value, it just takes time if you don't pay.

I mean, it's bad value for $30 if you unlock the whole thing compared to the e-series, but it's not bad value in and of itself because there's no need to pay that if you have the slightest patience.

It takes an unreasonably large amount of time to get all of the content. The game isn't designed to be completed without paying money.

It takes an unreasonably large amount of time to get all of the content. The game isn't designed to be completed without paying money.

It takes an unreasonably large amount of time for you personally, for the way I play it's fine. Obviously it's designed to have people pay money but that's true of basically all video games, it's not really a criticism.

It takes an unreasonably large amount of time for you personally, for the way I play it's fine. Obviously it's designed to have people pay money but that's true of basically all video games, it's not really a criticism.

There are enough good F2P games (and cheap paid games) out there that actually respect the player's time and money that they idea of giving more of either to Pokemon Picross is kinda laughable. For the amount of money it takes to unlock all of Pokemon Picross ($25), you can get about 4 of the Picross E games on the eshop that EACH have about the same if not more content.

Or if you really want Picross for free and you have a phone you could get Hungry Cat Picross (only $2 if you want to remove the non obtrusive ads) or Paint It Back (which I think you need to pay $3 for to unlock the whole thing). I do like the Pokemon theme and the optional challenges that the game has, but at a certain point it just wasn't worth grinding the boring daily challenge to get more.

Hopefully this Zelda Picross will be a full game reward on My Nintendo and it won't have any of the F2P stuff in it at all.

Oh my god, My Nintendo just eclipsed Club Nintendo
(well, non-JP Club Nintendo)
instantly. I LOVE Jupiter's Picross games.

As has been stated, not all F2P games are designed to wrest money from your wallets. So yes, it's a valid criticism.

Regiruler

I hope this is either fully free, something I can pay for fully at a reasonable price, or something with a lot smaller purchase amounts than Pokemon Picross.

I love Picross, but Pokemon Picross was a really bad value compared to the other Picross games. Im still trying to play it with only putting about $5 into it and there are a good 15 levels or so to unlock before then, which means doing a LOT of daily challenge puzzles.

It's probably a reward, so none of the above.

steveovig

I really hope this is the full game and not anything like Pokemon Picross. I'm a massive Picross fan and have beaten every damn game released in the US, including both Color Cross games. However, I couldn't bring myself to play much of Pokemon Picross. I hated the super powers crap and the F2P crap. Just give me the full game right away.

Doing training for weeks to unlock any feature is an unreasonably large amount of time.

ViciousDS

Banned
Another leak? lol

AjaGYGm.gif

Dryk

Okay, this will get me to sign up early
It's not bad value, it just takes time if you don't pay.

I mean, it's bad value for $30 if you unlock the whole thing compared to the e-series, but it's not bad value in and of itself because there's no need to pay that if you have the slightest patience.
Even then I'm at a hundred hours and haven't made it to 100% completion so it's similar value to the e-series if you want to go for that

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if this is going to be like Pokemon Picross with the Microtransactions, or just some free Picross game that has like 30-50 puzzles to advertise Zelda TP Wii U and My Nintendo.

There are enough good F2P games (and cheap paid games) out there that actually respect the player's time and money...

I'm not saying $30 is good value for the game, in fact I specifically said it wasn't.

But I don't agree with this argument about "respecting the player's time" because I don't think the game disrespects it. It takes a long time to unlock everything in weeks and months, but you're only actually asked to play for 1-2 minutes per day to achieve this, and partake in a challenge which is actually fun (for me, personally, anyway). Over a year that's a time investment of 6-10 hours probably, which is not a staggering amount of time to unlock all the content in a video game.

I'm not gonna sit here and say it's a perfect monetisation model, but the game had to be monetised (it's a game, after all) and I don't have an issue with the way it was done. I feel perfectly capable of seeing all the content having spent less on it than I would an e-series game.

This looks like a bad Photoshop. Like, a really bad Photoshop. The type of Photoshop I might throw together in 5 minutes if I wasn't trying very hard.

Heck, forget I could probably do it in MS Paint if I felt so inclined to.

How is this a real screenshot?

This looks like a bad Photoshop. Like, a really bad Photoshop.The type of Photoshop I might throw together in 5 minutes if I wasn't trying very hard.

Heck, forget I could probably do it in MS Paint if I felt so inclined to.

How is this a real screenshot?

It's a My Nintendo reward. It's probably not something that took much time or money to develop.

Considering how it was found (read the OP), it seems pretty likely to be real.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to know how this will be given to My Nintendo users. I bought a physical copy of TPHD, so I hope it isn't directly tied to having the game. Since Nintendo is trying to sell the Midna and Wolf Link amiibo, I doubt they would split their focus with this reward.

I hope this will be a bonus for signing up by March 31 or something.

I really want to know how this will be given to My Nintendo users. I bought a physical copy of TPHD, so I hope it isn't directly tied to having the game. Since Nintendo is trying to sell the Midna and Wolf Link amiibo, I doubt they would split their focus with this reward.

I hope this will be a bonus for signing up by March 31 or something.

Or it could just be a reward you redeem with My Nintendo coins. It might not be tied to a specific purchase.

evanmisha

100% finished the whole e series, and Mario's Picross
Just working through the last couple of puzzles in Picross 3D, and I'm slowly working my way through Pokemon Picross.

Yeah, I'm in.

lmcontaldi

Neo Member
I really hope this is the full game and not anything like Pokemon Picross. I'm a massive Picross fan and have beaten every damn game released in the US, including both Color Cross games. However, I couldn't bring myself to play much of Pokemon Picross. I hated the super powers crap and the F2P crap. Just give me the full game right away.

For what it's worth, after spending $30 in microtransactions, the entire game unlocked. So the F2P thing worked entirely in your favor.

If you don't play it a lot or don't like it? You don't spend anything.
If you love it and plan on buying microtransactions? You hit the $30 limit unlocking all content, as if it were a normal paid game.

100% finished the whole e series, and Mario's Picross
Just working through the last couple of puzzles in Picross 3D, and I'm slowly working my way through Pokemon Picross.

Yeah, I'm in.

I'm really excited for Picross 3D 2, since it gets rid of one of my least favourite parts about it (that you need to clear out all of the 0's to begin with).

For what it's worth, after spending $30 in microtransactions, the entire game unlocked. So the F2P thing worked entirely in your favor.

If you love it and plan on buying microtransactions? You hit the $30 limit unlocking all content, as if it were a normal paid game.
Well, that just uncovers the actual problem with Pokemon Picross: That it's a bad value as a Picross game.

For $30 you get 300~ puzzles.
Every Picross e game has 150 puzzles for $6.

For $30 you can get 300 Pokemon puzzles or 750 puzzles in the first five Picross e games.

steveovig

Is that how that works? If I spend $30, I don't have to worry about super powers or any garbage like that?

Well, that just uncovers the actual problem with Pokemon Picross: That it's a bad value as a Picross game.

For $30 you get 300~ puzzles.

You're just totally ignoring that you can also get 300 puzzles for nothing, or almost any amount in between. It's not good or bad value by itself, it depends what each individual player puts in.

1. $30 is actually a lot for the contents it has. I mean, it would be the most expensive digital game on the eShop, outside retail games that are only-digital in Western countries;
2. The actual monetization scheme is awful in that, ij order to earn in-game currencies, you are forced to use Pokémon abilities and distort the game difficulty.
3. The game is also awful in how every aspect is behind paywalls. There's content locking ON TOP OF time charging bar that can be filled using in-game currencies.
4. How currencies can be bought is also worrying because once you bought a specifics currency bundle, this is no more available, therefore the game forces you to spend as it wants (that's my experience at least).

I thought the important thing about this news is not picross games are good or bad. It's about that My Nintendo service may start on March 31. Right?

How many mural puzzles are there as well, 200?
128. But they aren't all worth a full puzzle since most are ridiculously easy.
The game definitely has a lot of content and I'd definitely have felt I've got my monies worth for $30. As it stands I've actually paid about $16 and managed to unlock everything other than the mega pencil. And actually I've kind of messes up there by going for that last since you can earn around 380 one you unlocked that, so those will be going towards nothing.

humansewer

Neo Member
while I am on the side that some of the microtransaction stuff in pokemon picross was gross, i had fun with it and look forwards to any excuse to try out more picross

This does give me more hope for this 'my nintendo' thing surpassing club nintendo

128. But they aren't all worth a full puzzle since most are ridiculously easy

Ah, 8x8 not 10x10, I couldn't remember. But yeah, that's a fair comment, just thought it worth including a mention of them at least!

while I am on the side that some of the microtransaction stuff in pokemon picross was gross, i had fun with it and look forwards to any excuse to try out more picross

This does give me more hope for this 'my nintendo' thing surpassing club nintendo

This is a the problem with GAF sometimes, the hyperbole is ridiculous. Obviously it's pretty clear by now I don't really have an issue with the way Pokémon Picross has been monetised but calling it "gross" is just absurd when you consider the other shit that happens in videogames.

Gross would be microtransactions in a game you already paid for. Gross would be changing the game after release to add or encourage microtransactions. Gross would be multiplayer games where you can only be competitive if you buy microtransactions. Gross would be ruining the balance of a game to encourage people to pay. Gross would be anything that adversely affects the actual gameplay so a player feels like they can only complete it if they pay. Gross would be claiming your game is "free" but paywalling specific content.

All Pokémon Picross does is ask you to wait a little while. It sucks if you're impatient, but it's hardly "gross." In fact, it does the one specific thing that people ALWAYS ask for in free-to-play threads, "I wish I could just pay once and unlock everything."

It depends how much you want to play, I'm still playing the Pokemon one and am about half way through and haven't spent anything. I do the daily challenges and every so often get a burst of new content when a section opens up. It's enough to keep me entertained every day, plus with the Zelda one too I'll be able to switch between the two.

I'd rather have something that was fun every day for a whole year than spend the money and blast through the whole game in one week!

humansewer

Neo Member
Yeah, obviously plenty of other games are worse, but bad is still bad, and I'd rather not just let my standards slip. Every f2p game with a 'three games and then wait" function is just unbearable to me. It takes something fun and interrupts it constantly to ask for more money. I'd rather pay upfront then have a game constantly nagging me.

Yeah, obviously plenty of other games are worse, but bad is still bad, and I'd rather not just let my standards slip. Every f2p game with a 'three games and then wait" function is just unbearable to me. It takes something fun and interrupts it constantly to ask for more money. I'd rather pay upfront than have a game constantly nagging me.

But you can.

Yeah, obviously plenty of other games are worse, but bad is still bad, and I'd rather not just let my standards slip. Every f2p game with a 'three games and then wait" function is just unbearable to me. It takes something fun and interrupts it constantly to ask for more money. I'd rather pay upfront then have a game constantly nagging me.
You can!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I thought the important thing about this news is not picross games are good or bad. It's about that My Nintendo service may start on March 31. Right?

That's what I think is the big news. Firmware updates will be rolled out, (only) digital loyalty rewards will return, and Miitomo will probably release, this is huge news.

Date could change though.

Top Bottom