• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

A lack of sexy girls stopped me from buying the game. I think Morrigan looked better in MvC3 too.
I also wonder how much the lack of X-men affected others? Are they well known to teens these days? Are the MCU characters too "Disney"/clean/boring?

MCU is way more popular in the mainstream than X-Men. The current generation are probably fans of Fox's X-Men since nobody reads comics. Wolverine and Deadpool are like the only X-Men characters that have mainstream recognition. It's not the 90s anymore.

A lack of sexy girls stopped me from buying the game. I think Morrigan looked better in MvC3 too.
I also wonder how much the lack of X-men affected others? Are they well known to teens these days? Are the MCU characters too "Disney"/clean/boring?

Joke post? Sorry, but these days I can never really tell anymore.

Sesha

Even with no X-Men or Dr. Doom they could have made this more of a success. But the game looked cheap from the word go, and the marketing didn't inspire much more confidence.

ZenTzen

Really feels like Capcom is out of touch with the entire fighting game formula. It's ironic that Street Fighter IV brought the genre back to the masses and now the same people behind that game are shooting themselves in the foot over and over with their newest titles.
Yes, but the only real issue with MvC is general art direction and presentation, and a less than ideal roster, PR is what it is, i cant fault capcom for that, since at least 2 of these issues is marvels fault, so capcom was given a timebomb that blew up in their faces, but gameplay is amazing and online has been fantastic as well

Ivan 3414

MCU is way more popular in the mainstream than X-Men. The current generation are probably fans of Fox's X-Men since nobody reads comics. Wolverine and Deadpool are like the only X-Men characters that have mainstream recognition. It's not the 90s anymore.

It's a bit hyperbolic to say that only two X-Men have "mainstream recognition", when the last Xmen movie did 500m, and the movie before that did over 750m.

Perineum

MvCI Offer this:

Fun gameplay both for casuals and high levels that is not only fun to do yourself but fun to watch.

Netcode that is ace! One of the best netcodes we've gotten in a fighting game. Hats off for this.

The character's that are here are an absolute blast to play and are MUCH different from UMvC3 so they are fresh.

--------

That's it. The SP content that is here is minimal and poorly done. The UI is crap. Visuals leave a lot to be desired. Hell even simple things like different outfits and colors are extremely lacking when compared to any other fighter in the genre. 4 colors per character? Wtf? Mediocre soundtrack. Story mode is trash(skipped every cut scene after a while).

The list goes on and on for negatives for this game as someone who owns it yet...

I can't put the damn thing down. It is my favorite vs game since CvS2, and the gameplay loop is crack. This is not snore fighter 5 so they learned their lesson there that this game will be a treat to keep playing and watching for years to come.

I encourage folks who like fun gameplay and good netcode to grab it when the price seems right for them. You won't be disappointed by that part of it at all.

MrMephistoX

All fighting games should follow the Killer Instinct and Dead or Alive model. F2P with the option to purchase a season pass: $89.99 for the full experience is a bit much. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel Contest of Champions earns more than this in a week...

All fighting games should follow the Killer Instinct and Dead or Alive model. F2P with the option to purchase a season pass: $89.99 for the full experience is a bit much. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel Contest of Champions earns more than this in a week...

That'd be one way to salvage this imo. Don't think it can go the traditional route.

I really wanted to buy Infinite from what I've played from a friend who owns it but the $60 price tag + season pass is asking way too much for what's clearly a budgeted game rushed out.

Should there be a price drop or good discounts, I'll definitely buy it then.

If I only had to pay $15 for the 3 characters that look decent in the game (Jedah, Thanos, Monster Hunter), I'd jump in.

But it won't take too long to drop to $20 for the whole package anyway.

MrMephistoX

If I only had to pay $15 for the 3 characters that look decent in the game (Jedah, Thanos, Monster Hunter), I'd jump in.

But it won't take too long to drop to $20 for the whole package anyway.

That’s the brilliant part of KI too though since the free characters rotate...I think with DOA you get 4 permanent characters and go from there. You would think arcade devs of all people would be embracing this pricing model it’s the modern equivalent of pumping quarters...with Costumes DOA is profitable as hell.

Jawmuncher

That’s the brilliant part of KI too though since the free characters rotate...I think with DOA you get 4 permanent characters and go from there. You would think arcade devs of all people would be embracing this pricing model...with Costumes DOA is profitable as hell.

I will say for such a system to work. Character rotation needs to be more decent. For the longest time in KI that shit was non-existent. It was Sabre-Wulf as the free character for months on end at one point.

The gameplay is great. Everything else is terrible. That's been the consensus of this game from the jump.

Capcom has been going downhill for awhile, but I don't think current Marvel is that much better, tbh. No X-Men, classic Marvel OST's being replaced with orchestral shit, an artstyle that rivals Contest of Champions. Yeah, Marvel totally didn't have a hand in this game.

The Capcom side of the roster and content is also bad. My main point is the issues plaguing this game were a combined effort.

That’s the brilliant part of KI too though since the free characters rotate...I think with DOA you get 4 permanent characters and go from there. You would think arcade devs of all people would be embracing this pricing model it’s the modern equivalent of pumping quarters...with Costumes DOA is profitable as hell.

KI has Jago available for everyone for free. And one character that's free for a week that rotates every week.

DoA5 has literally the same thing with 4 characters available for everyone for free with 2 characters rotating every week.

It's weird that characters like Mystique or Nightcrawler were never playable considering how major they are/were. Instead we got Marrow and Spiral.

Idk about Marrow but Spiral was a pretty popular X-villain.

The last time Marrow appeared in X-Men she looked like a wannabe Tank Girl.

MrMephistoX

KI has Jago available for everyone for free. And one character that's free for a week that rotates every week.

DoA5 has literally the same thing with 4 characters available for everyone for free with 2 characters rotating every week.

DOA is an even better model for MCVI then since it’s 2v2. I’m a sucker and bought the full version of DOA 5 and KI so didn’t realize the particulars thx! Seems like it wouldn’t be hard for Capcom to retcon in F2P...if I recall DOA5 last gen didn’t Light the world on fire and then they introduced core fighters a few months later and on the current gen so you never know.

TWILT

Banned
Good stuff to Pokken; been really enjoying the game especially with Scizor and Decidueye in.

MVCI...I really excited when the game was first announced, but every new piece of news I heard/seen about it (from the fugly visuals, poor roster decisions, DLC practices, "functions", etc.), it kept turning me off and off from the game that I decided to not to buy it day 1 I just wouldn't feel right getting it with all the frustrations I have. UMVC3 is probably my favorite fighter last gen too. :/ Guess it won't take long for this game to hit bargain prices I guess at least.

Neff

MvCI is the first time since SFII on the SNES that there's been a tentpole Capcom fighting game for hardware I own that I haven't bought. The game looks underwhelming, features almost exactly the same roster (albeit with less characters) than MvC3, and SFV left a bad taste in my mouth which remains to this day. I really wish I could say I'm at least interested in this game, but I'm just not.

nded

That'd be one way to salvage this imo. Don't think it can go the traditional route.

Capcom keeps saying they want to make 'service games' but are too accustomed to $60 retail buy-ins and $30 DLC packs to give them up. It's maddening when you consider that they made their bones in coin-op arcade games, which were literally games as a service.

Capcom keeps saying they want to make 'service games' but are too accustomed to $60 retail buy-ins and $30 DLC packs to give them up. It's maddening when you consider that they made their bones in coin-op arcade games, which were literally games as a service.

Most service games have you buy full price upfront. Capcom isn't any different on that end.

Blueblur1

"But guys, it's just nostalgia! The sales mean nothing. Everyone will realize how bad Crash Bandicoot was & move on."

*AHEM*

Gloating aside, Pokkèn outdoing a highly-anticipated Capcom fighter felt surreal the last time. This time, it's just a port of Pokkèn, but I'm actually less surprised due to how poorly MvC was handled this time around. I want it to pull through, but I'm not too optimistic here.

People love to talk trash about old platformers that aren't Mario. It is some crazy revisionist history shit.

Synth

Not anymore.

Which is why it underperformed.

Also it was a mediocre movie.

I definitely would say it being a mediocre movie was a bigger contributing factor. Plus, it's still the 2nd highest grossing mainline X-Men movie, and only slightly below Logan, and above both X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine.

The fact remains though, that Wolverine was hardly the face of that movie.

Toxi

Banned
MvCI is the first time since SFII on the SNES that there's been a tentpole Capcom fighting game for hardware I own that I haven't bought. The game looks underwhelming, features almost exactly the same roster (albeit with less characters) than MvC3, and SFV left a bad taste in my mouth which remains to this day. I really wish I could say I'm at least interested in this game, but I'm just not.
My best friend practically worships Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. We still play the game together to this day.

He's not buying Infinite because all his favorite characters (Like Vergil) are gone and the game looks ugly. And I'm not buying the game either.

nded

Most service games have you buy full price upfront. Capcom isn't any different on that end.

Really I'm just taking issue with Capcom using that term as if it's this new strategy when they're really just doing the same stuff they've been doing since SFIV. Just with more granularity and a higher price tag.

Ivan 3414

And who was the face of the last couple of X-Men movies?

I'm not claiming that Wolverine and Deadpool aren't the money-makers, but X-Men is still a huge franchise. Perhaps there were characters equal in popularity with Wolverine that have recently fallen by the wayside, but X-Men, as a property, did not peak in the 90s. It peaked this decade. The most successful movies of the main series were just a few years ago. Mystique may not be a fixture of school lunchboxes but I hesitate to think that no one knows who she is when her prominent role is played by one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood.

MrCarter

Man, I remember the age of Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, Capcom vs SNK...

My childhood is only a phantom of the past.

What you have done to yourself, Capcom?

I don’t think any of those titles lit up the charts either. It’s just now we put sales on a far higher pedestal in order to justify our purchase. Game is still highly playable however the overall package is not.

NexusCell

Man, I remember the age of Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, Capcom vs SNK...

My childhood is only a phantom of the past.

What you have done to yourself, Capcom?

They spent so much money chasing the hypothetical "Western" and "Mobile" Markets that they can't make the lower budget games that helped build up its fanbase.

MKX, Injustice 2 & Tekken 7 show there is still a place for full priced fighting game releases, they just need to hit all the same marks they did.

F2P approach is definitely a good option as well but would be a huge fall for Capcom (not so much now I guess!).

Kashiwaba

MKX, Injustice 2 & Tekken 7 show there is still a place for full priced fighting game releases, they just need to hit all the same marks they did.

F2P approach is definitely a good option as well but would be a huge fall for Capcom (not so much now I guess!).

It's still too early to call MvC I a bomb, but everyone is calling SFV a bomb even though it sold more than T7 when it's only on two systems instead of 3. It makes me wonder i think people are overestimating the sales of fighting games because of Smash and Injustice, but those two games seems to be the exception and not the norm. Well smash is Nintendo game and most Nintendo games sell and Injustice have DC and is backed by Warner bros with a budget that's probably way more than SFV and MvC I combined.

Injustice 2 marketing was insane I was literally counting down the days until Injustice 2 came out with like 200 days before launch. I only got MVC because I want to support fighting games on Xbox one but the roster sucks and I wasn't excited at all and have only played maybe 2 hours if they had put Monster Hunter and Venom in the base roster I'd be playing it every day alongside Injustice 2.

casiopao

It will crazy lol. If Pokken end up beating Infinity WW lol.

Infinity is such a failed product that it flopping is not surprising at all.

It will crazy lol. If Pokken end up beating Infinity WW lol.

Infinity is such a failed product that it flopping is not surprising at all.

This is almost guaranteed to happen. Infinite is definitely not going to open strong in the US.

Amazon US isn't the best indicator of sales, but the Video Game Bestseller charts are always fun to look at.

Pokken DX is currently #20
ARMS is currently #144 (it launched three and a half months ago)
The PS4 version of MvC:Infinite is currently #161. The XB1 version is #398.

casiopao

This is almost guaranteed to happen. Infinite is definitely not going to open strong in the US.

Amazon US isn't the best indicator of sales, but the Video Game Bestseller charts are always fun to look at.

Pokken DX is currently #20
ARMS is currently #144 (it launched three and a half months ago)
The PS4 version of MvC:Infinite is currently #161. The XB1 version is #398.

Capcom is soooo screwed lol. First SFV bomba and failed to reach expectations and now this Mega bomba?

Hell, it is going to be funny if ARMS in the end beat SFV number and Pokken did much much better vs MvCI lol.

It's still too early to call MvC I a bomb, but everyone is calling SFV a bomb even though it sold more than T7 when it's only on two systems instead of 3.

Actually it caught up with Street Fighter a month ago. It's probably past it now.

If Tekken somehow stagnated hard for the next year and barely sell any more units past that point, I would agree with saying SFV is a bomb is too premature.

Top Bottom