• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Neonep

That's a good post Dahbomb. I had not realized that the reaction to Mahvel could be the culmination of years-long gestating feelings of negativity surround all-things Capcpom. I had forgotten how much of a disaster SFxT was.

Yep very good post. Also this goes deeper than just fighting games with Capcom. He explained the PR nightmare that was MVC:I and the crazy part is DmC PR was worse, way worse.

Neonep

Yeah but we learned about it 6 months after. That's a pretty short time from game's release to announcing another version coming soon. I should probably edit that but man that post got big mad quick.

Didn't they put it out so fast because the deal with Marvel was about to expire and it was either get it out then or not at all? Or is that completely wrong.

Neonep

They could've put it out later but then they would've competed with SFxT.

Seems right, that's the same thing with when MVC:I & MHW. Only reason MVC:I came out last week was because they don't want it near MHW. I'm fucking curious as to the state of what Itsuno is working on cause this shit has me worried.

poodaddy

I bought Pokken and I'm not a fan of Pokemon at all.

I passed on MVCI and I'm an absolutely massive comic nerd and a huge fan of 90's Capcom.

That probably communicates how dire the situation with MVCI is/is going to be.

Top 3 worst PRs have to be DmC, MVCI and ME:Andromeda.
Ummm... Andromeda's PR wasn't actually that bad. There was a good bit of hype for the game before release especially when we got closer to the launch. What killed Andromeda was that early access period which turned the game into a meme.

I still think that game doesn't deserve half of the hate that it gets. I bought it day 1 and despite its many flaws (which some of them have been fixed with updates), it was a very fun game that actually pushed the ME series forward in some ways. But unfortunately Andromeda and ME series as a whole are dead
#SavetheQuarians :(

Dahbomb

It's simple in that the reasoning is straightforward. The history is long but easy to follow once you know where to begin.

And yeah MKX having story mode and MVC3 didn't was also a factor. Ono specifically said that they will be making story mode for their fighting games in the future.

Doesn't that usually happen to most games?

Only when they're overshipped and the games aren't selling relative to how many copies they made. Some companies like ubisoft and assassins creed sometimes seem to do this almost on purpose. Nintendo is the obvious example of a company that tries to avoid that at all times.

I'm not convinced capcom has ever done it on purpose.

jett

D-Member
It's simple in that the reasoning is straightforward. The history is long but easy to follow once you know where to begin.

And yeah MKX having story mode and MVC3 didn't was also a factor. Ono specifically said that they will be making story mode for their fighting games in the future.

People were actually asking for a story mode in MvC3? Why? It's bound to end up being the dumbest shit possible, no matter how well-made it is. It's such a nonsensical concept.

Artanisix

i watched floe play through the mvci story mode and it was legitimately one of the worst things i've seen in a long time

plus what kind of assholes are capcom that they fucking HAVE THE DLC CHARACTERS WALKING AROUND IN THE STORY MODE like seriously what, the way that was executed wasn't hype, it was complete anti-hype

also m'lore is all fucked up like scientist ryu cmonBruh

Because those pre-release trailers came out and made it seem like there'd be some sort of story.

And capcom staff at the time were talking it up how they had writers from Marvel working on the backstory and what not. People had expectations, the best we got was that mini comic with the initial release @.@

If they use this as a reason not to port FighterZ then, I won't even know what to say. I don't even care for a FighterZ Switch port myself as I'll be buying elsewhere, but this Xenoverse 2 port was doomed to fail given the fact that it's retailing at £49.99+ and FighterZ is receiving so much hype.

It's sold out in japan atm

People were actually asking for a story mode in MvC3? Why? It's bound to end up being the dumbest shit possible, no matter how well-made it is. It's such a nonsensical concept.
In a post MK9 world, IIRC there was some mix signals in the PR saying there was some sort of plot thing and people got excited only to get dashed on release day.

Compbros

Random promotional nonsense.

But with them talking about hiring Marvel writers coupled with what looks like some weird new virus they're all chasing as well as a convergence event of course people would think there's some semblance of a story. Also, I can't remember the last time any publisher/dev had promotional stuff like this that lead to literally nothing.

don't touch me you filthy casual

It was more than just having a story. MK9 was a more fully featured game than MvC3. Vanilla Marvel 3 didn't even have spectator mode in its online lobbies, so it appeared half baked compared to SSF4. MK9 had this elaborate King of the Hill lobby thing.

At the time this is where the terms "content" and "barebones" caught a lot of wind.

jett

D-Member
Well if they actually promised a story, then I can see why people expected one obviously.

Those trailers though, I personally never expected anything out of those. Nothing happens. Extreme camera angles and randomness. I just now noticed none of them even feature any dialogue or voice acting of any sort, like not even grunts and shit.

Compbros

In a post MK9 world, IIRC there was some mix signals in the PR saying there was some sort of plot thing and people got excited only to get dashed on release day.

Even before release, I remember someone streaming through their webcam that had gotten a copy about 2 weeks before release. He went through Arcade mode and showed off Galactus and the chat asked several times if there was a story mode or not.

Really loved MvC3, but this...
Other than awful art style, it looks like a game under Marvel movies influence with same old characters. MvC3 had some interesting characters like MODOK, Super Skrull, Taskmaster + X-Men characters and Deadpool, but Infinite looks like a game based on MCU.
Capcom characters aren't interesting too and 90% of them are coming from MvC3.

New characters is not a fix, to be fair i don't know how they are supposed to fix MvC I the game faults are nothing you can fix through patches and updates easily.

the main problem is the visual design (or the lack of)..

pending a major overhaul of the visuals, which i think is impossible, i really don't know how Capcom can 'fix' MvCI for the non-FGC gamer

Synth

But with them talking about hiring Marvel writers coupled with what looks like some weird new virus they're all chasing as well as a convergence event of course people would think there's some semblance of a story. Also, I can't remember the last time any publisher/dev had promotional stuff like this that lead to literally nothing.

Halo 5 #HuntTheTruth... :(

Really loved MvC3, but this...
Other than awful art style, it looks like a game under Marvel movies influence with same old characters. MvC3 had some interesting characters like MODOK, Super Skrull, Taskmaster + X-Men characters and Deadpool, but Infinite looks like a game based on MCU.
Capcom characters aren't interesting too and 90% of them are coming from MvC3.

it goes beyond marvel characters though...even Capcom's roster lacked hype and i'm sure i'm not the 1st person to question Spencer, Nemesis, Mike Haggar's inclusion.....why not Leon S Kennedy, More Darkstalkers characters, etc..or even create NEW original capcom characters like they did for MvC2 for Ruby Heart? Really...seeing Spencer in that original roster while Monster Hunter as DLC is really insulting.

Alienous

Watching MvC3's episodic trailers really drives home how Infinite has been on the path towards poor sales from the beginning.

it goes beyond marvel characters though...even Capcom's roster lacked hype and i'm sure i'm not the 1st person to question Spencer, Nemesis, Mike Haggar's inclusion.....why not Leon S Kennedy, More Darkstalkers characters, etc..or even create NEW original capcom characters like they did for MvC2 for Ruby Heart? Really...seeing Spencer in that original roster while Monster Hunter as DLC is really insulting.

What's your beef with Haggar? He's a classic Capcom character that fufills a role (being a grappler). I'd honestly rather have him than any weirdo OC characters like the ones from MVC2.

VariantX

A very detailed and accurate description of why Capcom is where it is when it comes to FG's and the casual audience

It feels like Capcom only wants to address their issues in a vacuum. They want to pretend the competition hasn't raised the bar in anyway. They just want to check the box and move on. You simply can't do that while everyone else is doing more or doing the same thing but better. How the hell are you lowering your production values in a market where everyone else is raising theirs? Its good the game has excellent online performance and you can get into matches pretty quickly, but that only mostly matters for people who are going to buy your game no matter what. Now theres a problem that when you add popular characters back, you have to buy them and its ONLY a problem because Capcom likely intentionally left those characters out to boost DLC sales. Looking at the roster and the story mode, there are plenty of Capcom characters that really could have been replaced by others because they serve little purpose in the story...(looking at Arthur, Spencer, and Firebrand specifically.) How the hell is Chris and Umbrella (Aimbrella) in the game but no Wesker who is Mr. Fucking Umbrella himself??

DrArchon

Don't forget that there was that massive PSN outage right after both MK9 and Vanilla Mv3 released, meaning that there was literally nothing to do with people's brand new copies of MvC3 other than practice in the lab while everyone who bought MK9 were spending that month or so going through story mode and the challenge tower. That really cemented the idea that fighting games NEED story modes in a lot of players minds.

I was on Gamefaqs at the time and the MvC3 players were fucking salty as hell about it because they couldn't do anything meaningful with their new game while the MK9 guys were rubbing it in their faces. It was hilarious (if only because I didn't buy MvC3 because I was waiting on netcode impressions).

Dr. Buni

I refuse to buy MvCI after getting screwed by MvC3 getting a Ultimate edition 9 months after release.
For me, there are no interesting characters whatsoever in the game. Well, there is Nemesis, but that is it. I liked Jill (MvC2), Tron Bonne, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, X23.. Those are all gone.

Also, Mortal Kombat X spoiled with its story mode. Other fighting games should follow the example.

Capcom's just being super reactive.

One of the main complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was the lack of a single player story mode similar to the awesome CGI trailers used to market the game. The game was even marketed as having a story, which pissed even more people off when Arcade mode was the only story we got.

It's the same reason we have Megaman X and soon Sigma in the roster, with X literally being the first character shown for the game. One of the biggest complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was how Capcom was "disrespecting" Megaman, so even when they gutted the rest of the roster they made sure to include Megaman.

So congrats, we got our story mode and we got our Megaman.
Yeah, there’s a big focus on Megaman for the game.

Wonder what happened to Capcom with basically all of their recent fighting games having a mixed reception.
Starting with SFxT, right?

Nanashrew

Banned
Capcom's just being super reactive.

One of the main complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was the lack of a single player story mode similar to the awesome CGI trailers used to market the game. The game was even marketed as having a story, which pissed even more people off when Arcade mode was the only story we got.

It's the same reason we have Megaman X and soon Sigma in the roster, with X literally being the first character shown for the game. One of the biggest complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was how Capcom was "disrespecting" Megaman, so even when they gutted the rest of the roster they made sure to include Megaman.

So congrats, we got our story mode and we got our Megaman.

It's like a monkey paw wish. I wanted Mega Man to return because he was one of my mains and I loved playing as him (not to mention a big fan of his games!). Here he is but the rest of my favorite characters are gone!

MVCI MEGA BOMBED

I'm pretty sure SFV PS4 outsold MVCI.

MVCI XB1 nowhere to be seen.

Holy shit.

Capcom did a lot of weird stuff.

* Completely shunning anything associated with Netflix despite how popular the Netflix stuff is proving to be.
* Weird character selection from the Capcom side.
* Completely shunning the X-Men just to hope that somehow it contributes to Fox not want to make Marvel movies anymore
* Saying it's all about the MCU but then there's no Black Widow despite her being a pretty major character in like 3 billion dollar grossing movies and a legitimate Avenger character whose only gotten more and more screen time as the MCU has continued.
* General lack of female characters in general
* DLC to get MCU characters that have been in a ton of movies and even have their own solo film
* They released a terrible, terrible demo to the public while they apparently had a secret good demo that they only brought to conventions. A lot of people were successfully fooled into thinking it's a terrible game. Congrats?
* Banning X-Men characters and then trying to make people feel like they're stupid for wanting these characters
* Claiming characters are simply functions and nostalgia is a dumb reason to put characters in a game... then relying on old stalwarts like Chun-li and Ryu for the 5 billionth time. Ken wasn't in MVC3. If it's just functions, why not switch it up and throw in Ken or any other shoto on the planet?
* The reality of Ultimate MVC3 and Ultra SF4 will lead a lot of people to just not buy Capcom fighters until the second, more feature and roster rich version comes out.

I honestly don't get why Filipino Champ and Justin Wong had to get street leaked copies. Why the hell wouldn't they give away like a hundred copies to tournament players and people like Persia and Yipes pre-launch? They could have generated a lot more excitement if they were willing to lose like 100 sales from game that will probably sell at least a million copies. DBZ has had multiple open betas (and not with the shitty version of the game, like the actual good version that's actually a fighting game) and people are getting to see how cool it is for months. Why did Capcom/Marvel not do something like that? All they had was that crappy demo and then rumors that there was actually a mythical good demo out there in the ether.

Capcom did a lot of weird stuff.

-snip-.

I mean yeah, but some of those were clearly Marvel side choices. Marvel has been axing X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic 4, and some other characters now in multimedia since their MCU began and they could not wrestle control of the full IP from Fox. Their removal from games, not just this one, is not a Capcom choice im almost 100% sure. Heck Marvel Heroes a free to play Action RPG recently released on console as a port from PC, while removing certain heroes that were and still are in the PC version. Guess which characters...

Dabanton

Wow I though Infinite was out in October.

But those trailers made any hype I had for the game bottom out.

Oh well at least we have MvC3 to still play.

Top Bottom