• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

tr00per

I'm putting A LOT of faith in Bravo Team.
South Park is like my all time favorite TV show, decided to skip Fractured But Whole for the meantime in favor of Bravo Team.

Supermassive you better not screw this up.

Oh it's being made by supermassive!? Hype intensifies...

MattAces

Oh it's being made by supermassive!? Hype intensifies...

Yep. But I think people are going to be let down by the game, since most people are still expecting a call of duty style campaign.
The game is more like Time Crisis with the freedom of choosing cover spot. Hopefully it's content packed with challenges and lengthy campaign.

Glad to see Sony continuing to support and promote the Aim controller. It really is literally a game changing peripheral - I picked up Arizona Sunshine over the weekend and found it almost unplayable with the Move controllers and so much more fun once I switched to the Aim. I’m soooo hoping that Doom is updated after launch to support it!

FingerBang

Glad to see Sony continuing to support and promote the Aim controller. It really is literally a game changing peripheral - I picked up Arizona Sunshine over the weekend and found it almost unplayable with the Move controllers and so much more fun once I switched to the Aim. I’m soooo hoping that Doom is updated after launch to support it!

Yeah, they just need to make more units. I mean, they restocked it in Japan after I think 4 months and Sony accepts orders on the store even if not available.

I'll try to get the Bravo Team bundle or I'll probably buy the standalone unit since I gave up on buying the Farpoint one for a decent price.

Planet

I suppose, despite it being announced and never revoked, Attractio hasn't been made PSVR compatible after all? The store page mentions nothing of it.

Lakuza

Arthands posted this in the pc vr thread about seeking dawn, concerning the status of the psvr version. Unless they can figure out how to port it or if they can get help from other devs or sony, it might be unlikely to see this game released for ps vr:

Hopefully the PSVR version wouldnt held back the Vive/Rift version of “Seeking Dawn” too much
dFJV8Dt.png

Xd7VewD.png

JJShadow

Hey guys! I'll most probably treat myself these holidays with a PS VR, so in the meantime I'd like to grab any offer/sale on "must-have" VR games. There's a Halloween sale on the UK PS Store going on now, with Rez Infinite and Arizona Sunshine for £14.99 and £16.69 respectively. Are they worth the price?

WITHE1982

Hey guys! I'll most probably treat myself these holidays with a PS VR, so in the meantime I'd like to grab any offer/sale on "must-have" VR games. There's a Halloween sale on the UK PS Store going on now, with Rez Infinite and Arizona Sunshine for £14.99 and £16.69 respectively. Are they worth the price?

I can't speak for Arizona Sunshine but Rez is absolutely fantastic in VR. Almost like the game was just waiting for the tech to catch up before finally being played the way it was meant to be.

While you're at it try and grab:

Rigs: It's free with PS+ at the minute
Playroom VR: Also free and fantastic fun
Bound: Only £6.49 on sale.

... and for me the best thing on PSVR by far is Resident Evil 7. It's simply mind-blowing in VR. I think it's also on sale digitally for £25.

MattAces

Arthands posted this in the pc vr thread about seeking dawn, concerning the status of the psvr version. Unless they can figure out how to port it or if they can get help from other devs or sony, it might be unlikely to see this game released for ps vr:

Not surprising at all. Running in Unity Engine is already a strike one.
Superhot VR was hideous at launch, the dev even said there's nothing they can do unless they rework a lot of stuff since it's a direct port. But the game is small, so I guess they did it, the game looks fantastic on Pro now.
I highly doubt Seeking Dawn is a polished/optimized experience to begin with from the various video shown and to port it to PSVR is just suicide.

Hopefully PSVR large userbase will justify and encourage them to optimize the shit out of it, but eh, Unity Engine and console, especially VR were never the best friends.

Several days ago someone pointed that out too, and they responded "Don't lose hope! We are hard at work to bring the game to PSVR :D". Sony China is also providing support for them to make it happen.
https://twitter.com/VRmultiverse/status/919617559783129088

Dirt Rally is the best game on PSVR for me right now. You need to enjoy racing sims/rally sims, but if you do... God damn.

MattAces

Alright I'm sick of waiting Raw Data Pro patch.
I'm up for some new games now, Megaton Rainfall is a buy right?
Debating No Heroes Allowed too.

Loudninja

Gran Turismo Sport PS VR bundle launches today in EU
Can you believe it's barely been a year since PlayStation VR first immersed us in spectacular virtual worlds? Since October 2016 over one million PS VR headsets have been sold, with over 100 games and experiences now available to enjoy.

And so, with Gran Turismo Sport releasing today, we're happy to announce the Gran Turismo PS VR bundle, that'll get you race-ready*.

Included in the bundle is a physical copy of the Gran Turismo Sport standard edition, PlayStation VR and PlayStation Camera. Also in the bundle is a copy of PlayStation VR Worlds*.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/10/18/gran-turismo-sport-ps-vr-bundle-launches-today/

I'm up for some new games now, Megaton Rainfall is a buy right?

Yeah, it's a short one but priced as such too. Hard mode that unlocks after first completion can be used for another quick speedrun and it has hidden collectables if you're into just flying around.

I do hope they get enough sales to warrant a big expansion of missions or a sequel. It's just 9 missions now.

MattAces

Yeah, it's a short one but priced as such too. Hard mode that unlocks after first completion can be used for another quick speedrun and it has hidden collectables if you're into just flying around.

I do hope they get enough sales to warrant a big expansion of missions or a sequel. It's just 9 missions now.

When I'm in the "rich" month of a year, would've bought it without thinking, just like half of my PSVR library. Now I'm in the deepest hole I've ever dug. So buying a single game requires thorough research. Life sucks. I should just sell my PSVR so I can afford my PSVR games.

I might get No Heroes Allowed and push FFXV fishing away because screw them for charging $30. They promised it was part of season pass and reiterated that several months before announcement.

gmoran

The whole "two cars" thing shows they've given little to no attention/time to VR mode - a 60fps game shouldn't need rendering downgrades for PSVR to begin with, let alone CPU downgrades, which is what the car-reduction is presumably for.

It is possible to make an engaging driving experience with only one car on the track just by providing a competent time trial component.

The fact that what PD provided is so obviously borked paints a picture of actively not wanting to provide a viable VR experience.

Piss poor on both PD and Sony's port, to the point of disrespect IMO.

MattAces

It is possible to make an engaging driving experience with only one car on the track just by providing a competent time trial component.

The fact that what PD provided is so obviously borked paints a picture of actively not wanting to provide a viable VR experience.

Piss poor on both PD and Sony's port, to the point of disrespect IMO.

It's crazier when you think about it.
Their early demo CLEARLY had at least 4-5 opponents, and yes, it's fully running in VR, public demo.
My guess is certain game breaking bug was found few months before launch and will probably take a lot of time to fix, so rather than delaying it further, they just half ass it.

It's crazier when you think about it.
Their early demo CLEARLY had at least 4-5 opponents, and yes, it's fully running in VR, public demo.
My guess is certain game breaking bug was found few months before launch and will probably take a lot of time to fix, so rather than delaying it further, they just half ass it.

and sell it as a VR Expansion for 40$ next year! (i would buy it then)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When I'm in the "rich" month of a year, would've bought it without thinking, just like half of my PSVR library. Now I'm in the deepest hole I've ever dug. So buying a single game requires thorough research. Life sucks. I should just sell my PSVR so I can afford my PSVR games.

I might get No Heroes Allowed and push FFXV fishing away because screw them for charging $30. They promised it was part of season pass and reiterated that several months before announcement.

This is a terrible idea!

As I posted my initial poor first impressions of GT:S VR mode here is my slightly revised thoughts now I have spent a bit more time with it.

Went back to the VR mode to give it another chance after my initial poor first impressions as I had unlocked almost everything bar two tracks and had all classes of car. The kart, Gr4, Gr3, and Gr1 are all great fun in VR, much better than what I played last night/earl this morning. The N and X class cars feel significantly less enjoyable and where my initial impressions were pulled from. A Gr1 on Tokyo at night is great fun. Now Sony just have to front up the cash and get PD to expand it so it is fleshed out and more importantly add in basic options.

Hazanko

Banned
I really need to borrow the game from a video store although I'm not a fan of the genre.

Too bad my processing unit is still being repaired. The vent has become way too loud so I sent it in. Without the headset, I hope that's not a problem.

Usually you have to send headset with pu.

ckohler

I bought both Megaton Rainfall and No Heroes Allowed! VR. Here's some quick impressions of both:

Megaton Rainfall

It's a pretty simple concept yet playing it does make me smile. There is a serious rush and satisfaction of flying at mach speed while zipping around blowing stuff up. Flying into space or taking a moment to land in a remote field is cool; granted, everything is simplistic looking aside from a few landmarks here and there. Just think of the gameplay as a shooter with 360 degrees of movement. The controls are intuitive after only five minutes of play. I disabled all of the comfort controls and had zero issues. It's rather astonishing as I would expect this game to be a vomit inducer considering you're whizzing around at crazy speed and stopping on a dime without a cockpit and yet it's remarkably comfortable. The story stuff is meh and you are usually just waiting for those cut-scenes to end so you can get back into the action. There are a few glitches every once and a while but nothing deal-breaking. It's a great game when you want to kill some time and just feel like a god. Shooting enemies is genuinely fun (and there is a satisfactory amount of variety) and the sense of scale is impressive, especially with the enemies. The sounds design is also fantastic.

No Heroes Allowed! VR

This game is very charming! The graphics are gorgeous (not a single jagged edge to be found), the characters are fun and voiced with charmisma, and the music is perfect. The gameplay is essentially a mix of tower defense and RTS where you breed monsters to defeat the heroes and ultimately take their castle. There appear to be around 15 levels. There is a lengthy tutorial and the gameplay mechanics are more complex than I was expecting (but in a good way and not confusing). I only played one level so far and it's fun. It could be argued that this is a game that "doesn't need to be in VR" because it's essentially a table-top game (you literally look down at the table in front of you) but I think it uses VR well to make that miniature world come to life and all of the commentary from Badman and Badmella as they watch along side you adds a lot to the experience. I'm not really a fan of RTS or tower defense games yet I was enjoying it none-the-less. This game is very polished and that's not surprising as it was made by Sony's Japan Studio who also made Playroom VR. This game shares a lot in common with Playroom VR: its aesthetics, graphic fidelity, and charming characters. Your DS4 is even part of the game and used in much the same way as in Playroom VR.

bumpkin

I really need to borrow the game from a video store although I'm not a fan of the genre.

Too bad my processing unit is still being repaired. The vent has become way too loud so I sent it in. Without the headset, I hope that's not a problem.
You’re honestly not missing much with GTS, especially if it’s the VR you’re interested in. Drive Club VR and Dirt Rally lap it (racing pun, yay!) multiple times over in terms of their VR offering.

Fox1304

Well, bought Raw Data and Arizona Sunshine on the EU Sale.
Time to dust of the PSVR, haven't really used it since Superhot (thanks, Nintendo Switch ...)

panda-zebra

You’re honestly not missing much with GTS, especially if it’s the VR you’re interested in. Drive Club VR and Dirt Rally lap it (racing pun, yay!) multiple times over in terms of their VR offering.

Glad I cancelled my preorder last month, it was only the VR I was interested in and it was all too sketchy. Will pick it up later when it's on offer maybe.

It's the only track racing sim on PSVR and despite having a capable PC and loving Project Cars 2, I don't want to get a PC VR headset.

GTS is literally the only offer available.

MattAces

It's the only track racing sim on PSVR and despite having a capable PC and loving Project Cars 2, I don't want to get a PC VR headset.

Try Trinus? Cockpit game works well without positional tracking since you don't move around at all while driving.

Try Trinus? Cockpit game works well without positional tracking since you don't move around at all while driving.
My previous experiences with Trinus weren't very good. Absolutely horrendous drift even when using the flat surface calibration method. Seems to me like PSVR might also use the tracking lights on the headset to correct drifting and it's not implemented on PC. Otherwise I can't explain the horrible drift present on Trinus and PSVR Cinema mode but not in any actual PS4 native VR game.

The game is excellent. VR implementation could be much better but its fun as long as you jump into the more powerful cars. As you like Dirt VR like myself (also my favourite VR game) it feels very tame in comparison but fun can still be had. If you like sim-lite racers GT:S is well worth buying, the online is excellent.

The game is excellent. VR implementation could be much better but its fun as long as you jump into the more powerful cars. As you like Dirt VR like myself (also my favourite VR game) it feels very tame in comparison but fun can still be had. If you like sim-lite racers GT:S is well worth buying, the online is excellent.
I love racing sims and I liked GTS quite a bit, but I usually stay away from online modes. I enjoyed a few Sport races but ultimately I know I'm not gonna stick with online. It's just not what I do.

What I really want is, at minimum, to be able to do custom events at my leisure against AI, which GT Sport does with enough options and flexibility in its own Arcade mode but certainly nowhere near as much in the VR mode.

What I'm saying is, GT Sport is a pretty good game but a terrible VR racing sim. But it's the only one. I'm most likely getting it since I like the 2D content but I wouldn't buy it for the VR itself.

valeu

no heroes allowed! is fun. it's kind of like tethered but different creatures eat each other and evolve, and you're the god of destruction trying to kill all the good townspeople's homes and castles with your monster horde

Any tips for setting up? I can barely open doors/trunks. My gun spazzes out and turns into the aim controller. When it works it's fun, but that's about 10% of the time.

Joystick

Big EU sale and STILL no sale for I Expect You to Die. Jesus.

The only time it has been on sale is now, in the US only. Has never been on sale in EU.

I am EU store native but buy specials that are only on the US store. Create a US account and fund it from CC or PayPal if you can but I buy US PSN cards from play-asia.com (can use any CC or PayPal account). Couple of $ overhead per card so buy the larger cards or snap some up in their occasional sales.

Top Bottom