• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil games worth playing?

decisions

Revelations 2 and 7.

7 first half is incredible and Rev2 is a perfect modernization of the RE4 gameplay in terms of how it controls.The reason why it isn't an amazing game is because everything besides the actual mechanics are of a far lesser quality than RE4 (meaning the level design, enemy variety, etc.).

Also TEW. Though the last third of the game is pretty bad. I start TEW2 on Wednesday and it seems like a big improvement.

Gin-Shiio

Out of the bunch, Rev1 probably is the weakest entry, followed by RE6. The latter still has some merit to it though, I'd say. Personally, I adored Rev2 the most, but it really comes down to taste.

Resident Evil 7 is the best,RE5 is a good action game,not great but enjoyable,RE Revelations 1/2 are good too,more horror than RE5,I prefer the first,the only one you should skip is 6,utterly trash

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Which of the Resident Evil games I haven't play are worth playing?

- Resident Evil 5 - Really tense and exciting co-op game, not to great as a solo RE outing
- Resident Evil 6 -I really disliked this game. Some adore it doing acrobatic diving shots in Mercenaries mode though, but game is garbage
- Resident Evil 7 - Not yet played, but consensus is good but lacking variety...ie. gets rote in the back half
- Revelations 1 - Scanning killed this game. Dumb story and characters too. I say ignore
- Revelations 2
- Only a slight improvement over the first. Gets a bit better with progression, but I got bored with it and never did finish. It's a subseries that lacks the thrilling action of RE4 nor the survival tension of the earlier titles but tries to do both.

Masx

Banned
I question the few who recommends RE 6 and then say 5 is garbage.

Don't listen to these people, RE 5 was a great game and even better when played coop. RE 6 may as well have been named Umbrella Corps 2.

kc44135

RE5 and 6 are the best co-op action games ever made, and are must-play games, Imo. RE7 is the best Survival Horror game of this generation by far, and also a must-play. Revelations 2 is a very average game overall, but it's enjoyable, and has a fun story and some interesting ideas. It might be worth giving a shot after playing the other three. Revelations 1 is trash.

PooBone

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

That's it, in my opinion. Only one of those I haven't played is 6.

Shoeless

If you're willing to mess around with virtual reality RE7 is not just one of the better RE games, it's also one of the best VR games currently available. And by best, I mean terrifying to the point where you can't play for extended periods because you get too stressed out.

Perineum

It's been long time since I played Resident Evil game. The last one I played was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. I have played RE1, RE2 RE3, RE:CV, RE4, RE Remake and RE Zero but never got around to play RE 5, RE 6, RE7 and both revelations games. With Resident Evil being on sale I would like to jump back into the series.

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

7 is a must. The rest is up to you. I really dug Rev2 and 5.

5 and 6 are pretty great co-op games (although 5 is a lot better imo)
7 looked pretty good but I'm not that great with horror games so... yeah.
The Revelations games were pretty decent from what I've played of them but I never really felt like completing any of them.

I'd also suggest the Outbreak games since they're also great.

If you're willing to mess around with virtual reality RE7 is not just one of the better RE games, it's also one of the best VR games currently available. And by best, I mean terrifying to the point where you can't play for extended periods because you get too stressed out.

I can't use VR. I tried it but I was getting terrible headaches all the time and not really felt great after using it. I gifted it to my friend who seems to enjoy it a lot. it sucks I can't use VR but I would rather not use it than use it and feel terrible. It was the same with 3D glasses, I was getting terrible headaches mid movies so never bothered to use them after I tried them few times.

Fury451

Banned
6, 7, and Rev 2.

I really don't like 5 but it's not bad either. 7 isn't really my thing but it's not what I'd call terrible, just not the second coming of the series that some people want it to be imo

erlim

yes, that talented of a member

- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 7
- Revelations 1
- Revelations 2

Hey, Resident Evil 5 is a real solid game if you have a good friend to play co-op with. It also has some real bonkers (but awesome) cut scenes. It has RE4's mechanics with some interesting encounters designed for co-op...without a human partner, it's a really frustrating to play with the AI. If you don't have a human partner, I'd recommend skipping this entry.

Resident Evil 6 --- hard pass. Really boring story, way unfocused game play. Sloppy bloated set pieces. Really not a rewarding experience at all. Some people love the mele, but I didn't feel it. It's not like it's god hand.

Resident Evil 7 --- Amazing. Play this game now. If you are interested in VR, this is THE experience. Really is the closet feeling to the first time you played resident evil with the disconcerting surroundings and item runs for puzzles. Photogrammetry is awesome.

Resident Evil Revelations --- I think this is the closet experience to RE4 we have so far. It's a bit limited since it was designed for the 3DS, and it has a lot of killbox sequences where waves of the same enemy come at you. The design and layout of the ship is really cool though---very much like old resident evils.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 --- fun game. I haven't played this game since it's release and I played it local co-op with my roommate at the time. It's a nice linear TPS with enough resident evil settings to be fun. The mercenaries mode is very robust.

Shoeless

I can't use VR. I tried it but I was getting terrible headaches all the time and not really felt great after using it. I gifted it to my friend who seems to enjoy it a lot. it sucks I can't use VR but I would rather not use it than use it and feel terrible. It was the same with 3D glasses, I was getting terrible headaches mid movies so never bothered to use them after I tried them few times.

That's a shame, but also a valid point. If it's making you sick, don't do it. Take care of yourself. VR can sometimes be overcome through constant exposure, "building up a resistance" to it, but that may be more trouble than it's worth in your case, considering the symptoms you just laid out. I'd say you're doing the right thing.

Spman2099

RE7 is a great game. The others are (in my opinion) varying shades of bad.

Also, as others have said, VR puts it WAY over the top. RE7 in VR is one of the most compelling gaming experiences I have had in my life.

StarPhlox

Of the ones you listed, I'd say 7 is best and 5 is pretty good for co-op.

Of the games in the entire series totally worth playing I'd say it's basically REmake, 2, 3, 4, and 7. The rest are varying degrees of mediocre (Revelations games, 6) to good but not worth most people's time (0, 5, Code Veronica).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
RE5 is perhaps the greatest co-op campaign ever. Do that with a friend, and then RE7. It's a must play game.

I think Revelations 2 is easily superior to 1 in every way except for the Raid mode.

I disagree. Revelations has better atmosphere, and doesn't feel as choppy as 2 did in terms of pacing and story. And Raid is better in 2.

Zakalwe

Banned
Remake, RE4, RE2, RE6 and RE7 :) One from each RE gameplay type.

Do NOT play RE5, it aged like milk...

Lies. RE5 is a good RE, just not a great one.

RE5, RE7, and if you cant get it cheap RE6 only because it might not be for you with the more action approach (Chris' campaign in 6 is well worth it, though).

Necron

If you have a co-op buddy I'd say Resident Evil 5 (and then 6). They're a blast to play for the ultimate couch co-op experience. Loved them for that!

If you happen to have VR then I'd say Resident Evil 7. It's unlike anything I've ever played before. Even without the VR it's a great horror game to play which really goes back to its roots and the graphics really impressed me...

tav7623

If you're gonna play all of the ones you haven't played then I'd highly recommend you start with 6 which is the worst of the bunch (just to get it over with), then 5, then Rev 1 (though if you have a 3DS I would recommend that version over the home console ports as I feel it plays better on the system it was originally made for especially when using a CPP...if you have an original/non "New" brand 3DS that is), then Rev 2 (imo the second best RE game of the Post RE 4 era), and finish off with 7 which imo is the best of the bunch.

Now if you're only gonna play one of them then you can't go wrong with either Rev 2 or 7, but I should add that if you haven't already bought 7 then you might want to wait til Dec 12th when the Gold edition (which contains the game & all the season pass DLC) of the game comes out.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Oh just read that you can't do VR. Regardless, RE7 just happens to be the best VR experience, it is also probably the best first person horror game there is. (Probably because it has like 10x the budget of any of the other indie titles.) A lot of people are stoked and nostalgic for PT, but really, RE7 is so much more robust narratively, it's beyond comparison. It's worth every cent playing it on a regular TV.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with most others here. Play 7 for a solid single player experience.

5 is a great co-op game. Play with a friend and it can be a blast. Alone, it's a major disappointment.

I assume 6 would be a fun co-op experience as well but haven't played it.

Rev 1 was neat playing it portably on a 3ds, but ultimately a throwaway experience.

Haven't played Rev 2.

And 7. 5 coop is still one of the best experiences.

5 might be the funnest co-op experience I've ever had. Either RE5 or Portal 2. I can't decide. They were both so much fun to play with someone else

5, 6 and 7. People who don't like 6 are scrubs and they are not to be trusted. Rev games try to be action and horror but they just feel like cheap side games.

6 is a must play if you enjoyed 4's Mercenaries Mode. If you have the Steam version you can get a save editor so you unlock all the characters and stages for Mercenaries without having to play through the inferior campaigns.

I also liked Rev 1 but it's kind of a polarizing game.

Top Bottom