• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

MrMephistoX

I guess Capcom fighters are going to be dead again, save for another 20 re-releases of SFII.

I fucking hope not really don’t want to go back to only having 3D fighters like Tekken and MK as the only options outside of SNK and Arc System Works niche stuff. My hope is that Capcom tries to save the game by going balls out with DLC and or F2P before throwing in the towel...hell id prefer someone just buying Capcom and being satisfied with decent not astronomical sales to keep SF alive.

Makes me sad because the game plays so well, but I can’t say it’s undeserved. The roster should be way better. No Defenders or Fantastic Four. Not even any X-Men or Dr. Doom. Shit is mind boggling. And the art style leaves much to be desired to say the least.

MrMephistoX

Makes me sad because the game plays so well, but I can’t it’s undeserved. The roster should be way better. No Defenders or Fantastic Four. Not even any X-Men or Dr. Doom. Shit is mind boggling. And the art style leaves much to be desired to say the least.

Given the roster we got and various comments from the devs here and there I can’t help but think Capcom’s plan has always been to ride the DLC gravy train...it’s kind of like they half assed the F2P model already but they don’t have the install base to fulfill that plan.

I have to wonder why Capcom put out a single player campaign if they couldn’t make it any good.

The visuals are bad but it’s made worse when you call attention to it via poorly voiced, written, and animated cutscenes.

I have to wonder if they cheaped out due to the license being expensive since Marvel is likely in more demand than ever.

Kashiwaba

Actually it caught up with Street Fighter a month ago. It's probably past it now.

If Tekken somehow stagnated hard for the next year and barely sell any more units past that point, I would agree with saying SFV is a bomb is too premature.

I really doubt it, fighting games other than smash and to a certain degree Injustice are front loaded with almost no legs, and if Amazon is an indicator SFV is higher on the list than T7 now and on steamspy too.

jrDev

Jesus Christ at the irony of this ad being in this thread!

B9A0FCB0-714E-4424-899D-547CEE7A0B5C_zpsq2frhw7t.png

I really doubt it, fighting games other than smash and to a certain degree Injustice are front loaded with almost no legs, and if Amazon is an indicator SFV is higher on the list than T7 now and on steamspy too.
Maybe Mortal kombat as well? But yeah very few fighting games continue to have legs.

Funny tho, I think Brawl still managed to sell (or shipped?) over half a million last year. At least I remember a thread about it.

MrMephistoX

I have to wonder why Capcom put out a single player campaign if they couldn’t make it any good.

The visuals are bad but it’s made worse when you call attention to it via poorly voiced, written, and animated cutscenes.

I have to wonder if they cheaped out due to the license being expensive since Marvel is likely in more demand than ever.

They listened to the fans? People were livid about the lack of arcade or story mode in SFV at launch and so they put a big chunk of the budget into something they thought would grow the audience. Also have to imagine they saw Tekken 7 and the Netherrealm games and thought having superior gameplay wasn’t enough when those titles sold well thus drawing the conclusion that westerners value story mode more than gameplay and a robust roster. Shitty thing is that storymode locks them into this roster early on with no flexibility to change it up without wasting budget. Given the way it ends I’m wondering if they have a season 2 story mode planned with the DLC characters...

Toxi

Banned

Capcom's just being super reactive.

One of the main complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was the lack of a single player story mode similar to the awesome CGI trailers used to market the game. The game was even marketed as having a story, which pissed even more people off when Arcade mode was the only story we got.

It's the same reason we have Megaman X and soon Sigma in the roster, with X literally being the first character shown for the game. One of the biggest complaints about Marvel vs Capcom 3 was how Capcom was "disrespecting" Megaman, so even when they gutted the rest of the roster they made sure to include Megaman.

So congrats, we got our story mode and we got our Megaman.

casiopao

Maybe Mortal kombat as well? But yeah very few fighting games continue to have legs.

Funny tho, I think Brawl still managed to sell (or shipped?) over half a million last year. At least I remember a thread about it.

ARMS actually is having a decent leg in Japan though.

You really doubt it caught up or you really doubt it past it?

Cause the former was released in financial papers.

Otheradam

The only reason Disney even allowed Capcom to make this game is to promote the MCU, that is pretty obvious. I'm already kind of burnt out on all these super heroes. Bring back mutants.

Kashiwaba

T7 is, from what I've read, the most profitable arcade Tekken of all time. So whatever Namco sell of the console and PC versions is basically gravy.
Ya, it was stupid on Capcom and SNK side to not release their games on arcade, that's where Japanese and Korean people play fighting games.

They listened to the fans? People were livid about the lack of arcade or story mode in SFV at launch and so they put a big chunk of the budget into something they thought would grow the audience. Also have to imagine they saw Tekken 7 and the Netherrealm games and thought having superior gameplay wasn’t enough when those titles sold well thus drawing the conclusion that westerners value story mode more than gameplay and a robust roster. Shitty thing is that storymode locks them into this roster early on with no flexibility to change it up without wasting budget. Given the way it ends I’m wondering if they have a season 2 story mode planned with the DLC characters...

they took the wrong lessons then...people want a GOOD and HYPED story mode...

Capcom shit out story modes for both this and SFV but neither of them were good or even managed to hype the people playing it.

I was watching Max's stream and he summed up my thoughts: Playing the story modes of T7 and Netherrealm games get you pumped due to the presentation, music and most fight feels important (like the fight between Akuma vs Heihatchi in the temple or Heihatchi vs Kazuya at the end or all the crazy shit going on in MKX)....Capcom story modes basically just throw you in the control of random characters fighting random characters in one round fights with zero context or importance to the story at all......And the end fights were 100% downer....

Ya, it was stupid on Capcom and SNK side to not release their games on arcade, that's where Japanese and Korean people play fighting games.

KOF14 will be on arcade soon as the game itself got an arcade mode out of the box..

SFV for whatever reason...was reluctant to get into arcade or have an arcade mode..(until the inevitable revision next year)..

Kashiwaba

they took the wrong lessons then...people want a GOOD and HYPED story mode...

Capcom shit out story modes for both this and SFV but neither of them were good or even managed to hype the people playing it.

I was watching Max's stream and he summed up my thoughts: Playing the story modes of T7 and Netherrealm games get you pumped due to the presentation, music and most fight feels important (like the fight between Akuma vs Heihatchi in the temple or Heihatchi vs Kazuya at the end or all the crazy shit going on in MKX)....Capcom story modes basically just throw you in the control of random characters fighting random characters in one round fights with zero context or importance to the story at all......And the end fights were 100% downer....

Seriously i wouldn't put T7 story mode and Netherrealm (Injustice 2) story mode in the same sentence lol, while T7 story mode is better than capcom, still both of them are garbage compared to Injustice 2 story mode.

Seriously i wouldn't put T7 story mode and Netherrealm (Injustice 2) story mode in the same sentence lol, while T7 story mode is better than capcom, still both of them are garbage compared to Injustice 2 story mode.

the thing is..i am hyped when playing the T7 story mode especially when they flashed back to all the past tekken cutscenes (like Tekken 5's where Heihatchi vs army of jacks)...

MvCI and SFV got nothing of the hyped. I have such high hopes for Necalli being some sort of super boss and he turns out to be nothing but a pile of goo appearing randomly without logic......Nash sacrifice himself by self-destruct with Bison......only for Bison to appear unharm without consequences and relies on Ryu to finish it.......it's like there's no cause or consequences and just random stuff happening...and MvC follow this template as well without carrying any hype on any of the fights.

Could someone honestly explain to me why they think MVCi bombed this hard?

I'm looking for the most cohesive argument if possible.

lack of trust from general audience due to bad precedence (SFV) + the ugliest visual in a fighting game this gen + anti-hyped character roster + the PR said all the wrong things (characters are functions, etc)

Bad marketing and anti consumer practices from Capcom, as releasing DLC on launch is my guess. Also, the game didn't get any critical acclaim and its visual sucks.

What really gets me about MvCI is that it could have had a great roster even sticking to just MCU characters. And yet we're still missing huge staples in the base roster, from characters who are coming as DLC (Black Widow, Black Panther) to characters who are just outright bizarrely missing (Ant-Man, Starlord). It's very clear that due to SOMEONE meddling, whether it was Marvel or Capcom, they did not have even close to the budget or time to create a game with a decent roster in any capacity.

I'll look forward to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom Infinite with all the DLC and, thus, an actually decent set of characters. Until then I gotta say that MvCI bombing is so lovingly deserved that I find it to be positively delicious. This is what happens when you halfass your game and build it on a model of holding back DLC to sell to the customers later, and I hope Capcom doesn't forget this lesson.

K.Sabot

Capcom didn't feel like stepping up to the table to make this game successful.

Doesn't feel like they want to anymore, just negative after negative press pre-release. Making the consumer look through so much shit to get to the diamond in the pile of shit. Just an awfully sold game.

Dahbomb

It is actually very, very simple.

Let's look back at Marvel vs Capcom 3. Game was hyped up to high heavens, sold well... but it had issues. Most notable lack of online/offline modes, bad netcode and no story mode. You can trace back to stuff like Angry Joe's review of the game, that's what the casual response to the game was but the hardcore players embraced. It has a fresh roster, good soundtrack, great presentation, fun game play and was competitive enough (though obviously not well balanced).

Enter Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. About 6 months after Vanilla Marvel 3's release, Capcom releases this expansion. The value proposition on UMVC3 is actually pretty good, for $40 you get 12 characters, a bunch of stages, some new modes and features. But the consumers and fans didn't like it initially because it rendered their Vanilla Marvel 3 copy useless and they had to pay $60 + $40 to get the full experience essentially (where as those getting UMVC3 first time were just paying $40). There was a lot of backlash from this and since then Capcom has adopted a new model of not putting disc expansions that render the original useless.

This is the point in Capcom's FG history where it all starts to spiral downhill. Capcom's next fighting game was Street Fighter X Tekken. This is better left for another day to explain why this game was bad and why it underperformed but it did and people's confidence in Capcom started to sway. This was also around the time that Capcom was making stuff like RE6 and DmC that had people disappointed in Capcom in general.

After that comes SFV. Most people were pretty excited for SFV going into it. Seems like they had a new, non expansion model, lots of support, an actual online beta (even though it barely worked, it was a sign of good things), CFN, ability to unlock new characters without paying real money, game looked decent visually... and then that launch happened. SFV had an abysmal launch both because of its server issues and because the game shipped with barely any modes. No Arcade mode, lobby system wasn't working, no story mode that they said would be coming, no AI VS mode. It was a bare bones offline product and the online was not working well in the first week. Then you add the cherry on top which was the rootkit. It was just one thing after another (I forgot to mention the 8 frames of lag that the game had). At this point Capcom was pretty communicative with its audience and we got regular updates... that suddenly stopped.

The lack of communication that started with the post release was a huge red sign. Not only had they shut off communication between them and their playerbase... there were clear signs of miscommunication between the USA and Japanese divisions. This was especially the case when Capcom of USA outlined the DLC schedule for the game and then Capcom of Japan threw them under the bus by basically saying "uhh we didn't approve of that, that's not what our schedule is." It was all super damning stuff and what's worse that all the changes that they said would come to the game didn't come fast enough and people became irate with the game extremely quick. To no surprise the game underperformed by quite a margin.

At this point, the confidence in Capcom's FGs division was at an all time low. Or so we thought. Enter Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Oh boy.. where do I even begin.

Right off the bat.. BEFORE THE GAME WAS EVEN ANNOUNCED this game had a terrible aura around it. We started hearing of rumors of it being 2v2, no assists and it being MCU focused (ie. no X Men). People had their pitch forks lined up for these changes and as we all saw that's exactly what happened. Not only did all of the things that people were dreading ended up being true... the game was very clearly recycling heavily from Marvel 3. A lot of the fanbase was actually ok with this because they just assumed "oh they are recycling stuff from Marvel 3, we are going to have a huge cast." That's what the Marvel/Capcom reps implied as well, that we will get a huge cast in the game. But that's definitely not what happened as MVCI launched with fewer characters than MVC3... a game where just about every character was made from scratch (even the ones taken from TvC were heavily altered). It had fewer characters than Marvel 3, only 4-5 newcomers and a distinct lack of diversity (hence the OT title of MVCI on GAF).

What they didn't mention was that this game was designed HEAVILY as a GAAS type game with most of its roster being put out as DLC. As the roster started to unveil itself, it became more and more apparent that we don't see any X Men starting out. This was a big deal for the franchise because the franchise STARTED WITH THE X MEN! The first game in the series was X Men Children of the Atom that featured all X Men and Akuma (by the way Akuma isn't in this game either and he has been in every VS game as well).

Soon the roster was leaked and it was extremely disappointing for most. Not only was it mostly recycled from Marvel 3... they forgot to add some of the more popular characters from Marvel 3 like Wesker, Vergil and the X Men. Not only was it recycled... but it was recycled poorly because a lot of the animations, art and presentation that was great in Marvel 3 was not transferred well. Speaking of presentation.... oh boy. The game took a massive nosedive in hype around E3. We got our first glimpse at a really ugly looking Chun Li face alongside ugly Dante, Chris and Spencer. People were shocked to see this as no one in their right mind would have approved of this if they had any respect for these characters. To make matters worse, Capcom released a STORY demo for the game that featured you fighting against mindless drones with probably the worst section in the story mode in terms of cutscenes and combat flow. That demo was just awful all around and not what a game like this is best at showcasing. It was a massive PR failure on their part releasing that demo because it did way more harm than good.

We didn't have just bad looking character models and awful cutscenes... we had a UI that looked like it was made for a phone game. That whole aesthetics of the game were very budget-esque, it made the whole game look cheap and lack in personality. Of course a lot of people thought that NO WAY this would be how the game look like and stuff like the character select screens and the menus were placeholders... nope what we saw around E3 and CEO was essentially what we got in the end. The music in the game was also altered from the last game, no we don't have catchy themes from the Marvel side but rather generic MCU orchestral matches that clashes poorly with the game at hand. A lot of the Capcom remixes are just simply worse than the ones in Marvel 3... the Dante theme remix is the crown jewel of shitty remixes in MVCI.

But let's talk about the game play... or rather the complete lack of talk about the game play pre-release when THAT IS THE BEST THING ABOUT THE GAME! The entire PR of the game was just superficially touching upon the game's mechanics and assuring people that it's very pick up and play, casual friendly with lots of auto combos stuff. There were some changes that pissed the hardcores off but the potential of this game was obvious when people who knew how to play started playing. But of course Capcom's PR never highlighted the strength of the game which was the freedom and sandbox nature of the combat. They didn't highlight how the Tag system works like a custom assist so you don't actually need assists in the game anymore which is kinda ground breaking for the series. Instead they talked about how auto combos worked and easy hyper combos... basically all of that is a wash. MVCI is a very complicated, difficult and strenuous fighting game... this is a game clearly made by VS players FOR VS players. Casuals who picked up this game got moped in it day 1... if any casuals picked up this game at all. So all their talk about making this game more casual friendly was just PR lip service and just worked to their disadvantage.

Speaking of PR.... this game had some of the worst PR I had ever witnessed. Despite all the rumors spreading, Capcom never got ahead of the rumor and changed their media schedule. They never really addressed most of the complaints, the only time they did was with Chun and Dante's ugly faces but honestly if the Internet didn't turn it into a massive meme, the game would've shipped with those faces. And then the X men/function meme came which was a PR nightmare for the game. The producers basically said that people don't remember the X Men anymore and players of these games only care about the functions of the X Men (ie. Magneto can tri dash so we just put in characters who can tri dash instead). There has been no communication between the general playerbase and Capcom... it's all very silent. We have no idea what the future of this game is from here even now. We don't really know the game's DLC schedule, they said somewhere between October and December. But we don't even know which character we are getting first! Originally people assumed it was Sigma because that was the first character unveiled but now it's apparently Monster Hunter.

The new character reveals have also been awful. Capcom casually unveiled Jedah at E3 through the character select screen, no trailer whatsoever, no fanfare. It was all very matter of fact when it came to unveiling characters for this game, a far cry from how it was with MVC3 pre-release whenever there was a pair of characters shown, felt like an event each time. There is no hype for this game because Capcom didn't even TRY to generate any hype. The only people who were actually hype for this game were hardcore FG fans who got to play this game at various FG events... so a very select few group of people and those are the people who are praising the game. Meanwhile the regular people at home who look at the game think the game looks visually bland, even ugly at times.

There is probably a ton more that I am missing. They had some Variant comics to go with the character releases but that shit was also awful. We learned about Dormammu and Firebrand being in the game through some comic art being leaked, which is lame as hell. These things in a vacuum aren't a big deal but taken as a whole it just paints a terrible picture for the product. Like people ask why it's a big deal that the menus look bland or that the portraits look off or that the character select screen is lacking in an personality... individually none of these things is that bad but EVERY FACET of the game reeks of this lack of quality and talent put into it.

This game's best parts are its game play and the netcode. They actually got netcode that is playable this time around which is a big deal for the series. They also had a launch that was issue free, which they struggled with in SFxT and SFV. The game is surprisingly functional on all ends even though it looked like they were rushing it out of the gate. And all of this just makes the other disappointing aspects of the game even more frustrating. This is a diamond in the rough type of game, I truly believe that. If this game had better presentation then this could be an excellent game because more characters are coming anyway so the roster can only improve from here. Imagine what the game would look like with 50+ characters in the roster, it would eclipse Marvel 3 which people now hold in high regard.

TLDR;

*Marvel 3 lacked story mode, netcode/online was garbage. People wanted that and Capcom focused way too much on that and not on the other numerous things that Marvel 3 did well like presentation and roster.

*UMVC3 came out too quick after Marvel 3 and rendered original MVC3 copies useless. It started the trend of "gonna wait until super edition before buying" with Capcom fighters.

*SFxT was bad and flopped, people's confidence in Capcom diminished.

*SFV had a terrible launch and had little content at the start. Capcom communication took a nosedive and community became even more annoyed.

*MVCI announced, 2v2, no assists, no X Men, worse art style than Marvel 3 with fewer characters. People got really angry and were ready to hate the game even before much was known about it.

*Presentation is bad with terrible UI and character models that were meme worthy bad. Capcom fixed some of the models but the presentation is still bad and most of the reviewers docking points for the game is due to the presentation first and foremost.

*The PR was some of the worst in gaming history, failing to highlight the strong aspects of the game and focusing to much on the weaker aspect of the game like the story (putting out a story demo that put the game in a much worse light) and the beginner friendly changes.

*Game was marketed as being noob friendly when it is anything but. It is one of the most difficult to get into fighting games out on the market now. This is a good thing for hardcore fans but it makes the PR of this game look very stupid in hindsight.

*MVCI actually has great game play, is legitimately fun, the online is pretty good and functional and the story mode is at least something. With more characters and a better presentation it could easily have been one of the best fighting games of all time but Capcom (and Marvel) squandered this by giving it the budget title treatment and pursuing a more GAAS model.

jett

D-Member
That's a good post Dahbomb. I had not realized that the reaction to Mahvel could be the culmination of years-long gestating feelings of negativity surround all-things Capcpom. I had forgotten how much of a disaster SFxT was.

Dahbomb

That's a good post Dahbomb. I had not realized that the reaction to Mahvel could be the culmination of years-long gestating feelings of negativity surround all-things Capcpom. I had forgotten how much of a disaster SFxT was.
It's all a snowball effect that started with Marvel 3 and ended with MVCI. Nothing is in a vacuum, it is all related. You can just read posts on GAF, you very often see posts like "will wait for Ultimate edition when it's $20" even though this game will not have a hard expansion like MVC3 did.

FluxWaveZ

And each game seems to have less budget and effort put into it than the last. What they're doing doesn't seem sustainable. It's verging on self-sabotage, if it's not there already.

I can't imagine what the next Capcom fighting game even looks like.

They really need to get a Marvel license to Netherrrealm so they can make Marvel vs. DC: Universes Collide or something. I would pay $60 for a game where Batman could beat up Magneto (or vice versa).

Compbros

It's been years in the making and it was just a perfect storm of terrible.

A steady build of bad practices and subpar fighters (in one way or another): The last 3 fighting games released by Capcom were Marvel 3, which burned early adopters by announcing an update that was incompatible with their disc 3~ months later; Street Fighter x Tekken, which suffered from poor early gameplay, powerful dlc gems, and on-disc dlc that amounted to a fourth of the roster that you had to pay 20 dollars to unlock; and SFV which launched with no arcade or story mode, had colors tied to survival mode that you couldn't earn offline and would reset your progress if you got disconnected, netcode/servers that basically didn't work on launch day, and missing many fan favorites.

The lack of info for months between announcing -> next showing: Marvel Infinite was announced to much hype from fans for having X, showing Captain Marvel, and just being a new Marvel game. They then announced Captain America and Morrigan the next day (week?) with a gameplay trailer for them. For that week we got a little info on the stones and we got to see gameplay. People were stoked. Then, nothing. Months of not a single bit of info. This deflated fans a ton as all they could do was speculate roster from months on end. The game was announced in December of 2016 and it wasn't until April of 2017 that we got 8 character reveals (only one being new) and a release date of September, which seemed quite soon given how the game looked.

Early impressions, graphics, and changes
When Marvel was first announced people forgave the initial look thinking it was early release footage and there was a ton of time to polish it. When it was shown again in April in a story trailer and announced for a September release people got nervous. It looked like early footage still but it was due in 5 months. People bemoaned Chun-li's face and the UI as we got screenshots and more footage. It became a bit of a joke to the point where Capcom actually had to address not only that it would be polished and potentially get a day one graphics update but they had to specifically point out that they were fixing Chun-li's face. As info dropped they talked about things that have been in Marvel for decades being dropped in assists as well as a switch back to 2v2 instead of 3v3. With the lack of assists people felt that the game was gonna have much less emphasis on team synergy.

Roster leaks, confirmations, and disappointment: One of the biggest pulls to the Vs. series of Marvel and Capcom is the roster. Both have a tremendous amount of characters to pull from that never have been in a Marvel game or missed 3 and fans get excited about who will be in. Just look at the "roster speculation" thread on this forum to see. People expected Marvel to want Universe characters in the game but that was OK, there was still a lot to pick from like Black Panther, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Loki, Wasp, so on. Meanwhile Capcom had endless possibilities to pull from lesser known but fan favorites like Regina from Dino Crisis. I haven't mentioned it yet but fans were really scared that X-men wouldn't be included because of the Fox ban and that would mean losing staple characters, especially Wolverine and Magneto. Well the roster leaked and...it was awful. Mostly characters that were in 3, I think only Ant-man, Jedah, and Monster Hunter were left that hadn't been revealed as far as new characters (Ant-man looks scrapped and Monster Hunter turned into DLC). The more they revealed the more it looked like the list was correct and the more deflated fans got. Nemesis instead of Jack, Chris instead of Leon/Ada? No Phoenix Wright, no Ammy, no Viewtiful Joe. Marvel side looked bad and Capcom's even worse.

E3 and demo: A new trailer is shown at E3, people enjoy it. They then drop the announcement that a story demo is downloadable right now. People download it and man is it bad. People calling each other's name left and right, bots that die in a few hits which didn't allow people to explore the characters enough, still ugly graphically. It was a terrible demo that turned many off to the game as all the hype deflated. Then there was the fact that DBFZ was announced and it was giving people the Marvel they wanted with it being 3v3 and having assists. Plus it was by Arc Systems, a dream matchup for many fighting game and DBZ fans.

Poor choice of words and lack of marketing: At some point Capcom semi-addressed the lack of X-men characters in the worst way possible. They talked about people potentially not even knowing who the X-men are in today's age and how these characters are "functions" in that it doesn't matter the skin on top of the model used by the player as long as the model is fun and plays a certain way. People ragged on them about this and it all just built up. After E3 you didn't see much in the way of Marvel Infinite, you got a lot of offscreen footage and early gameplay/streams but as far as Marvel/Capcom pushing it it seemed mostly done. I have a friend that went "oh shit, Marvel comes out next week" in the week prior to release. He's not hardcore but he follows gaming news and releases. He had no idea.

Dahbomb

Yeah I forgot to mention about their marketing schedule.

So they would have a trailer that shows like 6 characters and a stone.

Then it would be radio silence for months, we would get another trailer and another stone then radio silence again.

Repeat until the game's release. In between each trailer the negativity just festered and Capcom didn't do shit about.

Clipse

After the poor sales of SFV and MvC:I, I really don’t see Capcom making a new fighter for a very long time. They’ll probably just continue to support SFV and MvC:I until the end of this console gen.

Dahbomb

Great post Dahbomb but you made a little mistake.

Ultimate Marvel 3 came out 9 months after vanilla.
Yeah but we learned about it 6 months after. That's a pretty short time from game's release to announcing another version coming soon. I should probably edit that but man that post got big mad quick.

jett

D-Member
And each game seems to have less budget and effort put into it than the last. What they're doing doesn't seem sustainable. It's verging on self-sabotage, if it's not there already.

Maybe Capcom can stealth-release it under a shell company and people won't care that it looks like complete ass. Look at the people acting like Akira's mystery game looks good.

Renekton

I fucking hope not really don’t want to go back to only having 3D fighters like Tekken and MK as the only options outside of SNK and Arc System Works niche stuff. My hope is that Capcom tries to save the game by going balls out with DLC and or F2P before throwing in the towel...hell id prefer someone just buying Capcom and being satisfied with decent not astronomical sales to keep SF alive.
It's not a good idea to throw good money after bad. Business-wise Capcom should cut their losses and find a greener pasture.

Core gamers will not treat them kindly ever again no matter how hard they try.

They really need to get a Marvel license to Netherrrealm so they can make Marvel vs. DC: Universes Collide or something. I would pay $60 for a game where Batman could beat up Magneto (or vice versa).
Yeah it will definitely make major money.

synce

Honestly didn't even know Pokken DX was a thing until today. It's hilarious that a game with no marketing or word of mouth outside the Pokemon community still outsold Marvel in its own genre

It's all a snowball effect that started with Marvel 3 and ended with MVCI. Nothing is in a vacuum, it is all related.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Mortal Kombat 9 were released near each other and there was much praise for MK9's story mode.

That's where it all started.

In the individual charts,

MvC:I for XB1 isn't even in the top 40!

Jesus...
That explains why it takes ages to find online matches on Xbox One. Oh well...time to trade it in.

Regarding PC2: I guess people learn? I didn't and supported these developers by buying Shift, Shift 2 and PC and they were all a broken mess at launch.

Reading comments about PC2 it seems like I dodged a bullet.

They had balls to release the game at the same time as GTS and Forza 7 though.

Kashiwaba

After the poor sales of SFV and MvC:I, I really don’t see Capcom making a new fighter for a very long time. They’ll probably just continue to support SFV and MvC:I until the end of this console gen.

Which is sad they actually make good (the best) fighting games gameplay wise, but everything surrounding the gameplay is terrible most of the time. Seems to me what Capcom needs to do is to restracture their fighting games studios and hire better PR and marketers.

maks

What is it about the gameplay that makes some say this game is so great? I haven't seen good explanation of this yet.

Ive read comments saying that mvci allows so much freedom but what does that mean? If part of this conversation is about offensive options then doesnt that typically mean this game is going to eventually lead to some broken mechanics? Perhaps broken is ok for vs games. It seems like it sometimes lol.

Artanisix

i wasnt aware a current-gen aaa game that costs $60 coulud look so ugly until mvci came out

kinda sad because i hear from my buddies that the gameplay is actually legit

sinkfla87

i wasnt aware a current-gen aaa game that costs $60 coulud look so ugly until mvci came out

kinda sad because i hear from my buddies that the gameplay is actually legit

Game is fun as fuck. Probably my favorite fighter in a long time. Funny thing is there are moments where parts of the game look really good. Valkanda for example looks wonderful. Dante and Morrigan... Eh not so much.

Top Bottom