• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil games worth playing?

Raonak

Banned
7 is definitely a must play. VR if possible.

if you liked 4, then 5/6 should be good.

havent played revs

Cpt Lmao

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

Which of the Resident Evil games I haven't play are worth playing?

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

Resident Evil 5 co-op is one of the greatest games ever made.

Bishop89

havnt finished 7 cant comment much on it. I have played for about 1.5-2 hours and so far so good.

5 is great, personally prefer it over 4.

6 is ok, too many design issues, but when you're in pure gameplay scenario, its great.

ffvorax

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 7

As in quote, 5 is still fun action, may be skipped but there is a decent wesker there...

RE7 is a must play, best in VR.

Revelations... no...

Jyester

If you're not hankering to play through the entire series and have limited time to spend on gaming, I'd tell you to skip REV1 & 2 outright. The gameplay is a watered-down, low budget version of a 4 - 6, marketed as a return to form.

RE7 actually is a return to form. I was very skeptical, but it's great. If you like co-op, you can't go wrong with 5 & 6.

Edit: RE6 is uneven but I love it.

I will say that if you play 5, you absolutely need to get a co-op partner to do it with. I might go so far as to say the game isn't really worth playing solo - it's a co-op game through and through. 6 is the same way.

I kinda disagree about 6. First off, unlike 5, where the AI partner is a complete liability, your AI partner in 6 has infinite health and ammo, so you can safely ignore them.

And second, the game is pretty janky and unpolished already, playing co-op tends to break the game's scripting and enemy behaviour even more. Even more so if you have Agent Hunt enabled.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
6 is a must play if you enjoyed 4's Mercenaries Mode. If you have the Steam version you can get a save editor so you unlock all the characters and stages for Mercenaries without having to play through the inferior campaigns.

I also liked Rev 1 but it's kind of a polarizing game.

I think Rev 1 and 2 are solid, but you have to go in realizing they are budget constrained and are kind of a diet experience compared to the mainline games, especially Revelaitons 1.

Speaking of budget, RE6 uses its massive budgets in all the wrong ways. Horrible level design, needlessly complex mele system that you absolutely don't need except some forced segments with Jake. Anyway, really not the best AAA experience.

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

I like all the games on that list (yes, even 6) but these are the must-plays: 7 and Revelations 1.

5 and 6 are more of the 4 formula but less inspired. Still good though in my opinion. Rev 2 is a fun B game.

Revelations 1 is worth it for the Raid mode alone, it's fantastic. I didn't love 7 as much as most people did but it was definitely a breath of fresh air.

kc44135

I assume that revelations are somehow connected to the main titles and if so, where revelations 1 and 2 fits in the series?

They aren't mainline titles (the main series is made up of RE0-7, and CVX), but rather a spin-off sub-series. They are, however, completely canon. Revelations 1 takes place between RE4 and 5, while Revelations 2 takes place between RE5 and 6.

Edit: Also OP, I saw that you want to play RE5 on X360, but if you have friends to play it with on X1/PS4, I really would go for one of those versions. They look and play so much better, and the X1/PS4 versions have all DLC included, the No Mercy Mercs mode from PC, and the exclusive Mercenaries Reunion mode for $20, which is awesome. PC is probably great too (haven't played it), but no Mercs Reunion.

I kinda disagree about 6. First off, unlike 5, where the AI partner is a complete liability, your AI partner in 6 has infinite health and ammo, so you can safely ignore them.

And second, the game is pretty janky and unpolished already, playing co-op tends to break the game's scripting and enemy behaviour even more. Even more so if you have Agent Hunt enabled.

I think, for that reason, 6 needs to be played in co-op too. Having a god AI partner is not really any better than having an inept one - just less frustrating.

They aren't mainline titles (the main series is made up of RE0-7, and CVX), but rather a spin-off sub-series. They are, however, completely canon. Revelations 1 takes place between RE4 and 5, while Revelations 2 takes place between RE5 and 6.

Yeah that's what I meant, thank you.

Was Code Veronica ever remastered? The PS4 version is just the PS2 classic right? I though I might as well refresh the whole series so I bough RE HD Remake, RE Zero and RE 4. Now I'm not sure what to do with Code Veronica.

I think, for that reason, 6 needs to be played in co-op too. Having a god AI partner is not really any better than having an inept one - just less frustrating.

It's not like your AI partner is doing much though, it's programmed to remain very passive for the most part, so the AI will not interfere and play the game for you. When it comes down to it, playing 6 in single player is like your partner isn't even there, which is fine.

Was Code Veronica ever remastered? The PS4 version is just the PS2 classic right? I though I might as well refresh the whole series so I bough RE HD Remake, RE Zero and RE 4. Now I'm not sure what to do with Code Veronica.

There was a proper remaster on PS3 and XBox360. They gave the game a completly new lighting engine, which was a bit hit or miss.

kc44135

Yes, there is a remastered version available on X360/PS3. Opinions on it tend to be a little mixed, as some (like myself) think the new lighting looks weird and dislike the drastically darker look of the game compared to the original. There are some improvements though, like true 16:9 widescreen. I prefer the older versions visually, which is why I was pretty happy with the PS4 release. It's visually identical to the PS2 version, but runs at a much higher resolution (higher res than the remaster in fact). If you want to play it again, I'd recommend looking at some comparisons of the remaster and the original version to see what you'd prefer. If you prefer the latter, PS4 is a great choice.

Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_-Ycd-Xh4Q
Here's a comparison between the PS2 and PS3 versions. Good comparison that showcases the differences between the remaster and the original versions. The PS4 version is identical to the PS2 version, but runs at around 900p resolution (PS2 version in this video is 480i). PS3 version is 720p.

Appleman

How is 5 in splitscreen on PS4?

Just finished RE4 on PS4 with my brother and thought it was a solid version, but I’m a little worried that we’ll be giving up some of the overall presentation by doing split screen instead of the full 1080p/60, but I’ve heard the game sucks unless you do coop

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

So you definitely want to play RE7. As for the rest of these games my answer is dependent on how much you like RE4. If you liked it quite a lot then I would check out Revelations 1 and kind of go from there.

I have the semi-unpopular opinion that RE5 (yes 5, not 6) is one of the worst games of all the major entries (at the very least it definitely has the worst boss fights). I used to love RE5 but a recent play through with a friend revealed to me that the campaign is actually terrible. Basically, the village at the start of the game is great but then the game immediately goes down hill from the point where you and your partner hop on the Jeep with turrets. The later portion of the game feels like it was designed as though the game was a more traditional 3rd person shooter but the mechanics of RE5 simply are not up to the task.
While there’s definitely fat that needed to be trimmed off of RE6’s campaigns I generally found what you’re doing in RE6 to be more interesting (and the campaign is full of so many “why is this happening?” moments that are kind of hilarious). Also, the mechanics of RE6 are poorly explained but weirdly deep? It’s a bizarre and kind of ambitious game that I would recommend checking out with a friend so both of you can ask yourselves “what the fuck was everyone at Capcom smoking while making this?”

As for the Revelations games, Revelations 1 is like RE4 spliced with RE1 (which includes all of the good and bad that comes with both types of games). Rev1 is a pretty solid (single player) game. Rev2... for whatever reason I’ve really only played Raid mode in Rev2 which is great but I haven’t really touched the campaign.

Aswitch

I’d honestly say all of them if you’re a fan with the possibility of skipping revelations 1 if you really need to(the only RE that felt bland to me) that . A lot of People aren’t a fan of 6 but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was (especially leon’s Campaign)

badflame

Banned
The top for me is RE4, RE1 remastered and RE2.

tumblr_mzvxk4eYJB1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Resident Evil games are on sale this week on PS4 so I bought them all lol By all I mean all available on PS4 and PS3. Resident Evil marathon starts now lol

Ahasverus

I'm playing REmake for the first time and I'm finding 7 shockingly similar to it. Like, wow, they even recycle the shotgun thingy.

Loving REmake, and loving 7 even more.

h0mebas3

For someone who has never played any of the games, which ones would you suggest? I'm ashamed I have never played them...but the first step is acceptance :)

.J.

Banned
REmake, 4 and 7. Soon REmake 2.

I agree with this.

Although, if I'm being honest, I had a hard time getting through 4 recently as I have a hard time going back to those controls (and I beat that game at least 20 times back in the day--one of very few games I'd beat, reset, start again, lather, rinse, repeat).

7 is definitely worthwhile, if anyone has any concerns about it. I don't have VR, but honestly, I think this game in VR would be the death of me. playing traditionally causes me so much anxiety that I can only play in short bursts. I'm only just now getting brave enough to play it like an actual game after beating the 2nd boss. Spooky stuff, kids.

For someone who has never played any of the games, which ones would you suggest? I'm ashamed I have never played them...but the first step is acceptance :)

From the ones I played I would say Remake, Zero, RE 2 if you have access to original release and RE 4 for sure and this is where I would start and it that order. If you start with Remake and you gonna like it then you will like Zero as well, if not then you could skip it and go with RE2 or Four but I really like RE Zero.

notaskwid

Ignore salty action Resident Evil fans that use 7's comparatively low sales as some kind of proof for it's lack of quality and play it.

Pilgrimzero

Play them all. Though I’d say Remake over 1.

And really I’d say skip 6. It’s a hodgepodge of stuff glued together.

5 is ok for one play through

Soodanim

•1's remake is very highly rated by pretty much everyone, definitely play that. Essential playing, for sure.

•2 has a remake coming, but who knows when or what it will be like. I'd recommend 2, any version at that, as it's possibly my favourite. Love the music.

•3 is a slightly shorter game that takes place both before and after 2. It has some good interesting mechanics added, like quick turn, ammo creation, dodging, and Nemesis who is the best villain/enemy the series ever did.

•Code Veronica is harder to recommend, as I enjoy it more knowing how to play it correctly. There are a few places in which the game is unwinnable if you are too wasteful with ammo, which means starting again entirely. Not essential.

•4 is one of the greatest games of all time. Drops 95% of the previous games' story.

•0 gets mixed reactions. Made about the same time as REmake, but a prequel. Another "Better when you know how to play it" because of the character switching and item dropping mechanics.

•5 is 4 not done as well with forced co-op mechanic that is to the game's detriment unless you have a friend to play it with, which makes up the difference a bit.

•6 is the most overproduced game of all time with mechanics and controls the internet had to explain because not one of the 600 people working on it bothered. I personally didn't enjoy the loose controls, the too frequent QTE cutscenes, or the continuation of the forced co-op. I hear it sold well, though.

That's all I've finished from the main series. Forget the side games unless you become a super fan off the back of this. As for the story? Just go with it.

Final recommendation:
Start with 1, if you like that go with 2 and 3, if you don't then go to 4.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Mainline:

REmake
CV (if you do feel it's getting a bit slow/boring from playing too much of the same formula then move to 4)
Revelations 2

Optional:
Dead Aim
Outbreak File 1 and 2
Gun Survivor

If looking for similar games of the older titles;

Dino Crisis 1
Dino Crisis 2
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Alone in the Dark

Looking for games similar to Resident Evil 4 to 6: