• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil games worth playing?

Rev 2 is worth playing just to experience Moira and Claire's journey. I mean, they gave a complete newcomer to the series (Moira) some of the best lines and backstory any of the characters in the series have ever got. It's a really great character arc.

jorgejjvr

I'm reading different opinions on revelations 1 and 2

From horrible/terrible, to mediocre, good, and great

I'm hoping they are more on the side of good and above... Was thinking of getting both on switch

• Resident Evil 5: A good co-op experience and one of the more fun titles to replay. The encounter design is a lesser RE4 and features one of the worst boss fights in the entire series, but still a rather well paced romp of a game.
  • Resident Evil 6: An extremely varied but ultimately mess of campaigns. Cool gameplay mechanics, but the campaigns aren't designed around them in the slightest. The real value in the game is the Mercenaries mode, where the gameplay shines. Terrible story outside of Piers.
  • Resident Evil 7: Starts strong, but ends on a weak note. Classic example of dropping the ball on both a story and level design (after the first area) front, particularly the game telling you how characters are but their actions suggest otherwise (dissonance issues). The least varied enemies of the series. Good atmosphere that's only topped by REmake. Features one of the best RE antagonists in Jack. I'd advise waiting for the Gold Edition release coming this December. VR too if that's an option.
  • Revelations 1: Didn't get far, but it's one of my least favorite entries in the series. Odd writing, characters, and sub-par attempt at mixing classic with action gameplay.
  • Revelations 2: Much stronger title in gameplay than the first REv. Really cool optional/choice actions throughout. Barry Fucking Burton. The partner mechanics are well done. Claire is written oddly and a bit of a weak point compared to Barry and Moira. Another good replay title, with it up there with 5.

From these, I'd go REvelations 2, RE5 (if co-op), RE7, RE5 (solo), RE6, and REvelations.

SpokkX

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

Which of the Resident Evil games I haven't play are worth playing?

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

7 is amazing
6 is bad
5 is just boring and uninspired
Revelations 1 & 2 are just comparable to the real series

So 7

RE 7 is a really good game. 9/10 I recommend playing it. 5,6 and Revelation is trash imo. But if you liked part 4 then play 5,6 they are similar tps game.

Collin

Banned
7 for sure. 7 is actually my 2nd favorite Resident Evil after the REmake. To be fair though, I’ve never been the biggest fan of 4 and I’m certainly not a fan of 5 or 6.

joe2187

Banned
I'm reading different opinions on revelations 1 and 2

From horrible/terrible, to mediocre, good, and great

I'm hoping they are more on the side of good and above... Was thinking of getting both on switch

Rev 1 is a good side game, interesting setting, but it shows it's limitations (3DS port) The combat is dumbed down, but it's fun. And the game is set up in short chapters.

Rev 2 is a good RE game and a fun Local co-op game as well. It's an episodic game done right with a ton of SP replay ability offline alone.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I like ‘em all. Rev1 is the least fun these days, it hasn’t aged well. I loved it as technically impressive, early 3ds game.

5 is probably my favorite co-op game ever. I enjoyed both couch and online modes.

6 is only fun if you fully embrace the action. There are no tutorials, so look up all the moves. If you don’t want to get into character action RE, don’t bother.

Rev 2 is pretty great, only downside is low production values. I liked the story & characters a lot. Raid’s high-level game is dumb and spongey, but it’s kind of fun getting there. It was my GOTY.

I really liked 7. Enemies get a bit boring but I really respect the game’s commitment.

For the right price, all are worthwhile, but a lot depends on taste

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

Which of the Resident Evil games I haven't play are worth playing?

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

Hey, there are still more you haven't played. You haven't played Umbrella Chronicles, Code Veronica, the one on the boat, and that other one I forget the name of.

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
If you can co-op, Rev2, do.
7 is the big step up for the series.
5 is fine, not scary, poorish story (but way better than 6), but a really fun co-op game.
The zero and 1 remakes hold up well remastered on current gen.

Hey, there are still more you haven't played. You haven't played Umbrella Chronicles, Code Veronica, the one on the boat, and that other one I forget the name of.

I did play Code Veronica, is listed in OP and I have Umbrella Chronicles but never got around to play it.

With this
wrong
comment this thread has seen every possible answer. Good luck OP!

Haha I know as much as I did before I started this thread lol

ArjanN

RE5 is perhaps the greatest co-op campaign ever. Do that with a friend, and then RE7. It's a must play game.

I disagree. Revelations has better atmosphere, and doesn't feel as choppy as 2 did in terms of pacing and story. And Raid is better in 2.

Rev 1 has decent atmosphere at the very beginning and the end, but the story, characters and writing in Rev 2 is leagues better than 1, it also has better level design and much fewer lows.

The Raid mode was better in 1 because there was actually something to work toward with the Ghost Ship.

Skeeter49

RE7 and Revelations 2 are amazing.

Revelations 1 is fine.

5 and 6 are trash, but in 6 Chris's story is actually pretty good even if gameplay wise it's the most embarrassing for a RE game.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm going to have to watch some gameplay of RE7 proper (outside of the demo) because it looks like something I really wouldn't like too much. I played demo thinking "This is just like Amnesia, and I can barely force myself to play that".

I think the thing about these first person games is that I just feel too limited in the perspective. Not in the sense that it feels limiting to not have a 3rd person viewpoint, instead it's that in real life I'm afforded so much more freedom in movement and view than a game gives you. I can't imagine VR fixes that entirely, although I bet it goes a long way towards it.

You all seem to love it, but I have to go with my gut, hence me watching it being a better option than spending money on it.

Back on topic, 4-6 is an inverse correlation of installment and quality. 6 I only forced myself through one story of, and I don't ever plan to finish the rest. I consider it a waste of money and I got it either in a bundle or heavily discounted. 5 I enjoyed more at the time, but the whole thing played 4 taken in a wrong direction.

Revelations 1 I'm a small way through and it's not exactly changing my life. I'd rather go back and play a classic any day of the week.

valeu

7 is fantastic and a great re-starting game because you don't need to know anything about RE but it is 100% RE. and if you can play it in VR, definitely do that

Is the co op on revelations 2 couch co op or also online?

Raid mode has online coop but is a boring grind compared to Mercenaries. The campaign is couch coop only, (Though I think on PS4 you could get around this with Share Play.) but it's not that great anyway because the secondary character takes on more of a supporting role and has very limited combat options.

And I want to add to the OP that 6 is a very fun game, even the campaigns, but it requires a lot of work from the player to enjoy it, because the game doesn't bother to explain any of it's mechanics and it is a very unpolished game.

Really, turn on about any random playthrough of RE6 on Youtube, Twitch or whatever and people are playing it straight up wrong throughout the entire game, missing most of the stuff you can do. But apart from not telling you what you can do, the game is also kinda bad at signaling the player that they're not playing it right and missing features, and easy enough on Normal that you can still kinda wing it throughout the game, so that the conclusion is often just "Wow, what a shitty game.".

I bought Resident Evil 7 and Revelations 2 on PS4 for now. I also found RE5 in my x360 backlog so I might give it a shot. If I like 5 and Rev 2 enough then I might get 6 and Rev 1 later on.

Thank you guys for all the comments, much appreciated.

Jawmuncher

Just play all of em. Definitely play RE5 and RE6 for yourself as well.
A lot of people lately had skipped them due to negative talk and enjoyed them when they actually gave thema chance. Not saying you'll automatically like them but it's worth trying.

I bought Resident Evil 7 and Revelations 2 on PS4 for now. I also found RE5 in my x360 backlog so I might give it a shot. If I like 5 and Rev 2 enough then I might get 6 and Rev 1 later on.

This thread led you astray. At least you still have the others on the table.

_Malus_

Neo Member
From someone who finished all main installments of RE:

Resident Evil 7 is probably the one you want to get, since it has some more classic gameplay like the old REs had (less action, Puzzles, more scary sections).

In my opinion, Resident Evil 5 is also a great game that has some good moments and atmosphere, as well as an awesome coop.:)

With Resident Evil 6, I only find myself going back to the Leon Scenario, which gave me some nostalgic flashbacks to old REs. The rest of the game was quite „meh“.

If you want to give the Revelations series a try, go with part 2.

ryseing

One on the boat is the original Rev. Other one you're forgetting the name of is Slant Six's Operation Raccoon City.

I will say that if you play 5, you absolutely need to get a co-op partner to do it with. I might go so far as to say the game isn't really worth playing solo - it's a co-op game through and through. 6 is the same way.

RSB

Banned
RE5 is a masterpiece. Best co-op game of all time IMO.

RE6 is flawed, but it's still a good game overall. Kinda shit story, but the chracters make up for it.(Jake and Sherry are the best) The gameplay is amazing.

Revelations 2 is ok. Mediocre gameplay, but cool story and characters (Moira Burton FTW)

Rev1 and RE7 are decent, but IMO they're the weakest mainline games.

SPCTRE

Both Revelations games are terrible.
I disagree, I thought the second game was great fun with its asymmetrical local co-op. Of course, people who are not into that sort of thing (i.e. limited combat options for one character) are not going to enjoy it.

Can't speak to the first Revelations.

Sojgat

RE6 is my favourite for it's combat mechanics. Mercenaries mode is the highlight, but the uneven story campaign can be a lot of fun on repeat playthroughs once you know how all the encounters are meant to work (some are real trial and error messes). Try it if you like action games.

Top Bottom