• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where your save file got corrupted/lost

Mass Effect 2 on PS3

I was doing the extra mission for Jack and the game froze while saving. I not only lost 40 hours on ME but the entire HDD was corrupted.

mdphilli

Never played Mass Effect 3 because my Mass Effect 2 save file got corrupted. I tried everything to salvage it.

It's just sitting there...

BasilZero

My SNES copy of Donkey Kong Country 2 for some reason auto deleted my save file.

I got to the 2nd to last area/world and it erased my data...tried it again and it would delete it again......

Kart94

Banned
Pokemon Gen 2.

Won't save..ever. All of them won't save.

If i want to replay any of them, i have to go emulate.

Falcs

Banned
Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker.
I made about 30 movies when I was like 13 or younger.
I formatted my PC and forgot to back them up.

Still kickin' my 30+ year old ass about it to this day... What I would give to be able to watch the stuff I came up with back then again...

My copy of Pokémon red, which I had played for 100 hours and had 150 Pokémon on, was deleted on Pokémon stadium when our power went out.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Happened to me on San Francisco Rush for the N64 after I collected all of the keys. I just created a new save file and got all the keys again.

Doomsday

Neo Member
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on Wii.

There is a bug where, when you save 10 pictures in your in-game cellphone, your save data will corrupt itself. It happened to me near the end of the game. It took me 3 years to go back to that game again because I was pissed/scared. I'm glad I did though. ^_^

Muffdraul

The last time I remember was when Parasite Eve was new, and I had just finished the part where
you're on the hospital roof and some fighter jets launch a missile strike.
I was using one of those 3rd party multi page mega memory cards, it glitched, and I lost all of my Playstation saves, about three year's worth going almost all the way back to launch... I had an official memory card at first and had to delete some stuff before I got the mega card. I was a real pack rat. Learned my lesson though, from then on I only used 1st party, got a DexDrive. I think it was like 2006 when I finally went back and started PE over and finished it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not corrupted or lost but I ran into the KOTOR jail bug and lost all progress. Fuck that bug.

qko

A whole 1019 GameCube memory card got corrupted shortly before I bought a Wii.

So long memories.

Cracklox

Had a few of these. The two that immediately spring to mind:

XCOM Enemy Within on PS3. 2 separate iron man saves eaten. One of those was a good ways in and I felt like I was starting to get the edge in the battle. Contacted 2k support at he time and that ended up being useless

Xenogears on PS1 years and years ago- Was though most of the first disk when a memory card corrupted. Didn't lose anything else too important with other games, but seeing as how I had Xenogears on loan, I never actually got back to it and beat it

Most recently, Stein's Gate 0 (R3) for the Vita.

Bought the game at launch, got around 6 hours or so into it (which were interesting enough, but pretty slow). Then a title update comes up, I download it, boom. The next time I start the game, I get an error message "Your save file is corrupted." Ah, my just reward for actually supporting localizations and buying day one.

After a healthy amount of swearing, I stuffed the game back in the case and never touched it again.

I lost my save file in Xenogears about an hour before the end of Disc 1.

Folks who have been through Xenogears know how devastating that is.

Coonce

does anyone remember the sony demo disc that had viewtiful joe 2 on it and wiped PS2 memory cards out?

I lost my 100+ hour final fantasy 10 save because of that :(

NoKisum

When I first got my 360 back in 2009, everyone was nagging me to get Fallout 3 because it was "one of the greatest RPGs ever made". A few months later, a little after New Vegas came out I think, I finally decided to sit and buy a new (cheap) copy of Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. Made it a few hours in and the game crashed, save gone. I tried three more times on three separate occasions, and the game kept crashing. One time, it somehow even took my save data for Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

Since then, I've vowed to never touch a Fallout game again until they're completely bug free.

Twelvy

Lost in the Dark on PS1 has an option to delete all the saves on the memory card, even though it was called format (I didn't know that word well at that time).
In my memory, you could choose which block to format, but it was the whole memory card in the end. I lost my complete Tekken 2 save (at least). hopefully it wasn't difficult to redo everything in this game.

Capshot

Neo Member
My Terraria world was corrupted after I put a couple dozen hours into it. My character survived, but at that point the damage was done and I gave up on the game.

I also had a copy of Pokémon Ruby in my Game Boy Advance when that was stolen, so maybe that counts too.

selo

Witcher 3, gog versión. Was about 1/3 into blood and wine. The cool thing is that if I wish to play the expansion right away I can, but not with my item/character attributes.

This was about a year ago, don't know if gig does cloud saves now :(

ciD_Vain

FFVII. At one point my cousin and I were on bad terms and he would let me play his PlayStation with a 60min time limit- not a single second more. I had just gotten Great Gospel for Aeris and was in the middle of saving when I hit the 60min mark and he shut it off.

I lost my save file for Final Fantasy 8 that was 100% complete with over 200h of playtime on it, because my memory card decided to wipe itself.

My save files for Final Fantasy 7 and 9 were also on that card and both were close to the final boss.

I've never played through any of those games ever since.

My original XBOX died with my KOTOR save halfway through the game. I own KOTOR on Steam now, but I've still never replayed and finished the game.

undrtakr900

Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast had people running around using gameshark (or whatever the device was called) codes to remotely overwrite the save files of other online players.

11/12 year old me lost months of progress.
Ah yeah, I HATED that, I think it was called getting "NOLed"(forgot what the acronyms stood for), this happened like 3 times, but I loved the game so much I just started over again.

The trick avoid loosing your data, was after your game "froze", immediately pull your memory card out. You would lose all your progress since your last save, but you won't have to start over from level 1 again.

Ala Alba

Add me to list of people who lost their Xenogears save to corruption.

I lost all motivation to finish that game after that happened.

RedSwirl

My main Gamecube memory card got corrupted, destroying the saves for most of my games. RE4 (right after finishing Professional mode), Skies of Arcadia, Melee, and like 30 other games.

I think all I had left was my other memory card with PSO and F-Zero on it.

undrtakr900

Disgaea 500+ hours and all my other game saves... I was fucking pissed!

All because of Viewtiful Joe 2 Playstation Demo Disc...

does anyone remember the sony demo disc that had viewtiful joe 2 on it and wiped PS2 memory cards out?

I lost my 100+ hour final fantasy 10 save because of that :(
Ah yes, that happened to me too >_<

As an apology Sony offered a free game, I got "Sly Cooper 2" (great game that almost made up for losing my data). Did you guys get your free game too?

Canadian

I had downloaded Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 when it became a free Games With Gold and had my save file corrupted. I was at the second last level on the hardest difficulty. I ended up replaying it on easy just to finish the game. Luckily it was short, but that game didn't really deserve a second play through.

Atomski

Telltale walking dead season one.. near the end. Did not want to play through it all again. Which means I never went on to the other seasons as well.

arcticice

Bloodborne, i had backup though.

AND Final Fantasy XV (did not have backup) Lost my 80 hours of progress. Was going to do Level 100 dungeons, but Alas, can't do them anymore

Kevdo

When I was a kid I left my Gameboy with Pokemon Gold in the car and my mom took the car on a school trip with my sister's class, some asshole boy in her class found it and erased my data because he thought it was funny. I wasn't amused.

Then back in college I played a lot of co-op Timesplitters 2 with my friend, I had unlocked like 95% of the stuff in that game (some of which is pretty hard) and then he turned off the gamecube while it was saving my profile. All of it lost :(

B.K.

It didn't get corrupted, but my sister once saved over my file in Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. I probably had a couple hundred hours in that save. I had done everything I could in the game. I had ever tool upgraded as high as possible. The biggest house and all the house items. I'd been to the bottom of the mines. I had hundreds of millions of dollars. I was on about my 100th year in the game. All gone.

gaiages

Banned
I had a cheapo memory card for the PS1 that corrupted. So many RPG save datas, gone.... From that day forward I would regularly back up my saves on a second card. One time, though, I hit delete on my Chrono Trigger data instead of copy.... 20 hours, gone. :(

I had my Oblivion data saved over, and I gltiched out the Dragon Age: Awakening DLC on 360 and saved before I realized what happened, effectively making the game impossible to beat. Sad times.

Lost my Dark Souls 3 save recently when I had to reformat my SSD. I guess it's partially my fault for not backing it up but I was fairly certain it would have Steam Cloud save support. Not really sure why it doesn't. I was right at the end too.

hexen

Neo Member
i just recently lost my save in sniper ghost warrior 3, after 25+ hours and around 75% completion. started the game and the option to continue the campaign was gone. it's a know problem that hit a lot of people but the patch released a couple of days later didn't bring the saves back. I deleted the game and will never touch it again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Witcher 2, after a couple hours. Didn't care much, game kinda sucked

Breath of Fire IV, on PS3, to YLOD. That one was very sad.

Same YLOD made me lose a lot of saves. I had a backup, but PS1 games couldn't be restored for some reason, and a few games had locked saves which couldn't be restored: I lost all my characters for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I remade them though :p wasn't so bad with duping.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
My brother was trying to do some dodgy DLC stuff with the 360 HDD.
He plugged it in the PC and everything got corrupted.
9 years of saves gone...
Haven't touched the 360 much snice then.

Top Bottom